Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The England Football Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The England Football Thread Page: <<   < prev  178 179 [180] 181 182   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The England Football Thread - 7/9/2012 9:24:28 PM   
directorscut

Sums Moldova up.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5371
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2012 3:27:27 PM   
Scott_

Couple of interesting call-ups today in Raheem Sterling, Adam Lallana and Jake Livermore. I assume Sterling is getting the call to stop Jamaica tempting him like Ghana tried with Welbeck before Capello gave him a cap.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5372
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2012 3:34:41 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I think that Hodgson continues to move England in the right direction.

From all accounts he seems to be fostering a good atmosphere in the squad and has a balance between the McLaren (too pally) and Capello (too harsh) approaches.

I can well see why he's bringing in these players, they wont feature, but if he has an interest in them in the future its a good opportunity for them to get some exposure. And his blend of experience and youth is a solid approach for qualification and the next campaign.

The well he's going to for talent remains relatively shallow in places (Sturridge is ill so we are down to almost no forwards), but he's doing what he can with what he's got. Moldova were crap, but he's the first manager who's got Frank and Stevie G playing together so far.

I just hope he's given the next 4 years in the job, as that will give him chance to work with the lads who are 17-22 towards a major tournament.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5373
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2012 3:53:45 PM   
superdan

He doesn't do things the way I would necessarily, but you can't really argue with his results so far. Tomorrow will be interesting, Ukraine are always difficult opponents, but Hodgson seems to have a knack for extracting the maximum amount of result from the meagre resources available to him.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5374
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2012 4:03:09 PM   
LEEJGM

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

He doesn't do things the way I would necessarily, but you can't really argue with his results so far. Tomorrow will be interesting, Ukraine are always difficult opponents, but Hodgson seems to have a knack for extracting the maximum amount of result from the meagre resources available to him.

Which is why he's probably the right man for the job. I'm impressed so far and I was very unenthusiastic at his appointment.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5375
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2012 4:07:08 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

I think we all have to recognise that its unlikely the England manager will do things exactly as we would. But I don't think he's made many huge errors.

We can look back at the Euros now and I think you see a manager who had been parachuted into the position a very short time before the tournament started with Rooney out for the first two games (we can all argue how good Rooney really is, but we are so light up front he's good relative to what England has available) and injuries elsewhere in the team. I think it was these two problems that caused such a negative display.

I certainly didn't expect the manager to throw out every player over 30 and start again. Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Terry all have experience winning the Champions League (or at least lifting the cup). I honestly think you need that. And if Roy has managed to convince Lampard that his role is in mentoring young players then I think that is good. Gerrard I also think has been a good appointment as captain.

The pundits talk of this being a more fluid team. And it is, to a degree. But he still has Milner, Gerrard and co. to work with, not Iniesta and Xavi.

What Roy needs to do now is to qualify with ease and in the process bring new players through. This wont be an easy job. And not necessarily just because of him. For example, everyone talks of Bertrand as an exciting option, but how many games will he get for Chelsea? I'd like us to actually go to Brazil and play well then. For an England team. To try to keep the ball a bit and pass it around. I don't expect semi finals or even quarter finals, but I'd like to see the team play some football.

That brings us round to Euro 2016 and then I'd like to see if the team can put it together. He has imo 3 strands he can bring together then:
- a good sense of wanting to play for England and teamwork and will to win
- a greater technical focus on how England play the game
- new players that settle in to the style that he wants them to play in

Maybe then that paves the way for a Rodgers or Lambert type who can move the style even further to the technical way, but I don't think England can do that all at once and I like what Hodgson is doing, not only with the team but also in the youth development.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5376
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2012 4:17:12 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

What Roy needs to do now is to qualify with ease and in the process bring new players through. This wont be an easy job. And not necessarily just because of him. For example, everyone talks of Bertrand as an exciting option, but how many games will he get for Chelsea? I'd like us to actually go to Brazil and play well then. For an England team. To try to keep the ball a bit and pass it around. I don't expect semi finals or even quarter finals, but I'd like to see the team play some football.

I wonder if the new U-21 Reserve League will help those young players labouring under the glass ceiling in the PL. If the FA and EPL get Sky or someone on board to televise those games and market it right, it could be a real boon, make it something like the College Football system in America (which is nearly as popular as the NFL). I'd certainly watch it.

Post #: 5377
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2012 4:27:37 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

I wonder if the new U-21 Reserve League will help those young players labouring under the glass ceiling in the PL. If the FA and EPL get Sky or someone on board to televise those games and market it right, it could be a real boon, make it something like the College Football system in America (which is nearly as popular as the NFL). I'd certainly watch it.

I hope it works. We all know that Barce and Real have their B teams and the Reserve teams games in England have become a joke.

Did this come from the FA or the PL? I like to think that the FA have woken up to the fact that they can't buy short term success by recruiting an overseas name manager and spunking five million quid a year at him. But could follow examples of other countries where they can put together some good ideas for youth development and a proper system to help bring through talent that will improve the England team in 4 - 10 years.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5378
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2012 4:34:45 PM   
superdan

quote:

Did this come from the FA or the PL? I like to think that the FA have woken up to the fact that they can't buy short term success by recruiting an overseas name manager and spunking five million quid a year at him. But could follow examples of other countries where they can put together some good ideas for youth development and a proper system to help bring through talent that will improve the England team in 4 - 10 years.

I think it's an FA initiative, as part of their Elite Player Performance Plan, with the support of the PL.

Post #: 5379
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2012 4:40:08 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

I think it's an FA initiative, as part of their Elite Player Performance Plan, with the support of the PL.

Top-ho, says I. I think one of the short term effects will be that we will see a number of players from the age of 25+ suddenly out on the scrap heap. We've already seen a round of this in the recent set of summer transfers, where teams were trying to shift on some of their older players and seemingly no-one wanted them.

With the limit on squad sizes and number of over-age players eligible for the U21s team there's little point in holding on to them if they aren't going to play and teams are incentivised to invest in youth.

I think that is a good thing. It may also encourage more "older" players to drop down a league (or go overseas) and take a salary cut to restart their careers and I'm pretty sure most of them will have been picking up nice contracts for the last few years when they might not have played, so can't be too sad they are being "downsized".

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5380
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2012 4:42:55 PM   
gazpop

quote:

quote:

Good point, thing is, college football is BIGGER than the NFL. Bigger in terms of attending viewers and bigger in terms of tv figures. We don't have the size of numbers nor perhaps the loyalty that many americans have to their home-town/city teams. But I do think we need to do something about at least bringing those games and those players referred to an audience that has had little or no access to them. And people who wouldn't mind 'kids' doing their best for themselves and not the paycheque. And somewhat less rolling around on the grass too mayhaps?

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5381
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/9/2012 4:54:19 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazpop

quote:

quote:

Good point, thing is, college football is BIGGER than the NFL. Bigger in terms of attending viewers and bigger in terms of tv figures. We don't have the size of numbers nor perhaps the loyalty that many americans have to their home-town/city teams. But I do think we need to do something about at least bringing those games and those players referred to an audience that has had little or no access to them. And people who wouldn't mind 'kids' doing their best for themselves and not the paycheque. And somewhat less rolling around on the grass too mayhaps?

On the other hand don't you think that this could be a threat to teams in lower divisions? It could be argued that the NFL needs the college football teams as that is their feeder stream. We had a lad from Crawley and one from Chesterfield join the Premier League in the summer, but mostly new players are imports or ones already at PL level.

So we have 70-odd professional teams below the Premier League. Some of these are well funded, most of these are surviving. If we take the case that U21 games will be played Friday to Sunday and will be played at proper grounds, is it too big a step to take to wonder how they might become more attractive than the local side.

Let's say I had the opportunity to watch my local division 1 team play, or the U21 team of my chosen Premier team (because they may be playing near one another). I could well see me going for the second. And I could well see that if their matches and TV rights are up for grabs this would also eat money from the lower teams.

It will also be the case that the bigger teams won't care if they lose money. Chelsea spent 20M on Kakatu, seemingly just in case they need a forward in the next couple of years. In these circumstances, you don't care if your franchised youth team is losing a few quid. Maybe it even becomes a way to attract and hoarde more talent.

As I say a good thing overall, but I could see casualties. However, I do pretty much take the economists view that the number of professional football teams in England is probably over-serving the market and natural selection will reduce them.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 5382
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2012 4:55:50 PM   
Gravitas

I find it very odd that I've not heard anyone anywhere who thinks that Lennon should have been called up to the squad? Milner should never be picked for England - he's just a plodder, the media's favourite Walcott was injured as was Ashley Young and so Roy brought in Sterling who has only just been selected for the u19s (that lost 3-1 last week).

Post #: 5383
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2012 6:24:30 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gravitas

I find it very odd that I've not heard anyone anywhere who thinks that Lennon should have been called up to the squad? Milner should never be picked for England - he's just a plodder, the media's favourite Walcott was injured as was Ashley Young and so Roy brought in Sterling who has only just been selected for the u19s (that lost 3-1 last week).

Spurs fan?

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Gravitas)
Post #: 5384
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2012 6:58:33 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Spurs fan?

He's got a point though,as I do think Lennon deserves a chance atleast especially if theres a friendly around the corner.

On another point.I see the media (newspapers,sport radio) are continuing to be the utter assholes that there seem to be aspiring too,in easy manner too.
It went from 'Cleverly is the next big thing' to 'Cleverly isn't up to International standard',honestly there's times where I really really deslike this country.Hype them up to knock them down.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 5385
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2012 7:05:43 PM   
Scott_

Nathan Dyer should be considered ahead of Lennon.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 5386
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2012 8:21:50 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

Spurs fan?

He's got a point though,as I do think Lennon deserves a chance atleast especially if theres a friendly around the corner.

On another point.I see the media (newspapers,sport radio) are continuing to be the utter assholes that there seem to be aspiring too,in easy manner too.
It went from 'Cleverly is the next big thing' to 'Cleverly isn't up to International standard',honestly there's times where I really really deslike this country.Hype them up to knock them down.

He'd have to be playing out of his skin for Spurs first.

Can't see any reason to turn to a 25 year old who's never done it for England certainly over any of the young kids. Plus he's got to get past Walcott, Johnson, plus Milner is a lot more disciplined defensively and versatile, which is why he'll stay in the squad over any of the above.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 5387
RE: The England Football Thread - 12/9/2012 9:36:47 PM   
superdan

quote:

I actually thought Milner was one of Englands better players last night. I know he comes in for a lot of stick from some England fans, being described as a plodder etc, but he showed last night that his workrate can be invaluable. Especially when he has a fullback behind him who isn't a great defender. Put Lennon in front of Johnson and the opposition will fill their boots down that flank.

(in reply to Gravitas)
Post #: 5388
RE: The England Football Thread - 15/9/2012 1:28:19 PM   
Gravitas

quote:

quote:

Spurs fan?

No. I just know about these things.

Post #: 5389
RE: The England Football Thread - 15/9/2012 1:31:15 PM   
Gravitas

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

Spurs fan?

He'd have to be playing out of his skin for Spurs first.

Can't see any reason to turn to a 25 year old who's never done it for England certainly over any of the young kids. Plus he's got to get past Walcott, Johnson, plus Milner is a lot more disciplined defensively and versatile, which is why he'll stay in the squad over any of the above.

His form for England has actually been very good (over the period). It was strange how he was scapegoated in the 2010 WC.

Post #: 5390
RE: Terry retires from England - 23/9/2012 9:04:57 PM   
BigBadWolf

Apparently John Terry has retired from the England ahead of FA hearing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19695430

Post #: 5391
RE: Terry retires from England - 23/9/2012 9:08:27 PM   
Rinc

Good

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 5392
RE: Terry retires from England - 23/9/2012 9:15:07 PM   
Goodfella

Just hold on a second guys, I'm just trying to contain my emotions.

Nope............there we go.

Best news I've heard all day.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5393
RE: Terry retires from England - 23/9/2012 9:22:51 PM   
Olaf

never forget.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 5394
RE: Terry retires from England - 23/9/2012 9:28:29 PM   
James2183

That's a lot of poison sucked from the dressing room. Can only be a good thing for the team.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 5395
RE: Terry retires from England - 23/9/2012 10:34:42 PM   
superdan

I've expressed my opinions about that man a few times, so I'll just say good riddance.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 5396
RE: Terry retires from England - 23/9/2012 10:40:08 PM   
directorscut

Should have been kicked out after the last World Cup.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5397
RE: Terry retires from England - 23/9/2012 10:49:41 PM   
Scott_

Yeah, it's 2 years too late. Now Roy can plan a proper partnership in defence, you always got the feeling Roys reign would be Terry and whoever else is fit regardless of form.

Post #: 5398
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 8:02:17 AM   
matty_b

About time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5399
RE: Terry retires from England - 24/9/2012 8:52:26 AM   
Toby Monroe

Yep, 2 years too late. I guess this means the fa aren't going to find in his favour r.e race slur hooha.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5400
Page:   <<   < prev  178 179 [180] 181 182   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The England Football Thread Page: <<   < prev  178 179 [180] 181 182   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI