Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Slings and Arrows

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Slings and Arrows Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slings and Arrows - 16/8/2006 1:06:15 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

Has anybody seen this show? I'd never heard of it before but on my web travels stumbled across it. It is a Canadian drama starring Paul Gross (Constable Benton Fraser in Due South) and Rachel McAdams (Red Eye, Mean Girls, The Notebook).

quote:

SLINGS AND ARROWS is based in the fictional town of New Burbage where legendary theatrical madman Geoffrey Tennant (Paul Gross) returns to the New Burbage Theatre Festival, the site of his greatest triumph and most humiliating failure, to assume the Artistic Directorship after the sudden death of his mentor, Oliver Welles. When Geoffrey arrives he finds that Oliver is still there, in spirit anyway, and with his guidance (and often in spite of it) Geoffrey attempts to reconcile with his past while wrestling the Festival back from the marketing department. Despite a bitter leading lady, a clueless leading man, and a scheming General Manager, he manages to stage a remarkable production of Hamlet; the play that drove him mad.

Only six episodes per season, but from what I've read it's quality through and through. I've just ordered the first season DVD (Region 1 of course) and it was only 17 which wasn't bad. Just hope I like it!
Post #: 1
RE: Slings and Arrows - 16/8/2006 1:09:02 AM   
Mycroft

No, but if its got Paul Gross in it I'm there! Where's he been languishing all this time?

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 2
RE: Slings and Arrows - 16/8/2006 1:21:59 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

God knows. I did hear he played the Canadian PM in an excellent drama called H2O but other than that I haven't heard from him in a while.

But Rachel McAdams!

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 3
RE: Slings and Arrows - 16/8/2006 1:26:52 AM   
Mycroft

How did we not hear about this if its on its 3rd season, shown on HBO, and most importantly stars the delectable McAdams? Which site did you find it at? I'm gonna download the first episode and buy it if its any good.

Post #: 4
RE: Slings and Arrows - 16/8/2006 1:36:59 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

Because it's not an original HBO show. They're the broadcaster but not the creators. I think they only big up shows they make themselves. I only read about it this past weekend as it was in one of the TV Guide (currently being shown on the Artsworld channel), so I read up about it and bought the DVD off PlayUSA. But it sounds great, can't wait to see it.

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 5
RE: Slings and Arrows - 16/8/2006 5:52:23 PM   
elab49

Like many excellent series around at the moment Slings and Arrows is Canadian and well worth a blind buy. Apart from the slight problem at the end where it is very difficult to portray powerful acting on screen as an actor playing an actor without looking a ponce, the series, I thought, was excellent with some quite wonderful performances (and Gross does seem to like bringing back the dead!).

Also interesting is that the utter evil bitch is, of course, American - Canadians clearly aren't fans. Of course, anyone who has seen the quite insane H2O would already know that.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 6
RE: Slings and Arrows - 8/12/2006 12:52:20 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

What a show! Just finished the first season there, astounding stuff. Gross is just a fucking powerhouse in it, completely crazy but brilliant. The scene where he explained Ophelia's madness to her portrayer was breathtaking. And the rest of the cast are outstanding too. Have now ordered Season 2, can't wait to see it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: Slings and Arrows - 8/12/2006 11:05:31 AM   
Captain Black

I've got the first season of this (big thanks to forumite JV for getting it for me) and have just seen the first episode so far - I'm hoping I'll get some time over Christmas to watch in one go.

I found it a bit mixed; I loved the start, that had a lot of charm and some good dialogue. Gross really is a terrific actor.

Not too keen on some of the other aspects, it was just drunken nonsense and far from what I was hoping. Nevertheless I get the impression that when all the characters are brought together and the focus is back on the small theatre company I'll get into it a bit more.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

Post #: 8
RE: Slings and Arrows - 8/12/2006 11:16:32 AM   
elab49

I think it is better to see the series as a whole so hopefully you'll be able to access it somehow. I don't think the second season was quite as a good but still the overall quality was well above most shows nowadays.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 9
RE: Slings and Arrows - 8/12/2006 11:19:38 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

I've got the first season of this (big thanks to forumite JV for getting it for me) and have just seen the first episode so far - I'm hoping I'll get some time over Christmas to watch in one go.

I found it a bit mixed; I loved the start, that had a lot of charm and some good dialogue. Gross really is a terrific actor.

Not too keen on some of the other aspects, it was just drunken nonsense and far from what I was hoping. Nevertheless I get the impression that when all the characters are brought together and the focus is back on the small theatre company I'll get into it a bit more.

I see what you mean, but the first couple of episodes are just spent setting things up. So you're right, it's not till episode three that things really kick into high gear.

One of my favourite jokes in it is when Geoffrey's assistant asks him if he wants coffee. He tells her he wants a black coffee and she then asks if he wants cream and sugar.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Slings and Arrows Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI