Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The England Football Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The England Football Thread Page: <<   < prev  176 177 [178] 179 180   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The England Football Thread - 27/6/2012 12:15:50 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I get your point, but I sometimes see it written that "this" is the difference between England and Spain/Italy/etc. They have a winter break, we don't.

I suspect the differences are a lot bigger. We play Poland away in mid-October as a WC Qualifier. Poland are not a world beating side, but they showed touches of skill in the tournament. I'm expecting England to struggle in that game, even though this should be the point of the peak fitness in the season.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 5311
RE: The England Football Thread - 27/6/2012 12:28:16 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

England always play better earlier in the season because players are fresh and we have more options - I'd definately expect us to be better against Poland than in the Euros. Then people are going to say 'why couldn't we play like this a few months ago?'.

I'm not suggesting we're going to suddenly become Spain with a mid season break but it's glaringly obvious to anyone looking at England that we are at a disadvantage in major tournaments. Wenger, Ferguson and Erikksson have all said the same, the analysis of injuries in the PL after January also bears this out.

Unless this changes all the talk of tactics, technical ability etc. etc. is pointless because we're fundamentally fucked before a ball is kicked.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5312
RE: The England Football Thread - 27/6/2012 1:11:58 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker
Unless this changes all the talk of tactics, technical ability etc. etc. is pointless because we're fundamentally fucked before a ball is kicked.

I've always thought we should have a mid season break mid at the start of January (finish on FA cup 3rd round), and start again a couple weeks later with the 4th round.
However the point I've quoted isn't accurate for me either. It isn't pointless, the ridged 4-4-2 means we are out numbered in midfield time and time again and looking at the games its our midfield that tends to under perform the most.
I can already hear Rinc grown, but this is something I've been going on about way before the start of this thread 6 years ago, even back to the orange days, but 4-4-2 isn't effective at international tournaments against technically gifted sides.
I don't think we can play like Spain, but we should have to there is more than one way to play, and an well organised England team could compete at a higher level than we currently do. Hoddle with his 3-5-2 and Venables with the 4-3-2-1 have had the teams playing the best football, and not looking worn out come the summer. This is because we have options in midfield, its far too easy to nulify it ensuring that possession is lost.

I'm confident that Roy knows this too, however did what any half decent manager would do with far too little time to organise a team, you drill them defensively and work up. Nothing wrong with two banks of four, when you don't have the ball, but you need more when you do it needs to be fluid and that is something we can do.

We have to make the best of what we have, and despite the sniping we do have younger players who are looking more comfortable on the ball. That, for me, is entirely down to more qualified coaches, and the influence of foreign players in our league and the standard of young English players is improving. The following all played regularly (with the exception for injury) either at the end of last season all under 23.
Defence;Walker, Kelly, Smalling, Jones, Gibbs, Caulker,
Midfield: Rodwell, Wiltshere, Oxlade Chamberlain, Cleverly, Henderson, Gardner,
Forwards:Welbeck, Sturridge,

We're obviously short of forwards but we've never had that kind of quality youngsters playing regularly in the Premiership.
Add to that the likes of Flanagan, McEachran, Lansbury, Sterling, Hutchinson, Bertrand, Shelvey, Jenkinson, Frimpong, Barkley, Rose, Wickham, Tomkins, Ravel Morrison all of whom are likely to start getting games this season.
Looking at it from that point of view I don't think we've had this many players coming through who seem to have the technical ability required now at the highest level. Obviously not all those kids will end up as good international footballers, but they are coming through, and in higher quantities and better than in recent years past

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 27/6/2012 1:14:05 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 5313
RE: The England Football Thread - 27/6/2012 4:05:26 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

I think England have actually got worse over the years. We've been consistently shit in tournaments over the last decade or so and been going down without a fight against Italy in 2012, Germany 2010, didn't qualify in 2008, 2006/2004 weren't great performances and went out on pens, 2002 died on our arses against Brazil.

I think the influx of foreign players means the size of our squad is sorely limited when you factor in injuries - the situation doesn't seem to be improving and we had very few options indeed this time round, as many people are saying it's one of the worst squads they've seen, certainly the worse I can remember. Where's all the talent gone? It's not being allowed to develop IMO.

Yet you were favourites for that match and Brazil went on to win the Wolrd Cup that year. Another case of overhyping again

Really? According to who? Bookies? Pundits?

Please.

Aye the bookies which shortened the odds due to people betting for an England win.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5314
RE: The England Football Thread - 27/6/2012 4:36:44 PM   
matty_b

Oh well, if bookies say so then...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 5315
RE: The England Football Thread - 27/6/2012 5:17:02 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob
We're obviously short of forwards but we've never had that kind of quality youngsters playing regularly in the Premiership.
Add to that the likes of Flanagan, McEachran, Lansbury, Sterling, Hutchinson, Bertrand, Shelvey, Jenkinson, Frimpong, Barkley, Rose, Wickham, Tomkins, Ravel Morrison all of whom are likely to start getting games this season.
Looking at it from that point of view I don't think we've had this many players coming through who seem to have the technical ability required now at the highest level. Obviously not all those kids will end up as good international footballers, but they are coming through, and in higher quantities and better than in recent years past

Frimpong has declared for Ghana. The trouble with all these is that they're given little opportunity to establish themselves as first team players. It happens so often. The majority of players who've been influential for England over the last 20 years or so were playing regularly from 17 or 18 onwards. That seems to happening less and less frequently, for whatever reason.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 5316
RE: The England Football Thread - 27/6/2012 6:28:53 PM   
Rinc

quote:

I can already hear Rinc grown, but this is something I've been going on about way before the start of this thread 6 years ago, even back to the orange days, but 4-4-2 isn't effective at international tournaments against technically gifted sides.

I actually agree with you though Bob. Not only is 4-4-2 outdated but it doesn't even fully suit our players, most of whom don't even play it at club level. 4-4-2 just doesn't have the versatility of other systems.

Looking at our forward options, I really do wish Robbie Fowler was born at a different time. He couldn't even get in the England team when he was banging in 30 a season and now we'd love to have a forward of his class and youth in the set up.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 5317
RE: The England Football Thread - 27/6/2012 6:49:29 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

I've always thought we should have a mid season break mid at the start of January (finish on FA cup 3rd round), and start again a couple weeks later with the 4th round.
However the point I've quoted isn't accurate for me either. It isn't pointless, the ridged 4-4-2 means we are out numbered in midfield time and time again and looking at the games its our midfield that tends to under perform the most.
I don't think we can play like Spain, but we should have to there is more than one way to play, and an well organised England team could compete at a higher level than we currently do. Hoddle with his 3-5-2 and Venables with the 4-3-2-1 have had the teams playing the best football, and not looking worn out come the summer. This is because we have options in midfield, its far too easy to nulify it ensuring that possession is lost.

I'm confident that Roy knows this too, however did what any half decent manager would do with far too little time to organise a team, you drill them defensively and work up. Nothing wrong with two banks of four, when you don't have the ball, but you need more when you do it needs to be fluid and that is something we can do.

We have to make the best of what we have, and despite the sniping we do have younger players who are looking more comfortable on the ball. That, for me, is entirely down to more qualified coaches, and the influence of foreign players in our league and the standard of young English players is improving. The following all played regularly (with the exception for injury) either at the end of last season all under 23.
Defence;Walker, Kelly, Smalling, Jones, Gibbs, Caulker,
Midfield: Rodwell, Wiltshere, Oxlade Chamberlain, Cleverly, Henderson, Gardner,
Forwards:Welbeck, Sturridge,

You forgot Jay Spearing Bob.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 5318
RE: The England Football Thread - 28/6/2012 8:58:26 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

I didn't DC he's 23.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5319
RE: The England Football Thread - 28/6/2012 9:02:15 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan
Frimpong has declared for Ghana.

No so sure on this. The Ghana FA have said as much, but Frimpong hasn't been quite so clear on the matter.

quote:

The trouble with all these is that they're given little opportunity to establish themselves as first team players. It happens so often. The majority of players who've been influential for England over the last 20 years or so were playing regularly from 17 or 18 onwards. That seems to happening less and less frequently, for whatever reason.

I would ask whom you are thinking of? They certainly haven't been playing in a league at the current technical level.
I'd also be interested in these players who were player regularly from 17 to look at the level they were comparatively playing at.
There's little doubt the PL had a marked decline last season however its considerably higher than the league when the likes of Shearer and Gascoigne were coming through.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 28/6/2012 9:08:24 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5320
RE: The England Football Thread - 28/6/2012 12:25:52 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

No so sure on this. The Ghana FA have said as much, but Frimpong hasn't been quite so clear on the matter.

His Twitter account says 'Arsenal and Ghana'

quote:

quote:

The trouble with all these is that they're given little opportunity to establish themselves as first team players. It happens so often. The majority of players who've been influential for England over the last 20 years or so were playing regularly from 17 or 18 onwards. That seems to happening less and less frequently, for whatever reason.

I would ask whom you are thinking of? They certainly haven't been playing in a league at the current technical level.
I'd also be interested in these players who were player regularly from 17 to look at the level they were comparatively playing at.
There's little doubt the PL had a marked decline last season however its considerably higher than the league when the likes of Shearer and Gascoigne were coming through.

I'm not sure what difference the quality of the league makes, because a) you can only play in the league as it is at the time and b) there's no real substitute for regular first team football in the top division in terms of aiding development. There's only so much you can learn on the training ground, after all. If anything, the move of the league away from physicality should help younger players, not hinder them, yet very few of the lads you listed have played regularly at the top level. Besides, I would argue that regardless of the difference in the quality of the league, players like Shearer, Gazza, Neville (who were all first-teamers in their late teens) etc. would probably be just as capable of an impact if they were starting off now as they were then.

< Message edited by superdan -- 28/6/2012 12:26:07 PM >

Post #: 5321
RE: The England Football Thread - 28/6/2012 1:34:14 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah OK, point taken He's now dead to me, and I hope Arsenal sell him.

quote:

'm not sure what difference the quality of the league makes, because a) you can only play in the league as it is at the time and b) there's no real substitute for regular first team football in the top division in terms of aiding development. There's only so much you can learn on the training ground, after all. If anything, the move of the league away from physicality should help younger players, not hinder them, yet very few of the lads you listed have played regularly at the top level. Besides, I would argue that regardless of the difference in the quality of the league, players like Shearer, Gazza, Neville (who were all first-teamers in their late teens) etc. would probably be just as capable of an impact if they were starting off now as they were then.

The difference the quality makes is at what level are they playing and gaining experience, which is a big plus.
You say no substitute for playing regular first team football in the top division, but there is if now the top of the Championship is a similar level to say Newcastle back in 1984.
There are players who I think could be really top class who played there last season, the likes of Cork for example playing regularly at a lower level.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 28/6/2012 1:59:52 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5322
RE: The England Football Thread - 28/6/2012 4:54:40 PM   
Frank Castle

quote:

I didn't DC he's 23.

and shite, if he starts playing for england we most definatly are fecked

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

Post #: 5323
RE: The England Football Thread - 29/6/2012 2:46:45 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

quote:

I didn't DC he's 23.

and shite, if he starts playing for england we most definatly are fecked

I wasn't making a judgement call on quality, a lot of those won't make it at the highest domestic level, whereas some not mentioned on there currently playing the lower leagues will. Its was just a quick list of those who I can think of playing regularly in the Premiership under 23 years old.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 5324
RE: The England Football Thread - 29/6/2012 3:25:45 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah OK, point taken He's now dead to me, and I hope Arsenal sell him.

quote:

'm not sure what difference the quality of the league makes, because a) you can only play in the league as it is at the time and b) there's no real substitute for regular first team football in the top division in terms of aiding development. There's only so much you can learn on the training ground, after all. If anything, the move of the league away from physicality should help younger players, not hinder them, yet very few of the lads you listed have played regularly at the top level. Besides, I would argue that regardless of the difference in the quality of the league, players like Shearer, Gazza, Neville (who were all first-teamers in their late teens) etc. would probably be just as capable of an impact if they were starting off now as they were then.

The difference the quality makes is at what level are they playing and gaining experience, which is a big plus.
You say no substitute for playing regular first team football in the top division, but there is if now the top of the Championship is a similar level to say Newcastle back in 1984. There are players who I think could be really top class who played there last season, the likes of Cork for example playing regularly at a lower level.

We had a secret weapon to get us promoted then though - Keegan's hair.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 5325
RE: The England Football Thread - 29/6/2012 3:26:00 PM   
horribleives

Woops, my computer's doing some weird fucking things today. I blame yesterday's apocalypse.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 29/6/2012 3:28:01 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 5326
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/7/2012 11:11:50 AM   
Professor Moriarty

From the Euros thread

quote:

Sorry to clarify, I was saying that I've actually got a lot of optimism at the young English talent coming through and playing regularly in the PL. However that is tempered by the fact that we are thin on the ground with young English forwards.

I do think there is a role for a good number 9 but yes in the modern game they have to be more than just a poacher. Personally, and again this is me on my bandwagon, I think Rooney should be used by England and Man Utd as a number 9 rather than coming deep but at the top level I can't think of too many in world football. Zlatan, Van Persie (for Arsenal at least, until the last month Holland liked him on the left), Torres, Benzema there just doesn't seem to be a lot of these guys, certainly at the Euros.

Anyway probably a chat for the England thread.

Do you not think Rooney has started to do more of this with Utd. He may drop deep to get the ball (effectively playing as a mid-fielder), but then he's more likely to play it out wide and run into the box waiting for the cross, than he is to take the ball on himself and have a run at the opposition. imo I see this as a step back in his qualities as a footballer, but you can't argue with the goal tally he got last season.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 5327
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/7/2012 12:00:41 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

From the Euros thread

quote:

Sorry to clarify, I was saying that I've actually got a lot of optimism at the young English talent coming through and playing regularly in the PL. However that is tempered by the fact that we are thin on the ground with young English forwards.

I do think there is a role for a good number 9 but yes in the modern game they have to be more than just a poacher. Personally, and again this is me on my bandwagon, I think Rooney should be used by England and Man Utd as a number 9 rather than coming deep but at the top level I can't think of too many in world football. Zlatan, Van Persie (for Arsenal at least, until the last month Holland liked him on the left), Torres, Benzema there just doesn't seem to be a lot of these guys, certainly at the Euros.

Anyway probably a chat for the England thread.

Do you not think Rooney has started to do more of this with Utd. He may drop deep to get the ball (effectively playing as a mid-fielder), but then he's more likely to play it out wide and run into the box waiting for the cross, than he is to take the ball on himself and have a run at the opposition. imo I see this as a step back in his qualities as a footballer, but you can't argue with the goal tally he got last season.

Agreed, he seems to have lost the ability to run at defenders since he broke onto the scene. I think he should be played as a one upfront, and England seem to use him as a number 10 off Welbeck.
I think he should be playing in Welbecks role almost on the shoulder with support coming from elsewhere. The obvious argument against this is that we need him to drop deep because of his ability we need him to influence the game as much as possible, but this is where I think we are expecting too much. If we are to move forward then lets not play 4-4-2 and have more bodies in midfield to do the most of the creative work for him. He's powerful, good in the air, mobile I think he should be playing up top with wingers/support players off him.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 2/7/2012 12:01:23 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5328
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/7/2012 12:48:49 PM   
ChickMagnet

Whilst I agree with a January Mid-Season Break in theory, I see one flaw with this, look at late December/early January the last few years, so many games are getting called off its ridiculous, and we all know that if they introduced a mid-season break thats when the FA would try and push the re-arranged games, I'd prefer to see there being fewer matches in the English Season, but sadly that'll never happen.

Post #: 5329
RE: The England Football Thread - 8/8/2012 10:48:39 AM   
Rinc

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/08/england-third-fifa-world-rankings

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 5330
RE: The England Football Thread - 8/8/2012 12:29:39 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/08/england-third-fifa-world-rankings

Seriously, who comes up with these rankings? Beyond ridiculous.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5331
RE: The England Football Thread - 8/8/2012 1:09:17 PM   
Rhubarb

...How?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5332
RE: The England Football Thread - 8/8/2012 1:36:52 PM   
horribleives

They're not even the third best team in England.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 5333
RE: The England Football Thread - 8/8/2012 6:41:10 PM   
Saltire

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 5334
RE: The England Football Thread - 8/8/2012 6:56:26 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF ANTI-ENGLISH FOOTBALL BY SEPP BLATTER AND FIFA!!!

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5335
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/8/2012 5:00:13 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

England squad announced, and I actually agree with all of it, apart from Carricks inclusion.

clicky

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Hooch0959)
Post #: 5336
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/8/2012 5:03:25 PM   
matty_b

Changed your mind on Defoe?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 5337
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/8/2012 5:09:09 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Changed your mind on Defoe?

Yup, totally forgot him.

I can't think of a single reason that either him or Carrick have been included, they are the past and have never produced.
At least when Gerrard/Cole come back at least you can say they are senior players who have performed well on occasion, you can't say that for either of those two.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5338
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/8/2012 5:37:31 PM   
superdan

No word of a lie, I honestly had no idea England were playing next week. The thought of watching England seems so hum-drum after two great weeks of Olympic sport

Anyway, I'm hoping Michael "he's great if you watch him week in week out" Carrick has only been included due to Barry and (more importantly) Parker being out injured. As for the rest, I think it's an interesting squad. Pleased to see Cleverly included, thought he was one of GB's better players during the Olympics, and it's good to see some of the up-and-coming defenders given a chance against decent opposition.

Still pathetic how bad the striker situation is though.

Post #: 5339
RE: The England Football Thread - 13/8/2012 9:30:21 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

No word of a lie, I honestly had no idea England were playing next week. The thought of watching England seems so hum-drum after two great weeks of Olympic sport

Is that why they are playing a home game in Switzerland, that no-one actually will want to see them play. So they have the excuse that Wembley is unusable because of Olympic football (but can't see myself why that can't be turned around) and if they went to Old Trafford, or somewhere else, there might be a lot of empty seats. Sad days though when the national team can't be arsed to play at home.

I think I'll give the first 20 minutes a watch. If it looks like this is a different shape and approach then I'll stick with it. If its the same old stuff I'll be channel hopping. Team England have a hell of a lot to do now Team GB has shown them the way.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5340
Page:   <<   < prev  176 177 [178] 179 180   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The England Football Thread Page: <<   < prev  176 177 [178] 179 180   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI