Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 11/9/2006 6:55:40 PM   
furrybastard

Thing is, they had to age him. The story was always set 122 years in the future, with Dredd being a fully formed adult. If they had kept the timeline the same, it means the story is only set 70 years in the future now (as in, Dredd would have been "born" around 2070). I think its better this way as it allows the series and character to remain credible and topical but also allows them to change both the city and Dredd himself.

I think there has always been conflict in the character. There are plenty of stories that show Dredd doubting himself and the system. I don't think he ever went P.C. - he is in fact the antithesis to that. Wagner never intended Dredd to be a typical hero character - I think that just happened because he was such a loved character that the readers began seeing him as the hero and missing the fact that the whole premise is that the Judges are a bad thing despite the attraction they have for the public (law and order, a seemingly safe world, "proper" justice).

America is an important story because it's Wagner revealing the true spirit of the Judges and Mega City One. He shows you what life is like in such a world by concentrating on a pair of civilians who are trapped by such a life. I remember reading it for the first time and afterwards coming to the realisation that the Judges and Dredd are complete bastards.

Anyway that's enough of my ranting!

Oh by the way Danbo, 2000AD now comes out on a Wednesday!

Also, I'm not quite sure whether the Cursed Earth "history" of the Judges will have any relevance. That story was written by Pat Mills and Wagner has always stated that anything another writer comes up with for Dredd, he will happily dismiss if it conflicts with anything he wants to do himself. I do think that will play a part though because Mills did help with the creation of Dredd and was a contributed to the character throughout the years. I think Wagner will acknowledge that.

Or not

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 11/9/2006 7:01:28 PM >

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 31
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 11/9/2006 7:23:28 PM   
danbo1138

fair veiws..i never ment that j.dredd went p.c i ment the comic as a whole,due to maggie thatchers gov,demonising it,and dredd being the figure head taking the blunt,thus coming of worse.
i gotta admit i'm quite excited about this story,it's something that always i've wonderd about.cheers for the heads up

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 32
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 12/9/2006 12:26:56 PM   
Monkeyshaver

America was one of my favourite Dredd storylines. I also loved some of the classic stuff like the Judge Child quest & the early appearances from Judge Death & co. The Necropolis/Dead Man Story arc was brilliant, never saw that coming! Chopper & the Oz storyline was also great. Judgement Day was fun with Dredd teaming up with Johnny Alpha. The last stuff I remember reading was the Mechanismo storyline about robot judges & Inferno with Judges from the Titan prison escaping. To be honest I haven't read it in ages. Dredd did seem to be getting a bit watered down, the stories which examine his world are good but Dredd should never go soft. Its interesting when you look back at when Dredd started, 1977 the year punk broke & the ultimate fascist authority figure was created as a comic book hero!! This new story telling the origin of Dredd & his world is certainly intriguing although I hope it doesn't signal the end the character or a total reinvention of Dredd & his world. I wonder if Morton Judd will be around? The guy who had the plan to clone the citizens of mega city one. Whatever I'm going to buy my 1st issue of 2000ad for over a decade! This has really kick-started my interest in all things Dredd again!! The combination of Dredd creators John Wagner & Carlos Ezquerra is too tantalising an opportunity to miss. The design of Dredd is iconic & Ezquerra's artwork is instantly recognisable. A lot of comic book artists are very similar but there is no one with such a unique style as Ezquerra!Here's a couple examples of the artwork for the new story -   

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 33
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 12/9/2006 4:40:53 PM   
danbo1138

feel the same,my first prog for years too(agreed dredd did get waterd down,bring back ol stoney face)

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 34
Nemesis The Warlock/Strontium Dog: From The Beginning! - 14/9/2006 12:23:52 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Hot on the heels of the Judge Dredd Complete Case Files collections comes 2 more 2000AD 'from-the-beginning' collections, Nemesis The Warlock in November & Strontium Dog next January! Comic book nostalgia heaven!

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 35
RE: Nemesis The Warlock/Strontium Dog: From The Beginning! - 14/9/2006 4:33:26 PM   
danbo1138

i'm there for stront dog,all we need now is slaine and were sorted

Post #: 36
RE: Nemesis The Warlock/Strontium Dog: From The Beginning! - 14/9/2006 8:09:19 PM   
furrybastard

Glad to see this thread may have helped in bringing people back to the fold!

The period in which you stopped reading Monkeyshaver was actually a rather controversial time for Dredd. A the time, Wagner had taken a rather long hiatus from the character in 2000AD and Garth Ennis had taken over. Ennis himself admits he was never able to really grasp the character and made some mistakes, saying Necropolis got way out of hand amongst other things (apparently the marketing people wanted an "event" of the kind Marvel do). Upon Wagner's return, the series became rejuvenated and he started taking Dredd into a whole new place.

The issue is now on sale, featuring that Brian Bolland cover. There was a five part prologue of sorts in the last five issues called The Connection where a pair of muties broke into the city in posession of a mysterious box containing something still unknown. Meanwhile Dredd has some strange dreams about conversations with his "father", the first Chief Judge, Fargo.

I'll be back here to talk about Origins Part 1 once I've read it

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 37
RE: Nemesis The Warlock/Strontium Dog: From The Beginning! - 14/9/2006 8:11:24 PM   
danbo1138

i've read it.tis promising.

Post #: 38
RE: Nemesis The Warlock/Strontium Dog: From The Beginning! - 14/9/2006 8:14:20 PM   
danbo1138

and i thought bolland washed his hand's off dredd more than a decade ago?citing typecasting?

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 39
RE: Nemesis The Warlock/Strontium Dog: From The Beginning! - 14/9/2006 8:24:45 PM   
furrybastard

Bolland pretty much only does cover work nowadays. There was an interview with him in last month's Megazine; he left for the same reason as almost everyone did which was the US publishers paid a hell of a lot more money. I'm pretty sure he did a cover for 2000AD a couple of years ago (the mid-900s?). It's great that they got him back to do this one and the Tom Frame inscription was a great touch too.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 40
RE: Nemesis The Warlock/Strontium Dog: From The Beginning! - 14/9/2006 8:35:49 PM   
danbo1138

yup it was,as was the sis barret one(rip)

Post #: 41
Judge Dredd: Origins - 15/9/2006 12:20:15 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

Glad to see this thread may have helped in bringing people back to the fold!

The period in which you stopped reading Monkeyshaver was actually a rather controversial time for Dredd. A the time, Wagner had taken a rather long hiatus from the character in 2000AD and Garth Ennis had taken over. Ennis himself admits he was never able to really grasp the character and made some mistakes, saying Necropolis got way out of hand amongst other things (apparently the marketing people wanted an "event" of the kind Marvel do). Upon Wagner's return, the series became rejuvenated and he started taking Dredd into a whole new place.

The issue is now on sale, featuring that Brian Bolland cover. There was a five part prologue of sorts in the last five issues called The Connection where a pair of muties broke into the city in posession of a mysterious box containing something still unknown. Meanwhile Dredd has some strange dreams about conversations with his "father", the first Chief Judge, Fargo.

I'll be back here to talk about Origins Part 1 once I've read it

Necropolis was for me one of the best Dredd epics. I loved the way it brought in various different ideas that had been part of previous stories, like the Judda with Judge Kraken. The companion story in The Dead Man, with a final revelation I never saw coming was brilliant as well. Carlos Ezquerra's artwork was of course wonderful. I think the rot set in with Judgement Day, which was a bit too reminiscent of previous epics & lacking the black humour & ironic edge. Also the fact that, if you wanted to read it all, you had to buy the Megazine was a bit annoying. I think its common practice in the US for comics to have storylines running over different titles which seems to me little more than a way to increase sales. What was always an interesting undercurrent in Dredd, & one that I think is not used much in US comics, is that he is a character that ages, 1 year in our world corresponds with 1 year in Dredd's world. It added a sense of realism to events, Kraken being groomed as Dredd's replacement for example. I'm wondering if Origins will address this at all? On the cover it says Dredd Rides Into History. Maybe this doesn't just refer to Dredd uncovering the past but also that its his swansong? Not much to say about the 1st episode, did Fargo not go on The Long Walk? Or am I getting confused with the awful movie? Plus is that Judge Hershey as Chief Judge?

< Message edited by Monkeyshaver -- 15/9/2006 12:21:17 PM >

Post #: 42
RE: Judge Dredd: Origins - 15/9/2006 1:37:51 PM   
furrybastard

Sorry, I was referring to Judgement Day in my previous post, not Necropolis (which is excellent!)

Hershey has been Chief Judge for a while now, taking over from McGruder a couple of  years ago.

I don't think how Fargo died has ever been established - his body is stored in the Hall of Justice though. His first ever appearance was actually in a flahsback in the Oz story. Dredd's early continuty is a bit of a mess since they never expected the character to have survived so long. Origin is Wagner's way of settling his history once and for all.

Post #: 43
RE: Nemesis The Warlock/Strontium Dog: From The Beginning! - 15/9/2006 2:35:18 PM   
sanchia

quote:

Bolland pretty much only does cover work nowadays. There was an interview with him in last month's Megazine; he left for the same reason as almost everyone did which was the US publishers paid a hell of a lot more money. I'm pretty sure he did a cover for 2000AD a couple of years ago (the mid-900s?). It's great that they got him back to do this one and the Tom Frame inscription was a great touch too.

I saw some of Bolland's artwork up for sale a while ago and it went for something like £3,500.  More than Alex Ross artwork!.  No one drew Judge Anderson or Judge Death as well as him

Origins has started well with some interesting plot directions established with a great reveal of information on the last page of this issue.  Even though I was never personally a fan of Ezquerra he certainly draws a good Dredd strip.

Malone - It has a psycho clown but is still lacking something vital, such as direction.  The lead character is far too enigmatic and I don't really know what is going on.  There is slow burn and then there is no burn, this is the latter. Interesting to see it appears to be tied to Sinister Dexter.  The monochrome artwork is adequate but nothing spectacular.

Stone Island - Far more pace whilst there has not really been to much information imparted by this story it does seem to be cracking along.  The story itself is rather uninspired at the moment.  Bloke in prison for murder, other prisoners mutating into monsters and killing people, trying to get away from monsters, something as yet unexplained is weird about prison and bloke. yet this can be forgiven because there appears to be the potential for future development.  The art by Davis is decent enough although I am finding his use of grey blotches in order to shade features rather unpleasant and slapping on white to highlight seems a bit simplistic.

Banzai Battalion - This is probably the most serious storyline these characters have experienced with an apparently malfunctioning Captain Stomper waging war against the humans who own the garden.  It is developing well.  A shame Roberts artwork is so cartoony as a more realistic approach would have worked so much better with the tone of the piece.

Nikolai Dante - It is very nice to see the character getting back on form.  This is developing into a good storyline.  Reintroducing the Tsar gives me hopes that there shall be a return to the wider world in the future. The last frame is a classic example of the character at his swashbuckling best.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 15/9/2006 2:37:46 PM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 44
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 20/9/2006 4:27:38 PM   
furrybastard

I read it last night (I know, took my time eh!?) and thought it was great.

Dredd: Origins got off to a cracking start and is full of promise. Brilliant opening page too! Ezquerra's art has subtly been changing throughout the years and while it's still familiar, it's possessing a bit more depth and colour to it now. Is Fargo still alive!? Surely not... from the Nerve Centre introduction, it  sounds like this will be running for a few months at least.

Malone finally kicked up a gear. How in the hell is this connected to Sinister Dexter!? Quite a coup by the Abnett droid (I'm presuming Cal Hamilton is a pseudonym?), similar to The Dead Man from a few years back. For the first time, I'm really looking forward to the next installment.

Stone Island is good fun but nothing more. I quite like the art, a little more sprawling and non-linear than Davis usually provides.

Banzai Battallion is great stuff. I don't know whether Roberts' carotony art takes away fromt he seriousness of the script or enhances its somewhat unsettling feel! Wagner is on top form here, delivering the goods when all I expected was another fun, irreverent romp.

Nikolai Dante is back! Looks like its all about to kick off again - the return of both the Tsar and Jena Makarov! Series co-creator Simon Fraser is returning in a few issues time which I'm really looking forward to. Hopefully he will inject a little more spirit into the art. As great as Burns is, his characters can sometimes be a bit stilted for a strip that requires swashbucking heroics and adventuours feats!

For me, Prog 1505 has been one of the most enjoyable reads in a long time, full of surprises and action, great art and some of the comics' strongest writing from the Wagner droid

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 20/9/2006 5:21:39 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 45
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 20/9/2006 5:58:38 PM   
sanchia

Bit of a spoiler

Last episode of  Malone and it ends up as a cheap version of Dead Man as Furry suspected with a mind wiped main character from Sinster Dexter being revealed and a revelation of a return to Download.  A bit of a disappointment yet at the same time a hint of something to come.

End spoiler

I get the feeling that Origins is going to have quite a few subplots prior to actually getting to the meat of the story so this might be a long one.   Not a bad thing as some of the best Dredd storys have been epic.  Just out of the city and the mutants are already being disagreeable. Off the subject read America again last night and it was quality.

Stone Islands revelelation of what is going on seemed a bit anticlimatic to me.  Lots of exposition and little else. As such a bit of a slow one this week.

Banzai Battallion.  A bit of a sad end for Captain Stomper and whilst there is still scope for further adventures it severely limits the direction which could be taken.

Nikolai Dante is still running along nicely with an interesting development which makes me anticipate the next episode.

I've kept thing brief as I don't want to ruin anything for anyone who has yet to read it.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 20/9/2006 6:05:19 PM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 46
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 22/9/2006 2:39:47 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Have read the first two episodes, OK so far. Iíll probably wait until it comes out in a big graphic novel collection though. The other stories arenít up to much (hard to judge admittedly as Iím coming in at a late stage) £1.75 for 7 pages!! Surprised that they havenít given more length to Dredd per issue.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 47
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 22/9/2006 6:41:14 PM   
sanchia

You would probably have more affection for Nikolia Dante if you had the familiarity with the background of the character.  The Tsar Wars was a fine piece.  Malone is connected to another set of long running stories so another one which it is difficult to just connect with (and not the best effort although there was unreached potential).  Banzai Battalion is another which has had a few runs before.

Overall most of these stories would be quite difficult for a casual reader or one who has had a break to reconnect with so I can see where you are coming from.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 48
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 24/9/2006 6:04:16 PM   
furrybastard

I thought it was a great issue, one of the best for a while.

Origins is cracking along already at a nice pace with some great art by Ezquerra. Malone finally got good, only to end! There was something very poignant about the ending with nothing known about Dexter. Stone Island finally went down the "what the fuck is going on here?" route. It's an enjoyable read all the same. Banzai Battallion was great, as was Dante.

As for the Meg, the first part of America: Cadet was excellent but my frustrations with the mag's format still remain. The 250th issue and nothing special other than a quick mention in the introduction. I think both mags having the same editor is impacting negatively on The Meg since all the attention seems to be focused on 2000AD with The Meg now only being a monthly 2000AD Extra, as mentioned in the letters page. Six pages a month for all the stories but Dredd is a mistake. The stories themselves are suffering because of it - Fiends would be improved with a little more room to breate, Black Siddha needs to finish faster and Tales is just a glorified Future Shock. Reprinting Dredd stories from five years back is a waste of time as well.
The features are actually a good idea but not when you get bad writers on them. Do these guys even know what they're talking about? I'm already tired of these stupid lists.

All in all I see The Megazine stumbling again with only America: Cadet to break its fall. What's most frustrating is the editor doesn't even seem to acknowledge these flaws when pointed out to him in the letters page. Hopefully things will pick up in the next few months.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 49
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 24/7/2007 4:01:57 PM   
BigKovacs

Ive had a bit of a re-visit to some of the 200AD graphic novels (basically volumes of the periodicles). Im loving it too, Ive got Sliane: The Horned God and ABC Warriors: The Chrnicles of Khaos, its not just a trip of nostalgia for me either, while the stories may not set the world on fire the humour is still there in both book and the art work is jaw-dropping, all hand painted by Simon Bisley and Kev Walker respectively. Great old skool books, Im looking forward to digging some more up. Im hoping they made a Finn GN as well.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

Post #: 50
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 24/7/2007 4:12:36 PM   
furrybastard

The Khronicles of Khaos was great. The art on ABC Warriors was always something special.

I've never actually read all of SlŠine: The Horned God though I do have a few of the progs it appeared in.

I don't think there is a Finn collection. I seem to remember them reprinting all of his stories in one of those Classic 2000AD reprints a few years back. Check out their current collections here (Click).

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 51
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 24/7/2007 4:18:43 PM   
BigKovacs

Cheers mate, shame about the lack of Finn, I think he only had three series. Ive got them all in paper back but I'd be damnded if Im going to pick through all of them to get them in order. Good to see they have Shimura, Judge Dredd era story set about Japanese Judges, a great story with lovely, crisp art. I'll definately be getting that.

If you have a Forbidden Planet near you Furry I suggest you check it out, they have a sale on some 2000AD stuff at the mo, I got both Slaine and ABC Warrior volumes for £13. Absolute bargain.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

Post #: 52
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 24/7/2007 4:45:35 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

If you have a Forbidden Planet near you Furry I suggest you check it out, they have a sale on some 2000AD stuff at the mo, I got both Slaine and ABC Warrior volumes for £13. Absolute bargain.

'Fraid I don't, the nearest one is about four hours away in Dublin. I usually just try to get the back issues when I get the chance anyway though I do tend to buy the classics in collection formats, like the Ballad of Halo Jones and stuff like that. I'd really like a colleciton of The Horned God!

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 53
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 9/8/2007 4:26:40 PM   
furrybastard

So anyone else miss Prog 1548!? 

Apparently most of the shipments didn't make it to Ireland cos' of the floods. So now I'm prog-less.  I have 1549 but that's not much help, I don't want to read it until I get the missing issue! 

Post #: 54
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 9/8/2007 5:36:54 PM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

So anyone else miss Prog 1548!? 

Apparently most of the shipments didn't make it to Ireland cos' of the floods. So now I'm prog-less.  I have 1549 but that's not much help, I don't want to read it until I get the missing issue! 

Try the 2000AD website they sell back issues on there from what I remember.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

Post #: 55
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 9/8/2007 6:23:26 PM   
furrybastard

Yeah but only up to 1546! I guess I'll wait a week or two and see if it goes up on the site. 

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 56
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 9/8/2007 7:25:24 PM   
sanchia

I missed it as well.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 57
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 16/8/2007 5:26:02 PM   
furrybastard

You can now buy Prog 1548 from the 2000 AD Online Shop (Click). Just got mine there. 

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 16/8/2007 5:29:42 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 58
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 16/8/2007 5:26:56 PM   
furrybastard

Double post

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 16/8/2007 5:29:32 PM >

Post #: 59
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 16/8/2007 8:44:26 PM   
indysgill

Anyone got Prog 1550 yet?

I was having a quick look inside on the way home, ABC Warriors - Volgan War looks amazing. However the highlight for me was the back page. Caballistics Inc and Button Man return. Fuck Yeah!!!

Arthur Ranson's art is amazing.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI