Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The England Football Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The England Football Thread Page: <<   < prev  194 195 [196] 197 198   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 1:48:34 PM   
ElephantBoy

If we are going to finish top think we will have to do it on points now.

A draw wouldn't be a bad result tonight as its a tough place to go and we have many ifs and buts but a win would go a long way in seeing us though.

I like the idea of giving Milner a game over someone more youthful and green, think this is a night for Pros and players who are going to put hard work and good tactics over antics.

Wellbeck has done well for England and now missing him is a big blow, but if Rooney is fit then him and Lambert could form a good partnership with one playing off the other.

Agree that the defence is the main problem, but I like that he is trying to push Cahill, fact is Terry will not be around too much longer and is freakly more trouble than he is worth. Lescott still has a lot to offer to me but needs a proper run of games, and Richards has a lot of untapped talent which could be an ascent. It is in the back four and goalkeeper where we need the most work between now and next summer (should we go to Rio). The Terry/Rio partnership has served us well but it is time to move on.

Disagree with whoever said that Lampard looks on his last legs, for me the guy has been very consistent the last year and playing some of his best football in a long time. For me he looks better than Gerrard who does look like a guy winding down. Lampard is very much at the Ryan Giggs stage of his career, but still can make a great impact from the bench.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 5851
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 1:51:53 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

A draw wouldn't be a bad result tonight as its a tough place to go and we have many ifs and buts but a win would go a long way in seeing us though.

I like the idea of giving Milner a game over someone more youthful and green, think this is a night for Pros and players who are going to put hard work and good tactics over antics.

Wellbeck has done well for England and now missing him is a big blow, but if Rooney is fit then him and Lambert could form a good partnership with one playing off the other.

Agree that the defence is the main problem, but I like that he is trying to push Cahill, fact is Terry will not be around too much longer and is freakly more trouble than he is worth. Lescott still has a lot to offer to me but needs a proper run of games, and Richards has a lot of untapped talent which could be an ascent. It is in the back four and goalkeeper where we need the most work between now and next summer (should we go to Rio). The Terry/Rio partnership has served us well but it is time to move on.

Disagree with whoever said that Lampard looks on his last legs, for me the guy has been very consistent the last year and playing some of his best football in a long time. For me he looks better than Gerrard who does look like a guy winding down. Lampard is very much at the Ryan Giggs stage of his career, but still can make a great impact from the bench.

You're probably right, seeing as how he retired from international football months ago.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 5852
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 1:57:30 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

You're probably right, seeing as how he retired from international football months ago.

Oh yeah forgot, but to fair that cry baby does so many U-Turns and I wouldn't be surprised if he does another one between now and Rio.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5853
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 3:05:21 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

Wellbeck has done well for England and now missing him is a big blow

Do you think it was a mistake playing him against Macedonia? The booking was very soft, but given how few options England have up front it appears in hindsight at least that keeping the best options fit for the Ukraine game would have been a wise option.

I don't have a problem with Milner starting. We know that internationals are tricky, and that can be especially true when you have to go to a hostile far away spot. So Milner gives cover down the flanks and will do his defensive duties. As noted above, a draw is not a disaster. Indeed, the impetus is more on the Ukranians to get a win than England. So I think it is better to go out trying to contain the Ukraine and looking for the breaks and happy with a 1-0 or even 0-0 than starting Townsend, Sterling or other more attacking minded players as I just don't think we have the ability to score 3 or 4 against them.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 5854
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 3:23:52 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

I think I'd be tempted to go quite offensive certainly outwide.

(4-2-3-1)

Walker -------Cahill-------Jags--------Cole
----------Gerrard-----------Wilshere----------
Walcott----------Lampard---------Young/Townsend
---------------------Lambert------------------------

Let them come at us and have something to really worry them on the break.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 10/9/2013 3:24:15 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5855
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 4:39:25 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Says a lot about where England are now.

Would Welbeck get into the squad for any other top international team (never mind first team)?

The answer is: Not a chance.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5856
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 4:42:30 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Would Welbeck get into the squad for any other top international team (never mind first team)?

Go on then I'll bite, clarify top international side?

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5857
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 4:51:13 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

Top eight? Top sixteen?

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 5858
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 5:07:06 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

Top eight? Top sixteen?

I think he'd clearly make the Columbia and Croatia squad and they're top 8.

Greece, Bosnia-Herzegovina, England, Switerland and Russia would also fairly obviously include him in my opinion.

I think you could argue a case for a couple of others too.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 10/9/2013 5:11:21 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 5859
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 6:03:42 PM   
directorscut

I think you're overrating his abilities.

Post #: 5860
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 6:32:56 PM   
Olaf

It's a bit of an overestimation to say that he'd 'clearly' get into the Colombia team - even beyond Falcao, Martinez and Uriel are a lot better than Welbeck as well (especially when you consider the latter is the same age as Welbeck). As for Croatia, I'd have Mandzukic or Jelavic ahead of him, and Rebic who's just joined Fiorentina looks like a good prospect. And Ivica Olic is still plugging away (I saw him score a bicycle kick last season, it was kind of surreal).

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 5861
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 7:28:13 PM   
superdan

quote:

I think you're overrating his abilities.

I think a lot of people underestimate his abilities. He's a long way from the finished product, but the main thing he needs to add to his game are goals and so far this season he's been doing ok in that regard, weighing in with some lovely goals already for both club and country. He's still a bit inconsistent but his touch and movement are good and he works hard for the team as well.

I'd not pick him ahead of Falcao (obvs), Martinez or Mandzukic, but the others I'm not so sure.

Post #: 5862
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 7:42:42 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

It's a bit of an overestimation to say that he'd 'clearly' get into the Colombia team - even beyond Falcao, Martinez and Uriel are a lot better than Welbeck as well (especially when you consider the latter is the same age as Welbeck). As for Croatia, I'd have Mandzukic or Jelavic ahead of him, and Rebic who's just joined Fiorentina looks like a good prospect. And Ivica Olic is still plugging away (I saw him score a bicycle kick last season, it was kind of surreal).

I didn't say that he'd clearly get in the Columbia team, the stipulation is squad.
Is Gutiérrez and Bacca far superior?
For Croatia you'd take Eudardo in his current state over him? What about Petric, and Benko?

No one is claiming he's a world beater but you'd pick all the above over a forward currently starting for Manchester United and scoring regularly so far in the Premiership and Internationally.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 10/9/2013 7:44:32 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5863
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 7:47:16 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

That should be a pen.

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 5864
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 7:58:30 PM   
superdan

England Expects... shambolic defending. And we have men doing their duty.

Post #: 5865
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 7:58:32 PM   
Scott_

1. What the hell has happened to Joe Hart?

2. Kyle Walker is not as good as Glen Johnson.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

Post #: 5866
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 7:59:39 PM   
Olaf

I'm possibly biased, but why doesn't Carl Jenkinson get considered for the national team? On recent form (ie the last ten months) he's a lot better than Kyle Walker at least.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5867
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 8:00:57 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

I'm possibly biased, but why doesn't Carl Jenkinson get considered for the national team? On recent form (ie the last ten months) he's a lot better than Kyle Walker at least.

I had that argument with someone recently. The best that they could come up with was that Jenkinson isn't the first choice RB for Arsenal.

Ukraine are closing down excellently. They've obviously discovered the secret* weakness of England in that they don't like being put under pressure on the ball.

< Message edited by superdan -- 10/9/2013 8:04:48 PM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5868
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 8:04:09 PM   
Scott_

Dude, I forgot Jenkinson existed to be honest. Must be Roy's problem too.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5869
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 8:08:40 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Dude, I forgot Jenkinson existed to be honest. Must be Roy's problem too.

You know, I've never seen you and Roy Hodgson post on here at the same time... put the iPad away, Roy.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5870
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 8:12:02 PM   
superdan

This has been the fastest 26 minutes of terrible football I've ever seen.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5871
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 8:19:37 PM   
superdan

What has happened to Wilshere's passing? Is he still carrying injury-rust?

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5872
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 8:32:42 PM   
superdan

Well that was a rank 45 minutes of football. The only consolation was that Ukraine appear to be at least as bad as England.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5873
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 9:30:53 PM   
James2183

When was the last time you remember watching an enjoyable England game?

A mate suggested the 5-1 at Croatia back in 2009. I can't honestly remember anything since then. International football is dross. Roll on Saturday.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5874
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 9:33:32 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

A mate suggested the 5-1 at Croatia back in 2009. I can't honestly remember anything since then. International football is dross. Roll on Saturday.

England v Sweden in the Euros was a hugely enjoyable game I thought. It wasn't the pristine tiki-taka we all apparently demand from football these days, but it was a bloody entertaining watch.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 5875
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 9:35:55 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Germany 4-1 England.

< Message edited by directorscut -- 10/9/2013 9:36:32 PM >

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 5876
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 9:38:30 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

Germany 4-1 England.

Good to see 'Angry Man' Robbie Keane's call to arms has served your boys well tonight...

Post #: 5877
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 9:43:40 PM   
Scott_

Good result, clearly went for a draw, didn't look like we got going at all.

quote:

I enjoyed the England v Brazil match at Wembley earlier this year, we pressed the ball, passed the ball, didn't play like Ireland and we won. Fun times!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 5878
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 9:45:26 PM   
James2183

I wouldn't be sad if we missed out on the WC on our current performances. I'm sure I can live with not having to watch 4 dour games down the pub with mates. The most fun I've had watching tournaments was last year when England wasn't playing.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5879
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2013 9:52:50 PM   
superdan

quote:

I wouldn't be sad if we missed out on the WC on our current performances. I'm sure I can live with not having to watch 4 dour games down the pub with mates. The most fun I've had watching tournaments was last year when England wasn't playing.

I would. I know that if England make it we'll be shit because we always are, but England being at the WC is like going to a wedding of someone you know well - they're still kind of lame but you're happy for them, and they're much more interesting than if you're going to one of your missus' workmates that she has dragged you to when you only know a couple of people.

< Message edited by superdan -- 10/9/2013 9:54:18 PM >

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 5880
Page:   <<   < prev  194 195 [196] 197 198   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The England Football Thread Page: <<   < prev  194 195 [196] 197 198   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI