Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Out of Nothing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Out of Nothing Page: <<   < prev  204 205 206 [207] 208   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Out of Nothing - 9/9/2009 9:42:55 PM   
Maria Noir

I'd like to hang with the Egyptians. Those people had style.

The Empire Script Challenge: Month 19 - Look Through The Looking Glass

"And our bodies are earth. And our thoughts are clay. And we sleep and eat with death."

"- Are we going to let politics get in the way of our friendship?
- Friendship? You told people I lured children into my Gingerbread House!
- Haha. Yeah. That was just a lie."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 6181
RE: Out of Nothing - 9/9/2009 10:35:27 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maria Noir

I'd like to hang with the Egyptians. Those people had style.

As long you're not a slave.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Maria Noir)
Post #: 6182
RE: Out of Nothing - 9/9/2009 10:41:58 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

These comparison between rape and pillage with parties scare me.

If you think partying and pillaging are that different, you've clearly never went pillaging.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 6183
RE: Out of Nothing - 9/9/2009 10:52:13 PM   
swordsandsandals

How was that a recruitment attempt? I genuinely would want to hang out with him. He has to be one of the most enigmatic yet charismatic figurs in history. He was a carpenter in an insignificant town that, for good or bad, managed to change the face of the world.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 6184
RE: Out of Nothing - 9/9/2009 10:57:24 PM   
Olaf

It was obviously a joke. Sheesh.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 6185
RE: Out of Nothing - 9/9/2009 10:59:38 PM   
Deviation

I think has to do with some severe anti-religion stance you might find on this forum Olaf.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 6186
RE: Out of Nothing - 9/9/2009 11:01:46 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

It was obviously a joke. Sheesh.

Didn't I tell you? I'm clinically devoid of a sense of humour.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 6187
RE: Out of Nothing - 9/9/2009 11:46:25 PM   
G.O.B

Everyone needs to calm down,we need some more Dinosaurs vs. GI war scenes.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 6188
RE: Out of Nothing - 10/9/2009 11:08:13 AM   
HIM

So I've watched the first 4 episodes of Band of Brothers now and I definately did watch episode 2 first time round because I remember being disappointed that David 'Ross from Friends' Schwimmer wasn't in it anymore, but lo and behold he turned up in episode 4 (albeit very briefly). I was also glad to see one of my favourite current actors James McAvoy turn up in episode 4 as well. But then he died. Speaking of episode 4, Market Garden, it really made me realise how much this show has permiated into video games. If anyone's played the latest Brothers In Arms game (Hell's Highway) they'll remember it featured a level called Market Garden set in Holland. There's also the latest Medal Of Honor game which is called 'Airborne' and couldn't be more of a Band of Brothers game if it was called Medal Of Honor: Easy Company! I've played both and throroughly enjoyed them so I may have to pick them up again as they should be relatively cheap now. If memory serves, didn't Dreamworks Interactive create the Medal of Honor games?

< Message edited by HIM -- 10/9/2009 2:02:28 PM >

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 6189
RE: Out of Nothing - 11/9/2009 6:58:19 AM   
Castor Troy

Some Band Of Brothers actors did voices in some of the Call Of Duty series I think. 

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 6190
RE: Out of Nothing - 11/9/2009 9:47:06 AM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

So I've had a couple of beers. But that doesn't stop the fact that Band Of Brothers is the greatest thing ever to be filmed and shown on my TV. I want to be a soldier. I want to be in Bastogne with a lack of winter clothing. I want to be huddled in a foxhole, with a tarpaulin over me, sitting next to Malarky who hands me a smoke while the Germans sing Silent Night from their lines. I want to go back and forth to a church that has been converted into an aid station and liaise with a rather standard looking nurse whose beauty radiates from her insides, generated by the selfless good she does minute after minute, hour after hour. I want to cook a cup of joe in a helmet before being called for a patrol into unknown territory and maybe fall into a Germans foxhole. I want to feel the pain they felt to know who I am. 

I know you were drunk when you wrote this but have you ever seriously considered joining the Army? I remember a few years ago you made thread about what would happen if we gave up our jobs and went and lived up a mountain somewhere or something. You were probably drunk when you wrote that but you obviously didn't like your career back then and it seems to still be the case now.

Are you maybe thinking you're too old now? Or that you've 'settled' now that you've moved in with your broad? Well let me tell you son that neither of those should stop you if you want to do it. I'm 27 and I'm in the process of applying. I also too live with my broad. We even have a cat together. But I felt much as you do/did and I just thought, "F it!" and applied. My reasoning was that I'm unhappy with my career now at 26 (I was 26 when I applied) so I'm going to be even more unhappy in 5, 10, 15 years. So I thought, even if I didn't like the Army it's only a maximum of 4 years. I'd rather have no regrets than be unhappy through lack of doing something. And even then it won't be all be bad. I'll have some great experiences that I can tell my grandkids about. I'll meet new and interesting friends and possibly life friends (not in a gay way). I'll get to travel the world. OK I may end up in Afganistan, but again that's a hell of an experience few will ever have.

I'm not drunk now by the way, but I love you. Go for it man!

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 6191
RE: Out of Nothing - 11/9/2009 10:25:43 PM   
Castor Troy

I appreciate your enthusiasm and it's something I've kind of thought about because it offers adventure and the chance to learn skills but I think that's about all I'd like about it. As you said, I kind of feel settled, and even though I'm only 25 I don't really want to be away from home for long periods of time. My brother is in the navy and he doesn't like it. He's done some awesome stuff like learning about Sniping, going to Iraq, going off to Afghan soon, got his green beret, etc etc, but overall he doesn't like not being 'free' and I think I'd resent that too.

If I was single and had a shit home life (obviously I'm not saying you do) I think it's something I'd probably go for but I really like that part of my life and I just want a career/job that pays alright and I don't hate and I'll be happy. Plus, I don't want to go to war.

I wish you all the best and respect you for doing something so drastically different and difficult but I don't think it's for me.

Are you gonna have to cut your girly hair?

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 6192
RE: Out of Nothing - 15/9/2009 6:50:55 PM   
HIM

Well I've just returned from Westbury in Wiltshire where I've been on a 2 day brief at the Army Officer Selection Board. It was tough, more mentally tough than physically, and quite stressful but really good fun and I came away with a pass (specifically a Category 3 pass but more on that later). I arrived yesterday morning at 1030 with around 65 other candidates and we were split into groups of 6 which we'd stay with throughout the two days. After a very boring and dry lecture about the application process (which went on for an hour) we each took a MAP test (mental aptitude profile) which is basically verbal, numeracy and logic tests on a computer to see if you've got the brains to be an Officer. Then in our groups we had to give a 2 minute presentation each about ourselves followed by a group discussion on varying topics relating to current affairs. After that came a planning excercise which was extremely tough and lastly a one on one interview. And that was day one.

Day two started at 0615 when we had to get up, make our beds and tidy our room before heading over for breakfast. Next came a debriefing on the previous days planning excercise and then it was time for physical. First up was the MSFT, or multi-stage fitness test, (bleep test to you and me) where we had to reach level 10.2 followed by an individual obsticle course. Then it was some simple knot tying techniques followed by the team based obsticle courses where we had to get ourselves and some equipment from platform A to platform B without touching the ground. Lastly we had a final debriefing and were given our grades. I scored above average on the mental tasks and I completed the MSFT and obstacle course without a problem. My main area of concern (and the reason I got a Cat 3 instead of a Cat 1) was my personality. My interview was shockingly bad as I didn't prepare for that so I didn't do myself any favours with that and all of us in my group were told we were basically too nice and courteous to each other and no one really took the inititaive to lead. Being an Officer you need to take charge and lead from the front, so he had a fair point on that. My group did bond really well though and no one really wanted to be the Billy Big Balls and make the other people look bad which is why no one took charge. Lesson learned there. So I definately have the brains to be an Officer and I'm more than fit enough but there's question marks about whether I have the right personality.

So the next step is 4 days at the Main Board (again at Westbury) and if I pass that then it's on to the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst to train for a year to become an Officer. At the moment though I'm undecided. Being an Officer would be a real boon and it carries certain advantages such as increased pay and greater respect but to be honest from what was described it sounds a lot like an Officer is mostly a teacher-come-admin to the troops he/she is commanding. The Officer is responsible for training troops, looking after their welfare, dealing with any problems thay have, issuing orders and generally looking after them. There's very little hands on work (remember when Captain Winters was told not to fire his weapon at Bastogne). As a solider I'd still get to travel the world and meet lots of new and interesting people and I'd still get fantastic training but I'd be more hands on and get more vocational training. There's also the possiblity of becoming an NCO (non-comminsioned officer) later on. I'm also considering the RAF (not as an officer). So at the moment I'm undecided about becoming an Officer but I still want to press ahead with a career in the Armed forces.

And yes, I did have to cut my girly hair!

Post #: 6193
RE: Out of Nothing - 1/8/2010 7:07:34 PM   
Mojo

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 6194
RE: Out of Nothing - 1/8/2010 7:27:20 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 6195
RE: Out of Nothing - 2/8/2010 7:48:11 AM   
Castor Troy

Fuck yes. I've just bought Season 4 on DVD and will start it tonight.

This forum has been pretty shit lately. I mean, really shit. I still come here everyday but rarely do I post. There are about 3 names that I look for to read their posts. Every now and then I think about giving it all up and going out in a blaze of glory. But as I wade through the sewers of bullshit, ready to pull the pins on the belt of grenades wrapped around my chest, I see a glimmer of light up ahead. I run to it as fast as I can, sometimes stumbling but determined to reach this beacon of hope. And here it is. This is that beacon. This is that light. It is both the reminder of a forgotten greatness and a vehicle for possible ressurection. It is most likely a resurection that will never come, but that doesn't matter. Because there's hope.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 6196
RE: Out of Nothing - 2/8/2010 10:58:57 PM   
Mojo

Ah Spiked Hero, its been a long time since I've seen you in combat and although it may look like you're the underdog in that EPIC scrap I think you could come out on top. The armour will protect from any bites and you're fuckin' solid tale will bash that Rex's head in.

I agree Castor, I visit this site everyday but rarely post. I'll go in the Liverpool FC thread and just look around the place but my interest in posting is decreasing. I really want to watch some Bear Grylls before I embark on my travels, WHICH IS TWO WEEKS TODAY. I'm so fucking stoked its unreal, I'm going on a real adventure.

Post #: 6197
RE: Out of Nothing - 2/8/2010 11:37:51 PM   
tommyjarvis

Where are you going Mojo?

I agree that this forum isn't half as interesting as it was a few years ago but I still find myself unable to properly drag myself away from it for some reason.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 6198
RE: Out of Nothing - 3/8/2010 7:29:35 AM   
Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

Ah Spiked Hero, its been a long time since I've seen you in combat and although it may look like you're the underdog in that EPIC scrap I think you could come out on top. The armour will protect from any bites and you're fuckin' solid tale will bash that Rex's head in.

I agree Castor, I visit this site everyday but rarely post. I'll go in the Liverpool FC thread and just look around the place but my interest in posting is decreasing. I really want to watch some Bear Grylls before I embark on my travels, WHICH IS TWO WEEKS TODAY. I'm so fucking stoked its unreal, I'm going on a real adventure.

Shit man, two weeks? How long you going for again? Have you planned anything or is it all on the fly? Make sure you Bear Grylls it up at every opportunity. I just watched an episode where he is trying to get hold of a wild boar that he's got trapped that's going mental, but he can't get hold of it's hind legs, so he says 'i'm gonna have to improvise' - so he just jumps on it. So maybe do that.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 6199
RE: Out of Nothing - 3/8/2010 7:53:15 AM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

Well I've just returned from Westbury in Wiltshire where I've been on a 2 day brief at the Army Officer Selection Board. It was tough, more mentally tough than physically, and quite stressful but really good fun and I came away with a pass (specifically a Category 3 pass but more on that later). I arrived yesterday morning at 1030 with around 65 other candidates and we were split into groups of 6 which we'd stay with throughout the two days. After a very boring and dry lecture about the application process (which went on for an hour) we each took a MAP test (mental aptitude profile) which is basically verbal, numeracy and logic tests on a computer to see if you've got the brains to be an Officer. Then in our groups we had to give a 2 minute presentation each about ourselves followed by a group discussion on varying topics relating to current affairs. After that came a planning excercise which was extremely tough and lastly a one on one interview. And that was day one.

Day two started at 0615 when we had to get up, make our beds and tidy our room before heading over for breakfast. Next came a debriefing on the previous days planning excercise and then it was time for physical. First up was the MSFT, or multi-stage fitness test, (bleep test to you and me) where we had to reach level 10.2 followed by an individual obsticle course. Then it was some simple knot tying techniques followed by the team based obsticle courses where we had to get ourselves and some equipment from platform A to platform B without touching the ground. Lastly we had a final debriefing and were given our grades. I scored above average on the mental tasks and I completed the MSFT and obstacle course without a problem. My main area of concern (and the reason I got a Cat 3 instead of a Cat 1) was my personality. My interview was shockingly bad as I didn't prepare for that so I didn't do myself any favours with that and all of us in my group were told we were basically too nice and courteous to each other and no one really took the inititaive to lead. Being an Officer you need to take charge and lead from the front, so he had a fair point on that. My group did bond really well though and no one really wanted to be the Billy Big Balls and make the other people look bad which is why no one took charge. Lesson learned there. So I definately have the brains to be an Officer and I'm more than fit enough but there's question marks about whether I have the right personality.

So the next step is 4 days at the Main Board (again at Westbury) and if I pass that then it's on to the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst to train for a year to become an Officer. At the moment though I'm undecided. Being an Officer would be a real boon and it carries certain advantages such as increased pay and greater respect but to be honest from what was described it sounds a lot like an Officer is mostly a teacher-come-admin to the troops he/she is commanding. The Officer is responsible for training troops, looking after their welfare, dealing with any problems thay have, issuing orders and generally looking after them. There's very little hands on work (remember when Captain Winters was told not to fire his weapon at Bastogne). As a solider I'd still get to travel the world and meet lots of new and interesting people and I'd still get fantastic training but I'd be more hands on and get more vocational training. There's also the possiblity of becoming an NCO (non-comminsioned officer) later on. I'm also considering the RAF (not as an officer). So at the moment I'm undecided about becoming an Officer but I still want to press ahead with a career in the Armed forces.

And yes, I did have to cut my girly hair!

This is the option I chose! So far I've had an aptitude test, interview, medical and pre-joining fitness test and passed each step. I'm going in as an ICT Technician which involves installing and maintaining the RAF's data networks (wired, wireless, satellite, radar etc...). Just waiting for the next step now.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 6200
RE: Out of Nothing - 3/8/2010 11:05:48 AM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

Where are you going Mojo?

I'm spending three months traveling round South-East Asia - Malaysia, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Loas - then off to New Zealand for a year with a working visa. I'm really excited but at the same time incredibly nervous. Never been away for anything like this before, obviously there was Uni but that was a three hour journey back home so never truly felt like I was on my own so this is a first for me. Very scary but awesome all the same.

Not planned too much, just booked flights into and out of Asia, so I know that on the 2nd of December I'll be flying from Perth to the big NZ.

One thing I definitely want to do is tubing in Loas, where you go down a river on a rubber ring and there's bars littered along the bank, and they throw out a rope and drag you in. You have a pint there, get back on the river and let the current take you to the next bar. Gonna be SICK:

Meanwhile, HIM is turning into a bona-fide HERO.

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 6201
RE: Out of Nothing - 3/8/2010 1:26:42 PM   
HIM

Congratulations on your adventure Mojoey. Me and my girlfriend are planning to go traveling around South-East Asia next year.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 6202
RE: Out of Nothing - 3/8/2010 6:03:39 PM   
Mojo

Knowing me I will have been tricked into marrying a Thai bird and giving her all my money so I'll still be there, look me up!

Things that have been AWESOME of late:

Holy fuck that's all, I can't think of any more awesome.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 6203
RE: Out of Nothing - 3/8/2010 9:42:17 PM   
Castor Troy

That A-Team picture is better than the film. I might like it more on second viewing. It had all the right ingredients (that picture) but as a whole it left me cold.

Mojo, you're pretty much definitely gonna be in NZ when they're filming the Hobbit I reckon. Get a job on the set and pitch Peter Jackson 'Extinction' or 'The Thirst'.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 6204
RE: Out of Nothing - 6/8/2010 1:36:42 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

Knowing me I will have been tricked into marrying a Thai bird and giving her all my money so I'll still be there, look me up!

I shall call on you for free accommodation if I make it as far as Thailand!

Will you be doing some kind of travel blog so as we may keep up with your expedition? I'd be very interested in reading it, not only to keep track of how you're doing - and fill you in on Liverpool's continuing success - but so I can get some tips on places to visit when I go.

Also, I thought the new Karate Kid film fell under the banner of AWESOME recently.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 6205
RE: Out of Nothing - 10/8/2010 10:55:14 AM   
kata

Just got this email...

quote:

I am Mrs Elizabeth Etters, a devoted christian. I have a foundation/Estate uncompletd and
needed somebody to help me finish it because of my health, the funds for this available.
Please contact me for more details.Email: mrs.elizabethetters

Omg omg, we should help her out guys... She's a devoted christian!...

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 6206
RE: Out of Nothing - 16/8/2010 7:31:16 AM   
Mojo

Okay, well today I depart for a holiday. A very long holiday, and one I don't think I'll return from. In fact I mean not to....

Keep it real brothers and sisters, I'll pop in from time to time.

www.getjealous.com/ladyboysandkiwifruits

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 6207
RE: Out of Nothing - 16/8/2010 7:46:14 AM   
Castor Troy

Is that you writing on that blog? I'm gonna bookmark that shit. Have a FUCKING AMAZING time. Do everything that presents itself to you. Find a woman. Have some sex. Take some drugs. Climb a mountain. Swim a lake. Jump off a bridge. Eat some weird shit. Fight a local gang.

I watched Jurassic Park the other day and thought of you. I was thinking; 'I wonder if Mojo thinks the film would be better if someone else was cast in the Alan Grant role' but then I realised I already knew the answer.

Peace and love my brother. Peace and love my captian, my king.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 6208
RE: Out of Nothing - 18/8/2010 2:53:50 AM   
Mojo

Sam Neil could IS Alan Grant. Don't you forget it.

I don't know if its a good or bad thing that there's instant internet access in the hostel but its easing me away from you slowly and I think that's just what I needed.

Post #: 6209
RE: Out of Nothing - 24/9/2011 10:14:16 AM   
Mojo

Perhaps its apt that that last post in this thread, over a year ago, was the great Sam Neil as Dr Alan Grant. Today I'm going to see the absolute classic that is Jurassic Park on its re-release, with Castor Troy (in spirit).

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 6210
Page:   <<   < prev  204 205 206 [207] 208   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Out of Nothing Page: <<   < prev  204 205 206 [207] 208   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI