Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The England Football Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The England Football Thread Page: <<   < prev  190 191 [192] 193 194   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The England Football Thread - 16/7/2013 7:35:17 AM   
jonson

Not a thread about the women's England team, I'll try not to be too patronising, but they are pretty shit. Made hell of a difference when Kelly Smith came on (to be fair she is a good footballer, lovely control, reads the game well, physically capable) but I have been a bit disappointed with the standard so far. I can't claim to being an expert on the women's game, but the last few times I've seen the England play they were better than what I've seen so far against Spain and Russia.
Anyone beg to differ?
Still, they are still in it, fingers crossed they can get past the favourites France on Thursday.

I also just wonder if this will be Hope Powell's last game in charge. She's been England manager for as long as I can remember (must be since the mid/late 90's) and I'm thinking that perhaps she would have gone by now if it had been the men's senior team (well, in fact she would have been gone) However she's done an awful lot for England so should really call it a day herself.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5731
RE: The England Football Thread - 16/7/2013 8:00:00 AM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Not a thread about the women's England team, I'll try not to be too patronising, but they are pretty shit. Made hell of a difference when Kelly Smith came on (to be fair she is a good footballer, lovely control, reads the game well, physically capable) but I have been a bit disappointed with the standard so far. I can't claim to being an expert on the women's game, but the last few times I've seen the England play they were better than what I've seen so far against Spain and Russia.
Anyone beg to differ?
Still, they are still in it, fingers crossed they can get past the favourites France on Thursday.

I also just wonder if this will be Hope Powell's last game in charge. She's been England manager for as long as I can remember (must be since the mid/late 90's) and I'm thinking that perhaps she would have gone by now if it had been the men's senior team (well, in fact she would have been gone) However she's done an awful lot for England so should really call it a day herself.

To be fair itís only been during the last four years that many of the women playing for England have had contracts that have allowed them to focus primarily on football and no other employment prospects, Iíd like to see Rooney, Lampard et al playing for less than 200,000 a week, working full time, finding time to train and play but thatís not a debate I wish to get into. I doubt Womenís Football will ever reach the standards or overall quality found in the menís game they have neither the support nor the funding needed to really develop.

England have been okay in recent years, Runner Up in the Euros in 2009, Quarter Finalists of the World Cup in 2011 and they won the Cyprus Cup (an invitation competition) earlier in the year and played some good football. Unfortunately against both Spain and Russia they have been dire and I canít see them progressing against France.

Hope Powell has been in charge for 15 years and has worked wonders and been an incredible servant for the Womenís game but I agree I think she has taken the players and the team as far as they can go, if England lose to France I can see her stepping down.

Yes, always.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 5732
RE: The England Football Thread - 16/7/2013 8:18:06 AM   
jonson

Forgive me if you think I was being critical, I wasn't. I know they struggle to be taken seriously, and the funding is hardly on the scale of the men's, I have just been surprised watching the last 2 games that we seem to be a bit short of quality, compared to recent years that is.
Again, I'm no expert on the women's game, but I do make a point of watching and supporting them. I agree, Powell has been immense for the game but irrespective of what happens on Thursday night, I think it's time to step down. There was talk a few years ago of her moving into the men's game (a move I would have welcomed) but I think she's perhaps outstayed herself as England manager and may have done her future career more harm. I hope not though.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 5733
RE: The England Football Thread - 16/7/2013 8:33:27 AM   
impqueen

I donít think you were being critical I just think itís something that should be acknowledged (though the women probably prefer it wasnít) and apologises if the tournament has been discussed elsewhere but it was a surprise to see it mentioned here to be honest. Iím glad people are watching though and despite a sneaky feeling the BBC give Womenís Football airtime because they have no other sports to show it is positive having the games on television. I agree Powell has probably stayed on a bit too long and it will have a detrimental impact on her career if she wishes to pursue more managerial/coaching work. Itís a shame she didnít get the Grimsby job in 2009 it would have been interesting but England went on to have a decent World Cup in 2011 and that is when she should have stepped down.

Yes, always.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 5734
RE: The England Football Thread - 16/7/2013 8:44:25 AM   
jonson

I don't think it has been mentioned at all impqueen, hence the problem! My 2 daughters were gob smacked when I said the England team were playing Euro 2013, they honestly had no idea it was even on, let alone on the TV.
Perhaps if the media made a bit more about it, but trying to shoehorn an excitement level in between Grand Prix's, the Ashes, Wimbledon and the impending men's game has proved impossible. I fine it quite embarrassing for them to be honest. I bet a substantial amount of my fortune the other nationalities take it more seriously.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 5735
RE: The England Football Thread - 16/7/2013 10:08:19 AM   
superdan

I mentioned it in the 'What Are You Thinking' thread, because it appears the womens team are just as much a bunch of Munsons as the mens team. Proper chokers.

Kelly Smith is a ledge though. I'm sure it was just a coincidence that within a few minutes of her coming on England equalise

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 5736
RE: The England Football Thread - 18/7/2013 8:52:08 PM   
superdan

Yep... just as crap as the men's team

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5737
RE: The England Football Thread - 18/7/2013 9:06:41 PM   
impqueen

France are excellent though, I went 3-0 France but I can see it being more even with only 10 minutes remaining.

Yes, always.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5738
RE: The England Football Thread - 8/8/2013 1:48:34 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Lambert gets the call, fully deserved as well, although he probably won't start or feature at all !

Errrr isn't Rooney injured Dave ?

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 5739
RE: The England Football Thread - 8/8/2013 3:34:30 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

Anyone beg to differ?

Like the men are much better right now

Anyway when its suitable use this thread for either gender.

I am really on the fence about if the Men's team will qulifer for the World Cup. This is the worse set of players we have had in a long time and it is a bit of a task now as we need to win those two big away games coming up. It does maybe depend the Ukriane's other results also, so I am hopeful we will finish at least second and just get through.

As for Hodgson I am a fan of his and think he has gone about his job well so far, given what he has to work with I think there have been more positives than negatives so. At the moment if we get to the tournament and make it out of the group then that is good enough for me.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 5740
RE: The England Football Thread - 8/8/2013 3:43:16 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

Lambert gets the call, fully deserved as well, although he probably won't start or feature at all !

Errrr isn't Rooney injured Dave ?

Just seen the squad.To which was one of Englands main strengths it's quite unnerving the fact that our Defense looks weak on experience and ,overall, on quality.Midfield looks strangely ok.
Good to see Lambert get a chance and I think he has more to his game than someone like Grant Holt who was seemingly on everyones lips last season.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 5741
RE: The England Football Thread - 8/8/2013 5:36:12 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

I think all Football Ramble podcast listeners probably simultaneously said "Ricky Lambert celebrate" when they heard that news

Post #: 5742
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/8/2013 3:47:39 PM   
ElephantBoy

Its a pretty safe squad, considering it is only a friendly and we do know pretty much what the senior players give us it would have been good to have given a few more fresh faces a chance.

Lambert is a the real plus and I think I would start him with maybe Defoe as his partner. It is just the sort of game made for Lambert. No point in risking Rooney.

I think Ashley Young is lucky to get in considering his dire season last time.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5743
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/8/2013 4:21:13 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Guess why.

Would he still be in the squad if he played for Villa? Not a chance.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 5744
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/8/2013 5:02:27 PM   
big dawg

Englanders! I require some assistance. I shall be descending on the fair city of London on Wednesday morning for the small matter of a meaningless friendly between our two fine nations. Im flying into Gatwick and staying in Covent Garden....whats the nearest station for me?

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5745
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/8/2013 5:16:13 PM   
galvatron

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Guess why.

Would he still be in the squad if he played for Villa? Not a chance.

Just like that striker who scored one goal in the Premier League but happens to play for United!

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5746
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/8/2013 5:17:41 PM   
jonson

Penzance. It's only a short walk to the ground.

I assume you mean tube station? It would be Covent Garden Tube Station.
Enjoy the game

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 5747
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/8/2013 6:54:04 PM   
big dawg

quote:

Enjoy the game

Tickets for Penzance booked, cheers

It was more that a Gatwick express train can get me straight to London Victoria...or theres another that stops at different bits, Clapham, London bridge, blackfriars....whats my best bet, or does it not matter that much?

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 5748
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/8/2013 7:47:32 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg

quote:

Enjoy the game

Tickets for Penzance booked, cheers

It was more that a Gatwick express train can get me straight to London Victoria...or theres another that stops at different bits, Clapham, London bridge, blackfriars....whats my best bet, or does it not matter that much?

Go to Victoria and get the Victoria Line to Green Park. Change to the Picadilly Line and get off at Leicester Square as Covent Garden is a poxy little station with an ancient lift (or many, many stairs)...they're right next to each other anyway but Leicester Square is easier to get out of.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 5749
RE: The England Football Thread - 13/8/2013 4:13:20 PM   
Scott_

Forgot we had this game, just looked at the squad and it's...the same as always. If you don't play in the top 6, you are not good enough for mighty Engerland it seems. Wouldn't have minded seeing more players from lower down the league that impressed at times last season, Johnny Howson, Bradley Johnson and maybe a few of the Southampton players, Jack Cork, Lallana and Rodriguez. Not consistently brilliant but we are talking England here, not Spain and they actually play football, not watch it from the bench.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 5750
RE: The England Football Thread - 13/8/2013 5:03:40 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Forgot we had this game, just looked at the squad and it's...the same as always. If you don't play in the top 6, you are not good enough for mighty Engerland it seems. Wouldn't have minded seeing more players from lower down the league that impressed at times last season, Johnny Howson, Bradley Johnson and maybe a few of the Southampton players, Jack Cork, Lallana and Rodriguez. Not consistently brilliant but we are talking England here, not Spain and they actually play football, not watch it from the bench.

It says a lot about the state of the England team and the so-called rivalry between England and Scotland that apparently the game isn't even a sell-out. I just can't summon up any enthusiasm to see the same old faces (Gerrard, Lampard, Milner, Defoe.. in a pre-season friendly. Really?) jogging around the pitch to the off-key blaring of that fucking band, all while the England fans are shown up by being outsung on their own patch by a bunch of Scotland fans who still cling to the delusion that EngvSco is a fixture that means anything.

I was going to go to the U-21's game tonight, but luckily I have to go out for a drink with work so I managed to dodge that bullet

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5751
RE: The England Football Thread - 14/8/2013 10:01:58 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

It says a lot about the state of the England team and the so-called rivalry between England and Scotland that apparently the game isn't even a sell-out. I just can't summon up any enthusiasm to see the same old faces (Gerrard, Lampard, Milner, Defoe.. in a pre-season friendly. Really?)

This.

If I want to watch two technically inept second rate teams then surely this is why the Championship has kicked off

Seriously, I can't blame people for not buying tickets, England are crap and Scotland are crapper, why pay through the nose to see that? Plus it will most likely be all subs and a game played at training speed as no English player will want to get injured before the PL season kicks off.

Add the fact that its on ITV and that's a great reason not to even bother having it on in the background at home.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5752
RE: The England Football Thread - 14/8/2013 11:16:00 AM   
Dirk Miggler

How I would like to see the team line up with what's available in the squad, a 4-3-3 with Carrick sitting slightly deeper.

Harte

Walker Jones Jagielka Baines

Carrick

Gerrard Wilshere

Zaha Lambert Ox

I think Rooney and Welbeck will start over Lambert and Zaha, Johnson will probably be in front of Walker, I've never liked him and think he's defensively inept and not as good going forward as the pundits would have you believe. I would like to see Richards in there if fit and if he's getting a shirt for city. Cole will start over Baines.

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 14/8/2013 11:18:43 AM >

Post #: 5753
RE: The England Football Thread - 14/8/2013 11:45:20 AM   
Goodfella

First England player down.

Carrick out with 'an eye infection'.

Surprised it took this long to be honest...

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 5754
RE: The England Football Thread - 14/8/2013 12:05:40 PM   
superdan

quote:

How I would like to see the team line up with what's available in the squad, a 4-3-3 with Carrick sitting slightly deeper.

Harte

Walker Jones Jagielka Baines

Carrick

Gerrard Wilshere

Zaha Lambert Ox

I think Rooney and Welbeck will start over Lambert and Zaha, Johnson will probably be in front of Walker, I've never liked him and think he's defensively inept and not as good going forward as the pundits would have you believe. I would like to see Richards in there if fit and if he's getting a shirt for city. Cole will start over Baines.

I'd prefer to see Smalling alongside Jones rather than Jagielka. They are surely the long-term central partnership for England given their ages and the fact that they both play at the same club. Jagielka is a capable defender but he's a stop-gap, nothing more.

The conservatism over England selections (and this isn't a Hodgson thing - every England manager is the same) is incredibly frustrating at times. Why is it always the same faces, who've proven they didn't have what it takes when they were in their prime, never mind now, who get picked even for friendlies? I can understand that qualification campaigns are results-driven, but friendlies should be an opportunity to pick the players that wouldn't normally be considered (for whatever reason). And given that more than half the players in the PL are not English, why are players in the Championship deemed unworthy of consideration? It does my swede in sometimes.

Post #: 5755
RE: The England Football Thread - 14/8/2013 12:42:55 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Completely agree and fair point with Smalling, I might have included him if it weren't for his lack of appearances and form for Utd last season.

Not sure how Young got a call up I would imagine a player like Nathan Dyer might be looking on and wondering what does he need to do ? 2 goals in a cup final and Young gets selected coming off an injury.

Not sure on the fitness of Richards but I would like to see him and Lowton involved this season and a couple of the the Southampton lads aswell.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5756
RE: The England Football Thread - 14/8/2013 12:55:12 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

It says a lot about the state of the England team and the so-called rivalry between England and Scotland that apparently the game isn't even a sell-out. I just can't summon up any enthusiasm to see the same old faces (Gerrard, Lampard, Milner, Defoe.. in a pre-season friendly. Really?)

This.

If I want to watch two technically inept second rate teams then surely this is why the Championship has kicked off

Seriously, I can't blame people for not buying tickets, England are crap and Scotland are crapper, why pay through the nose to see that? Plus it will most likely be all subs and a game played at training speed as no English player will want to get injured before the PL season kicks off.

Add the fact that its on ITV and that's a great reason not to even bother having it on in the background at home.

Spoken like a true armchair supporter.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 5757
RE: The England Football Thread - 14/8/2013 1:19:33 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

This.

Spoken like a true armchair supporter.

I don't even make the grade of armchair supporter of England any more. Is there something that is below that, but slightly above troll

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

First England player down.

Carrick out with 'an eye infection'.

Surprised it took this long to be honest...

Honestly, I don't know if I blame him. If he stays fit, he's going to play a lot of games for Utd this season. Roy knows what he can do and will pick him for the next competitive game. I think with regards to England playing a different style or tactic then I expect all that work has been done on the training pitch.

On a related note, I just saw that Kagawa is playing for Japan. They seem to have had a game every week over the summer with the Confederations Cup, WCQ, etc. I know we talk about a winter break and giving players a rest, but I used to believe that if it wasn't a WC or Euro year they at least got a rest over the summer. I'd not be surprised if he's injured by the end of October for 4 weeks.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 5758
RE: The England Football Thread - 14/8/2013 4:42:53 PM   
galvatron

How is Ashley Young in this squad, he was abysmal last season and then injured and he's probably going to start. The top four bias is awful really. Lambert should've been picked ages ago but will probably get a 2nd half run on and then dropped next game once other players are fit again.

Post #: 5759
RE: The England Football Thread - 14/8/2013 4:53:49 PM   
superdan

Young pulled out of the squad a couple of days ago with an ankle injury.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 5760
Page:   <<   < prev  190 191 [192] 193 194   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The England Football Thread Page: <<   < prev  190 191 [192] 193 194   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI