Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 7/7/2012 6:29:54 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysgill

Still waiting for the proposed Rouge Trooper one, think this was mention in the magazine when the Stallone version was out.

Ha Rouge Trooper!?

Apparently Grant Morrison is writing a draft of the screenplay at the moment. I imagine they're waiting to see how Dredd performs and if that does well, it might lead to Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog and more. The online campaign for Peter Mullen as Middenface McNulty starts here!

I'd hope that there would be a lot of diversity between these films, though I know Rebellion/2000AD probably don't have all that much control (though Alex Garland, producer/writer of Dredd, sought out lots of advice from the characters' creators and even changed elements of the script and did some reshoots after getting John Wagner's notes!). It'd be good to get a bunch of films that are all tonally unique rather than the uniform feel of the current Marvel films.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 7/7/2012 6:31:34 AM >

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 91
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 10/7/2012 5:33:23 PM   
kata

Just finished Case files 5 and wondering where to go. Will probably pick up The Pit and America next but after that I'm stumped.

Thinking about Case files 2.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Dredd-Complete-Case-Files/dp/1904265839/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1341937868&sr=1-2

I loved Case files 5, not only Block Mania and The Apocalypse War but also the minor stories and Judge Death Lives.

< Message edited by kata -- 10/7/2012 5:39:33 PM >

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 92
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 10/7/2012 10:42:32 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata

Just finished Case files 5 and wondering where to go. Will probably pick up The Pit and America next but after that I'm stumped.

Thinking about Case files 2.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Dredd-Complete-Case-Files/dp/1904265839/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1341937868&sr=1-2

I loved Case files 5, not only Block Mania and The Apocalypse War but also the minor stories and Judge Death Lives.

Case Files 2 is great, it has The Cursed Earth saga and The Day The Law Died. Case Files 4 has The Judge Child Quest which I'm personally a big fan of. Case Files 9 and 10 has some fantastic shorter stories, many of which are my favourite Dredds ever.

If you're looking for more modern Dredd then I'd recommend America (which is having a new edition printed soon!), The Pit and Tour of Duty.

Great Dredd blog here: http://dreddreviews.blogspot.ca/ He's reviewing every chronological Dredd release that's out there!

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 93
RE: The 2000AD signing events - 31/8/2012 12:00:45 PM   
Invader_Ace

Haven't got the details to hand, but a heads up for anyone in Manchester and Leeds.

Travelling Man have a 2000AD Signing Event on tomorrow.

Post #: 94
RE: The 2000AD signing events - 17/9/2012 6:22:13 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Spent the whole evening scouring all the newsagents looking for this months edition of Judge Dredd Megazine but to no avail! I am so fucking pissed off tight now.

I need to get a copy no matter what!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 17/9/2012 6:51:57 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 95
RE: The 2000AD signing events - 17/9/2012 9:07:26 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Spent the whole evening scouring all the newsagents looking for this months edition of Judge Dredd Megazine but to no avail! I am so fucking pissed off tight now.

Maybe it's selling particularly well because of the film? It's usually well-stocked in newsagents. (By the way, it's not always stocked with the other comics/2000AD, every once in a while I've seen it closer to the lads mags/film magazines for some reason!)

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 96
RE: The 2000AD signing events - 18/9/2012 12:24:49 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Maybe it's selling particularly well because of the film? It's usually well-stocked in newsagents. (By the way, it's not always stocked with the other comics/2000AD, every once in a while I've seen it closer to the lads mags/film magazines for some reason!)

I know! Trust me furry - I was looking everywhere even the 'top shelf' (and getting a few disdainful glances from customers in the prrocess!)

I think i'll pop down to W.H Smith's tomorrow - i'm bound to find a copy there! Fingers crossed...

Post #: 97
RE: The 2000AD signing events - 18/9/2012 3:56:19 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Thank god! I finally managed to nab a copy of the new issue of Judge Dredd Megazine! I also bought the last issue of 2000AD while I was at it too!

I cannot wait to tuck in!

Post #: 98
RE: The 2000AD signing events - 18/9/2012 6:54:03 PM   
furrybastard

What is Simon Bisley up to with that 2000AD cover?!

Hope you enjoy them, Nexus. 2000AD sometimes takes a couple of issues to adjust to its rhythm (6 pages of story per week) but I really do think it's an essential read for comic fans of all stripes. It's got so much artistic variety and all kinds of different types of story, from horror to sci-fi to action. And the odd batshit thing thrown in for good measure (Zaucer of Zilk!) Not sure what stories are in there currently as I can't get 2000AD over here, just saving them all up for when I get back!

Post #: 99
RE: The 2000AD signing events - 18/9/2012 8:01:40 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Yeah, looking forward too reading them mate. You're absolutely right about the pages numbers, there's not much meat on them! But I bought this issue for the artwork, because the first two stories look superb. The stories (for 2000AD) are as follows;

1. JUDGE DREDD: THE DEATH OF DAN-E CANNON (BY CHRIS WESTON)
2. BRASS SUN: THE WHEEL OF WORLDS PART ONE (BY IAN EDGINGTON & I.N.J CULBARD)
3. ABC WARRIORS: RETURN TO EARTH (BY PAT MILLS & CLINT LANGLEY)
4. GREY AREA: THIS ISLAND EARTH (BY DAN ABNETT & CARL RICHARDSON)

The first story looks superb. Love Christ Weston's art.

Post #: 100
RE: The 2000AD signing events - 18/9/2012 8:30:53 PM   
furrybastard

Ian Edginton's series are always good fun too! That's the same creative team behind Vertigo's The New Deadwardians which I've been really enjoying recently. Weston's art is truly fanstastic. ABC Warriors is a bit of a marmite strip in recent years; I'm not a big fan of Langley's art. There's usually five stories per prog so presuming something else is starting up next week?

Oh and you'll be surprised just how much they pack into those six pages. Not a lot of Marvel/DC style decompressed storytelling in 2000AD; they use that space well!

Post #: 101
RE: The 2000AD signing events - 18/9/2012 9:22:56 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

Ian Edginton's series are always good fun too! That's the same creative team behind Vertigo's The New Deadwardians which I've been really enjoying recently. Weston's art is truly fanstastic. ABC Warriors is a bit of a marmite strip in recent years; I'm not a big fan of Langley's art. There's usually five stories per prog so presuming something else is starting up next week?

Oh and you'll be surprised just how much they pack into those six pages. Not a lot of Marvel/DC style decompressed storytelling in 2000AD; they use that space well!

I know - I love how much detail is compressed into a single panel! Thats one of the reasons reading Judge Dredd is such a joy. There's an amazing art on the back cover of 2000AD, Chris Weston's tribute to Brian Bolland's famous piece. I just love the detail in Weston's drawing.

I have to say that there's a lot of reading material for me to get through, especially on Judge Dredd Megazine - this issue is so awesome!

Post #: 102
RE: The 2000AD signing events - 22/9/2012 12:22:55 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just picked this up yesterday (PROG 1801). I'm really pissed off because none of my local newsagents stock 2000AD, and I have to walk near a kilometre to pick it from my closest W.H Smith's which is in Liverpool Street. I asked my local newsagents why they don't stock it ''no one buys it'' was his response. You'd think a BRITISH comic would be more easier to find. Instead you'll find all the American crap with no problem. I stopped buying single issue trades a long time ago and promised to buy trades, as its less time consuming, money consuming etc. But here I am, finding myself hooked again on a weekly comic!

One problem I had with this issue was the cover was so poor in quality - paper wise. Prog. 1800 had a nice, rather firm cover - maybe it was to bring newbies or former readers back into the fold? It seems that way. And now they've gone back to this poor quality format - its no more different than the Co-operative/ Sainsbury's leaflet you get posted through the letterbox!

Also, the first story in this issue - the artwork looks fucked up, like it was very badly printed. The line definition and artwork looks like it was zoomed into and lost all detail! What the hell is up with that? Other than those gripes, its been an entertaining read thus far. I have to say it was Ian Edginton's Brass Sun' storyline from the previous issue which has got me coming back for more. Its absolutely superb complemented by Culbard's amazing artwork. I cannot praise it highly enough.

EDIT: nice wrap around cover for this issue though

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 22/9/2012 12:26:02 PM >

Post #: 103
RE: The 2000AD signing events - 23/9/2012 9:54:51 PM   
indysgill

The first story art work is the same for me, shame no one spotted that at the printers.

They only seem to do the firmer covers for the mile stone issues now, 1700, 1750, 1800 etc.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

Post #: 104
RE: The 2000AD signing events - 25/9/2012 12:48:17 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysgill

The first story art work is the same for me, shame no one spotted that at the printers.

They only seem to do the firmer covers for the mile stone issues now, 1700, 1750, 1800 etc.

Thanks for the info Indysgill! As for the printing error, I checked out the 2000AD forum, and it seems everyone had the same problem. Hopefully this'll be the last and only time this happens.

Other then that, its been a top read! And i've still to go through my Megazine stuff!

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 105
RE: The 2000AD signing events - 14/11/2012 8:28:51 PM   
sanchia

The most recent issue. I like the way that as things are proceeding all the stories set in the big Meg are starting to converge. It is a nice touch.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 106
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 28/11/2012 4:06:20 PM   
manwihtheplan

I've been reading 2000AD since 1983 - and got all the progs before that date. Have to admit, I find the current Judge Dredd story, The Cold Deck, a bit humdrum. In all honesty I think Judge Dredd has run its course. Day of Chaos was the ideal story to kill off Judge Dredd. The thing I don't like is there's been little mention of all the dead cits, how the living are coping. There's been little sense of the true devastation caused by the chaos bug. We've gone from Wagner's classic 'Sovs Revenge' story to a mad rogue Judge wants to take over Justice Dept.

As mentioned over on the 2000AD forum, the storyline was done decades ago with the Judge Cal storyline and that had more wit and invention. Al Ewing even copied the Cal storyline's use of sleep machines to brainwash the judges! A total copy. This is mentioned in this week's episode. And in this week's prog we get the same old cliché - Dredd shot to death, check out the huge exit wounds (!) but still alive. It was brilliant when Wagner did it with Nadia in the early parts of Day of Chaos. There was a real sense of impending doom facing the city and Wagner had Nadia slice Dredd's throat open (which made a nice change from a bullet) and looked credible, but to have it done again - a few months later - with huge exit wounds seems a bit derivative and sort of Marvel/DC-ish. "Oh look, Judge Dredd is shot and dead!" "Er... no he isn't!"

Whatever.

Most non-Wagner Judge Dredds seem mired in fan fiction land. Notice how we have the son of Kazan, how about a Klegg, how about the nightmare gun, how about some crazy Judge out to take over the city and Justice Dept, how about just copying Cal's plan to take over the city! It's just a rehash of old classic Wagner/Grant material. I love Judge Dredd, my all-time favourite strip but it's run its course, there are no new stories to tell. Judge Dredd feels tired, like it's just repeating itself. Al Ewing cannot reinvent the Judge Dredd wheel because the journey has been told, the wheel isn't needed anymore, the wheel has stopped.

It would be nice when John Wagner retires from writing 2000AD strips he can end the Judge Dredd saga. It will never happen, Rebellion will milk Judge Dredd forever, so we're gonna have endless fan-fiction type reboots of Judge Dredd's world. I think Judge Dredd deserves closure. The recent Dredd 3D film didn't do well so there's no incentive to keep the strip going.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 28/11/2012 4:56:53 PM >

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 107
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 28/11/2012 5:21:23 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: manwihtheplan

I love Judge Dredd, my all-time favourite strip but it's run its course, there are no new stories to tell. Judge Dredd feels tired, like it's just repeating itself. Al Ewing cannot reinvent the Judge Dredd wheel because the journey has been told, the wheel isn't needed anymore, the wheel has stopped. It would be nice when John Wagner retires from writing 2000AD strips he can end the Judge Dredd saga. It will never happen

Three months ago you were absolutely loving each weekly installment of Wagner's Day of Chaos and calling it the best epic ever - now the strip's finished? My own interest in Dredd will dissipate when Wagner hands in his typewriter, since it's the fact Dredd is such a distinctly authored piece which separates it from the standard Marvel and DC comic fare, for me.

The entire 35 year series is essentially an enormous novel, written mostly by one man and a surprisingly small group of key artists. Everything from Dredd's aging in real time to the remarkably consistent depiction of his anti-heroic nature is down to having one man's hand at the tiller all these years, meaning Dredd's never suffered the indignities heaped upon other company-owned characters: no reboots, no memory losses, no death/resurrections, no reimagining.

Maybe all that will change when Wagner decides to spend more time on his alpaca farm, but he'll be back with another six month-long epic next year and there's another four years till he reaches official retirement age - and there's no reason he can't keep on hammering out classics like Day of Chaos and Tour of Duty for years yet if he chooses to do so.

In the meantime, the last few months of 2000ad have seen one of the strongest line-ups of strips I can remember in the comic's history, featuring the best array of artists I've ever enjoyed, and all the strips are combining next week in a single story issue (a first for the 2000ad) for the culmination of a storyline that has had fans frothing at the mouth with anticipation.

(in reply to manwihtheplan)
Post #: 108
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 28/11/2012 7:34:30 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sauchieboy

quote:

I love Judge Dredd, my all-time favourite strip but it's run its course, there are no new stories to tell. Judge Dredd feels tired, like it's just repeating itself. Al Ewing cannot reinvent the Judge Dredd wheel because the journey has been told, the wheel isn't needed anymore, the wheel has stopped. It would be nice when John Wagner retires from writing 2000AD strips he can end the Judge Dredd saga. It will never happen

Three months ago you were absolutely loving each weekly installment of Wagner's Day of Chaos and calling it the best epic ever - now the strip's finished? My own interest in Dredd will dissipate when Wagner hands in his typewriter, since it's the fact Dredd is such a distinctly authored piece which separates it from the standard Marvel and DC comic fare, for me.

The entire 35 year series is essentially an enormous novel, written mostly by one man and a surprisingly small group of key artists. Everything from Dredd's aging in real time to the remarkably consistent depiction of his anti-heroic nature is down to having one man's hand at the tiller all these years, meaning Dredd's never suffered the indignities heaped upon other company-owned characters: no reboots, no memory losses, no death/resurrections, no reimagining.

Maybe all that will change when Wagner decides to spend more time on his alpaca farm, but he'll be back with another six month-long epic next year and there's another four years till he reaches official retirement age - and there's no reason he can't keep on hammering out classics like Day of Chaos and Tour of Duty for years yet if he chooses to do so.

In the meantime, the last few months of 2000ad have seen one of the strongest line-ups of strips I can remember in the comic's history, featuring the best array of artists I've ever enjoyed, and all the strips are combining next week in a single story issue (a first for the 2000ad) for the culmination of a storyline that has had fans frothing at the mouth with anticipation.

I agree with Sauchie - the recent strips in the Prog have been top class. And i have to disagree with you manwithaplan, i think Cold Deck is superb!

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 109
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 28/11/2012 9:12:34 PM   
manwihtheplan

Sauchie... if you remember I did claim you were you-know-who but putting that to one side I feel the future for the Judge Dredd strip is rather grim. John Wagner is in his 60s and writing less and less Judge Dredd. Alan Grant writes even less Judge Dredd and his work on the character is less complex than Wagner's approach. I can't see anything to look forward to with the likes of Mr Ewing, Mr Carroll, Mr Rennie and whoever else appears, continuing the legend of Judge Dredd.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting these writers are not talented, I like much of their non-Dredd work. I loved the Zaucer of Zilk, one of my favourite 2000AD strips of the year but when these writers write Judge Dredd it doesn't feel right. I feel my dislike of their work is increased because John Wagner didn't do the first Day of Chaos 'aftermath' stories. I can understand why he doesn't want to write as much as he used to but it would have been nice had Tharg said "we won't publish any Judge Dredd stories in 2000AD until Wagner does the official aftermath story." I wanted to see how the cits - the ones that survived the horrific chaos bug - were coping, how the city was coping. We haven't see any of it. Ewing used the post-Day of Chaos 'world' to do a conventional rogue divisional judge out to take over Justice Dept. Heck, he even copied Wagner's Cal sleep machine plot device. Well if you're gonna steal... ahem... "borrow" then take it from a classic Judge Dredd strip! At least he took it from a classic story and not a Garth Ennis Dredd.

I would like to see what's happened to the cadets, the Academy of Law, Total War and the other terrorist groups. Dredd and the other Judges would like to track down the terrorists? Bring them to justice - Mega-City 1 style? I think so. Wagner doesn't have to go this route, of course, he can do what he likes but some official follow-up to Day of Chaos would be welcome. John Wagner has been writing a serious Judge Death story with Greg Staples providing the artwork. I think it's due in 2013 so that's something to look forward to.

I can't see much future for Judge Dredd long term. I do believe all the classic Judge Dredd stories have been told, well, perhaps the one exception being Dredd going to the penal colony on Titan to apprehend a killer. Dredd helping bent Judges on Titan. That's never been done and could be interesting. But aside from that I reckon most Dredd stories have been told. Dredd has saved MC-1 (or not saved it - see Day of Chaos!) enough times and even with the huge death count from DoC it doesn't look it's had a major effect on the world. Dredd has been shot, stabbed, blown up, even been forced to listen to Susan Boyles greatest hits album and he always recovers. He is immortal even if John Wagner never wanted him to be that way.

The one sadness about the continuing saga of Judge Dredd is one day John Wagner will retire and other writers will continue the exploits of our favourite lantern jawed mega-cop and some of the stories will be good/excellent, some will be okay and some will be a bit rubbish but they will never be John Wagner's Judge Dredd. I do feel future Judge Dredd is like future Star Wars. The next Star Wars trilogy is never going to have the same magical appeal as the original trilogy and no amount of future Judge Dredd stories written by whoever Tharg chains to a writing desk will have the same magic as your favourite Wagner (and Wagner/Grant) stories. Those stories are part of your earlier life, those stories created the legend. Al Ewing and others can never create the legend, all they can do is continue it. But it will never have that unique freshness.

quote:

Maybe all that will change when Wagner decides to spend more time on his alpaca farm, but he'll be back with another six month-long epic

Hmm, I think he's revealed himself again!!!!! Six months epic? Hmm... is this an exclusive? Sauchieboy is John Wagner* or someone with very close links to 2000AD. And that is all I will say just in case Empire mods tell me off for mentioning people's names. I got told off for doing that. Oops.

*It's him, I think.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 28/11/2012 9:30:08 PM >

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 110
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 28/11/2012 9:36:42 PM   
manwihtheplan

Sauchie... can I ask one question. Assuming you're someone with a bit of insider information...

Is John Wagner's next Judge Dredd epic a direct follow-on from Day of Chaos or a new unrelated storyline?

Thanks.

Post #: 111
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 28/11/2012 10:23:18 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

Sauchie... can I ask one question. Assuming you're someone with a bit of insider information ... Is John Wagner's next Judge Dredd epic a direct follow-on from Day of Chaos or a new unrelated storyline?

Sorry, neebs. I don't know any more than you do, except that the Judge Death story you mention will run as a strip in its own right, rather than as part of the main Judge Dredd strip - meaning Wagner's still due us another long-running Dredd story next year. Good news.

Post #: 112
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 1/12/2012 8:29:05 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

It would be nice when John Wagner retires from writing 2000AD strips he can end the Judge Dredd saga. It will never happen, Rebellion will milk Judge Dredd forever, so we're gonna have endless fan-fiction type reboots of Judge Dredd's world. I think Judge Dredd deserves closure. The recent Dredd 3D film didn't do well so there's no incentive to keep the strip going.

This is a ridiculous - not to mention insulting - thing to say. The comic does not and has never existed solely as fodder for film adaptations. The first film flopped and that didn't stop the strip being brilliant, nor will the second film. They're entirely different things. While the film flopped, it went pretty well for the character with sales of the Case Files trades going through the roof in the US and a new, more appreciative focus on the character from the comics world.

quote:

Hmm, I think he's revealed himself again!!!!! Six months epic? Hmm... is this an exclusive? Sauchieboy is John Wagner* or someone with very close links to 2000AD. And that is all I will say just in case Empire mods tell me off for mentioning people's names. I got told off for doing that. Oops.

*It's him, I think.

Weren't you banned from this forum before? All of your aliases? Dreddhead123 etc.

Post #: 113
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 1/12/2012 8:40:28 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Sauchie is John Wagner? Yeah right. And i'm Carlos Ezquerra.

Post #: 114
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 4/12/2012 9:48:12 PM   
films_are_for_geeks

I would like to echo an earlier comment about the current Judge Dredd mini-epic. Having read the last part in Prog 1812.... what a load of fan fiction-type nonsense. It felt like some spoof of Judge Dredd with Jack Point, Dirty Frank, Galen Demarco (!), the Rapture creature and the proverbial Mega-City 1 kitchen sink thrown into the mix. What a load of tosh. Nice artwork by Carl Critchlow, though. The second and third page double spread is gorgeous.

To me, at least, Cold Deck (and the associated link-stories) is the worst Judge Dredd mini-epic since Garth Ennis' pastiche/homage Helter Skelter. I'm counting the days/weeks until the REAL Judge Dredd returns. Ya know, the one written by John Wagner. Al Ewing and the rest should leave Judge Dredd alone. This story was embarrassing compared to the gravitas and scale of Day of Chaos. Loads of fans over on the 2K board are raving about this "the best Dredd story ever blah blah blah." They must have the memories of a cursed earth goldfish - gloop!

< Message edited by films_are_for_geeks -- 4/12/2012 9:51:22 PM >

Post #: 115
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 5/12/2012 1:43:28 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: films_are_for_geeks

I would like to echo an earlier comment about the current Judge Dredd mini-epic. Having read the last part in Prog 1812.... what a load of fan fiction-type nonsense. It felt like some spoof of Judge Dredd with Jack Point, Dirty Frank, Galen Demarco (!), the Rapture creature and the proverbial Mega-City 1 kitchen sink thrown into the mix. What a load of tosh. Nice artwork by Carl Critchlow, though. The second and third page double spread is gorgeous.

To me, at least, Cold Deck (and the associated link-stories) is the worst Judge Dredd mini-epic since Garth Ennis' pastiche/homage Helter Skelter. I'm counting the days/weeks until the REAL Judge Dredd returns. Ya know, the one written by John Wagner. Al Ewing and the rest should leave Judge Dredd alone. This story was embarrassing compared to the gravitas and scale of Day of Chaos. Loads of fans over on the 2K board are raving about this "the best Dredd story ever blah blah blah." They must have the memories of a cursed earth goldfish - gloop!

Its not the best story ever in fact it took me a couple of Progs to really get into it, but its still a worthy effort in my opinion. Out of the three interconnecting strips Cold Deck and Low Life have been really fun to read. However Simping Detective just isn't my cup of tea unfortunately. I've yet to read Prog 1812 so it'll be interesting to see how it all comes to a head.

(in reply to films_are_for_geeks)
Post #: 116
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 5/12/2012 4:34:56 PM   
films_are_for_geeks

Reads like some fan fiction type story. Bad fan fiction. I think it's terrible. Basically you got a shark man fighting a guy with a beard, a clown making self-indulgent babble and being helped by a Rapture alien - (Simon Spurrier's dialogue is full of made up nonsensical words; his first person narrative style is tedious and self-reverential) - you got Galen Demarco appearing for no obvious reason, you got some 'major character' black-ops guy who's never been seen before in the 35 year history of Dredd, and lots of fighting and stuff, and Dredd's huge exit wound injuries having no detrimental effect on him.

Yep, a load of tosh.

I have no doubt that when John Wagner retires from Judge Dredd the character will be ruined by other writers. Cold Deck/Trifecta is a perfect example. Just my opinion, of course.

< Message edited by films_are_for_geeks -- 5/12/2012 4:54:21 PM >

Post #: 117
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 5/12/2012 4:54:13 PM   
sanchia

Dredd's wounds appeared to have the effect that he spent most of the issue either lying down or having to lean against things to keep him upright? The simping thing was weak but i get the impression you have never read lowlife or understand the character of Dirty Frank as you don't appear to understand that weird stuff like fighting a shark headed bloke is unsurprising in the context of that character. That said a bit anti-climactic in terms that everything ended rather too quickly.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 118
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 5/12/2012 5:13:18 PM   
films_are_for_geeks

I do like Lowlife although I thought the last story - the one where he went to Hondo-Cit and found Aimee Nixon working for the Yakuza - felt like a natural conclusion of the saga.

I suppose merging three distinct Dredd-world strips together can come across a bit self-indulgent and gimmicky. Another thing is the timing of the story. Day of Chaos was a very grim story, but Cold Deck felt a bit more upbeat: "and then the heroes arrived and kicked ass and all was right with the world." Tonally, it doesn't fit in with the current Dredd world timeline. Had John Wagner written a few follow-ups after DoC, Al Ewing could have had more freedom to write this more frothy storyline.

John Wagner doesn't write as much Dredd as he used to and there may be a finite amount of DoC follow-ups. We know the city will recover, the population will grow again, but at the moment I don't think we've had the definitive follow-up story. But that doesn't matter that much. MC-1 always recovers from disasters but it would be nice to see a bit more from the cits perspective, how they are coping (well, the ones that are still alive!).

< Message edited by films_are_for_geeks -- 5/12/2012 5:15:27 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 119
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 7/12/2012 11:14:00 AM   
films_are_for_geeks

quote:

I suppose merging three distinct Dredd-world strips together can come across a bit self-indulgent and gimmicky.

Regarding its gimmicky tone, the writers had Jack Point say

quote:

"...who inna hells gonna mess with us?"

It's dialogue from the final panel of Garth Ennis' Judgement Day.

http://www.strangekidsclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/dredd-stronium-dog.png

Sure, you can say it's an "affectionate homage" - on the other hand, you can say "it's cheesy!" The sort of fan fiction stuff a geeky fan would write.

The problem non-Wagner writing droids have it so make their material seem fresh and non-derivative. The scenario is a catch 22 because writers (such as Al Ewing, Mike Carroll) don't want to copy Wagner's style but if they move too far away from Wagner's style it doesn't feel right. IMHO Alan Grant is the only Judge Dredd writer to have his own style but it mimics the basic approach Wagner established back in the early days of writing Judge Dredd: Judge Dredd as a fairly one dimensional Judge. If you read Alan Grant's current Judge Dredd story in the JD Megazine - Ratfink's Revenge - it reads like a Judge Dredd strip from the 1980s. It doesn't try to be too complex, it doesn't have self-indulgent dialogue (99 percent of Si Spurrier's work is self-indulgent and self-aware). I preferred Ratfink's Revenge to Cold Deck/Trifecta. I'm guessing most fans prefer Cold Deck/Trifecta.

< Message edited by films_are_for_geeks -- 7/12/2012 11:19:47 AM >

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI