Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 7/12/2012 12:17:19 PM   
jermreen

I have been following 2000AD myself for most of my life and have been a die hard fan of Dredd. I was very happy with the new movie, thought it was gritty and violent and also had a bit of dark humour which Dredd stories are full of. Started collecting the complete case files and nearly completed No.2. That Chief Judge Cal, what a psycho, these stories were before my time so it is an absolute privilege to read them for the first time. Cant wait to read the early 90's Dredd stories again. What Case File number is Necropolis in btw?
My top 5 Dredd stories so far are:
1. Mandroid
2. America
3. The Day the Law Died
4. Chaos Day
5. The Hunting Party

(in reply to films_are_for_geeks)
Post #: 121
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 7/12/2012 1:30:09 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I just picked up my copy earlier today (prior ro meeting Idris Elba; see the actors and auteurs thread ) and although i've yet to read it, i have to say that Carl Critchlow's artwork is fucking TERRIFIC!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to jermreen)
Post #: 122
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 7/12/2012 2:06:33 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: jermreen

I have been following 2000AD myself for most of my life and have been a die hard fan of Dredd. I was very happy with the new movie, thought it was gritty and violent and also had a bit of dark humour which Dredd stories are full of. Started collecting the complete case files and nearly completed No.2. That Chief Judge Cal, what a psycho, these stories were before my time so it is an absolute privilege to read them for the first time. Cant wait to read the early 90's Dredd stories again. What Case File number is Necropolis in btw?
My top 5 Dredd stories so far are:
1. Mandroid
2. America
3. The Day the Law Died
4. Chaos Day
5. The Hunting Party

Necropolis is in Case Files 14: i read it not too long ago and loved it. Superb.

I've yet to read Mandroid - what case files is that story collected in?

EDIT: nice to see the exploits of Cal featuring highly on your list! btw, have you read The Pit?

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 7/12/2012 2:09:40 PM >

(in reply to jermreen)
Post #: 123
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 8/12/2012 12:28:13 PM   
jermreen

Thanks, Mandroid is an amazing read, extremely dark and violent, quite similar to America in the sense that Dredd is not the main character and is portrayed as not the hero some people think he is. Its a very emotional story and a bit of a tear jerker too I think, the art is by Kev Walker who is one of my fav Dredd artists at the mo. Other artists that offered their talents to this superb story are Carl Critchlow, and Simon Coleby. Pick it up as a graphic novel now Nexus, you will not be disappointed or you can simply wait until it pops up in one of the case files. The prog number is 1453-1464 and the second part to the story is prog 1555-1566 so I am not sure where you are in relation to the case file number though. Hope it helps.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 124
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 8/12/2012 12:34:16 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

Thanks, Mandroid is an amazing read, extremely dark and violent, quite similar to America in the sense that Dredd is not the main character and is portrayed as not the hero some people think he is. Its a very emotional story and a bit of a tear jerker too I think, the art is by Kev Walker who is one of my fav Dredd artists at the mo. Other artists that offered their talents to this superb story are Carl Critchlow, and Simon Coleby. Pick it up as a graphic novel now Nexus, you will not be disappointed or you can simply wait until it pops up in one of the case files. The prog number is 1453-1464 and the second part to the story is prog 1555-1566 so I am not sure where you are in relation to the case file number though. Hope it helps.

Thanks for that Jemreen! I will definitely seek it out.

Btw; i agree with you i too love Kev Walker's artwork. Absolutely superb.

(in reply to jermreen)
Post #: 125
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 8/12/2012 5:05:39 PM   
films_are_for_geeks

Tiernen Trevallion's artwork for 2000AD/JD Megazine is a similar style to Kevin Walker's artwork:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ciYG3gRMidc/TuTDGFNp-pI/AAAAAAAAAPA/b8nAHTB0w9o/s1600/absolom1.jpg

http://redheadedmule.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/judge-dredd-megazine-328-preview-dredd-ratfink.jpg

< Message edited by films_are_for_geeks -- 8/12/2012 5:09:31 PM >

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 126
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 8/12/2012 11:11:59 PM   
sauchieboy

Much of what you say about the conclusion to The Cold Deck is true, Scott, but everything that got us there was a lot of fun. The Cold Deck was great (you can read a preview here), but Low Life was the highlight for me. Dirty Frank himself is a great character, but Sensitive Klegg and Enormo Overdrive were classic 2000ad creations - I haven't read a strip that combined comedy and adventure so well since prime Wagner/Grant/Gibson Robohunter.

I know you love Wagner's Dredd, but what did you make of Mills and Langley's ABC Warriors? I haven't enjoyed any Warriors story as much since Bisley was wielding his marker pen - and having one of his characters execute the President of the USA in the Oval Office must be the fulfillment of a lifetime's ambition for Mills. He managed to tie the story into the classic Robusters strip pretty well too.

The end of year specials are always brilliant one-offs, and this week's massive Christmas issue is just fantastic. Tell me you didn't cream yourself when you saw THIS. John Wagner writing the return of the Dark Judges, with the unbelievable Greg Staples on art, means there's plenty to look forward to in the year to come.

< Message edited by sauchieboy -- 9/12/2012 9:43:23 AM >

Post #: 127
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 10/12/2012 1:20:27 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Wow! I've had my letter published in THE GALAXY'S GREATEST COMIC! Thank you Tharg for an early Christmas present!

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 128
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 10/12/2012 1:31:01 PM   
indysgill

Who did you get?

Last time I wrote in I got Johnny Alpha

Before that it was a mouse mat which I cant find right now.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

Post #: 129
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 10/12/2012 1:43:45 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysgill

Who did you get?

Last time I wrote in I got Johnny Alpha

Before that it was a mouse mat which I cant find right now.

Ah man i so want that Johnny Alpha figure!

That is bloody cool! I got a Brit-cit judge which is quite nice. I don't know if you can see it properly atop the pic i posted.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 130
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 10/12/2012 10:08:06 PM   
films_are_for_geeks

That is a glorious image of Judge Death. Looks like a cover for the graphic novel reprint of the forthcoming Judge Death story!

I reckon two of the greatest villains of all-time come from 2000AD.

Judge Death

and

Torquemada

Torquemada is the ultimate bigot and Judge Death is the devil given human type form.

On the subject of comedy in 2000AD, it's possible Rob Williams would be suitable for a Sam Slade Robohunter reboot. Willaims has got the wacky humour. Matt Brooker's (D'Israeli) art style would seem ideal for the strip.

< Message edited by films_are_for_geeks -- 10/12/2012 10:09:56 PM >

Post #: 131
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 20/1/2013 3:44:43 PM   
Mister Coe

Tried to start a new thread about this, but it got closed... wanted to start a newbie thread about Judge Dredd so I wouldn't bore the hardcore fans with my ignorant queries, but so be it, please be patient...

As I said before, my interest in JD was re-ignited by the recent movie. I've dipped in and out in my younger years (hey, I remember when 2000AD was twinned with STARLORD... damn, that ages me...) but lost contact with it all a long time ago. I'd really love to get back into the whole JD thing, but there's such a huge, baffling amount of stuff out there...

So let's pretend I'm a total newbie who never saw any of the comics. Where to go from here?

Say what now?

Post #: 132
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 20/1/2013 7:24:29 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I don't know if you've encountered them before but these i wholeheartedly recommend;

JUDGE DREDD: AMERICA
JUDGE DREDD: THE PIT
JUDGE DREDD: MANDROID

JUDGE DREDD CASE FILES 02: CURSED EARTH SAGA & THE DAY THE LAW DIED
JUDGE DREDD CASE FILES 04: THE JUDGE CHILD QUEST
JUDGE DREDD CASE FILES 05: THE APOCALYPSE WAR, BLOCK WAR & JUDGE DEATH LIVES
JUDGE DREDD CASE FILES 14: NECROPOLIS

All titles available from Amazon to buy.

Recent ones are CHAOS WARS story arc. First volume will be released this February.

Those are definite must reads.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 20/1/2013 8:34:51 PM >

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 133
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 21/1/2013 7:24:27 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

Tried to start a new thread about this, but it got closed... wanted to start a newbie thread about Judge Dredd so I wouldn't bore the hardcore fans with my ignorant queries, but so be it, please be patient...

I wouldn't worry about that, we're all friendly round these parts!

quote:

As I said before, my interest in JD was re-ignited by the recent movie. I've dipped in and out in my younger years (hey, I remember when 2000AD was twinned with STARLORD... damn, that ages me...) but lost contact with it all a long time ago. I'd really love to get back into the whole JD thing, but there's such a huge, baffling amount of stuff out there...

So let's pretend I'm a total newbie who never saw any of the comics. Where to go from here?

Rebellion, the company that has owned 2000AD since, well, 2000AD have been releasing all the JD stories in big paperbacks called the Judge Dredd Case Files for the last few years. They start from Prog 2 and - along with four "Restricted Files" covering various annuals, specials etc. - are currently on volume 19, bringing them up to the mid-90s era with stories by Ennis/Millar/Morrison (so around Prog 850 or so). From somewhere like Case Files 15 they've also started reprinting the Judge Dredd Megazine material. The first ten editions are in b&w and they then move to colour at the same time the original stories did. Case Files 20 is due to be released in a few months.

Nexus' recommendations are spot-on, to be honest. As you're familiar with the older material I would recommend starting on Case Files 02 (the Cursed Earth and The Day the Law Died epics). Case Files 01 is only ok; it was before they figured out the character and his world and is really more interesting in hindsight, when you can see the different places they were thinking of bringing Dredd back then. Then Case Files 04 and 05, as Nexus recommended. I would say get ALL of the Case Files if you have the time and can afford them; they really are a brilliant read. I think Case FIles 08 has my personal favourite story, The Midnight Surfer, starring Chopper and Supersurf 7!

If you'd prefer more recent material, I'd suggest starting with Judge Dredd: America and The Pit. America is the definitive Dredd/Mega-City One tale, in my opinion. It can be read as a standalone, self-contained story and is essentially the beginning of 'modern' Dredd.

The Pit marks original creator John Wagner's return to 2000AD after a long absence in the 90s and lays the groundwork for where the series has gone for the last decade and more. If you're going down the Case Files route, The Pit should be reprinted somewhere around Case Files 24 or thereabouts.

I would also recommend starting to pick up 2000AD again. It's a hell of a good read and there's plenty of great stuff in there, Dredd included!

As you remember the Starlord days, you might also be interested to know Rebellion have reprinted all the early Strontium Dog material in a similar fashion to the JD Cse Files. They're called the Strontium Dog: Agency Files and there are (I think) five volumes in total.

Hope that helps!

Post #: 134
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 25/1/2013 9:56:34 PM   
Mister Coe

Cheers, guys, for all that information...

Now excuse me while I go to Amazon whilst rubbing my head and figuring out what I can and can't afford...

I'll be back to you when I have a grip on it all...

Say what now?

Post #: 135
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 29/1/2013 10:13:58 PM   
Baggiebhoy

I'm up to the Complete Case Files #13, and Secret Files #1. Think I might have to get #14 this weekend after reading all the above.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 136
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 30/1/2013 9:52:12 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baggiebhoy

I'm up to the Complete Case Files #13, and Secret Files #1. Think I might have to get #14 this weekend after reading all the above.

Whats in the Secret Files? I don't think i've come across that. Or do you mean the Restricted Files? If so theres some great stuff in there!

(in reply to Baggiebhoy)
Post #: 137
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 12/2/2013 7:49:14 PM   
furrybastard

Just a quick note...

I've also added this to the original post but here's a link to Douglas Wolk's excellent Judge Dredd blog 'Dredd Reckoning'. For anyone who is asking 'were should I start?' with Dredd or need a chronological reference guide to the character, this is the place for you :: http://dreddreviews.blogspot.ca/2013/02/housekeeping-3-index-and-guide.html

Post #: 138
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 28/2/2013 2:04:32 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

Just a quick note...

I've also added this to the original post but here's a link to Douglas Wolk's excellent Judge Dredd blog 'Dredd Reckoning'. For anyone who is asking 'were should I start?' with Dredd or need a chronological reference guide to the character, this is the place for you :: http://dreddreviews.blogspot.ca/2013/02/housekeeping-3-index-and-guide.html

Yeah i came across this blog a while back. Really informative stuff and like furry says, a great place to check out if you're new to Dredd or coming back after a long break.

And 2000ad is firing on all cylinders right now. This weeks Programme....just.....wow!

Post #: 139
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 29/4/2014 4:27:03 PM   
jermreen

Ok, am currently on Case Files 11 which has the epic Oz in it. Can someone please tell me if all the complete case files are in black and white? I don't mind to be honest if they are but I'm just wondering because I know some of the later artists use beautiful colouring.

The Great Escape-5/5
Custer of the West-3/5
Hang em' High-4/5
Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut-5/5
True Romance-5/5

Post #: 140
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 30/4/2014 6:06:43 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

Ok, am currently on Case Files 11 which has the epic Oz in it. Can someone please tell me if all the complete case files are in black and white? I don't mind to be honest if they are but I'm just wondering because I know some of the later artists use beautiful colouring.

The first 11 or 12 are. 2000AD used to be all B&W, then at some point in the eighties Dredd would have a double spread colour page (these are reprinted as B&W in the case files; you'll notice the first two pages of many stories are a little darker/muddy). From Case Files 12 I think, there's more colour and they switch to thinner, glossier paper that really helps the colour work more effectively than it did in even the original issues. They also start including the Meg stories in later Case Files too.

(in reply to jermreen)
Post #: 141
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 30/4/2014 5:58:59 PM   
jermreen

Ohhh great, thanks for the info FurryBastard.

Post #: 142
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 1/5/2014 2:24:13 PM   
Willie Mayes Hayes

Does anyone know if 2000AD still publish Futureshocks, and if so, how regularly? Thanks

"Come on ladies, come on gentlemen, come on you trannies"

(in reply to jermreen)
Post #: 143
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 1/5/2014 5:19:34 PM   
Olaf

Maybe once a month or so? It varies since they only really come in when there's a space available (ie four six part strips and one five part strip = a FS or similar in the sixth prog), though generally they're regular enough to keep it fresh. Not sure how many of them are from completely new/unpublished people though.

How are people finding the current lineup anyway? I started reading last year based on the recommendations from people here, and it was a pretty good decision all things considered.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Willie Mayes Hayes)
Post #: 144
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 5/5/2014 3:26:05 PM   
Willie Mayes Hayes

Thanks, Olaf, much appreciated

"Come on ladies, come on gentlemen, come on you trannies"

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 145
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 23/7/2014 9:23:54 PM   
jermreen

After watching the recent masterpiece Dredd on DVD my friend was very impressed with the film and was interested in delving a little deeper into this bleak and violent world so I let him borrow my
America graphic novel. He had it read in one night lol. I thought America was a good starting point for a beginner as it is quite frankly the greatest Dredd story of all time. I have nearly all of Dredd's
graphic novels which stacks up to roughly about 2 feet in height including the complete case files (up to number 14 for the moment) so I suggested to him to read all the graphic novels first
and then start the complete case files. He is currently reading The Hunting Party, another classic Dredd epic which focuses on the Cursed Earth. Gotta say loved his reaction to America.

Recently Watched Movies:
Jaws: 10/10
The Hitcher(1986): 10/10
The Big Lebowski: 9/10
Gladiator: 10/10
The Abyss: 9/10
The Mission: 8/10

(in reply to Willie Mayes Hayes)
Post #: 146
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI