Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Green Mile - 14/8/2006 8:06:41 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Amazing - 14/8/2006 8:06:42 PM   
Nerky

Absolutley amazing. Amazingly acted, directed and filmed. I had tears in my eyes at the end. The Green Mile shoud be put on "top ten movies of all time" shelf.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Amazing - 14/8/2006 11:02:26 PM   
BobaJango

A little too overly sentimental in places (guy stamps on lovable mouse = heartbreak) but a quality film none the less. Flawless acting!

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to Nerky)
Post #: 3
RE: Amazing - 15/8/2006 11:24:05 AM   
PedroSanchez

A truly brilliant and very emotional film. If you don't have a tear in your eye by the end then you need to check your pulse. The whole cast play their roles to perfection. A really moving picture.

''What business is it of yours where I'm from, friendo?''

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 4
RE: Amazing - 15/8/2006 6:48:33 PM   
*Jack of all Trades*

Just

OMG WTF KTHXBAI

(in reply to PedroSanchez)
Post #: 5
RE: Amazing - 16/8/2006 12:24:12 PM   
KnightofZyryab

A beautiful film, with superb performances.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to *Jack of all Trades*)
Post #: 6
RE: Amazing - 16/8/2006 12:36:44 PM   
Wilbert

I liked it well enough but it suffers from being made by the same director as Shawshank and having the same writer.
It's not as good as Shawshank and I think the really bad effect of what look like flies coming out of Clarkes mouth could have been left out.
I also remember when you see the really old mouse at the end there was a loud "for fucks sake" in the cinema and you could hear a lot of people reacting as if the director had just gone too far.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 7
RE: Amazing - 16/8/2006 5:49:02 PM   
buffy

The Green Mile is one of my favourite movies. The performances are outstanding especially Michael Clarke Duncan and Tom Hanks. It is also written and directed perfectly.  I'd give it five stars.

In every generation there is a chosen one

Member of COBW

Last 5 movies

Airplane 4/5
Hot Fuzz 4/5
Casanova 3/5
Pirates of The Carribean: At Worlds End 3/5
Alpha Dog 4/5

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 8
RE: Amazing - 17/8/2006 2:20:11 PM   
Bobby1975

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

I also remember when you see the really old mouse at the end there was a loud "for fucks sake" in the cinema and you could hear a lot of people reacting as if the director had just gone too far.

Ooh you cynical so and so!!

Non servium.

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 9
RE: Amazing - 17/8/2006 3:29:45 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bobby1975

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

Ooh you cynical so and so!!

In my defence, it wasn't me that uttered the "for fucks sake".

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Bobby1975)
Post #: 10
makes death row seem fun. - 21/10/2006 6:14:02 PM   
solid snake

This is a very good adaptation of Stephen Kings fantastic book. A rather sad film as well as bieng rather funny. Its a rather sad film/book. Very good but certainly not as good as the book.

Post #: 11
One of the best EVER! - 13/11/2006 1:06:02 PM   
surfy

This film is right up there in my top ten films ever. It will have you laughing, crying and shouting at the screen. It's a film that touches your emotions unlike most films these days. Performances from all are amazing.. wonderful stuff! How long will we have to wait for another film of this quality?

Post #: 12
- 9/5/2007 4:49:53 PM   
willchadwick

A very saddening film that has it's moments but doesn't live up to that just special extra that they have in Shawshank

Post #: 13
Brilliant adaption of a Classic Stephen King story - 16/6/2007 5:42:23 PM   
SimpleSimpson92

I am a big fan of the book, and when I saw the film version of "The Green Mile" I was overjoyed. Tom Hanks is brilliantly cast as Paul Edgecombe, the Guard on Death Row and Michael Clark Duncan IS actually John Coffey. Brilliantly acted and extremely touching. If you aren't touched in some way by the end, you have no Soul. A Fantastic film... up there among the best. If you haven't seen it, get the DVD, you won't be dissapointed.

Post #: 14
Just Watch it! - 2/7/2007 8:16:29 PM   
DJ Funktris

Wow! Brilliant! Emotional, Funny, Amazing! This Film Gives you a real feeling of what life was like during the deppression and makes you realise that everybody makes mistakes, some for the worst some for good. It also shows the audience the power that one man can have over another no matter how big or scary or murderous he is. In the end of it all we will meet our maker and he/she may be smaller than us but they have the power over us and this film explains it beautifully.

Post #: 15
Saddeningly Beautiful - 24/1/2008 12:06:52 PM   
blaud

This excellent movie is a must for all people of the world. The disturbing world of death row in the hands of Tom hanks' Paul edgecomb is something that must be experienced. Michael Clarke duncans' John coffey adds to the beauty, and everyone must see this film. Frank Darabont, We Salute you!

Post #: 16
Brilliant, amazing, astounding! - 7/2/2008 12:47:14 PM   
Empo

This film... well words can't even describe how great it is! The first film that I have ever cried too and every time I watch it now I ball like a baby! It follows the book so well (which I also cried at!) If you haven't seen it make sure you do before you die, trust me you wont be disappointed!

Post #: 17
The Green Mile - 14/4/2008 6:55:12 PM   
t_bell

There's no doubt that The Green Mile is a masterpiece. However my only gripes are it's length-very drawn out-and the lack of bite to juxtapose the cuteness. An Extremely emotive film and another blinder is played by Hanks!

Post #: 18
Simply Astounding - 9/10/2008 12:54:17 PM   
amyg

This is by far one of the greatest films of all time- and definitely one of the most incredible book adaptations i have ever come across. Darabont not only understands the true horror of Stephen King's writing, but is able to appreciate the depth with which King is writing, and this comes across easily in the film. Every actor/ actress involved gives a stunning performance, with Hanks bringing to life the wonderous character of Paul Edgecombe that i truly believe no other actor could- he IS Edgecombe. Clark Duncan exudes sympathy and misunderstanding, and the scene i find him at his best is when he is watching Fred Astaire in that dusty prison cinema room, with a look on his face of pure conviction that this is one of the greatest moments in his life. It never fails to bring tears to my eyes. Hutchinson's portrayal of Percy Wetmore could not be more perfect- the resentment you feel, the building hatred towards this character. It's a testament to his acting skills and Drabont's writing that because of his character you end up feeling sympathy towards Eduard Delacroix, a prisoner who more than deserves death row. The supporting cast, especially Morse as Brutus 'Brutal' Howell, only further bring to life the magic and superiority of The Green Mile. Hands down- quite simply one of the greatest Films of all time.

Post #: 19
Good movie - 20/4/2009 12:26:54 PM   
shady_88

but this is not a masterpiece like The Shawshank Redemption. People love this movie too much

Post #: 20
Nothing special - 19/12/2009 5:34:45 PM   
shady_88

that's all

Post #: 21
Unforgetable. - 15/4/2010 11:40:50 AM   
joanna likes films

They don't make films like this anymore. Never have I used so many emotions in one movie such as this. It will haunt you for a good long time, I thought about it when I went to bed and is still in my mind today. The pefomances were outstanding from Tom Hanks, Michael Clark Duncan, James Cromwell, David Morse and Bonnie Hunt. Yes it's a very long film and can be a slow burner but keep with it, simply unforgetable and breathtaking

Post #: 22
Great film but overated - 10/8/2010 6:36:26 PM   
stevolegendbauer

Its funny how many people who dont really like movies have come up to me and said that "The Green Mile" is an incredible movie. But when I watched it, I could understand where they were coming from but didnt find it the masterpeice I was told about.
The story is amazing, as are the entire cast, there are great scenes and great characters and the film is very emotional but it is too lengthy and looks alot to me as if Darabont has stuck too closely to his source material. There are many scenes that the film could do without and some parts that need more exposition.
Its still a great film, if overrated but its not worth five stars.

Post #: 23
Green mile - 6/12/2011 11:22:59 AM   
antosh25

Can't forget it.

Post #: 24
One Hell of a film! - 28/10/2012 6:24:49 PM   
TheBohemianBean

The Green Mile is a staggering and magical film. Tom Hanks and John Coffey give us a gripping and emotional performance throughout. The Green Mile is set in death row in the 1930s. Tom Hanks plays Paul Edgecomb, a prison guard who's character changes from a "cynical veteran guard", to a sympathetic figure. Not only does it show us one of Tom Hanks' greatest performances, also, a movie masterpiece, based on the Stephen King novel.
By the way, well done Tom!

Post #: 25
True to the Story - 7/1/2013 6:21:56 AM   
jmmgausa

What I love about Stephen King is that he makes the fantastical seem very real. Sometimes the stories don't get the treatments they deserve when transferred to film. That being said, Darabont really nailed this story on film. This movie tells the story just like I saw it in my head as I was reading it. I never doubted the sincerity of the actors. One of my all time favorites.

Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Green Mile Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI