Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: God Bless The Daily Mail

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: God Bless The Daily Mail Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: God Bless The Daily Mail - 22/5/2009 6:06:08 PM   
Timon

God Bless the Daily Mail! Yeah you heard!

Hate the paper, but my mum gets it and last night, I went to my parents for dinner and there, lying on the living room table was a 'War Collection 3 DVD set' that apparantly came free with the Daily Mail.

- A Matter of Life And Death
- Return To The River Kwai

... and a childhood favourite, The Heroes Of Telemark!

Needless to say, I half-inched it!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 241
RE: God Bless The Daily Mail - 24/5/2009 12:56:04 PM   
Timon

A Matter of Life and Death was fantastic. A beautifully made film.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 242
RE: God Bless The Daily Mail - 24/5/2009 3:31:15 PM   
Deviation

Think its one of the best things to come out of Britian actually, filled with imagination and inventiveness. AND how did they achieve those special effects? Thye were really good.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 243
RE: God Bless The Daily Mail - 24/5/2009 10:54:38 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I saw a film called The Night Of The Generals yesterday. A bit of an odd one. A prostitute is murdered in German occupied Warsaw and a general for the German army is suspected. Omar Sharif is the Major investigating the case, and Peter O'Toole, Donald Pleasance and Charles Gray are the three chief suspects. Also thown into the mix is Tom Courtenay, the plot to kill Hitler, a weird fetish for decadent art and Christopher Plummer as Rommel.

At two and half hours it's overlong, it's easy to spot the end from quite early on (one or two good shocks on the way though) and it's more of a crime thriller than a war film, but still worth checking out, if only for the fine cast.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 244
RE: Battle of Beersheba - 31/5/2009 11:49:09 AM   
Timon

Just watched another Young Indy Film - The Daredevils of the Deserts - and it featured the WWI Battle of Beersheba where the Australian 4th Light Horse Brigade, covered some six kilometres to overrun and capture the last remaining Turkish trenches, and secure the surviving wells at Beersheba losing only 34 men.

Great stuff and I was wondering if you guys have seen any of the two films made about it:

• The 1940 film 40,000 Horsemen[1]
  • The 1987 film The Lighthorsemen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Beersheba#Prelude

(in reply to DazDaMan)
  • Post #: 245
    RE: Battle of Beersheba - 10/6/2009 1:53:43 AM   
    Gimli The Dwarf

I watched the excellent Hell in The Pacific again yesterday. Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune stranded on an island, directed by John Boorman. Brilliant!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
    Post #: 246
    RE: Battle of Beersheba - 10/6/2009 1:16:32 PM   
    Scott_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I watched the excellent Hell in The Pacific again yesterday. Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune stranded on an island, directed by John Boorman. Brilliant!

Good to know you think it's excellent because I bought that this morning along with Battle of the Bulge and Enemy Mine which sounds exactly the same as Hell in The Pacific but set in space.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
    Post #: 247
    RE: Battle of Beersheba - 11/6/2009 2:11:39 AM   
    Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Good to know you think it's excellent because I bought that this morning along with Battle of the Bulge and Enemy Mine which sounds exactly the same as Hell in The Pacific but set in space.

Not quite the same but both are very good Not seen Enemy Mine in years but I loved it. Battle Of the Bulge is worthwhile as well, a fine cast

Much more better!

(in reply to Scott_)
    Post #: 248
    RE: Battle of Beersheba - 15/6/2009 9:15:55 PM   
    Scott_

I watched Hell in The Pacific last night and it is indeed excellent. It's the first Toshiro Mifune film I've seen, thought he was great so now I'm gonna have to seek out more of his films.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Post #: 249
    RE: Battle of Beersheba - 17/6/2009 11:46:44 AM   
    Heskin Radiophonic

I recently watched Where Eagles Dare again for the first time in years. I loved it, but the whole cable-car fight is stunning, gripping cinema.

Heskin Radiophonic - Wait For No Man
    new ep free download

(in reply to Scott_)
    Post #: 250
    RE: Battle of Beersheba - 18/6/2009 1:48:51 AM   
    Gimli The Dwarf

I've been rewatching Band Of Brothers this week. It pretty much wipes the floor with any war film. Just excellent.

Much more better!

(in reply to Heskin Radiophonic)
    Post #: 251
    RE: The War Film Thread - 22/6/2009 4:24:31 AM   
    Everlasting Fire

I spent the weekend watching war movies with my friends. Out of the 8 movies we watched, three of them I have never heard of, and they were fairly good. The movies are:

"The Bridge At Remagen", "Raid on Rommel" and "Commandos". The latter with Lee Van Cleef.

Have you seen any of them? If you have, let me know what you think of them.

My all time favorite war movies are:1) The Thin Red Line 2) Platoon 3) The Longest Day 4) A Bridge Too Far 5) Three Kings (I know, I know ....no Private Ryan, no Apocalypse, no Kwai, ..... so I have been told many times)

(in reply to Timon)
    Post #: 252
    RE: The War Film Thread - 22/6/2009 11:09:28 AM   
    DazDaMan

Nothing wrong with that, I find Apocalypse Now! boring as shit, Saving Private Ryan too flag-wavey, and damn-me-to-hell, never been over The Bridge on the River Kwai...!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Everlasting Fire)
    Post #: 253
    RE: The War Film Thread - 23/6/2009 5:46:32 AM   
    Gimli The Dwarf

You must watch River Kwai! It's excellent.

Much more better!

(in reply to DazDaMan)
    Post #: 254
    RE: The War Film Thread - 24/6/2009 9:52:46 AM   
    sharkboy

This arrived just before I set out for work today, so guess what I'll be doing tonight?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 255
    RE: The War Film Thread - 24/6/2009 10:03:20 AM   
    Timon

Oooh, that looks pretty and I heard it's up-res'ed very well.

I still have yet to get a Blu Ray player!

(in reply to sharkboy)
    Post #: 256
    RE: The War Film Thread - 24/6/2009 10:15:35 AM   
    DazDaMan

A Bridge Too Far is excellent. Turn up the volume for the short and sweet Spitfire sequence, though!

I watched Valkyrie for the second time last night. Still think it's a brilliant "little" film....

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Timon)
    Post #: 257
    RE: The War Film Thread - 24/6/2009 10:36:25 AM   
    sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I still have yet to get a Blu Ray player!

Ti, that's a serious oversight for someone who's just won Ł2.5k on the gee-gees!  Sort it out!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Timon)
    Post #: 258
    RE: The War Film Thread - 24/6/2009 10:49:42 AM   
    Timon

Yeah, but I'm waiting for blu-ray players to be multiregional... unless I get a PS3 and then I kiss farewell to the small amount of social life I currently have...

(in reply to sharkboy)
    Post #: 259
    RE: The War Film Thread - 25/6/2009 6:15:43 AM   
    Gimli The Dwarf

Has anybody here read the book A Bridge Too Far? I finally bought it earlier this year after wanting it for years, but I haven't read it yet. The film is superb.

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
    Post #: 260
    RE: The War Film Thread - 25/6/2009 8:20:26 AM   
    Rinc

I love A Bridge Too Far although when i first watched it i got a bit distracted by all the stars.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
    [ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 261
    RE: The War Film Thread - 25/6/2009 10:51:14 PM   
    DazDaMan

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKLLRx7xaVI

This is a clip from a Japanese film called For Those We Love, dramatizing the IJAAF Special Attack (kamikaze) pilots based at Chiran, from the POV of a famous innkeeper who was considered the "godmother" to the Tokkotai pilots.

Might need to find this one on DVD if possible....

(in reply to Rinc)
    Post #: 262
    RE: The War Film Thread - 8/7/2009 9:08:05 PM   
    Nostromo.

A film about the battle for Tobruk is being released soon, totally slipped under my rader, it's Slovak made and follows the Czech Legion and their capers in the famous town. There seems to be a few good reviews about it over on IMDb. Anyone seen/heard of it?

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/tobruk.html

No Time To Bleed

What Do You Use For Bait? Paypal?

(in reply to DazDaMan)
    Post #: 263
    RE: The War Film Thread - 8/7/2009 10:36:44 PM   
    DazDaMan

No idea, but that's a convincing-looking Stuka wreck on the cover!

(in reply to Nostromo.)
    Post #: 264
    RE: The War Film Thread - 9/7/2009 1:57:30 AM   
    Gimli The Dwarf

I've not heard of that one, but I do like the old Rock Hudson Tobruk.

Has anybody seen the film Kokada: 39th Battalion? It's an Australian film about their troops and the Japanese in 1942. I bought it a whle back but haven't got round to seeing it yet.

Much more better!

(in reply to DazDaMan)
    Post #: 265
    RE: The War Film Thread - 9/7/2009 3:16:17 PM   
    Timon

I have and I know Sway has. It's rather good. Not groundbreaking, but entertaining enough.

Post #: 266
    RE: The War Film Thread - 9/7/2009 10:34:14 PM   
    Rgirvan44

Anyone seen the trailer for the Russian film, Admiral - looks like it is set during World War One - Russian civil war period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw6GX9Ls394&feature=related

Its out here in a couple of weeks.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
    Post #: 267
    RE: The War Film Thread - 20/8/2009 5:36:40 AM   
    Gimli The Dwarf

Forgot to mention at the time, but Admiral looks quite good. I've hardly seen any films about that period.

Not about films, but I thought someone in this thread might know.

I'm reading a book about Europe during WWII and it mentions in passing the attack at Mers-el-Kébir, when the British Navy sank French ships to stop them falling into enemy hands. I knew of the incident but not in any detail. Today I discovered that earlier this year there was a documentary shown about this incident, but I can't find out what it was called or which channel. I'm really looking to see if it's available on iPlayer or an equivalent. Did anybody see it or know what it was called?

Much more better!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
    Post #: 268
    RE: The War Film Thread - 20/8/2009 10:13:25 AM   
    Scott_

Gimli, Is this what your looking for?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/churchills-darkest-decision

Theres no option to watch it through 4oD for some reason.

Post #: 269
    RE: The War Film Thread - 21/8/2009 1:42:06 AM   
    Gimli The Dwarf

That's the one. Cheers!! I'll now be on the lookout for repeats.

Much more better!

(in reply to Scott_)
    Post #: 270
    Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: God Bless The Daily Mail Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI