Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 28/7/2007 10:02:45 PM   
DazDaMan

I'm quite intrigued to see Saints and Soldiers now, especially since it's a low(ish)-budget job as well.  Makes me wonder whether a film like the one I've had in mind for ages could be made on a similar scale....

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 61
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 29/7/2007 6:17:58 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Is Heaven and Earth by Oliver Stone any good? Just rented it......................................................

Its quite good, doesn't desrve to be so bashed by critics.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 62
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 12/9/2007 11:00:56 PM   
Timon

Here's a very under-rated film that barely anyone has heard of despite it's strong cast.

UPRISING

Along the lines of Conspiracy that the BBC made a few years back, Uprising is a US-produced made for TV movie that tells the story of the Polish-Jewish resistance in the Warsaw Ghetto.

It's got David Schwimmer, Hank Azaria, Donald Sutherland, Jon Voight, Cary Elwes, Sadie Frost and Leelee Siobiski.

It's very good if a little uneven in the way it jumps around a lot from the various groups around the ghetto as well as outside the ghetto walls but well worth a watch.

I picked the 2 disc set up for a fiver years ago so i can only imagine how cheap it is now. Well worth a blind buy.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 63
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 13/9/2007 6:40:24 PM   
DazDaMan

I ordered Saints and Soldiers a couple of weeks back - still not got it yet.... 

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 64
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 20/9/2007 9:27:04 AM   
DazDaMan

Arrived yesterday....!! 

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 65
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 20/9/2007 9:39:14 AM   
Timon

Is it pretty? I've put it on my birthday wish list so hopefully someone will get it for me.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 66
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 20/9/2007 5:35:53 PM   
JagLover

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Here's a very under-rated film that barely anyone has heard of despite it's strong cast.UPRISING

It is a decent film though the battles depicted do rely on the German official casualty reports being wrong in order to be historically accurate.

As I mentioned elsewhere however it does minimise the suffering of non-jewish poles. Perhaps they should have added a coda at the end mentioning that the rest of the city rose up 6 months later only to be brutally crushed with tens of thousands civilians killed and practically the whole city destroyed.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 67
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 27/9/2007 7:22:43 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Uprising sounds quite interesting.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rafer Janders

Not heard of this one before:

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3359812/The-Fallen/Product.html

I saw this earlier today. It takes place in Italy in 1944. German soldiers are awaiting the arrival of Italian troops to help reinforce their position in remote woodland, yet are on edge becasue of the advancing American army and a groop of Italian resistence that is surrounding them. Meanwhile, an American supply unit is tasked with delivering ammunition to their colleagues on route to the German camp.We spend a fair amount of time with all 3 armies.

Considering the poster and DVD quotes (Saving Private Ryan but even better) and the numerous awards it won and film festivals I was expecting something worthwhile. I was disappointed. There is very little actual warfare, and that's all well and good but when you're spending so much time with these soldiers it needs to engage, and it failed to do so. I can appreciate what is was trying to do - show us the war from various points of view and focusing on the human and emotional side rather than grand battle scenes - it just never succeded. Fights between the Italian and Germans over food rations, a rendevous with some Italian farmers, leaning how to conceal mines from enemie troops, nothing wrong with any of this at all but is showing us the mundane trivialness of their daily lives, it lacked any urgency or true emotion, becoming almost mundance itself. It's only been a few hours since I saw it and I'm struggling to recall just what happened.

It was obviously made on a small budget so is somewhat limited in scope, but it doesn't come close to films like Saints & Soldiers in showing us the horrors of war or successfully portraying the emotional toil on the soldiers (and even disregarding Private Ryan's battle scenes, it's a long way from matching the human drama in that film either) 2/5 is a bit harsh for me, especially as it really isn't a bad film, it just could have been a lot more.

I also saw Paul Verhoeven's Black Book recently, Perhaps not quite so unknown but I thoughy I'd mention it. Wonderful film, gripping throughout with very good performances, particularly from Carice Van Houten.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 68
The War Film Thread - 29/9/2007 8:36:57 PM   
Mason Verger

Hell In The Pacific is on BBC2 tonight at 12.00, but it's probably the version with the studio changed ending.

http://www.dvdcult.com/rev_HellPac.htm

The 1999 region 1 DVD includes the original unspoilt ending.  

< Message edited by Mason Verger -- 12/2/2008 1:02:57 PM >

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 69
RE: The War Film thread - 19/10/2007 10:34:50 PM   
Timon

I just watched Gallipoli for the first time tonight - excellent film and I'm suprised Mark Lee didn't go on to bigger things. Emotional ending though I think the final shot was copied in a WWI film I saw a while ago called The Trench.

Twas made in '99 and had a cast of unknowns some of whom have gone on to bigger things such as Daniel Craig, Cillian Murphy and um.....Danny Dyer.

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 70
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 19/10/2007 10:41:10 PM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 71
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 20/10/2007 4:14:05 PM   
Cludgejudge

I have just seen the Director's cut of the early 80's movie, the Big Red One and was blown away. What an amazing performance by Lee Marvin. I had been warned off this movie in the past due to its episodic and fragmented pacing, but it won me over.

(in reply to Timmy_Brisby_05)
Post #: 72
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 22/10/2007 3:21:59 PM   
mafyou

Could someone recommend me some war films that are set in or around WWI. I've not been the biggest war film fan but recently i've wanted to see some but i've not got much of an idea after All Quiet On The Wetern Front. Ta.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Cludgejudge)
Post #: 73
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 23/10/2007 6:44:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

Could someone recommend me some war films that are set in or around WWI. I've not been the biggest war film fan but recently i've wanted to see some but i've not got much of an idea after All Quiet On The Wetern Front. Ta.

Aces High, Paths Of Glory, The African Queen, Sergeant York and The Trench are worth seeking out. 

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 74
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 18/1/2008 3:37:28 PM   
Timon

I'm going to 'big up' the two big war films of 2008, that quite frankly, I think need more attention - Defiance and Valkyrie.

Click on the images for more.

< Message edited by Timon -- 18/1/2008 3:38:52 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 75
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 19/1/2008 11:44:06 PM   
Mozza

As I walked through HMV today, I couldn't help but notice that Flyboys AND the Saints & Soldiers special edition were in their 3 for 20 deal!

I'm about to watch S&S for the first time, I'll get back to you.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 76
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 20/1/2008 6:23:45 PM   
Mozza

So I finished watching Saints and Soldiers, and I enjoyed it; it was excellently made for a $1,000,000 budget, although the whole religious aspect didn't sit well with me.

Flyboys tomorrow night I think.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 77
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 21/1/2008 4:40:23 PM   
Timon

So what did you think of Flyboys? It's not as bad as everyone (the box office/critics) say is it? Sure it has problems (running through No-Man's land/drawn out love story etc) but I think it's good fun.

I think my review is on Page 3 or something.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 78
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 21/1/2008 6:15:48 PM   
Mozza

I've not watched it yet.  And anything (yes, even The Da Vinci Code) with Jean Reno can't be that bad.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 79
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 22/1/2008 8:31:40 AM   
Mozza

So, Flyboys.  Defeinitely at the other end of the war movie spectrum; lots of whizz-bangs, honour and boys own adventuring that kinda reminded me a little of 633 squadron.  The romantic subplot did feel a mite tacked on for my liking, and certain actors were just plain annoying (not James Franco, who was OK, but the guy who ****SPOILERS!!!!****

Loses his hand.  I hated him so much.

But on the whole, worth the money.  The Zeppelin attack was my favourite.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 80
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 23/1/2008 12:48:13 PM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozza

So, Flyboys.  Defeinitely at the other end of the war movie spectrum; lots of whizz-bangs, honour and boys own adventuring that kinda reminded me a little of 633 squadron.  The romantic subplot did feel a mite tacked on for my liking, and certain actors were just plain annoying (not James Franco, who was OK, but the guy who ****SPOILERS!!!!****

Loses his hand.  I hated him so much.

But on the whole, worth the money.  The Zeppelin attack was my favourite.

Seconded! 

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 81
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 23/1/2008 12:53:20 PM   
Mojo

Okay, I've got a free rental voucher for my local down the road and am wondering whether Flyboys or The Great Raid are worth it, or should I use it on something else? I've been tempted by both for a while now, just wondering on people's thoughts on them especially the latter.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 82
RE: The War Film Thread - 12/2/2008 12:55:48 PM   
Mason Verger

Danger Within
Wednesday 13 February
1:00pm - 2:55pm
Channel 4
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052648/

Paths of Glory
Thursday 14 February
1:15pm - 2:55pm
Channel 4
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050825/

< Message edited by Mason Verger -- 12/2/2008 12:56:28 PM >

Post #: 83
RE: The War Film Thread - 13/2/2008 7:00:55 PM   
SN

I saw Come and See at the weekend - amazing film, one of the best war films (or films in any genre) I have seen. Only 8 from HMV so a must-buy in my humble opinion!    

Discover the secrets of the map...go to http://www.lulu.com/content/294457 and download the epic fantasy novel 'The Map of the Known World' for FREE!

Post #: 84
RE: The War Film Thread - 14/2/2008 2:10:53 PM   
Goa.Dragon

You're right, Come And See is a fantastic movie, and should be seen by everyone. I'm not gonna buy it, though, it's a bit too harrowing for me to want to watch more than once every two or three years!

When I was your age, television was called 'books'

(in reply to SN)
Post #: 85
Penns acting Zenith - 14/2/2008 4:11:38 PM   
Sledge Hammer

A acting tour de force from Mr Madonna - 'I ain't no VC'

Even Marty McFly is good in this and its supposedly Tarantinos fave Nam Movie.

It was also the last great film that DePalma made....rent it today

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to HitchHiker)
Post #: 86
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 1/4/2008 2:01:29 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Limited Special Edition Steel Tin Packaging
Disc 1: All new actor's feature commentary
All new military advisor's commentary
Director's commentary
The Making of Saints & Soldiers
Disc 2: "Massacre at Malmady" - an original History Channel documentary tracing the tragic events that inspired this powerful and acclaimed film

Nice!
I'll be getting that. Wil go nicely next to my Band of Brothers tin

I finally got this today! 6 in Fopp. Cheaper on Amazon marketplace but I was kicking around the town centre and bought it on impulse.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 87
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 8/4/2008 12:56:24 PM   
Timon

I just got a demo/check disc for this film - KOKODA

Apparently it's about a bitter battle fought between Australian and Japanese soldiers along the Kokoda trail in New Guinea during World War II.

Anyone seen it?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 88
RE: War Films - 9/4/2008 11:54:20 AM   
Timon

Looks like we could be getting an WWII/D-Day film but on a smaller scale. A sort of Normandy 'Zulu'.

FilmCrest and Kid Gloves Productions have acquired a script from writer Rick Parks based on Robert M. Murphy's book "No Better Place to Die."

The story centers around the battle for the La Fiere Bridge during the D-Day Invasion of World War II when a small group of 82nd Airborne American Paratroopers held off the German army for three days.

Doug Stebleton is producing with David Williams executive producing.

Parks ("Sweet Home Alabama") is repped by New Wave Entertainment and attorney Lev Ginsburg.

You can read more about the battle - HERE

While this sounds great, I was reading about a similar battle but it involved British troops during the Dunkirk invasion. It's known today as the Le Paradis Massacre and is essentially a Last Stand for the Royal Norfolk Regiment against the SS. I think if the British Film Council commissioned a script and put some money behind it, this could be fantastic. This or an epic retelling of The Raid on St. Nazaire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Paradis_massacre

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 89
RE: The War Film Thread - 10/4/2008 3:58:39 PM   
Mason Verger

This weekend FREE inside the Mail on Sunday: A DVD of Return from ...

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI