Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 17/8/2007 10:09:56 AM   
BigKovacs

Buttonman was an awesome series, brilliant pacing, plot and Ransons art is amazing, the 60's feel to it make the story seem so...authentic. It was a ncie contrast to the (equally brilliant) artwork of 2000AD. I still dont get on with periodicles that much so I'll be gunning for a Volume if there is one.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 61
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 11/10/2007 5:53:13 PM   
=JD=

I've just recently got into comics/graphic novels, and begun to read (and like...a lot) Judge Dredd.

I thought issue 2 of 2000AD would be a good place to start. However, Dredd seems very immature in these issues.

So I've started reading from issue 61 and the Cursed Earth storyline........which seems like the good stuff!

Anyway, what I was interested in is where a good place for a complete Dredd newbie such as myself should start???? The comics I've read so far have been done using the joys of the internet and I would much rather physically have these comics.

The case files look like pretty good value for money (with the exception of volume 1) at 10 a pop.

However, buying these would mean I bought them all (for the inner completist).

Also, Judge Dredd: Origins looks pretty cracking

So, should I start with the complete case files: volume 2, or Origins??????

Strokey chin moment!

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 62
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 11/10/2007 6:51:03 PM   
furrybastard

Start with the Case Files. They reprint every Dredd story from 2000 AD chronologically.  The first book is okay but more interesting as a means of seeing the different interpretations of Dredd. There's some of the inherent grittiness of the character present but also a lot of crazy, wild science fiction, fantasy and humour elements which in later years were either toned down, omitted completely or refined by Wagner. 

Starting with Book 2 is a good idea: it's essentially two 'mega-epics'; the first is The Cursed Earth and the second The Day the Law Died. Each volume is about 300-400 pages so it's great value for money and a lot more pleasurable to read than on a computer monitor.  I'd recommend picking up the first volume at some point, if just to see all the different paths they tried with the character.  There are a few decent stories in there but it's not one I'd recommend to someone trying to get into Dredd.

Origins in good but it wouldn't be as effective if you're not familiar with Wagner's lengthy continuity.  The essential Dredd story - and it's the one considered by Wagner to be the definitive representation of Dredd - is America. I think there's a new printing of that coming out soon. One of my favourite comics of all time.

(in reply to =JD=)
Post #: 63
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 11/10/2007 7:50:46 PM   
=JD=

After much deliberation, I'm gonna buy Book 2 and go from there. Have read a little bit of Origins and it looks great....so tempted to buy that too, although not sure how much backstory you need before it? Would assume not much considering it is the back story.  

And I've heard very good things about America, but it doesn't look like its available for a decent price right now.

Sooooooo

It shall be mine!

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 64
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 21/10/2007 11:20:34 PM   
indysgill

I have every book of those case files, some of the later ones have some great stories in. Just cant remember how long it is supposed to run for, i did hear it could be about 13 issues.

Cant wait for a America reprint, i meat to get that first time it was out, havent had a chance.

Looking back at Progs 1558-1559 (newsagent didnt get 1558 til later, so i got both together ) Things i found....

• Caballistics Inc - ended far to quickly, i wish that finale had been longer.
  • Stone Island and ABC Warriors - great, love the art on both. Stone Island was very funny/shocking in places.
  • Button Man - Was shocked when Ranson didnt return, but Frazer Irving makes it his own. Cant really see how its all going to pan out.
  • Mandroid - dont know if anyone else read the first story, but this does not seem as good. I really felt for Nate in the first, here its more meh.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to =JD=)
Post #: 65
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 23/10/2007 7:25:10 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysgill

I have every book of those case files, some of the later ones have some great stories in. Just cant remember how long it is supposed to run for, i did hear it could be about 13 issues.

Cant wait for a America reprint, i meat to get that first time it was out, havent had a chance.

Looking back at Progs 1558-1559 (newsagent didnt get 1558 til later, so i got both together ) Things i found....
  • Caballistics Inc - ended far to quickly, i wish that finale had been longer.
  • Stone Island and ABC Warriors - great, love the art on both. Stone Island was very funny/shocking in places.
  • Button Man - Was shocked when Ranson didnt return, but Frazer Irving makes it his own. Cant really see how its all going to pan out.
  • Mandroid - dont know if anyone else read the first story, but this does not seem as good. I really felt for Nate in the first, here its more meh.

I have to agree, Caballistics Inc (which admittedly has been going downhill for quite a while) did feel that the ending was just tagged on was too compressed.  Stone Island has been good which considering that I didn't really like the first installment has been a surprise.  Button Man isn't impressing me this time.  The last three installments with their 1970's setting, strong storylines and stunning artwork have been some of my favourite storys, this one has decent enough artwork but the plot just seems exceptionally weak and the characters ill defined.  Mandroid is ok but lacks the heart and poiniency of the original story and very little has actually occured so far, or at least that is how it feels.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 66
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 23/10/2007 9:15:30 PM   
indysgill

I think Button Man 1 -3 were set in the present day not the 70's, thats what my hardback of part 1 says. ''Thirty Seconds in the future'

Another thing about Stone Island was the character of Harry, he has a wonderful way of talking.
Didnt like the cock shots in the last few panels, they were distracting.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 67
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 23/10/2007 10:15:02 PM   
sanchia

You have to admit Button Man 1-3 had a 70's vibe going on (although Ranson does tend to give that to most of his work) which did provide the 70's setting in my mind with the clothing, cars, fashion and furniture all having a 70's feel to them. 

Got to agree with you with regards to final frames of Stone Island which was a bit willie orientated.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 23/10/2007 10:16:42 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 68
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 23/10/2007 10:32:06 PM   
indysgill

Yeah, just looking at the hardback and seeing Harry Ex's friend Carl in his big sheepskin coat and E-Type Jag. I see what you mean. 

Was looking for a pic to show here, but could not find one. Instead found this on Imdb for Button Man.
Film adaptation Movie rights are owned by Dreamworks, which has co-opted the producers of Wagner's A History of Violence. The film is due for release in 2008.[1]

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 69
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 23/10/2007 10:58:15 PM   
furrybastard

Yup, that was announced almost right after A History of Violence. I think Cronenberg was interested for a while too but not sure if he's involved anymore.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 70
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 23/10/2007 11:27:22 PM   
kenada_woo

Hey, just noticed this thread hehe.

I was a huge Dredd fan back in 91 till about 94-95, I even enjoyed the film (scorne to Dredd fan boys I know) .  I have about every Prog during those years being that I used to pop round the local newsagent who got it in.  But when we moved house I couldnt get hold of a copy for ages and missed out on lots before just giving up buying weekly comics all together.

Like mentioned before in earlier posts I'm also a huge fan of Carlos Ezquerra's art work.  Anyone read Purgatory?  There's that one and one I cant remember the name of where Dredd goes to fuck up an Egyptian mummy thing that eats people (really good stuff) that stick in my mind as stories I liked from those years.

But I personally liked all of Grant Morrison and Mark Miller's stuff, who pretty much brought 2000AD back to life IMO before fucking off to write for Marvel and DC.  Personal fav?  BIG DAVE.  Anyone remeber him?  By all accounts its the most complained about strip they put in 2000AD so it didnt last long.

But yeah, I remember Button Man was really well done - but didnt always get shot?  Bit of a flesh wound most of the time but I always remember him getting either his shoulder/leg/arm shot.  But they always showed him bandged up or taking care of his wounds which I liked.  Others favs were Slaine, Strotium Dog, ABC Warriors, Durham Red (the vampy one).

But yeah, I've read a couple of Prog's over the past years since but not many.   Last one was a Megazine and it werent great - had Dredd sorting out a fart gass in the city, bit shit.

Funny tit-bit.   My uncle was the artist on the JUDGE DREDD YEARBOOK 1995 on Calhab Justice: The Mega-Cup.  He worked mainly on Dan Dare - http://www.downthetubes.net/features/comics/spaceship_away.html

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 71
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 23/10/2007 11:45:01 PM   
indysgill

Oooooh!

I remember Big Dave that made me laugh. Especially the World Cup one, where Nelson Mandela on the bongos helped Dave get some zombie footballer to help the england team defeat the germans. Hitler was invloved some how too!

That Dredd V Mummy one was the where i started my collection, almost 12 years ago!!, it was drawn/painted by Dermot Power who also did the art for the Dredd movie, it was brilliant. Must dig it out again and have a read.

Durham Red was great too, got confusing in the last few books, but the artist Mark Harrison can draw the ladies He also did the 10-Seconders, which is a humans v alien gods story, 2nd part is due soon. The bit everyone remembers from that is where a human starts a fight with an alien with the words 'Oi Twat!'

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 72
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 24/10/2007 12:04:43 AM   
kenada_woo

quote:

Oooooh!

I remember Big Dave that made me laugh. Especially the World Cup one, where Nelson Mandela on the bongos helped Dave get some zombie footballer to help the england team defeat the germans. Hitler was invloved some how too!

That Dredd V Mummy one was the where i started my collection, almost 12 years ago!!, it was drawn/painted by Dermot Power who also did the art for the Dredd movie, it was brilliant. Must dig it out again and have a read.

Durham Red was great too, got confusing in the last few books, but the artist Mark Harrison can draw the ladies He also did the 10-Seconders, which is a humans v alien gods story, 2nd part is due soon. The bit everyone remembers from that is where a human starts a fight with an alien with the words 'Oi Twat!'

Who did it first though?  Red Dwarf or 10 Seconders?  hehe its still funny though.

Big Dave is brilliant!  The footballer they resurrect is in fact Bobby Moore, and the rest of the England team are all cripples from the special school Dave has a mate at.  Pure comedy gold.

But they only did about 3 Progs I think, not to sure.  I remember it starting out black and white when Dave had to go to Parliment because PostMan Pat didnt give him his Giro (added bouns of Jess the Cat getting eaten by his dogs).  Then after he met Prince Charles etc the next Prog had turned Colour and they were off to Germany to win the world cup? 

A lot of readers got upset because he kept calling people "Puffs"

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 73
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 28/10/2007 9:46:59 AM   
presterjohn

I used to read 2000AD when it first came out and stuck with it for around 6 years or so. I have recently started buying the new case files books and I am really enjoying revisiting these old stories. I presume these Black and White reprint books will stop when Dredd went colour in 2000AD.  Does anyone know when that is? The Strontium Dog books have been pretty good to. I would abe well impressed if Rogue Trooper and the ABC Warriors made it to this new bumper format too.

Best thing about these books of course is at five pages long each weekly bit of the book is an ideal toilet read :-)

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 74
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 26/11/2007 12:49:57 AM   
indysgill

I heard Dredd was supposed to end with Vol 13.

Dont quote me on that.
I was working it out and if they are doing a book per year, and a Dredd year is about a realtime year, then it should finish with stories from early 1990.
Thing is im sure its colour well before that.

(in reply to presterjohn)
Post #: 75
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 26/11/2007 3:15:46 PM   
furrybastard

They had those colour splash pages for a long time but the strip was still 2/3 black and white. By 1990, it was full colour, I think.

I heard they were planning to end it around volume 10, once the strip moved to colour but perhaps the demand for them has changed their minds. Now, it looks like they're planning to stop around the time John Wagner takes a break from the strip and other writers, like Garth Ennis, take over.  Those years aren't Dredd's strongest (though I quite like some of them, probably because that's around the time I started reading) and they're mostly not considered canon by the fans or Wagner himself. Also, 1990 is when the Megazine was launched and you had two separate Dredd strips running across the comics.

Not sure how they're going to handle these things.  Ideally, I'd like them to reprint every single Dredd story in the Case Files. However, they may decide to handpick certain stories from the post-1990 period.  Maybe Wagner can choose the stories to include (from his own stuff in the Meg and the other writers' stories) and whatever he decides on can then be considered canon.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 76
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 28/11/2007 7:03:23 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

Oooooh!

Is that also known as Glimmer Rats? its out in hardback and looks nice, if a bit short.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 77
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 28/11/2007 8:03:37 PM   
furrybastard

Glimmer Rats is a different story. Same artist, though.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 78
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 16/5/2012 7:33:26 AM   
sanchia

I have to admit that I am starting to tire of the comic. The best characters have been reduced to a shadow of their former selves (SInster Dexter which has gone on far to loong and decent plots and storylines long ago forgotten). There is an obsession with nostalgia (Flesh being carried on and not in a good way) and the new stories which they are producing are not really up there. Also what the Hell is The Zaucer of Zilk rubbish they are presently vomiting out?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 79
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 18/5/2012 12:53:05 AM   
furrybastard

I'm quite enjoying Zaucer of Zilk

I think the current roster of stories is a little bit too average. Though there's a new crop just around the corner. Think in a few weeks (after Nikolai Dante finishes) we're going to be getting Dredd: Day of Chaos, Lenny Zero, Ichabod Azrael Book 2, Aquila and Grey Area in the one prog.

Dredd has been great lately. Flesh is meh, Zaucer is an *ahem* axquired taste and the rest are sort of just there. Great thing about 2000AD is that the lineup is always changing so if you're not overly fond of one batch of series, there'll be another to take its place soon enough!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 80
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 5/6/2012 7:11:03 PM   
indysgill

I have been so busy recently, that I have a 12 week backlog to start on, may have to go back to the start of the year to get my head round all of Day of Chaos.

Post #: 81
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 5/6/2012 7:36:27 PM   
sanchia

Maybe I am too cynical now but Days of Chaos does not seem as epic as past events such as Necropolis and Judgement Day. It comes across as a little bitty and not a greatly cohesive story.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 82
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 5/6/2012 10:57:27 PM   
furrybastard

I think it's a different kind of 'epic' that Wagner does now. It's not so much based around one unifying threat like Necropolis or The Apocalypse War. Ever since The Pit, these longform Dredd epics are more about putting the characters through a particular challenge.

I've moved to Canada for a year so haven't been getting my weekly 2000AD fix. Will have to wait till I get back next year before catching up. Thrill Power overload

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 83
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 6/6/2012 7:16:48 AM   
sanchia

Good luck over there.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 84
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 7/6/2012 1:39:16 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Good luck over there.

Cheers man! Settling down nicely. Comics are ridiculously expensive here but they have loads of second hand shops with fantastic deals.

No 2000AD though

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 85
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 17/6/2012 4:56:05 PM   
kata

Just picked up Dredd Case files v5. Not read much Dredd apart from a few stories when I was younger. Heard v5 contains some seminal work so thought it would be a good jumping in point before exploring further.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Dredd-Complete-Case-Files/dp/1905437080/ref=pd_sim_b_2

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

Post #: 86
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 17/6/2012 6:26:11 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata

Just picked up Dredd Case files v5. Not read much Dredd apart from a few stories when I was younger. Heard v5 contains some seminal work so thought it would be a good jumping in point before exploring further.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Dredd-Complete-Case-Files/dp/1905437080/ref=pd_sim_b_2

That'd be the volume collecting Block War and The Apocalypse War; seminal indeed!

The Case Files are great. I'd also recommend picking up America which is one of the definitive Dredd stories and is pretty much the 'start' of the modern ear of the character, followed by The Pit. The latter hasn't been collected yet in the Case Files and America is its own thing, technically it's not a JD-centred story though it's based in MC-1 and is all about the citizens vs. the Judges

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 87
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 21/6/2012 2:34:20 AM   
indysgill

I have started on my 2000ad back log and man is Day of Chaos (still on Eve of Chaos at the moment) just getting worse and worse, cant wait to see whats left once everything dies down.

Post #: 88
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 21/6/2012 7:21:57 PM   
furrybastard

Trailer for the new Dredd film here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PifvRiHVSCY

It doesn't seem to have much in the way of the comics dark humour and satirical edge but does have a bit of cheese (which the Dredd strip has happily indulged in from time to time, in fairness) and lots of violence. Looks like it could be a fun action film. Hopefully it'll lead to sequels and more 2000AD movies!

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 89
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 6/7/2012 8:09:54 PM   
indysgill

Still waiting for the proposed Rouge Trooper one, think this was mention in the magazine when the Stallone version was out.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI