Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The England Football Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The England Football Thread Page: <<   < prev  195 196 [197] 198 199   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 9:56:06 PM   
Scott_

Don't know why anybody would be happy with your team not qualifying for a World Cup. You must support a Premier League club.

Regardless of how shite the football is you always want your team to do well. Superdan knows.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5881
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 9:56:30 PM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

I wouldn't be sad if we missed out on the WC on our current performances. I'm sure I can live with not having to watch 4 dour games down the pub with mates. The most fun I've had watching tournaments was last year when England wasn't playing.

I would. I know that if England make it we'll be shit because we always are, but England being at the WC is like going to a wedding of someone you know well - they're still kind of lame but you're happy for them, and they're much more interesting than if you're going to one of you're missus' workmates that she has dragged you to when you only know a couple of people.

Euro 2008 was a fantastic tournament though

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5882
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 9:57:08 PM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Don't know why anybody would be happy with your team not qualifying for a World Cup. You must support a Premier League club.

I support Rotherham United

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5883
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 9:59:43 PM   
galvatron

Euro 2008 was better because England weren't in it.

We parked the bus really and went out for the draw. Though Ukraine lacked any creativity. I think whoever qualifies from our group will play negative and boring football in Brazil.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 5884
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 9:59:59 PM   
Scott_

quote:

quote:

Yeah....well. Shut up.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 5885
RE: The England Football Thread - 11/9/2013 8:13:28 AM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

What, by buying a pasty and Bovril at half time?

(I shouldn't laugh, I have a friend who travels to every home game, he was really happy this week as his wife's family are all Sheff U fans )

No idea where those performances come from. I know a point was the important thing (cliché alert - I'd have took it before the game) but some players seriously need to buck their ideas up. There was a real dip in how they play for their clubs week in week out.
Lampard, Gerrard and Wilshere (forget injuries, these 3 start every game if I pick the team) were abysmal. Their passing was as bad as I've seen all season, and I watch Leicester every week for fuck's sake.
I've been happy to accept we are a mediocre national side since, ooh, about 1990, the last time we had a decent team really, but I do expect the players to be at least as good - if not better- than how they play for their club team. I think it's fairly obvious that Gerrard, Lampard, Wilshere, Walcott have huge club seasons in front of them. Massively important, and they perhaps don't want to risk too much for a 2-bit national side. That's how it seems to me. I really don't know how you get the players sweating blood for the national side.
I've not seen it for over 10 years now, apart for the usual suspects who have never let England down (errr, Ashley Cole and that's it)
I'd still rather England were in a tournament than not. I honestly don't give a fuck about anyone else

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 5886
RE: The England Football Thread - 11/9/2013 9:04:30 AM   
Professor Moriarty

I used to think England were a quarter final team, that in a one-off game had an outside chance of stepping it up to beat a top tier country.

Is it true that we've only beaten Moldova and San Marino in these qualifiers? Seems we have to step it up now to have a chance if beating teams that rarely qualify even.

On the bright side we should be at the WC. But we all know we'll have as many injuries, more knackered players, little preparation time and I think getting out of the group would be a bonus.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 5887
RE: The England Football Thread - 11/9/2013 9:34:28 AM   
Dirk Miggler

If we do qualify no one in their right mind is expecting much from this team so at the the very least we should play with no fear and with nothing to lose.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5888
RE: The England Football Thread - 11/9/2013 9:38:21 AM   
galvatron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I used to think England were a quarter final team, that in a one-off game had an outside chance of stepping it up to beat a top tier country.

Is it true that we've only beaten Moldova and San Marino in these qualifiers? Seems we have to step it up now to have a chance if beating teams that rarely qualify even.

On the bright side we should be at the WC. But we all know we'll have as many injuries, more knackered players, little preparation time and I think getting out of the group would be a bonus.

Yes, this is true. Which to me makes it more weird that they're assuming they can now beat Poland or Montenegro when they haven't done so previously.

To hear the commentators saying how once we get Rooney playing behind Wellbeck we have a good forward partnership, dear god, I can see the top teams quaking at the thought of Welbs jinking past them and then kicking it towards the corner flag...

Post #: 5889
RE: The England Football Thread - 11/9/2013 9:41:59 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Have you ever seen that happen? Where England just forget everything and play football. I've not. I think if anything there is a risk they will regress and play more within their shell. This is why I worry about them getting out of the group stage, as I can see some other teams that get there potentially just going out enjoying their football, playing for the moment and beating us.

I've seen reports today that Roy is surprised that people are being negative about the performance as we got a result. While Roy and England are to be commended for not losing, I don't think there was one moment when they strung together some passes or did something inspirational. Playing for a draw doesn't necessarily mean you have to give the ball away every other kick and look rubbish. And let us also not forget that he sent out his captain the day before to say "We need to believe in ourselves, roll our sleeves up and put in a performance because if we were to get all three points it puts us in the driving seat," If you set expectations, don't be surprised that people are disappointed when these are not met.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 5890
RE: The England Football Thread - 11/9/2013 1:26:17 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

I used to think England were a quarter final team, that in a one-off game had an outside chance of stepping it up to beat a top tier country.Is it true that we've only beaten Moldova and San Marino in these qualifiers? Seems we have to step it up now to have a chance if beating teams that rarely qualify even.

That was the case up until recently. On avenge during my time following England they have been a pretty consistent top six nation who were always short of four or five top teams and needed to have an outstanding tournament and a bit of luck to actually win anything.

Now they are in a rebuilding phase and are maybe a top eight country at best. So for me if we get to the World Cup and get out of the group and give a decent account and look to progress with fresh blood after that, then its a good tournament for me.

As for last night it was pretty dire, but I think it was a case of job done. Their a decent side, its a tough place to go to, and a point and a clean sheet isn't too bad. We could have been a bit more positive with our subs but taking everything into account with all the injuries I am pretty happy. My main concern is having so little time to get the side to gel between now and June, but its in our hands and for now its just about getting there.

Post #: 5891
RE: The England Football Thread - 11/9/2013 4:37:29 PM   
BigBadWolf

I groaned right after kick off, it was like watching England in the Graham Taylor days. Kick off, pass ball to defender, lump the ball straight up field and lose possession with 6 seconds. I never understood doing that, what purpose does that tactic ever serve.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 5892
RE: The England Football Thread - 11/9/2013 6:04:37 PM   
galvatron

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

I used to think England were a quarter final team, that in a one-off game had an outside chance of stepping it up to beat a top tier country.Is it true that we've only beaten Moldova and San Marino in these qualifiers? Seems we have to step it up now to have a chance if beating teams that rarely qualify even.

That was the case up until recently. On avenge during my time following England they have been a pretty consistent top six nation who were always short of four or five top teams and needed to have an outstanding tournament and a bit of luck to actually win anything.

Now they are in a rebuilding phase and are maybe a top eight country at best. So for me if we get to the World Cup and get out of the group and give a decent account and look to progress with fresh blood after that, then its a good tournament for me.

As for last night it was pretty dire, but I think it was a case of job done. Their a decent side, its a tough place to go to, and a point and a clean sheet isn't too bad. We could have been a bit more positive with our subs but taking everything into account with all the injuries I am pretty happy. My main concern is having so little time to get the side to gel between now and June, but its in our hands and for now its just about getting there.

I don't get this attitude. We're yet to beat Montenegro in 3 attempts and we couldn't beat Poland in our last game with them. It's really arrogant attitude to assume that we're going to beat them when we look clueless against anyone who isn't Moldova or San Marino.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 5893
RE: The England Football Thread - 11/9/2013 11:25:48 PM   
Rinc

This is what I said when Hodgson was appointed and some people disagreed with me:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

And if anyone thought England played dour football already, just wait for Woy's era!

It's bittersweet to be proved right.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 5894
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2013 12:31:23 AM   
superdan

quote:

This is what I said when Hodgson was appointed and some people disagreed with me:

quote:

And if anyone thought England played dour football already, just wait for Woy's era!

Last night was still better than England v Algeria under Capello or England v Australia under Sven.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5895
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2013 10:36:13 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

This was hardly Mystic Meg. In one way, it is actually better than I expected. I did think that Roy would play two solid banks of four and deploy inverted wingers. The fact that he's not playing that shape is a step forward.

I do think it is right to start to criticise Roy. IMO what the England team lacks most is confidence. Or more acutely as we've seen England players say in the past, they play in fear. They play in fear that one mistake will see them plastered over the back pages of the papers and pilloried. Whenever I watch England that's all I think. That that fear is what is stopping them putting together 3 passes. Because technically they aren't Spain, but they can achieve that.

Only one man can get them over that and that is Roy. But I don't think Roy can. Indeed Roy seems to have gone into a detailed discussion with the press about fear before the last match. If his ambition was to put this story to bed, then I think the reality is like the golfer who thinks of the water he has to clear with the tee shot and immediately puts the ball in the drink.

One of the best man-managers (despite other faults) for me recently was El Tel. Do you really see Venables having a press briefing about England playing in fear?

I think the best way for England to overcome fear is to start to play some football and the manager has to be responsible for that. Ukraine are no mugs, but honestly even playing away England are a better side, and in playing for the result and point that leaves qualification (and Roy's job) in his own hands, I think that is at the detriment to a team that needs to start to progress if they are to get out of the Group stages at Rio. It doesn't have to be go out there and play with reckless abandon, but the clear message in the dressing room seemed to be "for God's sake don't let them score".

We have 18 months of Roy now. A tournament where England went out in the most lack-luster way where even the most ardent of England fans must have been pleased that Italy were not robbed in penalties, and now a qualification campaign that has seen England only beat the two minnows of the group. It's great to talk about the 2022 WC and how we will be winning that because we have young players being coached, but let's not let that pull the wool over the fact that not only is this current squad struggling to get any results in competitive games, but the manager is throttling the football out of them.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5896
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2013 10:50:37 AM   
galvatron

Roy's progressed from playing two banks of four to playing one bank of nine

Post #: 5897
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2013 11:18:16 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

In all this bluster and nonsense from the FA about the lack of English players in the Premier League being the problem, they seemed to totally ignore any link to coaching. Probably because they are responsible for that and have already let Rene Meulensteen slip through their hands once. He should be brought in St Georges Park straight away in order for us to gleam some of his knowledge.

At the moment who would be the stand out coach to replace Roy? That is the problem, just as much as the poor performances.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

Post #: 5898
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2013 11:26:47 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: galvatron

quote:

quote:

I don't get this attitude. We're yet to beat Montenegro in 3 attempts and we couldn't beat Poland in our last game with them. It's really arrogant attitude to assume that we're going to beat them when we look clueless against anyone who isn't Moldova or San Marino.

Yes. In recent memory, England have been knocked out by the first decent team they've met. Unfortunately it feels more and more like we might find a team of superior quality before we even get to the tournament.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 5899
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2013 11:50:49 AM   
Scott_

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes. In recent memory, England have been knocked out by the first decent team they've met. Unfortunately it feels more and more like we might find a team of superior quality before we even get to the tournament.

Weren't most of those were in penalty shoot-outs though? Only Germany gave us a proper spanking and in 2002 we lost to Brazil who won the World Cup. Italy gave us a spanking at the Euros in terms of possession but it's all about the goals and they couldn't score.

As shite as we are we don't lose very often, we've lost 3 times in 2 years (one of those defeats being the Italy penalty shoot-out). We need a manager who can get the creativity going in midfield, the best we've looked recently (friendly or not) was against Brazil at Wembley, Wilshire and Cleverley offered movement and the short passing that Lampard and Gerrard don't. If Carrick got plonked in front of the defense rather than Sir Steven of Gerrard then his passing and positional discipline would probably help the team retain some form of composure, we still won't beat the big boys but we'll look much better when losing. On paper anyways.

Post #: 5900
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2013 11:55:47 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Weren't most of those were in penalty shoot-outs though? Only Germany gave us a proper spanking and in 2002 we lost to Brazil who won the World Cup. Italy gave us a spanking at the Euros in terms of possession but it's all about the goals and they couldn't score.

As shite as we are we don't lose very often, we've lost 3 times in 2 years (one of those defeats being the Italy penalty shoot-out). We need a manager who can get the creativity going in midfield, the best we've looked recently (friendly or not) was against Brazil at Wembley, Wilshire and Cleverley offered movement and the short passing that Lampard and Gerrard don't. If Carrick got plonked in front of the defense rather than Sir Steven of Gerrard then his passing and positional discipline would probably help the team retain some form of composure, we still won't beat the big boys but we'll look much better when losing. On paper anyways.

Conversely, England have not been able to win these games. I also think that the recent Spain - Italy game showed that a penalty shoot-out is not just a lottery, and I think when the team exhausts itself and plays with fear then its a factor in being able to take the game to a boring conclusion, but isn't a way to win a game.

I agree about the midfield creativity.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5901
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2013 6:18:32 PM   
ElephantBoy

Not to sound boring or anything but I think we should win the two games coming up as they are both at home where in recent times England have been much stronger than away and also because they are against sides who are not that great and don't travel that well.

Hodgson took over at a difficult time and a time when England needed to lower their expections, and I think he is good when managing underdogs. I think he has done pretty well, and is starting to breed a few new players too. I like that he has employed an open door policy and made it clear than no ones place is certain.

Whether he take England much further remains to be seen, but for me his appointment was logical.

Post #: 5902
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2013 7:37:22 PM   
Rinc

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Last night was still better than England v Algeria under Capello or England v Australia under Sven.

Most of Hodgson's reign has being really dour though. And last night wasn't even the worst game under him.

quote:

quote:

This was hardly Mystic Meg.

Wasn't claiming to be Mystic Meg, but some people still disagreed with me though.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 5903
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2013 7:55:20 PM   
superdan

quote:

Wasn't claiming to be Mystic Meg, but some people still disagreed with me though.

I think it was more that some people were at least willing to give him a chance rather than writing him off before he'd even taken charge of a game.

There's been dire games under him and there's been a few entertaining ones. His stubbornness and contrariness in interviews is a bit daft at times, and there's no doubt he's currently putting an emphasis on being difficult to beat rather than enterprising, but at least he's been willing to break from the 4-4-2 of the last 3 or 4 England managers and he's shown a surprising amount of faith in younger players.

Even if we make it to Brazil I don't expect him to manage for long afterwards. Then we can have 4 years of the twitchy-faced crook in charge before he leaves in disgrace and ignominy. That's a Mystic Meg for you

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5904
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2013 9:04:20 PM   
directorscut

England must be the only team on earth that is unbeaten and top of their qualifying group and the fans and media are moaning.

This attitude is probably why a lack of confidence manifests itself onto the pitch. The team are scared shitless to do anything risky for fear of being crucified if they make a mistake.

Get a grip people!

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5905
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2013 9:31:50 PM   
Rinc

quote:

quote:

I think it was more that some people were at least willing to give him a chance rather than writing him off before he'd even taken charge of a game.

I was writing off his results, I just knew he wouldn't get us playing entertaining football. Which let's face it we've failed to do consistently for a long long time.

quote:

Even if we make it to Brazil I don't expect him to manage for long afterwards.

Jermaine Defoe will be in the team forever though.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5906
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2013 9:55:05 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

England must be the only team on earth that is unbeaten and top of their qualifying group and the fans and media are moaning.

This attitude is probably why a lack of confidence manifests itself onto the pitch. The team are scared shitless to do anything risky for fear of being crucified if they make a mistake.

Get a grip people!

You're a funny guy.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5907
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2013 10:24:05 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

At the moment who would be the stand out coach to replace Roy? That is the problem, just as much as the poor performances.

Current English managers in the PL:

Ian Hollloway
Steve Bruce
Alan Pardew
Sam Allardyce

Oh dear

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 5908
RE: The England Football Thread - 13/9/2013 2:52:04 AM   
Nezzley

Hodgsons' shown some flexibility in terms of formation but his general indifference to playing any sort of possession football is clearly hampering us big time.

Some of his methods translate well to international football, namely in terms of being organised and playing a direct, counter-attacking style that looks to exploit the pace of players like Walcott on the break. He's adapted to playing 4-2-3-1 and now 4-3-3, which is an improvement on the days of persisting with a strikeforce of Ngog and Torres at Liverpool. However despite the minor signs of improvement and expansion, he's still a very negative manager, both in his demeanour and his mentality when it comes to grinding out results or protecting leads.

The Ukraine game was by most accounts a pretty decent result, a draw away to a good side with some key players absent that leaves us top of the table with 2 games to go. For some other countries that might be viewed as winning at all costs, getting the job done, only worrying about the result. Something we've been accused of at major tournaments before. However the manner of the result can't be ignored and the inability to play out from the back, have any other ideas apart from hitting it long to Lambert and the lack of control or patience in midfield are all worrying signs for the coming games. It's in line with some of the other big games we've seen from Hodgson's England, against Italy in the Euros, away to Brazil and during the qualifiers we've been tight defensively and good on the break but the distribution from the GK and defence is so poor that we just constantly invite pressure, even against mediocre sides we revert to defending deep so see out a draw rather than keeping the ball. It's an all too common failing with England over the years but with Hodgson in charge it's only exasperates.

"Baby i'm in the jungle of mystery and i've just been tortured by a spinal surgeon and a genuine iraqi, yeh i'm serious!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5909
RE: The England Football Thread - 11/10/2013 2:46:36 PM   
Professor Moriarty

My mother tells me that when I was a nipper I used to watch Dr Who from behind the settee as it scared me (I've not seen it for yonks, but those 70s intros are still scary imo).

Anyhow, I have a feeling that I will be reverting to childhood to watch tonight's game.

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 5910
Page:   <<   < prev  195 196 [197] 198 199   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The England Football Thread Page: <<   < prev  195 196 [197] 198 199   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI