Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The England Football Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The England Football Thread Page: <<   < prev  188 189 [190] 191 192   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The England Football Thread - 30/5/2013 8:00:52 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Andy Townsend talking absolute shite.

You'd said enough already.

You had me at Andy Townsend

I only sporadically watched it last night, but thought in the patches I saw, England played OK.
Sure, it was Premiership vs Division 1 (apart from the God-like St Legend (who seems to be on his way out of Leicester for some stupid reason )) so the difference in class should have shown, but overall it was a good performance from people who I think will lead the next wave of failures, I mean, Golden generation.
The Ox, Walcott played well, will be more settled when Jack Wilshere and Tom Cleverely get fit and used to a system, we know Carrick is a decent player, Lampard still has 2 years of playing IMO (surrounded by fitter players at least) better choices up front, some good defenders who now need another season or 2 of Premiership action to really hone their skills, and a good goalkeeper.
It was a worthy test against a team playing in their World Cup Final (yes, I'm being very patronising but they are shit, hence why Panama are rated a better team) but hats off to their goal, superb cross, fantastic header

I've stopped being negative about England because it's not worth it.
I am going to be positive from now on, whilst remaining realistic (we'll qualify but get knocked out first round )

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5671
RE: The England Football Thread - 30/5/2013 9:30:05 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

Really want to be positive and we have looked like we might be progressing toward something, but last night was a huge step back.
4-4-2 - Proven to be shite, year after year, tournament after tournament. We change to a more progressive formation for a few months and then go back. Sort it out FFS.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 5672
RE: The England Football Thread - 30/5/2013 10:25:09 AM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I've stopped being negative about England because it's not worth it.
I am going to be positive from now on, whilst remaining realistic (we'll qualify but get knocked out first round )

You negative old bastard.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 5673
RE: The England Football Thread - 30/5/2013 10:29:32 AM   
Harry Tuttle

OT

@Rinc.

Surprised you didn't use Everton's new crest as a forfeit for your bet thereby nullifying any enjoyment Mr Lime gets from seeing it .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5674
RE: The England Football Thread - 30/5/2013 10:32:14 AM   
Rinc

I should have done and now I won't get a chance again with Martinez taking them down next season.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 5675
RE: The England Football Thread - 30/5/2013 11:35:30 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I don't think England will even qualify for the WC.

I think you normally look at friendlies to try something new. And England didn't. I understand that the 4-4-2 might not have been such a traditional 4-4-2, but it still does seem like we had found a nice shape and instead of getting more comfortable with that and having more practise we reverted. I'll understand that you might need a plan B, but we already know that is a crap one. There is little time and opportunity till the final 4 qualifiers and IMO its a bit crazy not to try to take advantage of what you have.

- Sturridge (despite some good stats for Liverpool recently) has quite a limited game. He rarely seems to look up and if England are going to lead with the big man up front, then Carroll still seems imo the best candidate

- Rooney is a liability in midfield. I can see what he is looking to do, i.e. release a player early, but it seems as likely to result in a mis-placed pass and pressure straight back on England

- Given the above two. IMO Rooney should be the lone front man, who is working those defenders for 90 minutes. That doesn't mean he needs to stand on their shoulder for the whole game, I think he can happily drift back to the hole where they don't know whether to follow him or not

- Lampard's run was the best England moment of the game for me. He's not getting any younger, but he timed his run well. I thought that too often England had too few bodies in the box when we had the ball. Lampard, Gerrard, Wilshere or whoever is playing in the middle of the park has to be encouraged to get forward and take a gamble. The two central defenders and Carrick are all going to sit back so there should be chance to do this.

- Glen Johnson looks lost. He seems to be back when he should be forward, forward when he should be back and in no-man's land the rest of the time. Jones is looking like a better option to me.

- Walcott and Ox could be a very frightening wide option in a 4-2-3-1, but a lot of work is needed there both individually and with the full backs

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 5676
RE: The England Football Thread - 30/5/2013 12:51:04 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

My twopenth, although anyone who's been around here a few years will have read it all before.

1 up front, and IMHO that should be Rooney. Stop all this build a side around him shit, he's the lead forward if his form dips enough drop him, and I don't mean into midfield.

2 deeper midfielders to give us the base to actually get after teams in the attacking part of the field. If Gerard or Lampard play they have to be in this role, not as one of the attacking 4.

Pace amongst the supporting midfielders/forwards. Rooney isn't blessed with it so it has to come from somewhere. We seem to have a glut of wide players come forwards who should be used in that role.

The player behind Rooney has to be creative and ability moving with the ball. No point having Frank or Gerrard in this role.

Work on free kicks FFS!

The two deeper lying midfielders need to be able to retain possession, with the other members of the team. Hollywood balls through from back to front should be a rarity.

Still not convinced on either of the centre halves, especially against decent opposition. Great header last night but fucking hell no challenge and Shane Long. Not good enough.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 30/5/2013 12:54:28 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

Post #: 5677
RE: The England Football Thread - 30/5/2013 10:14:49 PM   
Professor Moriarty

So, the game against Brazil might be off as it seems someone forgot to build the stadium

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 5678
RE: The England Football Thread - 30/5/2013 10:21:09 PM   
Rinc

I reckon it was the flooding in the VIP area that really tipped the authorities over the edge.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 5679
RE: The England Football Thread - 30/5/2013 10:45:37 PM   
Skiba

It's just been confirmed that it's off due to safety concerns of 4-4-2

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5680
RE: The England Football Thread - 31/5/2013 7:23:12 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

I reckon it was the flooding in the VIP area that really tipped the authorities over the edge.

Loos have been unblocked. And the closest Defoe will ever get to a WC Final is back on again!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5681
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 7:53:01 PM   
Skiba

How much of the ball are we gonna see tonight? Jagielka and Cahill is a worry!

Post #: 5682
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 8:08:46 PM   
directorscut

Andy Townsend seems to think England are playing Brazil from the '70s.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 5683
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 8:13:19 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Brazil showing just how good they are. This England team went a goal down to Ireland a few days ago, but pulled it around for a mighty draw against the green machine. Ireland have gone on to a 4-0 rout today. So, Brazil will be happy to be holding England right now.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5684
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 8:15:05 PM   
Scott_

Shane Long > Neymar

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

Post #: 5685
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 8:21:08 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Shane Long > Neymar

Finall some sense on these boards.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5686
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 8:24:01 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Shane Long > Neymar

Finall some sense on these boards.

Fred > Niall Quinn

Post #: 5687
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 8:24:32 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

Andy Townsend seems to think England are playing Brazil from the '70s.

I blame David Luiz for that, stick a goatee and a pair of flares on him and stick him in the back of the Mystery Van with Scooby

Post #: 5688
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 8:43:12 PM   
Skiba

Quality from Johnson and Walcott was just a bit hesitant...just stay in their half Glenn, it'll be fine!

Post #: 5689
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 8:44:08 PM   
superdan

"I just think England have been disappointing going forward with the quality of their passing"

~ Andy Townsend does a good impression of someone watching England for the first time.

Post #: 5690
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 8:45:09 PM   
Scott_

Long ball merchants these Brazilians.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 5691
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 8:50:33 PM   
superdan

It's weird to think that the last time we played against Brazil was just a few months or so ago and Wilshere bossed the game. Today our 'keeper is half-time mom!

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5692
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 8:51:50 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

It's weird to think that the last time we played against Brazil was just a few months or so ago and Wilshere bossed the game. Today our 'keeper is half-time mom!

Gerrard played as well...would be interesting to see them and Carrick in the middle.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5693
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 9:05:40 PM   
superdan

Urgh, no feed from Brazil means having to put up with Chiles' inane dribblings and Boglin face... urgh.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 5694
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 9:14:44 PM   
Scott_

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Urgh, no feed from Brazil means having to put up with Chiles' inane dribblings and Boglin face... urgh.

Boglins were awesome, Adrian Chiles is not.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5695
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 9:19:04 PM   
superdan

England's midfield movement and passing has been beyond dreadful. What is it about putting on an England shirt that makes players incapable of performing the basics?

Edit: No more than Brazil deserve there.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5696
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 9:23:56 PM   
Scott_

The Ox in the middle? Cool. Would like to see Rodwell on for Lampard at some point.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5697
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 9:28:48 PM   
Scott_

THE OX!

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5698
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 9:34:03 PM   
directorscut

Is there a worse commentator out there than Clive Tyldesley? I find it hard to believe there is.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5699
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/6/2013 9:36:47 PM   
superdan

quote:

Is there a worse commentator out there than Clive Tyldesley? I find it hard to believe there is.

You have clearly (and quite understandably) wiped all memory of Peter Drury from your mind. He makes me want to shoot myself in the ears.

Post #: 5700
Page:   <<   < prev  188 189 [190] 191 192   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The England Football Thread Page: <<   < prev  188 189 [190] 191 192   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI