Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 30/11/2008 8:22:07 PM   
Taffy

I've not seen 39th batallion, will look out for it. I imagine everyone has seen it but I think a very underated film of the last few years is We Were Soldiers. It shows sympathy and dignity to the vietcong has some cracking battle scenes and shows a good insight into how wars affect the families back home. I really love Sam Elliot as the take no shit sergeant "No Sir, Custer was a pussy!" Classic line.

I think you have covered most war films there Sway, you might want to check out "The Big Red One" but make sure its the reconstructed one. I also love "Bridge over Reimargen" with Robert Vaughn. I notice you don't have Bridge over the River Kwai on your list, you should check it out if you like the pacific war (I think you mentioned it in another thread somewhere). I'm sure there are loads more but I cant think at the moment!

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 121
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 30/11/2008 9:17:35 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taffy

I've not seen 39th batallion, will look out for it. I imagine everyone has seen it but I think a very underated film of the last few years is We Were Soldiers. It shows sympathy and dignity to the vietcong has some cracking battle scenes and shows a good insight into how wars affect the families back home. I really love Sam Elliot as the take no shit sergeant "No Sir, Custer was a pussy!" Classic line.

I think you have covered most war films there Sway, you might want to check out "The Big Red One" but make sure its the reconstructed one. I also love "Bridge over Reimargen" with Robert Vaughn. I notice you don't have Bridge over the River Kwai on your list, you should check it out if you like the pacific war (I think you mentioned it in another thread somewhere). I'm sure there are loads more but I cant think at the moment!

Haha, well spotted, yes I have taken more of an interest in it recently! Yeah Bridge over the River Kwai is one I've seen in bits over the years as it's always on t.v.  It's probably a good idea to buy it so I can watch it fully, so thanks for pointing it out.

Yes! The Big Red One is one I keep wanting to check out, but for some reason keep putting myself off it.  Maybe it's the running time - I can't recall but is it especially long? I want to check out Das Boot too but I know thats nigh on 3 hours.  Which is always a push at the best of times, but when it's a draining war film it's more hard going.

I've never seen We Were Soldiers, I think all the reviews and opinions I heard about it were lukewarm at best so gave it a miss.  If you reckon it's underrate then perhaps I should re-think!

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Taffy)
Post #: 122
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 30/11/2008 9:34:42 PM   
Jackal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway
Yes! The Big Red One is one I keep wanting to check out, but for some reason keep putting myself off it.

It's got Lee Marvin in it! Cannae go wrong. I've always liked it. It's not got a huge budget so some of it looks a bit shoddy (especially the invasion bit) but it's still a solid film.

quote:

I want to check out Das Boot too but I know thats nigh on 3 hours.

Closer to 4 hours but it's well worth it. You forget who they represent and start to sympathise with them as fellow human beings. Check it out!

quote:

I've never seen We Were Soldiers, I think all the reviews and opinions I heard about it were lukewarm at best so gave it a miss.

I liked it. Also has a bit of Scottish music in it. Song's called "I'll staun ma grun!". Really puts the shits up you. Some good battle scenes and Mel Gibson puts in a good performance.

quote:

I really love Sam Elliot as the take no shit sergeant "No Sir, Custer was a pussy!" Classic line.

I'll second that.

Sway, check out Brotherhood, a Korean film about their civil war and also Come and See, from 1985 about the Germans massacre of civilians in the former Bielorussia. Not an easy watch, the latter but it's the best war film I've ever seen.

Days of Glory was pish, I though, but then I've already said that earlier on in this thread.

Contro il fascismo. Ora e sempre. Resistenza.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 123
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 30/11/2008 9:58:18 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jackal

quote:

Yes! The Big Red One is one I keep wanting to check out, but for some reason keep putting myself off it.

It's got Lee Marvin in it! Cannae go wrong. I've always liked it. It's not got a huge budget so some of it looks a bit shoddy (especially the invasion bit) but it's still a solid film.

quote:

I want to check out Das Boot too but I know thats nigh on 3 hours.

Closer to 4 hours but it's well worth it. You forget who they represent and start to sympathise with them as fellow human beings. Check it out!

quote:

I've never seen We Were Soldiers, I think all the reviews and opinions I heard about it were lukewarm at best so gave it a miss.

I liked it. Also has a bit of Scottish music in it. Song's called "I'll staun ma grun!". Really puts the shits up you. Some good battle scenes and Mel Gibson puts in a good performance.

quote:

I really love Sam Elliot as the take no shit sergeant "No Sir, Custer was a pussy!" Classic line.

I'll second that.

Sway, check out Brotherhood, a Korean film about their civil war and also Come and See, from 1985 about the Germans massacre of civilians in the former Bielorussia. Not an easy watch, the latter but it's the best war film I've ever seen.

Days of Glory was pish, I though, but then I've already said that earlier on in this thread.

Jackal, I already have Brotherhood mate, I thought I'd put it in my list but perhaps I missed it out and didn't notice.  Come and See sounds like quite a watch though.

And I really like Days of Glory - I have it!

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 124
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 30/11/2008 10:19:17 PM   
Jackal

Glad you've got Brotherhood. And, definitely get Come and See watched.

Days of Glory, however, was pish, from a historical point of view. Utter, utter revisionism. The film claims to finally tell the truth about the North Africans fighting in Italy yet they left out whole swathes of shit which wouldn't allow the audience to feel much sympathy for them.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 125
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 1/12/2008 9:59:52 AM   
Timon

Yeah Brotherhood is great...

Also, I recommend a "James Mason as Erwin Rommel" double bill - The Desert Fox & The Desert Rats.

Both films come in one set. I picked it up for a fiver. The Desert Fox is fantastic and deals with Rommel's rise, admiration from his enemies and his unfortunate end due to the July 20th Plot. The Desert Rats has him cameoing but it's mainly about Richard Burton leading troops in the defence of Tobruk!

I feel there should be a modern day film about the North Africa Campaign.

Also Sway, check out HBO's The Tuskegee Airmen and Conspiracy.

The Tuskegee Airmen is about the first black US fighter group that infamously never lost a bomber to enemy attack whilst dealing with wanton racism and Conspiracy is all about the Wansee Conference where the Nazis found a 'solution' to the "Jewish Problem."

< Message edited by Timon -- 1/12/2008 3:42:55 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 126
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 1/12/2008 11:29:58 AM   
thomas12

Behind Enemy Lines: This is my favourate war movie.

Wii Mario Kart
wii games
Wii Fit

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 127
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 1/12/2008 12:42:20 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Sway, you should maybe check out some of the WWII films that John Mills starred in. We Dive At Dawn, Ice Cold In Alex, The Colditz Story, This Happy Breed, The Way To The Stars, I Was Monty's Double, King Rat, Tunes Of Glory, Above Us The Waves and Dunkirk. A great actor, but bever better when playing military types.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 128
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 1/12/2008 2:01:15 PM   
Jackal

I'll second Conspiracy and The Desert Fox, Timon. Both very different but equally excellent films. Conspiracy was on TV a few years back, wsn't it. I'm sure I've also seen it available on DVD. Kenneth Branagh (as Heydrich) and Stanley Tucci (as Eichmann) are both scarily good in their roles.

The Desert Fox is remarkable in that it came out only 6 years after the War. It's a sympathetic portrayal of a respected General who came so close to killing Hitler in the assassination plot. James Mason is, as always, great.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 129
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 1/12/2008 2:10:23 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Sway, you should maybe check out some of the WWII films that John Mills starred in. We Dive At Dawn, Ice Cold In Alex...

Ice Cold In Alex - amazing. Hands down one of my best war films if only for that thirst quenching final scene.

quote:

I'll second Conspiracy and The Desert Fox, Timon. Both very different but equally excellent films. Conspiracy was on TV a few years back, wsn't it.

It was. Shown on BBC1. The R2 DVD is ludicrously expensive but the R1 can be tracked down for under a fiver.

quote:

The Desert Fox is remarkable in that it came out only 6 years after the War. It's a sympathetic portrayal of a respected General who came so close to killing Hitler in the assassination plot. James Mason is, as always, great.

Actually, I don't think Rommell played a part in July 20th Plot, he just knew of it and hoped they succeeded, this is why he was given an option over his death instead of just being lined up and shot. That and the fact he was the best general Germany, and probably the whole war, had seen.

< Message edited by Timon -- 1/12/2008 3:42:30 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Post #: 130
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 1/12/2008 3:02:44 PM   
Jackal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Actually, I don't think Rommell played a part in July 4th Plot, he just knew of it and hoped they succeeded, this is why he wasn't given an option over his death instead of just being lined up and shot. That and the fact he was the best general Germany, and probably the whole war, had seen.

Aye, I jumped the gun a bit there. He didn't take an active part but certainly knew about it, I'm sure.

I'll second your thoughts on Ice Cold in Alex as well. A glass of Carlsberg has never looked so good!

It was Carlsberg, wasn't it?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 131
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 2/12/2008 11:24:20 AM   
Timon

It was. Plus I think John Mills did quite a few takes and the one that's in the film was about the seventh... so he was rather drunk by then.

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 132
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 5/12/2008 6:27:43 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

I have that film! I thought I was the only one had seen it.

I got it free when I was working in the BBC History dept and a preview disc of it was sent to us to review... so I just took it. Enjoyable movie.

So that's what my TV licence pays for! I had started to wonder what could possibly cost me 11 a month, it was to keep Timon in War movies. 11 well spent then!

I finally got round to watching 'The Great Raid' the other day, I was pleasantly suprised, enjoyed it a lot.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 133
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 7/12/2008 9:04:55 AM   
Castor Troy

Anyone seen Joyeux Noel? It's on my LoveFilm list.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 134
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 8/12/2008 6:22:06 PM   
mafyou

I saw The Dirty Dozen last night for the first time. Brilliant film. The ending wasn't as good as what came before but it was still a great film. Marvin and Bronson!

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 135
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 8/12/2008 7:09:52 PM   
Jackal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

Anyone seen Joyeux Noel? It's on my LoveFilm list.

Excellent film. Lots of familiar faces in each of the Scottish, French and German sides.

The ending is very poignant.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 136
RE: The War Film Thread - 12/12/2008 10:16:34 AM   
Timon

quote:

Spike Lee has apparently blasted Clint Eastwood for having no black GIs in either of his Iwo Jima films despite black units taking part in the invasion.

Despite Lee's rantings though, I am rather intrigued by his own war film - Miracle At St. Anna - that's about a platoon of black soldiers from the 92nd 'Buffalo Soldier' division trapped in a Tuscan village. From the photos I've seen, it looks very Days Of Glory - soldiers fighting prejudice in the ranks as well as the Axis.

Good to see Michael Ealy. I miss him ever since Sleeper Cell was cancelled.
Also stars Derek Luke, Laz Alonso, Omar Benson, Miller,Matteo Sciabordi, John Leguizamo,Naomi Campbell (!?!), Joseph Gordon-Levitt and James Gandolfini.

Apart from Lee taking cheap shots at directors much better than himself, this film has been getting rave reviews with one reviewer saying it's a 'masterpiece' with Oscar written all over it.

So.... this flopped big time in the States, is it even getting a release over here anymore?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 137
RE: The War Film Thread - 22/1/2009 2:23:08 AM   
LittleRififi

Ive been preaching this movie for a while...

Absolutely brilliant espionage...

Also someone check out Hell is for Heroes with Steve McQueen

Also Flyboys sucked sorry...

"Death is at the bottom of everything, leave death to the professionals" -- Major Calloway

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 138
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 22/1/2009 5:05:13 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jackal

Days of Glory, however, was pish, from a historical point of view. Utter, utter revisionism. The film claims to finally tell the truth about the North Africans fighting in Italy yet they left out whole swathes of shit which wouldn't allow the audience to feel much sympathy for them.

I saw this last week. Taking it on its own merits, it was a perfectly fine war film. I don't know enough about the truth, or even where to look, to decide how it actually holds up.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 139
RE: The War Film Thread - 7/2/2009 1:39:27 PM   
Mason Verger

Pick up our Classic War Movies collection of 14 DVDs | Mail Online

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 140
RE: The War Film Thread - 8/2/2009 9:07:47 PM   
Chopper

Gotta say, i do like the look of this one!

PLOT: The true story about one of the most brilliant saboteurs during World War II and his battle to overcome his inner demons.

Wiki Film info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Manus_(film)#Plot
The Max Manus - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Manus

Trailer / Movie Website - http://www.maxmanusfilmen.no/
Trailer with Subs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B17xDMaSZCw

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 141
RE: The War Film Thread - 12/2/2009 6:36:11 PM   
Chopper

Thought Timon would have replied by now? 

(in reply to Chopper)
Post #: 142
RE: The War Film Thread - 20/2/2009 8:29:36 PM   
Sway

Howdy fellow war enthusiasts.  Just bought another 2 films to add to my collection;

and

I had originally gone into buy Ice Cold in Alex, but there wasn't any left. Dammit.

(in reply to Chopper)
Post #: 143
RE: The War Film Thread - 21/2/2009 5:34:21 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Gallipoli is excellent.

Has anybody been watching the series World At War? BBC 2 have been repeating them during the afternoon. Not seen any full episodes yet, I' waiting until, the end and then work my way though. What I have seen is excellent though, it's easy to see why it's so well regarded.

Much more better!

(in reply to Chopper)
Post #: 144
RE: The War Film Thread - 22/2/2009 12:43:05 AM   
Sway

Bought this today. 

Post #: 145
RE: The War Film Thread - 23/2/2009 9:25:53 AM   
Timon

I'm sorry, Chopper. Lost in a maze of looking like I'm working...

Oh and Sway, Gallipoli is awesome.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 146
RE: War, It's Fantastic - 2/3/2009 1:21:31 PM   
Timon

Can anyone point me in the direction of an mp3 or download of the Dirty Dozen score? I've been looking for it for years.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 147
RE: War, It's Fantastic - 2/3/2009 1:54:40 PM   
Sway

quote:

Can anyone point me in the direction of an mp3 or download of the Dirty Dozen score? I've been looking for it for years.

I'm so ashamed of myself.   When my folks came to see me in Glasgow recently I got into conversation with my dad about my war films, including the Dirty Dozen, and my mum said she quite fancied getting the dvd herself.   So whilst in HMV (while I was picking up Gallipoli etc) I grabbed the first Dirty Dozen dvd that came to hand and gave it to her....

Only for it to dawn on me a week later I'd accidentally given her the Dirty Dozen; Deadly Mission dvd by mistake.

Oh the shame!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 148
RE: War, It's Fantastic - 2/3/2009 1:56:38 PM   
Timon

Oh dear. Saying that, I have the Dirty Dozen: Special Edition DVD and it comes with Dirty Dozen: The Next Mission on the second disc along with a bunch of cool documentaries including one with Dale Dye talking about the real Dirty Dozen... apparantly just airbourne troops that didn't wash!

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 149
RE: War, It's Fantastic - 2/3/2009 2:13:59 PM   
Sway

quote:

Oh dear. Saying that, I have the Dirty Dozen: Special Edition DVD and it comes with Dirty Dozen: The Next Mission on the second disc along with a bunch of cool documentaries including one with Dale Dye talking about the real Dirty Dozen... apparantly just airbourne troops that didn't wash!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI