Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top tips for the new forum

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: Top tips for the new forum Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 19/2/2006 7:13:22 PM   
lulu karma

The Midnight Angel gif is too large to be made to fit our size limitations for file size.   That was the signature image that was removed.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

(in reply to Anne Hedley)
Post #: 151
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 19/2/2006 7:27:37 PM   
Anne Hedley

lulu karma wrote

quote:

The Midnight Angel gif is too large to be made to fit our size limitations for file size.   That was the signature image that was removed.

Yes lulu karma I understand this as I said in my message to you can you down size this for me as I do not know how to do this  -  if not let me know and I will see what I can come up with in my limitiaions.

Thanks again

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 152
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 19/2/2006 7:37:47 PM   
lulu karma

I have PM'd you about this Anne.  The image is too large in file size to be reduced to 5k.  It's over 73,000K in its original form.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

Post #: 153
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 19/2/2006 7:47:19 PM   
Anne Hedley

lulu karma wrote

[quote}I have PM'd you about this Anne.  The image is too large in file size to be reduced to 5k.  It's over 73,000K in its original form.[/quote]

Yes you did send a PM which I recieved but it did not mention the size in its original form  -  sorry about the misunderstanding and I assume that goes for James sig as well.     I will see if I can think of something that will come into line with this although this is not my strongest point on the forum yet   - but never say die we will get there and thanks  Anne

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 154
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 19/2/2006 7:48:58 PM   
lulu karma

I have contacted James for clarification on the image that you posted.

Post #: 155
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 19/2/2006 8:05:57 PM   
Anne Hedley

lulu karma wrote

quote:

I have contacted James for clarification on the image that you posted.

Thanks I await your reply and hopefully your assistance if it is too large for a sig.
Anne 

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 156
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 19/2/2006 8:18:38 PM   
lulu karma

We'll get it sorted out.

Post #: 157
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 19/2/2006 11:41:03 PM   
Anne Hedley

lulu karma wrote

quote:

We'll get it sorted out.

Thanks I have every faith in you.   I was not sending the PM messages quite right but it's ok I have sorted it out now.  It is slightly different to what I have been used to but no worries I got there

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 158
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 20/2/2006 8:31:03 AM   
*Jack of all Trades*

I can't find a poll button. Even though i've seen one in this area. I want to do one in off topic but can't see the button. Am I going slowly but surely insane?

OMG WTF KTHXBAI

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 159
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 20/2/2006 10:55:10 AM   
Bubba

quote:

ORIGINAL: lulu karma

doubleshiny, what is the site you are trying to link to and what do you want the link to say?  I'll give it a try for you.  Send me a PM with the info.

I want to link my dvd diary and maybe my cinema diary - help!

Boy, the next word that comes out of your mouth better be some brilliant fuckin' Mark Twain shit. 'Cause it's definitely getting chiselled on your tombstone.

I donít condone conflict of any kind, be it star-based or otherwise.

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 160
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 20/2/2006 12:32:45 PM   
Anne Hedley

lulu karma

I wondered if we could open a new topic for our dearly loved and lamented actors with news and pics.

For example Errol Flynn the greatest swashbuckler of them all [forget Kostner he is wet   --Mr. Cool himself  Steve McQueen and the talented William Holden of The Wild Bunch and appeared in Western, Drama, Comedy and an oscar for Stalag 17  - other members may have other ideas that would bring these dearly loved actors back to us a for a little rememberance

Just a thought just a thought   

(in reply to Bubba)
Post #: 161
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 20/2/2006 1:51:10 PM   
lulu karma

quote:

ORIGINAL: *Jack of all Trades*

I can't find a poll button. Even though i've seen one in this area. I want to do one in off topic but can't see the button. Am I going slowly but surely insane?

Polls used to be permitted, but we began to receive complaints about the number of polls being used on the forum.  So, the function has been removed from most forums.  In the few that still have this function, if one is started in hopes that it will be moved to MM, OT, etc. it will in fact be closed.  Yes, we have had people try that is why I mention it.

Bubba... here you go...  [ url=http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=192156]My Cinema Diary[/url ]

[ url=http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1147]My DVD Diary[/url ] 

Remove the space before url at the beginning and after url at the end for each one.  I had to add the spaces so you could see what to put into your sig box.  I tried doing it myself, but I'm getting a lot of server errors this morning and couldn't do it.

Anne, the signature images rule that we have followed for a few years still applies.  Signature images of 5k in file size or similar in visual size to the smiles found on Empire are the guidelines.

There is a Golden Oldies forum.  That is a place to look to see if a thread such as the one you mention already exists.

Also, instead of PMing or emailing James about signature color and resizing images, people here are most helpful with that if a mod doesn't answer the question first.  Only if it is decided to be an actual glitch do we then pass it along to James.

< Message edited by lulu karma -- 20/2/2006 2:01:19 PM >

(in reply to *Jack of all Trades*)
Post #: 162
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 20/2/2006 7:00:49 PM   
Anne Hedley

lulu karma wrote
quote:

Anne, the signature images rule that we have followed for a few years still applies.  Signature images of 5k in file size or similar in visual size to the smiles found on Empire are the guidelines.

There is a Golden Oldies forum.  That is a place to look to see if a thread such as the one you mention already exists.

Also, instead of PMing or emailing James about signature color and resizing images, people here are most helpful with that if a mod doesn't answer the question first.  Only if it is decided to be an actual glitch do we then pass it along to James.

I appreciate that you have rules for sigs which have been in place for a few years but I have only joined this forum and after two sig being removed and your info that they were too big I have taken note.  When I was initially trying to get a sig there was a glitch on getting it there - hence my amails and PM's. We keep going over the same ground.  My email to James initially was to as for assistance with a sig  -  this was the burgundy one submitted and worked on my forum but some one did say they had not seen one so large.   I therefore tried my own sig [the blue back ground with Midnight-Angel and small pic of Hugh Jackman]   and it worked.   It stayed for a while and you have removed it, and as I have said I understand now you have told me.  I have only asked you if you could downsize the sig  - I had no reason to make the request earlier as I did not know there was a problem.

I am new to the site and I do like it but as all seemed well I was happy and you said dont worry it will be sorted !!

What is the link for the Golden Oldies please

If I get an email for what appears to be james@empireonline.co.uk the that is where I have replied to either in email form or PM.  If I should have contacted some one like yourself  - I now understand but I was not privy to that information.

Who is the best person to contact regarding my signature and avatar please ?

Nice talking again  Anne 

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 163
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 20/2/2006 7:01:43 PM   
Anne Hedley

lulu karma wrote
quote:

Hi in reply to the above I do not know waht PMing is.   I did no email about colour change or resizing I had received an email informing me I had a signature it had james

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 164
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 20/2/2006 7:10:55 PM   
Anne Hedley

lulu karma

On the 12.02.06 by i007_Bond_007i there is a message for me a and a picture of the sig that I have been talking about.   I could not have created it because I don't know how to do so and I want to keep as near as possible to the one I want.

Does this help  - at least it proves there has been 2 sigs

Thanks    Anne 

Post #: 165
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 20/2/2006 7:23:06 PM   
BigBadWolf

Anne, ok, do you have a picture you wish to use as an avatar? these also need to be of a certain size, I think the forum default is 100 by 100 pixels, not sure of the KB limit.

Anyhow, when you have a picture to use, it's best to host it on a site like photobucket.

Then click on My Empire in the top left hand corner, you will notice a set of tabs.  Click on the one which says my details.

If you scroll down the page a bit, you will see a space to add a signature. 

There is also a section that says My Avatar, now you need to copy the URL link of the picture you want to use, then paste it into the small box next to enter url, and click the circle.

When you have done this scroll to the bottom of the page and click APPLY MY CHANGES.

Golden Oldies you can see on the main forum page, just below actors and auteurs!

Post #: 166
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 20/2/2006 7:27:39 PM   
Kid A

Good grief, who cares about sigs? Just get onto the main forum and contribute to the fantastic discussions taking place here.  You seem to have taken an age over a signature and over an avatar. things that really have no nearing on your contribution to the forum.

To upload your avatar go to the top left of the screen and click on My Empire, then chose Preferences and then type in the URL for your avatar in the space provided. Click apply and you're done. 

We don't allow pictures, as Lulu had stated on numerous occasions, so just put some quote there or a joke and get on with what we are about, having excellent discussions on a huge variety of subjects. I dont even read sigs anyway!!!

Post #: 167
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 20/2/2006 11:25:42 PM   
Anne Hedley

Thank you BigBadWolf.

I have I think followed the instructions correctly [and I hope it is not just in my dreams] so let's see what we come up with.

If what I have selected turns out to be too big, how do I tell what size I have selected and what to do to make it ok.    Fingers crossed.

I will look at the Golden Oldies later

(in reply to Kid A)
Post #: 168
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 20/2/2006 11:36:39 PM   
Anne Hedley

BIGBADWOLF

Unfortunately I have made what is known as 'a buggers muddle ' of this.   I have forgotten how to find the size of pixels on my pics can you remind me as I thought the two I selected were small  - big deal I got that way out.    Can you go into my details and delete the enourmous avatar I have instead of the tiny one and I will start again.

Sorry to be a bother butI just want to get it right.    I have not had this problem before with my sig.

Post #: 169
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 21/2/2006 1:02:27 AM   
BigBadWolf

To find the size of the picture (pixels/bytes) just right click on the picture and then click properties.

If you do this with some of the avatars in this thread it will give you an idea of the size you can have in bytes, though in terms of dimension all avatars will be the same sized square, if that makes sense!

quote:

Can you go into my details and delete the enourmous avatar I have instead of the tiny one and I will start again.

If you mean me, sorry, I'm not a mod!

The sig I can't help with, I've not seen images used in them apart a few posters using small GIF images.

Do have any photo software that you can use to make you avatar image smaller if it is too big?

Post #: 170
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 21/2/2006 1:05:18 AM   
lulu karma

Anne, the image you have in your sig is way too large.  Here it is:

Does this look small enough to fit in a signature?  Also, why are you asking Wolf to go into your details when that person is not a moderator?

Paste this into your signature box: [ img]http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/4627/sfhughjackman0146jr.jpg[/img ]

Take out the space before img at the beginning and the space after /img at the end to have the image show up in your signature.  Taking out these spaces as I have just explained will have it show up as this image which is the correct size for the forum:

In fact, I have gone ahead and added it to your signature since it is the image you chose.

I am with Kid A on this one.  I think you need to start contributing to other areas of the forum.  At this point, I feel that the mods and other members have offered what help they can within reason.

< Message edited by lulu karma -- 21/2/2006 1:24:53 AM >

Post #: 171
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 21/2/2006 1:25:24 AM   
Anne Hedley

lulu karma wrote
quote:

Does this look small enough to fit in a signature?  Also, why are you asking Wolf to go into your details when that person is not a moderator?

I am with Kid A on this one.  I think you need to start contributing to other areas of the forum.  At this point, I feel that the mods have offered what help they can within reason.

If you had the facts in the correct order you would note that Wolf actually contacted me to help me.   I tried to do what he said but although the print of the above picture of my photo bucket is small and I need to investigate sizes in future -  unfortunately it came out large.  It was a matter of courtesy I replied to him and informed him of the large picture.   Of course it is too big  to repeat myself once again.    You said you could sort it that has not happened yet and I wondered if any of my pictures could be downsized.     As a matter of  fact I have been over to the Golden Oldies site and I am looking at other features.   If after all you are unable to give me an avatar or sig referring to Hugh Jackman sobeit.  I am not embarrassed at your question as to whether the picture was too large or not I found that out for myself and actioned this.  If I had known how to delete it and start again I would have done so.

As to the mods offering help I fully appreciated  this but as the link in the first instance was not working I had to contact someone and as promised I  showed you where to look where a sig had been created for me.   You said you would be able to sort it, if you cannot there is no harm done.   We are members of a forum and we all want to be friends and give each other information, pictures and enjoy the other facets of the forum. I have not had this trouble with my sig before and I am using the Midnight-Angel one.    Worry ye not I will get there in the end at the end the worst senario there is a nice pic of Hugh up there for his fans.   

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 172
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 21/2/2006 1:31:52 AM   
Anne Hedley

BigBadWolf wrote
quote:

To find the size of the picture (pixels/bytes) just right click on the picture and then click properties.

If you do this with some of the avatars in this thread it will give you an idea of the size you can have in bytes, though in terms of dimension all avatars will be the same sized square, if that makes sense!

Thank you Big Bad Wolf I just could not remember I knew it was simple but I guess I was getting frustrated with it somewhat as I have never had this trouble before.  Thanks for Hugh

Post #: 173
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 21/2/2006 1:33:22 AM   
lulu karma

What I said I would get sorted, I did.  It was the question of your Midnight Angel image being approved that I said I would find out about.  I informed you that it was not approved as you had indicated.  So there you have it.

I think things are wrapped up on this matter.

Post #: 174
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 21/2/2006 1:43:09 AM   
Anne Hedley

lulu karma wrote

quote:

What I said I would get sorted, I did.  It was the question of your Midnight Angel image being approved that I said I would find out about.  I informed you that it was not approved as you had indicated.  So there you have it.

I think things are wrapped up on this matter.

Sobeit but who put the burgundy signature under my name  - that you have not been able to discover and it matters not anymore so let us both put the matter to rest and we can all get on with having fun.

Just one question when I wish to import a picture I check my posts on preview which states attachments do not show on the preview  -  in fact they do show on my preview but do not transfer to the post.  Any ideas on that one

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 175
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 21/2/2006 1:44:32 AM   
lulu karma

No, I can't answer it for you.   I think any issues you have with posting are not keeping you from posting in other sections of the forum.

I have no idea what you mean when you say that you had a burgundy signature and at this point can be of no assistance to you regarding it. 

At this time, you really need to move on to posting in other sections of the forum and familiarizing yourself with our different sections.  Other members and myself have for pages tried to assist you.  Part of it will be that you need to simply learn how to do these things on your own.  Asking other members or moderators to do some of the things that you have is really not appropriate.  Examples would be resizing images for you.  If you lack the proper software to resize images, I directed you to a thread earlier where you can ask for people's help in doing these things.  However, it is their time that they are offering and they are not required to do these things - just like myself.

Please refer to the first post in this thread to answer many of the questions you have asked.

< Message edited by lulu karma -- 21/2/2006 3:20:12 AM >

Post #: 176
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 21/2/2006 12:12:36 PM   
Kid A

I think I have just officially lost the will to live.

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 177
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 21/2/2006 1:38:49 PM   
Anne Hedley

Kid A wrote
quote:

Oh don't do that Kid A  - whatever can I do to return the will to live

Anne [Midnight-Angel]

(in reply to Kid A)
Post #: 178
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 21/2/2006 2:49:41 PM   
lulu karma

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kid A

No, no, Kidders.  You and I have moderated together way too long and seen this sort of behavior on the forum before.  It would be better if it was at least original.

Anyway, let's get back to helping people that actually want to contribute to the forum.  Otherwise, people will need to start clapping to show they believe in you.  Then I will call you Tinkerbell.

(in reply to Kid A)
Post #: 179
RE: Top tips for the new forum - 21/2/2006 2:59:05 PM   
RuffKut

quote:

ORIGINAL: lulu karma

It would be better if it was at least original.

It's half term. This place quickly fills up with nutters...erm... I mean 'interesting' people at half term.

Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies...

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: Top tips for the new forum Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI