Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The England Football Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The England Football Thread Page: <<   < prev  193 194 [195] 196 197   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The England Football Thread - 6/9/2013 8:26:23 PM   
superdan

Get in there Beetroot Rickie!

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5821
RE: The England Football Thread - 6/9/2013 8:26:38 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Lambert !!!!

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5822
RE: The England Football Thread - 6/9/2013 8:28:01 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Soooo.....this is exciting.

Reminds me of the senior citizens match in Father Ted.

Why are you watching the England game?

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5823
RE: The England Football Thread - 6/9/2013 8:28:23 PM   
Scott_

Rickie Lambert will lead us to glory next year.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 5824
RE: The England Football Thread - 6/9/2013 8:29:38 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Soooo.....this is exciting.

Reminds me of the senior citizens match in Father Ted.

Why are you watching the England game?

I'm keeping half an eye on it on my laptop. Watching Ireland vs. ABBALand on the TV.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5825
RE: The England Football Thread - 6/9/2013 8:32:03 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Gotta say how assured do we look playing at along the back four ? Christ ! I've seen non league players play it out of from the back with more confidence

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5826
RE: The England Football Thread - 6/9/2013 8:45:51 PM   
Scott_

Well that was a fucking stupid card.

And that was a good goal.

< Message edited by Scott_ -- 6/9/2013 8:46:22 PM >

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Post #: 5827
RE: The England Football Thread - 6/9/2013 8:47:44 PM   
superdan

quote:

Well that was a fucking stupid card.

And that was a good goal.

It was a bit silly of him, but for him to be carded when some of the thuggish challenges the Moldovans have put in have gone unpunished seems a bit daft as well. Took his goal well though.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5828
RE: The England Football Thread - 6/9/2013 9:07:48 PM   
superdan

Welbeck is the new Lineker.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5829
RE: The England Football Thread - 6/9/2013 9:08:01 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

This is like a training game....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5830
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 8:08:13 AM   
Dirk Miggler

A lot has been made of the lack of depth upfront but credit where its due, Lambert and Welbeck have stepped up and produced the goods when needed. The real problem area is at centre half, nail biting stuff watching Jagielka and Cahill play with it at the back. Praying that a new young buck breaks through in the prem this year to partner Jones if we get there.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 5831
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 12:17:38 PM   
Scott_

I kinda like Cahill, he makes mistakes when he tries to be David Luiz but I think he can be pretty solid in the bigger games. He was decent in the Supercup and Champions League final. He's playing European football so he's got that over every other centre half option and working with Jose might improve him.

Also, randomly checking out the U21 results and noticed Wales lost 1-0 to San Marino. And we thought English football was in the shit.

Post #: 5832
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 1:29:50 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

I kinda like Cahill, he makes mistakes when he tries to be David Luiz but I think he can be pretty solid in the bigger games. He was decent in the Supercup and Champions League final. He's playing European football so he's got that over every other centre half option and working with Jose might improve him.

Also, randomly checking out the U21 results and noticed Wales lost 1-0 to San Marino. And we thought English football was in the shit.

Im not convinced, Cahill is ok when your under the cosh and he's throwing himself about making blocks and last ditch tackles, but his distribution is average, positionally and reading of the game are pretty shocking especially when you look at how he was left in no-mans land by a drop of the shoulder and swivel from a 35 year championship level player in Kenny Miller. Not exactly what we want from our central defenders IMO and its a worry.

It highlights how fortunate we have been to be blessed with quality centre halfs in this country from Adams, Campbell, Pallister through to Rio, Terry, Carragher, King and Woodgate (when both fit). But as ever with the England we're always missing a few pieces of the jigsaw which stop us going that bit further. A few pieces and a lot of luck for which we've had none over the yeas.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5833
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 4:06:13 PM   
Nezzley

I like the fact that Gary Lineker and now The Guardian have come out of this game with vindication that Gerrard and Lampard can play together. Let's just forget the three major tournaments where it largely failed and be proud that it worked against the mighty Moldova.

"Baby i'm in the jungle of mystery and i've just been tortured by a spinal surgeon and a genuine iraqi, yeh i'm serious!

Post #: 5834
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 4:28:09 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nezzley

I like the fact that Gary Lineker and now The Guardian have come out of this game with vindication that Gerrard and Lampard can play together. Let's just forget the three major tournaments where it largely failed and be proud that it worked against the mighty Moldova.

Ah the old Gerrard/Lampard conundrum, more disappointing than these two top professionals and two of the most consistent performers in the PL not having the ability to find a way to play together was watching England's best midfielder of the last 15 years get pushed out on the flank then out of the squad to accommodate them.

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 5835
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 4:36:28 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

They always could, they couldn't though playing the backward formation of 4-4-2.

5 in midfield and one upfront has been screaming at us for the best part of 10 years but apparently the players wouldn't be comfortable and the fans weren't keen.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 7/9/2013 4:37:57 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 5836
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 4:38:52 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

They always could, they couldn't though playing the in throw back of 4-4-2.

I was just about to say the same.

Of course they could play together. You could have them and Scholes working together in a midfield with little problem if you are prepared to make adjustments elsewhere in the team (like not having two strikers, for instance). The fact that Sven and Capello weren't flexible enough to do so is their failure, not the players.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 5837
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 7:55:28 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

They always could, they couldn't though playing the in throw back of 4-4-2.

I was just about to say the same.

Of course they could play together. You could have them and Scholes working together in a midfield with little problem if you are prepared to make adjustments elsewhere in the team (like not having two strikers, for instance). The fact that Sven and Capello weren't flexible enough to do so is their failure, not the players.

Back then we beat a lot better teams than Moldova with them both in the middle so I dont think you can really take too much away from Moldova. Ultimately we fell short when it really mattered and until this team is tested in a similar circumstances I think it's too early to say.

Even if it is working now I don't think that's an indication that they always could play together, they are both now the wrong end 30 and not the players they used to be.

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 7/9/2013 7:57:55 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5838
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 8:08:37 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

Back then we beat a lot better teams than Moldova with them both in the middle so I dont think you can really take too much away from Moldova. Ultimately we fell short when it really mattered and until this team is tested in a similar circumstances I think it's too early to say.

Even if it is working now I don't think that's an indication that they always could play together, they are both now the wrong end 30 and not the players they used to be.

This is the last roll of the dice as far as they are concerned, I doubt they'll be involved much after 2014 (so in that respect it would be a damn shame if they failed to book their places on the plane to Rio). Certainly, at 35, Lampard looks like he's almost ready to be put out to pasture and may not even feature next summer if England make it.

Tricky game in Kiev though, and if England lose it's going to be tough to avoid the play-offs or missing out entirely. Ukraine are one of those teams I consider in the same bracket as England (Sweden and Croatia are others) who on their day can be daunting opposition for even the best teams, but lack the consistency and overall quality to challenge for honours, so it's a game that could go either way. Certainly only having Lambert and Defoe to choose from up front is an issue, especially when it looks like that water carrier Milner will be starting on the left.

< Message edited by superdan -- 7/9/2013 8:09:24 PM >

Post #: 5839
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 8:58:10 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Personally I would rather see Barkley or Sterling given the nod infront of Defoe or Milner, Sterling is pretty much a straight swap for Welbeck in terms of not having to mess with the formation and why even bring them anyway if not to give them a chance when we're hit by injurys and bans.
We've been here time and time again with Defoe, he's had more than his share of chances and never taken them. Milners a hard worker but shown to be lacking that something extra. Time to move on. Has Hodgson got the balls ?......

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 7/9/2013 9:00:50 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5840
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 9:00:29 PM   
galvatron

I'd look forward to seeing Sterling running into some blind alleys as well

I know he's only 18 but to me he doesn't look that good... He's certainly not shown me that he should be in the England squad.

Post #: 5841
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 9:15:40 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: galvatron

I'd look forward to seeing Sterling running into some blind alleys as well

I know he's only 18 but to me he doesn't look that good... He's certainly not shown me that he should be in the England squad.

You could say the same of Milner except the 18 years old bit

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 5842
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 9:18:52 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

Personally I would rather see Barkley or Sterling given the nod infront of Defoe or Milner, Sterling is pretty much a straight swap for Welbeck in terms of not having to mess with the formation and why even bring them anyway if not to give them a chance when we're hit by injurys and bans.
We've been here time and time again with Defoe, he's had more than his share of chances and never taken them. Milners a hard worker but shown to be lacking that something extra. Time to move on. Has Hodgson got the balls ?......

I can see the sense in starting Milner over Sterling. Sterling might offer more in terms of directly challenging the full-back but he's awful raw and does a fraction of the tracking back that Welbeck and Milner can offer. Barkley is more promising but he's not a wide-left player. Milner is uninspiring, plodding and predictable but he's also dependable and experienced. Given the context of the match I'd be shocked if Roy starts with anyone else.

Post #: 5843
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 9:32:49 PM   
galvatron

I rated Milner higher at 18 than I rate Sterling now. He just doesn't seem like he has a footballing brain to me. He dribbles and dribbles and doesn't use the ball usefully. Milner is a handy utility player it you ask me but he's nothing beyond that. I'd even be tempted to play Cashly and Baines on the left side to be honest.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5844
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 9:41:00 PM   
superdan

quote:

I'd even be tempted to play Cashly and Baines on the left side to be honest.

That's one reason why you'll never be the England manager. That kind of maverick thinking isn't approved of.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 5845
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 9:42:01 PM   
galvatron

No I couldn't be England manager as I'd be playing a 3 - 3 - 3 - 1 formation with a librero.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5846
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 9:56:06 PM   
superdan

quote:

No I couldn't be England manager as I'd be playing a 3 - 3 - 3 - 1 formation with a librero.

Nice. I too favour resurrecting the sweeper, it made legends of Beckenbauer and Baresi, only I'd incorporate it into a kind of wing-back based Christmas tree formation. I'm all about retro tactics these days.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 5847
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 9:59:50 PM   
galvatron

My England formation then:

------------------------------------------Hart--------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------Rio----------------------------------------------------

------------------------Jags--------------------------Cahill--------------------------------

-Milner--------------------------Wilshire------------------------------Cashley------

-Walcott-----------------------Rooney-------------------------------Ox-------------

--------------------------------Lambert--------------------------------------------------

There's my team for England's first game in the world cup

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5848
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 10:09:01 PM   
superdan

Well I don't want to tell the world our secrets but I just played against Uruguay in a friendly on Footy Manager using this:

------------------------------------------Hart--------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------Jones----------------------------------------------------

------------------------Jags--------------------------Cahill--------------------------------

-Johnson--------------------------Gerrard------------------------------Cashley------

-Walcott-----------------------Wilshere-------------------------------The Manc Pele-------------

--------------------------------Lambert--------------------------------------------------

And comfortably dicked them 3-1. With the elegent librero skills of Jones and the grey-haired discipline of Gerrard keeping things in order at the back, Johnson and Cole can get forward to their hearts content, with Walcott and Danny Muller coming inside to support Wilshere and Lambert as inside forwards.

You're welcome Roy.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 5849
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2013 10:55:21 PM   
Dirk Miggler

---------------------------------------Hart--------------------------------------------------

------------------------Jones--------------------------Rio---------------------------------

----Walker-------------------------Gerrard----------------------------------Baines----

---------------------Wilshere--------------------Lampard-------------------------------

----Walcott------------------------Rooney------------------------------Sturridge-----

Hodgson should beg Rio, on his knees and beg !!

I don't like having Lamps there i'll be honest.

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 7/9/2013 11:10:11 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5850
Page:   <<   < prev  193 194 [195] 196 197   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The England Football Thread Page: <<   < prev  193 194 [195] 196 197   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI