Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The War Film Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The War Film Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The War Film Thread - 29/4/2008 3:29:59 PM   
Timon

I just finished reading Steven Pressfield's (Gates of Fire) latest novel - Killing Rommell (Click here for more).

I found it so good, I've been inspired to get the below set as I've always been fascinating by Erwin Rommell, the fantasically honourable German general who never joined the Nazi party and was respected and loved by both his men and his adversaries.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 91
RE: The War Film Thread - 30/4/2008 1:49:45 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

God, I haven't seen either of those films in years. Excellent stuff.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 92
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 1/5/2008 12:58:59 PM   
Chopper

Thought this might do better in here.

"Assembly" (Ji jie hao, 2007)  -  From the makers of Brotherhood.........

The Assembly tells in 1948, at the high point of the bloody Chinese civil war, a company leader of the communist-led Liberation Army was ordered to command 47 men to defend a position four at least four hours. They would be able to retreat once they heard the assembly call. The call never came and everyone except the company leader died. Then he spent many years to search for the reason he never heard the assembly call and to prove all his men died like real heroes.

DVD Release - 5th May

ASSEMBLY' Official Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VG1DrvN4rE&NR=1

This is 3min battle sequence from opening of the movie. Enjoy!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=usHvoSCTD38

Official Site - http://assembly.hbpictures.com/english/index.html (Took a while to load)

< Message edited by Chopper -- 2/5/2008 10:46:08 AM >

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 93
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 1/5/2008 1:00:41 PM   
Timon

Saw this advertised. Really am curious about it.

Also, with Outpost coming out soon (Nazi Zombies!), I really want to see more war/supernatural films.

I recently got R-Point which I've got to watch sometime and am looking for more films in the vein of 'Below' and 'The Bunker'. Also, was 'Deathwatch' any good?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Chopper)
Post #: 94
RE: The War Film Thread - 1/5/2008 1:33:56 PM   
Mason Verger

Gods and Generals 
Saturday 03 May
12:50am - 4:30am
ITV1 London

Gods and Generals (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 95
RE: The War Film Thread - 22/5/2008 8:36:55 AM   
Timon

Spike Lee has apparently blasted Clint Eastwood for having no black GIs in either of his Iwo Jima films despite black units taking part in the invasion.

Despite Lee's rantings though, I am rather intrigued by his own war film - Miracle At St. Anna - that's about a platoon of black soldiers from the 92nd 'Buffalo Soldier' division trapped in a Tuscan village. From the photos I've seen, it looks very Days Of Glory - soldiers fighting prejudice in the ranks as well as the Axis.

Good to see Michael Ealy. I miss him ever since Sleeper Cell was cancelled.
Also stars Derek Luke, Laz Alonso, Omar Benson, Miller,Matteo Sciabordi, John Leguizamo,Naomi Campbell (!?!), Joseph Gordon-Levitt and James Gandolfini.

Apart from Lee taking cheap shots at directors much better than himself, this film has been getting rave reviews with one reviewer saying it's a 'masterpiece' with Oscar written all over it.

< Message edited by Timon -- 22/5/2008 8:43:34 AM >

Post #: 96
RE: The War Film Thread - 3/6/2008 1:27:24 PM   
Chopper

Passchendaele is a 2008 Canadian movie. The project is spearheaded by Canadian actor and director Paul Gross. The film was shot in Calgary, Alberta, Fort Macleod, Alberta, CFB Suffield, and on location in Belgium, focuses on the experiences of Gross's grandfather, Michael Dunne, a soldier who served in the 10th Battalion, CEF in the First World War at the Battle of Passchendaele (also known as the Third Battle of Ypres).

The film is tentatively scheduled to be released on Remembrance Day, November 11, 2008.

Trailer - http://www.passchendaelethemovie.com/index.html

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 97
RE: The War Film Thread - 13/6/2008 6:03:17 PM   
Timon

The Miracle At St Anna trailer does look awesome and it's a shame that Spike's big mouth has semi-cast a black cloud over the film. He's a decent film maker but he really should climb down off his high horse regarding Clint Eastwood.

(in reply to Chopper)
Post #: 98
RE: The War Film Thread - 13/6/2008 6:50:21 PM   
Chris66

I've seen the Miracle At St.Anna trailer as well. From what I saw in the trailer the film looks pretty good.

"We just wanted to say we're a big fan of your work. When it comes to killing Nazis... I think you show great talent. And I pride myself on having an eye for that kind of talent. Your status as a Nazi killer is... still amateur. We all come here to see if you wanna go pro... '"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 99
RE: The War Film Thread - 15/6/2008 2:34:58 PM   
Chopper

Intimate Enemies

Plot:
A drama following a French platoon during Algeria's war of independence.

Lieutenant Terrien (Benoît Magimel) has been dispatched to one of the most remote regions of Algeria to replace an officer who was killed in a recent skirmish. But this war is much more complicated than Lieutenant Terrien ever anticipated, and before long he is forced to confront a World War II French Army veteran willing to kill the soldiers with whom he once served in order to secure the independence of his birthplace. When the fellaghas (Algerian national fighters) massacre an entire village in retaliation for a visit from the French, Lieutenant Terrien vows to remain calm and professional despite the unspeakable horrors that greet him with each passing day. On the other side of the coin is battle–hardened Sergeant Dougnac (Albert Dupontel), a soldier who has seen more than his fair share of combat and stands firm in the belief that this brand of brutality can only be confronted with equal measures of barbarity. Later, Lieutenant Terrien meets a young boy who miraculously survived the massacre of his village and is forced to see the conflict through the innocent eyes of a child.

Trailer - http://movies.virginmedia.com/player/default.asp?url=/film/fid7166/trailers/trid3684/wm/bb.asx&filmid=7166&trid=3684&partner=virgin&sec=trl&psec=

< Message edited by Chopper -- 15/6/2008 2:35:26 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 100
RE: The War Film Thread - 15/6/2008 10:40:14 PM   
Jackal

Intimate Enemies looks very good. I just hope it's more honest to history than that pile of shite Days of Glory.

Contro il fascismo. Ora e sempre. Resistenza.

(in reply to Chopper)
Post #: 101
RE: The War Film Thread - 7/7/2008 9:13:22 AM   
Rafer Janders

This isn't a War movie but a documentary.

It is The War by Ken Burns.

It is 15 hours, each episode about 2 hours long. I have only watched the first two episodes so far, but it is the usual excellent stuff from Ken Burns.

Whereas his previous docs have featured historians relating the events, here we have the actual soldiers and civilians.

There is also the voiceovers from various actors reading letters and newspaper reports.
The documentary is taken from the point of view of the people of four American cities that were affected during the War.

It does not cover as much of the War as the other excellent documentary The World At War, but what it does cover it does so in depth.

It also includes the segregation of black troops, which will please Spike Lee. Stating that even the blood used for transfusion on injured troops was segregated!

It does not shy away from some of the more gruesome scenes of war.

< Message edited by Rafer Janders -- 7/7/2008 9:16:34 AM >

"You killed my horse you son of a bitch".

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 102
RE: The War Film Thread - 7/7/2008 9:29:17 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I take it from the dates on the box it's only from Pearl Harbor onwards

Looks like it's worth watching though.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Rafer Janders)
Post #: 103
RE: The War Film Thread - 7/7/2008 9:53:15 AM   
Rafer Janders

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I take it from the dates on the box it's only from Pearl Harbor onwards

Looks like it's worth watching though.

Yes, from when the Yanks could be bothered to fight

It mentions the start of the war for about 5 minutes. It is from an American point of view so it's fair enough.

I managed to get a copy from ebay for about £20 inc p&p because it's quite expensive otherwise.

< Message edited by Rafer Janders -- 7/7/2008 11:33:59 AM >

Post #: 104
RE: The War Film Thread - 7/7/2008 10:50:15 AM   
Chopper

Want to see that, wasn't it free in the news papers a couple of weeks ago and I'm not talking about the world at war either.

(in reply to Rafer Janders)
Post #: 105
RE: The War Film Thread - 7/7/2008 11:37:47 AM   
Rafer Janders

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chopper

Want to see that, wasn't it free in the news papers a couple of weeks ago and I'm not talking about the world at war either.

I can't find any details about it being free anywhere. I could only find the full release on Region 1 so maybe it wasn't in newspapers.

It is well worth watching for anyone who has an interest in World War 2.

(in reply to Chopper)
Post #: 106
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 7/9/2008 6:51:43 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chopper

Thought this might do better in here.

"Assembly" (Ji jie hao, 2007)  -  From the makers of Brotherhood.........

The Assembly tells in 1948, at the high point of the bloody Chinese civil war, a company leader of the communist-led Liberation Army was ordered to command 47 men to defend a position four at least four hours. They would be able to retreat once they heard the assembly call. The call never came and everyone except the company leader died. Then he spent many years to search for the reason he never heard the assembly call and to prove all his men died like real heroes.

DVD Release - 5th May

ASSEMBLY' Official Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VG1DrvN4rE&NR=1

This is 3min battle sequence from opening of the movie. Enjoy!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=usHvoSCTD38

Official Site - http://assembly.hbpictures.com/english/index.html (Took a while to load)

So, has anybody seen this yet? I saw the trailer for it on The Counterfeiters dvd I watched yesterday and it aroused my interest since I already have Brotherhood and because I've just returned from China over a week ago.  Worth watching?

Also, has anybody heard or seen this, ?

It stars Woody Harrelson and is apparently a documentary film based on the 1937 massacre of the Chinese by the Japanese at Nanjing.  I'm currently very interested in this event - I'm reading the book The Rape of Nanking and I also visited the memorial hall while I was in Nanjing so it's very much at the forefront of my thoughts right now.  We noticed this dvd while in a hostel in China but never got the chance to watch it - I was intrigued by Woody Harrelson being in it though.   Anybody got any information on it or should I just buy it myself and see?

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Chopper)
Post #: 107
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 10/9/2008 3:40:00 PM   
filmburner30

Orson Welles No less called this "The Greatest War Film Ever made"
Peckinpah's last masterpiece is a lost classic   

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 108
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 10/9/2008 5:49:05 PM   
Taffy

Ah yes, it is indeed a classic. Steiner!!!!!!

(in reply to filmburner30)
Post #: 109
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 13/10/2008 11:38:08 PM   
Sway

I watched 9th Company for the first time yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Based on a company of soliders in the Soviet forces heading into Afghanistan, it follows their progress from their time in boot camp through to their experience of the Afghan war.  To be honest I'm a little disappointed and surprised it hasn't recieved more coverage and/or better reviews.  Empire's review makes it sound a little mediocre concluding that it ultimately says 'War is hell here too', but in any war film there's only so much you can do with reoccuring themes; war is hell, war forms strong bonds between men, war pits men against other men like themselves, war is fruitless etc so I don't think this should have been marked down simply for reiterating what most war films conclude.  Particularly because the 'here' happens to be in Afghanistan in 1988, and as much as I love WWI/II and 'Nam films, I equally love war films with battles a little less 'popularised' in the media. 

More than that, the film should be taken on it's own merits and it really is cracking - there is some lovely cinematography (not sure if they did genuinely shoot in the likes of Uzbekistan and Afghanistan though), the scenery shots are enchanting and as with most war films, there are a few innovative shots of war in action.  The cameraderie and bond between the men is something which is clearly emphasised, aswell as the odd cliched antagonism resulting from class differences.  Clearly nothing will ever beat Band of Brothers (heck, it's in the title) for showing the sort of bond between men in war, but this film manages to demonstrate it well, and in my mind beats the likes of Saints and Soldiers and When Trumpets Fade in these stakes.

Naturally there are a few drawbacks - the running time mainly.   Some of it drags on unnecessarily and while the cinematography can be stunning, it leaves less of an impact when you're subjected to it perhaps a little too much.  There are several cliches peppered throughout the film - the company's nutjob of a CO for example, but they're forgiven once you truly get into the film.

Anyway I'd definitely recommend this if anybody is looking for a change of scenery in their war film, but wants to know they can count on it for doing what a war film does best; showing us war is hell no matter how you say it.

< Message edited by Sway -- 13/10/2008 11:47:15 PM >

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Taffy)
Post #: 110
RE: The War Film Thread - 25/10/2008 3:58:28 PM   
Mason Verger

Today at 5.15pm on Five.

Ike: Countdown to D-Day (2004) (TV)

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 111
RE: The War Film Thread - 29/10/2008 1:10:30 PM   
The Scientist

A wartime asylum film, little known but brilliant.  

I am not a ninja but am under hynosis.

Post #: 112
RE: The War Film Thread - 29/10/2008 1:36:45 PM   
benny the jet

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Scientist

A wartime asylum film, little known but brilliant.  

Love this film- starts off very silly and gets darker and darker. Reminded me of M*A*S*H and Jacob's Ladder which is quite an odd combination

That means we only have thirty minutes to get you up that tree

I fucking love tea. Its my favourite drink after coffee and alcohol

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=585511933

(in reply to The Scientist)
Post #: 113
RE: The War Film Thread - 3/11/2008 8:57:55 PM   
Sway

Finally got round to watching this old classic and I thoroughly enjoyed it - it's a complete (and to steal a phrase I do believe Timon would use) boy's own adventure, complete with capers, wit, war action, and a completely off-the-wall fruitcake.  Seriously, Donald Sutherland's character was brilliantly bizarre - I'm almost slightly disappointed that they named him appropriately.

The spirit of the film has made me want to watch the Guns of Navarone again!

< Message edited by Sway -- 3/11/2008 8:58:59 PM >

(in reply to benny the jet)
Post #: 114
RE: The War Film Thread - 4/11/2008 3:52:19 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I used to love Kelly's Heroes but it lost some appeal after a few watches. Sutherland is the best thing in it, just brilliant, they should have made a film just about him! Love the song as well. 

Much more better!

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 115
RE: The War Film Thread - 4/11/2008 12:57:20 PM   
Sway

Aw, well I hope it doesn't lose it's appeal to me on subsequent watches.  Haha, I just looked at that poster I posted again and it made me chuckle.  What an absolute fruitcake! I love it! It's so bizarre because I can't ever imagine Keifer managing to pull off such a laid back, hippyish, headcase like his dad did so well here. 

Post #: 116
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 4/11/2008 2:17:26 PM   
Timon

"All the burning bridges that have fallen after me
All the lonely feelings and the burning memories
Everyone I left behind each time I closed the door
Burning bridges lost forevermore"

God bless The Mike Curb Congregation

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 117
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 30/11/2008 3:34:22 PM   
Sway

Just watched Kokoda: 39th Battalion this afternoon, and despite what I thought was bit of a jarring start to the film I ended up getting quite into it by the end. The film is based on an advanced group of volunteer Australian soldiers who have been sent to Papa New Guinea in order to defend the Kokoda trail from the Japanese - the trail essentially being the Japanese's direct route to being able to invade Australia. 

This might sound like a criticism but I think the film's best point is the running time.  At 92 minutes long (or short, if you will) it doesn't drag itself on unnecessarily and manages to quite succinctly develop the characters, aswell follow a straightforward plot without having to get tangled up in slow subplots or digressions, within such a short space of time.  It's only a 15, but there are some quite brutal moments and some of the camerawork is cleverly done to make you feel like you're seeing more than you actually are. 

One genuis of the film is the decision not to show the enemy's faces.  All throughout the film you can see the japanese in their uniform and usually always covered in foliage for camoflage and despite seeing them face-on a number of times, their faces are usually always obscured by heavy foliage at the helmet and general head area - it only serves to make the 'enemy' more terrifying.   As bit of a history geek, I've read quite a few books on the Japanese in WWII and their brutality is very clearly displayed within this film - it's truly astonishing.

Anyway I'd certainly recommend this film to my fellow war nuts out there.  Just don't be put off by the first 10 minutes as I almost was when I thought it was going to be a ludicrous and entirely cheesey film!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 118
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 30/11/2008 7:04:50 PM   
Timon

I have that film! I thought I was the only one had seen it.

I got it free when I was working in the BBC History dept and a preview disc of it was sent to us to review... so I just took it. Enjoyable movie.

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 119
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 30/11/2008 7:17:17 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I have that film! I thought I was the only one had seen it.

I got it free when I was working in the BBC History dept and a preview disc of it was sent to us to review... so I just took it. Enjoyable movie.

Yeah, I actually happened to skim back through the thread after I'd made that post and seen that you made a short post on it yourself, but I think it was before you'd actually watched it.  You shoulda mentioned it to me! It is a very enjoyable movie.

Anyways the following is my wee collection I have going for myself now; if anybody can suggest any futher recommendations then I'd be up for hearing about them!  They're not all war films in the traditional sense, the likes of Dr Strangelove just deals with war themes.

Patton
Tigerland
Tora!Tora!Tora!
The Thin Red Line
Courage Under Fire
Behind Enemy Lines
12 o' Clock High
Guns of Navarone
Von Ryan's Express
The Great Escape
Stalingrad
Flags of our Fathers
Letters from Iwo Jima
Downfall
The Grey Zone
Assembly
Good Morning Vietnam
Jarhead
9th Company
Kokoda: 39th Battalion
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Apocalypse Now
Rescue Dawn
Three Kings
Redacted
Assembly
Days of Glory
All Quiet on the Western Front
Dr Strangelove
Hamburger Hill
Stalingrad
Kelly's Heroes
A Bridge Too Far
Enemy At the Gates
When Trumpets Fade
Saints and Soliders
The Longest Day
Brotherhood

The Dirty Dozen
Gallipoli
Tunnel Rats
Guadalcanal Diary
Ice Cold in Alex
We Were Soldiers

< Message edited by Sway -- 26/3/2009 1:19:39 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The War Film Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI