Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 15/8/2006 4:47:42 PM   
furrybastard

I thought this would be a good time to start up a thread on one of the best comics around. 2000AD this week published its 1500th issue featuring two of its most popular characters and two brand new stories. The Judge Dredd Megazine is currently gearing up for its 250th issue. So anyone who wants to discuss either mag or anything related to them - this is the place!

I quite liked Prog 1500. The Connection was great and they're hyping up Judge Dredd: Origins really well (View a trailer here!). There's talk that this may be the last Dredd story ever or maybe just Wagner's last - he's said that he would finish up on Dredd by revealing his history. Kev Walker's art is always great and evokes that mean and gritty feeling so very well Along with this and Regime Change over in the Meg, it's shaping up to be one of Dredd's finest hours!

Not sure about the two new strips. Malone seemed alright but as ever, it's always hard to tell how a new series will pan out. Stone Island was pretty good though with a nice twist at the end. I like Edginton for the most part (good interview in the Meg this month) and this could turn out great.

Nikolai Dante is without a doubt one of the best things to happen to 2000AD in the last 10 years. Of late however, Morrison seems to be faltering and the latest period in Dante's life hasn't lived up to expectations (though I really enjoyed the more fun and frivolous adventures). Burns art is fantastic but the action scenes always seem stilted and lack energy. This new story looks like Morrison is wrapping things up for Dante's current situation and moving things on.

Ultimately a good prog and it will be interesting to see how this new crop of Thrills turns out. Next issue - the return of the Banzai Batallion!?

EDIT: Hello from the future!

Just wanted to edit the opening post on this thread with a link to Douglas Wolk's excellent Judge Dredd blog 'Dredd Reckoning'. For anyone who is asking 'were should I start?' with Dredd or need a chronological reference guide to the character, this is the place for you :: http://dreddreviews.blogspot.ca/2013/02/housekeeping-3-index-and-guide.html

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 12/2/2013 7:48:13 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 16/8/2006 2:00:39 PM   
Lebowski

What do you all reckon are the best Dredd stories then?

My Top 100 watched from 2006 on - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1121772&mpage=1&key=&NID=0#1159794

DVD Profiler - http://www.intervocative.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Barbapapa

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 2
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 16/8/2006 4:11:03 PM   
sanchia

I'd go for Necropolis with the preceding The Dead Man storyline.  These were probably the pinacle of Dredd in my eyes.  I will admit to never having read the Apocalypse Wars which may colour my opinion slightly as I understand that is also a very good storyline.

With regards to issue 1501.  Does anyone else think we are currently in that floating issue where a few new stories have been introduced but it is too early to really decide if they are good or not?  Malone, still developing but I like the monochrome artwork and the storyline suggests something good is developing, and that is one creepy clown.  Stone Island, another one in early days but not quite the anticipation for this one as it is a bit strange but not an appealing strange, but still potential.  Banzai Battalion, I have never really liked these characters so even though it is the first episode and they are essentially comic relief I have pretty much written them off. Nikolai Dante, it looks like the character is finally starting to get going again and about time too.  It is a while since the Tsar Wars and the character has pretty much been meanering along rather boringly ever since, but with this issue it appear that things are heating up again, I just hope it keeps going.

(Edit: due to that damn overtype mode switching on again also should have read furrys comments more closely as I have repeated a few points)

< Message edited by sanchia -- 16/8/2006 4:18:12 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Lebowski)
Post #: 3
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 17/8/2006 5:13:03 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lebowski

The Pit is great. Then there are the classics - The Day The Law Died, The Judge Child Quest, The Apocalypse War. They've been releasing TPBs covering every Dredd story since the beginning recently. They're called The Judge Dredd Case Files - I think it's up to number four or five at this stage.

There are also some great one-shots like Bury M Knee At Wounded Heart. I think the concensus is that America is the greatest Dredd story ever.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 17/8/2006 5:59:10 PM >

(in reply to Lebowski)
Post #: 4
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 17/8/2006 5:28:53 PM   
danbo1138

yeah my kinda forum,i like the old school dredd stories,apocalyps war,judge child,the fink,cursed earth the one when he went into the undercity and turned into a werewolf  classic stuff  isnt it about time a new movie was made??to erase tha travisty starring stallone??one true to the real dredd???bout time if you asked me.directed by neil marshal,fx by weta ...and keep the helmet on this time!apocalyps war would rule on the big screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

Post #: 5
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 17/8/2006 5:58:02 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

With regards to issue 1501.  Does anyone else think we are currently in that floating issue where a few new stories have been introduced but it is too early to really decide if they are good or not?  Malone, still developing but I like the monochrome artwork and the storyline suggests something good is developing, and that is one creepy clown.  Stone Island, another one in early days but not quite the anticipation for this one as it is a bit strange but not an appealing strange, but still potential.  Banzai Battalion, I have never really liked these characters so even though it is the first episode and they are essentially comic relief I have pretty much written them off. Nikolai Dante, it looks like the character is finally starting to get going again and about time too.  It is a while since the Tsar Wars and the character has pretty much been meanering along rather boringly ever since, but with this issue it appear that things are heating up again, I just hope it keeps going.

I haven't read 1501 yet so I'll come back and post my thoughts when I have. Though I agree it's a floating issue (good term!) where the stories get going and we see the direction they're heading in. I've always like Banzai Battalion - Wagner's humour is the kind I'm quite fond of - I even liked The Balls Brothers! It's always nice to have a little comic relief in 2000AD now and again and they fit the bill nicely.

Anyway I'll come back when I've read 1501!

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 6
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 21/8/2006 10:10:56 PM   
furrybastard

Yup, definitely a floating issue! Dredd was great again though its strange to see how much difference the lettering makes since Tom Frame passed away..

Malone was... interesting. I don't really see where its going and seems to be failry soap opera-ish (not necessarily a bad thing!). Stone Island is moving along nicely. The Alien-like creature breaking through the door was excellent.

I'm slightly confused by the Banzai Battalion - were they put out of action in the last series, I don't remember Roberts' art doesn't nearly match Henry Flint's work (but then, very few people could!)

Nikolai Dante was great. You're right, it's nice to see the series moving on and the glimpses into Dante's past were great. Fantastic final image too.

Post #: 7
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 22/8/2006 12:44:10 AM   
Thrillkiller

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lebowski

There are also some great one-shots like Bury M Knee At Wounded Heart. I think the concensus is that America is the greatest Dredd story ever.

Seconded. I loved this story when I first had it in the early issues of the Megazine (250th issue! No way!) and was distraught for ages that I couldn't find a collected of it. Thankfully this has now been rectified!

"I can't get up without my furry alarm clock"

Post #: 8
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 22/8/2006 12:49:13 AM   
danbo1138

america is the best???never read it.i grew up on dredd,almost 20 years ago.is it better than apocalypse war,or the early judge death stuff????????cursed earth,,chopper??fink??if so thats my next purchace(just getting back into the comic scene)

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to Thrillkiller)
Post #: 9
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 22/8/2006 12:54:18 AM   
furrybastard

America is a different kind of Dredd story to the ones you mentioned Danbo (all of which are excellent! ) Dredd isn't even the main character as such. It's a much more mature story and takes a look at Dredd's world from a whole new perspective.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 10
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 22/8/2006 1:08:46 AM   
danbo1138

i'll check it out

Post #: 11
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 22/8/2006 1:18:04 AM   
Izzardesque2

Haven't read either for over a decade!! Used to read every single one repeatedly.

I do remember America tho, and yes, its an ace story.

I also agree that there ought to be a new movie. There are so many excellent storylines, I don't see what the problem would be. TV mini-series maybe?

< Message edited by Izzardesque2 -- 22/8/2006 1:19:16 AM >

The limerick packs laughs anatomical
Into space that is quite economical
But the good ones I've seen
So seldom are clean
And the clean ones so seldom are comical

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 12
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 22/8/2006 1:28:13 AM   
danbo1138

hmmmm judge dredd tv show,could work(scratches chin)

(in reply to Izzardesque2)
Post #: 13
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 24/8/2006 1:05:52 PM   
sanchia

I spent 15 minutes reviewing issue 1502.  As I went to post it the thread went a bit mad and I ended up with an SQL Server error page showing again. Reloaded the page but had lost the post and somehow, although I was logged in at the top of the page, the Logged in notice further down had me as a guest.  As such I don't have the time to complete the review again.

A synopsis is Dredd, Banzai Battallion, and Nicolai Dante are all shaping up nicely with a good pace and plot development.  The two new ones, Stone Island and Malone are still in the early days and nothing much  plotwise has happened so far (apart from the creepy clown making a reappearance in Malone).

An ok issue if nothing spectacular. 

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 14
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 27/8/2006 5:15:02 PM   
furrybastard

Prog 1502                                                                                       Judge Dredd Megazine 249

Two excellent Simon Davis covers from the House of Tharg this week

2000AD 1502 was a good read. The Connection is proceeding nicely with tantalising glimpses into what is actually in the box. Nice to see 3D in cinema is being used in the future too! Malone has so far been a nicely paced, tightly drawn set of cliches but there's little substance so far. Stone Island looks great, some of Davis' most adventurous work. Edginton has some nice touches of humour and a good sense of doom pervades the strip. Nice amount of gore too

Banzai Battallion was quite the surprise. Roberts' art isn't up to much but Wagner's script was excellent and I really like what he's doing in this strip. The Nikolai Dante episode seemed almost rushed and a bit of a filler to bridge the gap between the plot and the action that is sure to occur over the next few issues.

As for The Meg, the big news is that part three of America is being debuted next month in issue 250!

#249 was a read of two halves. Dredd: Regime Change was tied up nicely with a slightly confusing ending (!?) and the art seemed a little more rushed this time around. Fiends of the Eastern Front was another 6 page non-event - my problem with the Meg is that each strip is simply not receiving enough pages per episode since the redesign, a fact echoed in one letter at the end of the maazine and rather smugly dismissed by the editor. The Dredd reprint was fun. Black Siddha has really gone down the pan and it's gotten to the point where I don't really know whats going on and I don't really care either. Tales of the Black Museum was fine but nothing more than a standard Future Shock that you'd see in 200AD - it doesn't belong in the Meg.

The Neil Gaiman feature was excellent however and these creator profiles they've been doing over the past few months have really fleshed the mag out. The Small Press section was ok but I don't see why it deserves the highest page count next to Dredd. The Film reviews were ok, the book review less so. I guess it might save some people who'd be into fantasy books some time though.

Overall I think the Meg needs to give a higher page count to their original stories like Fiends and whatever replaces Black Siddha. Hopefully #250 will bring about a rise in quality, and I sincerely hop America: Part III lives up to expectations after the disappointing part II.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 27/8/2006 7:14:40 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 15
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 27/8/2006 5:15:53 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I spent 15 minutes reviewing issue 1502.  As I went to post it the thread went a bit mad and I ended up with an SQL Server error page showing again. Reloaded the page but had lost the post and somehow, although I was logged in at the top of the page, the Logged in notice further down had me as a guest.  As such I don't have the time to complete the review again.

I've noticed that happening quite a bit in this forum. It's always a good idea to copy your long posts before submitting them

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 16
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 8/9/2006 12:06:47 PM   
rikkie

Borag thung earthlings.

I still have my issue of 2000AD number 1 (sadly sans space spinner), though I stopped buying it circa issue 550.  I've been going through them all recently while I try and sort out the attic filled with decades of comics and magazins.

Sigh, those were the days:

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

Post #: 17
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 9/9/2006 7:18:07 PM   
furrybastard

Ooh, you gonna sell them rikkie?! 

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 18
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 10/9/2006 7:13:41 PM   
furrybastard

Prog 1503                                                  Prog 1504

Both great covers. I particularly like Jock's Dredd cover, really jumps out and grabs you by the eyeballs!

Judge Dredd: The Connection concluded nicely and the Bolland cover art for the next issue looks amazing. Along with America III in the Megazine, Wagner seems to be *gulp* wrapping up Dredd!?!

Malone is moving ahead nicely enough but it's nothing special. Progressing the story is taking precedent over any so0rt of characterisation leaving a feeling of 'meh' for me. Stone Island is proceeding nicely though - Davis' art is great and Edginton is becoming better and better at juggling the characters without sacrificing the story or vice versa.

I'm really enjoying Banzai Battalion. The art is fitting enough but, as I've said before, it pales in comparison to when Henry Flint was working on the series. Again, Wagner has injected this previously comedic strip with a dark vein and this looks set to be the final mission for the Battalion.

Nikolai Dante is great stuff and it's nice to see the wider world of Dante being reintroduced in the form of Tsar Vladimir! I'd like to see series co-creator Simon Fraser returning though. Burns' art is great and everything but its become a bit over-familiar and repetitive.

So, Judge Dredd: Origins begins next week in Prog 1505! Could this be the end of Dredd?

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 10/9/2006 7:16:34 PM >

Post #: 19
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 10/9/2006 7:17:03 PM   
danbo1138

old school dredd fan from 20 years ago ,don't read 2000ad anymore,but am intriuged by the dredd origins,can you giz a clue pls(reading cursed earth now)

Post #: 20
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 10/9/2006 7:19:51 PM   
danbo1138

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

America is a different kind of Dredd story to the ones you mentioned Danbo (all of which are excellent! ) Dredd isn't even the main character as such. It's a much more mature story and takes a look at Dredd's world from a whole new perspective.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

america has turned up will read soon,cost 15 quid for all the issues

Post #: 21
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 10/9/2006 7:27:20 PM   
furrybastard

Hey Danbo, America is great stuff, i'm sure you'll enjoy it! Come back and let us know what you think!!

There is an America TPB out as far as I know and collects both the original story and the (not great) sequel, Fading of the Light. You might be interested to know that America III (which nobody seemed to know was happening!) is going to start in the next issue of The Judge Dredd Megazine, on sale September 19th!

As for Judge Dredd: Origins, this is beginning in next weeks 2000AD (Prog 1505) and is set to explore the history of Dredd and his world; how Mega Xity One and the Judge system came to be. From what I've heard - and they're remaining fairly tightlipped - this is going to have huge ramifications. There are also rumours it may very well be the end of Dredd, or at least John Wagner's (Dredd's creator who has been scriptnig it now for almost 30 years!) swansong.

Here is the Brian Bolland cover art for the next issue - if this doesn't excite you, you may as well be dead!

You can view a trailer for the story here!

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 22
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 10/9/2006 7:31:50 PM   
danbo1138

no no no the end of old stoney face,never,wagners leaving huh,that and tom frame,end of an era,i'm gonna check this out,i've got to,i,ve been into dredd for almost if not a quater of a century,i feel its my duty(justy getting back into comics)

Post #: 23
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 10/9/2006 7:34:32 PM   
danbo1138

i'm sad now,not good

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 24
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 10/9/2006 7:37:23 PM   
danbo1138

why did'nt the film look like that?

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 25
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 10/9/2006 7:52:29 PM   
furrybastard

Because they didn't have Brian Bolland working on it! 

Again, nobody is quite sure what's going to happen but this is probably the most uncertain of times for fans of Dredd. Everyone remembers Johnny Alpha and Strontium Dog - he was at times voted even more popular than Dredd and Wagner killed him off. Wagner said before that the last Dredd story would be the one that explores his past but again, that was said a few years ago and who knows whether he is still thinking the same way.

The death of Tom Frame seems like a rather profound note to end on though. Of all the people who have worked on Dredd over the years, he was the constant and it's strange that you do actually feel his absence in the strip.

EDIT: Strangely enough, it does look like Simon Fraser will return to illustrating Nikolai Dante and it will be in a few weeks' time! Apparently Morrison is planning on ending Dante soon too! With Sinister//Dexter seemingly gone now too, will there be any characters left!?!

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 10/9/2006 7:53:28 PM >

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 26
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 10/9/2006 8:07:06 PM   
danbo1138

dredd will never die,he IS 2000ad ,think bond when flemming died,and broccioly poped his clogs,still here,they should carry on from when the origin story finishe's and start anew the dredd saga,shit i gave up this when the judda,and the kracken stuff was about,i did'nt like the fact that they were ageing dredd,he should be like batman or spidey in that he is forever

Post #: 27
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 10/9/2006 8:11:24 PM   
danbo1138

just noticed something that's shit me up!!esquerra is on drawing duties,the first artist to draw dredd if memory serves,this could give weight to your therory that its the last ever dredd story,in that in they(john and carlos)brought him into the world,and that they could take him out.gulp

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 28
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 11/9/2006 5:52:34 PM   
furrybastard

Wagner and Ezquerra often team up on Dredd, particularly for the bigger stories.

They would never restart Dredd, though there is a new Rico clone hanging about they could continue with (Gordon Rennie seems to be the guy being groomed to take over).

Over the last few years they've been moving Dredd forward in age and personality. He's a far more multi-dimensional character now. If Wagner wants to end it, it's going to end: simple as that.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 29
RE: The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread - 11/9/2006 6:13:16 PM   
danbo1138

thats why i stopped reading 2000ad,dredd went p.c.and then the whole ageing thing,his apeale to me was that he wanted one thing,to serve the law,single minded.in the begining he was compared by some to being akin to a nazi,shooting jaywalkers,to years in the cubes for littering,the sentence is death ,all that.by the book,a law fundamentalist,BUT i'm looking forward to this new story though,and i will be buying this friday(still out on friday?)a little thing i noticed whilst reading the cursed earth ,the vampire robot chapter,gives some nice clues as to what may be in store.the judges verthrowing the last president,and sentencing him for 'pressing the button'.could have a nice spin on that considering what's going on in the world?

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> The 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI