Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Terry retires from England

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Terry retires from England Page: <<   < prev  179 180 [181] 182 183   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 9:55:24 AM   
jonson

Yeah, jump before you're pushed, spinelsss twat.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 5401
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 10:09:49 AM   
Sinatra

Whatever you say about him off the field, he's been the best England centre back since Tony Adams... it's good news for Chelsea though.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 5402
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 10:20:02 AM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

Whatever you say about him off the field, he's been the best England centre back since Tony Adams... it's good news for Chelsea though.

He doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Tony Adams after his antics at the 2010 World Cup (not to mention his performances). try Sol Campbell instead.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5403
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 10:45:48 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

Terry is one of the best English defenders of all time - great player. As a person not as great but people take the personal hatreds out of it I've seen so many great performances over the years, a really brave defender who put his body on the line continously.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5404
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 11:07:38 AM   
Olaf

You're joking right?

Bobby Moore
Tony Adams
Terry Butcher
Billy Wright
Jack Charlton
Sol Campbell
Rio Ferdinand
Ledley King
Des Walker
Viv Anderson

if we're talking just centre backs. If you're saying best English defenders of all time - Ashley Cole, Kenny Sansom, Stuart Pearce...

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 5405
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 11:49:02 AM   
superdan

Exactly. Fuck, I'd have had Woodgate when he was fit over Terry.

Edit: Besides which, why does he feel his position has become untenable? Because the hearing that we've all known for months was coming has finally started? Did he believe they were going to call it off or something?

< Message edited by superdan -- 24/9/2012 11:51:18 AM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5406
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 12:14:01 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Maybe he just got lucky playing in a Chelsea team that won so much and winning 78 England caps . Terry comfortably fits in with that bunch especially if you've got Sol Campbell in there!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5407
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 12:36:06 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Maybe he just got lucky playing in a Chelsea team that won so much and winning 78 England caps . Terry comfortably fits in with that bunch especially if you've got Sol Campbell in there!

He kind of did get lucky. Jose Mourinho built a team specifically to limit the number of opportunities for the opposition to score to a minimum. That's why players like Geremi and Boulahrouz also have a stack of medals on the back of it. As soon as Mourinho left, Terry's abilities seemed to mysteriously fade and he was found increasingly wanting. Interestingly, his behaviour after Mourinho left seemed to get worse. Leading player revolts both for club and country, cash in brown paper bags, philandering and racist insults. Lying at half time after getting sent off, gatecrashing the celebrations at the final... as I said, good riddance. Pick Cahill. Pick Jagielka. Pick anyone, I don't care. I'm just glad that poisonous twunt is not going to be wearing an England shirt anymore.

Unless England win in 2014, when I expect he'll turn up in full England kit to hold up the trophy

Post #: 5408
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 12:40:36 PM   
matty_b

quote:

Maybe he just got lucky winning 78 England caps

Irrelevant.

Heskey's got 62.

Glenn Hoddle's got 44.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 5409
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 12:41:47 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

Maybe he just got lucky winning 78 England caps

Irrelevant.

Heskey's got 62.

Glenn Hoddle's got 44.

Matt Le Tissier...

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5410
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 1:11:11 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

missed opportunity to dump him prior to the world cup.

Shame we've got injuries in that area, but if it means we have to put up with Lescott a bit longer I wouldn't be happy but I'd take it.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5411
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 1:46:11 PM   
Brooksy84

Good riddance to the odious little toad. I can't imagine anyone other than Chelsea fans, who like go shout to anyone that will listen that he's a Ledge, will be too bothered either. For too long he's relied on his bravery and willingness to get hurt for the cause to mask his other deficiencies. Tata.

http://averagefootballfan.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 5412
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 1:59:14 PM   
Harry Lime

Agreed. He was willing to put himself on the line for the cause (laudable) but he was, for the most part, a one-paced oaf who relied on better players to sweep up around him (Carvalho, Ferdinand, etc) whilst at the same time playing up to a no-nonsense, "hardman" image that a deranged but sizeable core of the English following (and tabloid media) seem to think equates to leadership.

To put him up there with the likes of Bobby Moore, Tony Adams or even Terry Butcher is laughable. He was a poor man's Jack Charlton at very best.

To be honest, I don't give a damn what he is like as a person, either way.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 5413
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 8:14:23 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Lime

Agreed. He was willing to put himself on the line for the cause (laudable) but he was, for the most part, a one-paced oaf who relied on better players to sweep up around him (Carvalho, Ferdinand, etc) whilst at the same time playing up to a no-nonsense, "hardman" image that a deranged but sizeable core of the English following (and tabloid media) seem to think equates to leadership.

I'd like to know of a few examples where he has galvanised the entire squad behind him, ensuring everyone is together towards a single aim.
Not just playing to those who are happy to follow blindly but showing true leadership, rather than dictatorship.
A true leader would have worked alongside Gerrard not deliberately undermined him, sending out comments to the press about unrest etc. Moaning about how his is being victimised, while making dodgy deals on the back of his captaincy.

The announcement yesterday encapsulated the man as he claimed the FA made his position untenable, another find example of true inspirational leadership.
What ever the FA may have done it is all as a direct result of his poorly chosen actions, of which there are numerous the race incident being merely the most recent, his own actions have led to where he is now, and yet he has the nerve to attempt to play the victim card.

The young England players are in a better position without his influence.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 24/9/2012 8:18:16 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 5414
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 8:55:00 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Lime

a one-paced oaf who relied on better players to sweep up around him

Really? So why didn't the likes of Mourinho, then Hiddink, then Ancelotti see through him and get rid of? That's not of course including various England managers down the years.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 5415
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 8:56:56 PM   
matty_b

quote:

who relied on better players to sweep up around him (Carvalho, Ferdinand, etc)

Because they made him, and his admitted ability to throw himself in front of anything, look good and vital to the cause.

Once those better players were gone, his limits were exposed.

< Message edited by matty_b -- 24/9/2012 8:58:02 PM >

quote:

Post #: 5416
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 9:07:29 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

who relied on better players to sweep up around him (Carvalho, Ferdinand, etc)

Because they made him, and his admitted ability to throw himself in front of anything, look good and vital to the cause.

Once those better players were gone, his limits were exposed.

He looked pretty good in CL last year till he got sent off - he was excellent against Barcelona in the first leg of the semi for example.

I don't understand why a succession of world class managers wouldn't have dumped him if he was just made to look good by others around him - it should be fairly obvious to the likes of the people I mentioned.

Bring in someone proper and your defence gets even better, it's not as if they would have been lacking funds. I think you lot are being harsh because he's a bit of a tosser

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5417
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 9:10:14 PM   
matty_b

You know who else is a tosser? Ashley Cole. And he's probably been the best left back in the world for the last five years or so. My personal opinion of Terry has no bearing on my assessment on him as a player.

Another reason numerous managers didn't dump him is because they were scared to, quite frankly - the Chelsea ones because of the sway he held in the dressing room and the England ones because of the media reaction.

quote:

Post #: 5418
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 9:24:50 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

If he was a shit defender he'd get more grief from the press for England playing him because his mistakes would be leading to goals - and I seriously doubt the likes of Mourinho, Ancellotti and Hiddink kept him in because they were scared of his influence. These are big time managers not AVB

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 24/9/2012 9:25:12 PM >

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5419
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 9:34:48 PM   
superdan

I don't think anyone's claiming he's a shit defender. It's more that he isn't and never was one of the best English defenders of all time. He wasn't even close to being the best English defender of his generation. There's no doubt in my mind that injuries to other, more gifted players helped him enormously towards those 78 caps.

Post #: 5420
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 9:36:16 PM   
Rinc

I'd always have had Ferdinand above him. And if Woodgate and King had been fit I'd have always selected them above him too.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5421
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 9:59:13 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

And for those of you complaining about his lack of pace :

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5422
RE: Terry retires from England - 25/9/2012 9:22:36 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

I don't think anyone's claiming he's a shit defender

Really... well the tone of this thread has fooled me.

He's a class defender, and he has been (since Adams) one of the best for England IMO.

As I said, I am pleased from a Chelsea perspective.

Post #: 5423
RE: Terry retires from England - 25/9/2012 9:46:24 AM   
jonson

I'd have to agree. The bloke's a cunt but no way is he a shit defender, or even an average one. One thing you could always rely on is his commitment, and this is not a chest-beating England fan talking.
He's won trophies, captained his club and country (from a fairly young age) and has been consistently picked by a number of good managers for England and Chelsea.
But he's a cunt

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5424
RE: Terry retires from England - 25/9/2012 10:41:08 AM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

I don't think anyone's claiming he's a shit defender

Really... well the tone of this thread has fooled me.

He's a class defender, and he has been (since Adams) one of the best for England IMO.

As I said, I am pleased from a Chelsea perspective.

There's a difference between disagreeing about him being one of the best ever and claiming he's shit. I've never thought nor said he was shit, I just think that his reputation seems disproportionate to what I see as a player who if not for serious and chronic injuries to Ferdinand, King and Woodgate would probably not represented England nearly as much. And that's without bringing his off-field shenanigans into it (since Ferdinand is hardly an angel himself). And sure he's been successful at club level, but so has Wes Brown

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5425
RE: Terry retires from England - 25/9/2012 10:49:22 AM   
Brooksy84

I can all but guarantee if he is found to be not guilty by the panel then his untenable position will suddenly become...tenable. Back available for England selection faster than you can make a sarcastic repitition.

http://averagefootballfan.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5426
RE: Terry retires from England - 25/9/2012 12:52:50 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brooksy84

I can all but guarantee if he is found to be not guilty by the panel then his untenable position will suddenly become...tenable. Back available for England selection faster than you can make a sarcastic repitition.

There is no way he will be found not-guilty, the FA would not have brought the charge against him unless they already knew the outcome.

I think the FA needs a complete reorganisation of how it works... these things drag on and on, there doesn't seem to be much consistency in anything they do, and they seems at odds with one another a lot of the time. I mean the current England Manager - employed by the FA, has been pretty vocal in his support of Terry, it's a strange organisation.

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 5427
RE: Terry retires from England - 25/9/2012 1:01:31 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brooksy84

There is no way he will be found not-guilty, the FA would not have brought the charge against him unless they already knew the outcome.

I think the FA needs a complete reorganisation of how it works... these things drag on and on, there doesn't seem to be much consistency in anything they do, and they seems at odds with one another a lot of the time. I mean the current England Manager - employed by the FA, has been pretty vocal in his support of Terry, it's a strange organisation.

They couldn't do anything until after the court case though could they?

Roy also ought to keep quiet about defending Terry too, its clear he used the offensive word which is why the FA are going to quite rightly nail him.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5428
RE: Terry retires from England - 25/9/2012 1:38:54 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

Roy also ought to keep quiet about defending Terry too, its clear he used the offensive word which is why the FA are going to quite rightly nail him.

Yeah, I agree. It's surprised me that Rio is apparently keen to return for England after the support Roy has given Terry as well. I suspect it won't make any difference though, unless Roy finds himself in a position where he literally has no choice but to call him up (like, if every other English CB in the PL and Championship is injured ).

Post #: 5429
RE: Terry retires from England - 25/9/2012 2:43:39 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

They couldn't do anything until after the court case though could they?

That's right, but that was months ago now... they just drag everything out usually.

Post #: 5430
Page:   <<   < prev  179 180 [181] 182 183   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Terry retires from England Page: <<   < prev  179 180 [181] 182 183   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI