Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 20/4/2007 10:10:25 PM   
Art Vandelay

Finally got around to viewing Saints And Soldiers, and really enjoyed it. On such a small budget, you've gotta be impressed on what they've put together. For me, one of the best War films of recent years.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 31
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 20/4/2007 11:01:23 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gothzilla

Well Ive just bought the best war film ever made. and its NOT Saving Private Ryan !! In fact it kicks the crap out of SPR on almost every level. For a start its not full of American gung ho and its cast are so belevable you forget they are actors. The plot is better, its far more heartbreaking, its even more realistic, its better paced, its brutal Oh FFS its just better Ok.
The film is called Brotherhood. Its Korean ( subtitled of course ) and is possibly the greatest foreign movie Ive seen this year.
I really cannot tell you how much I love this movie. At the moment HMV have a fantastic 2 disc edition packed with docs and featurettes for the stupidly low price of £5. Please watch this film.

Amen brother. It's awesome and I'm not ashamed to admit tears were streaming down my face for the last 10 mins. I don't care if some people say it's melodramatic.

There's a thread on it in World Cinema if you're interested.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 32
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 21/4/2007 2:41:25 AM   
Gothzilla

yep its the first film for years that made me want to cry. Awesome movie. Thanks for the tip about the other thread. Off to check it out now.

It can't rain all the time.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 33
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 21/4/2007 3:27:51 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Brotherhood is very good indeed although I do prefer Saving Private Ryan. Of the two, I find Ryan the more emotional. 

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 21/4/2007 3:29:47 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 34
RE: Unknown War Films - 9th Company - 30/4/2007 3:39:12 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Ok, who else is going to try and see 9TH COMPANY?

EMPIRE REVIEW

9th Company (TBC)

Plot
In 1987, four young Soviet men are recruited into the army to fight in the ongoing war with Afghanistan. They will join the legendary 9th Company, and after a brutal training regime, will partake of the last major battle, operation Magistral.

Empire Review

Fyodor Bondarchuk has made good with his debut feature, a story of not-quite-yet-men drawn into one of the toughest units in the Soviet Army. Set in 1987, the tail end of Russiaís conflict with Afghanistan, the timing of this project is impressive ó images of ill-prepared young soldiers searching desert caves provides a modern parallel, while an officer reminds us that no-one has ever won a war against this enemy.

It looks big-budget (impressively it cost just $9 million), but despite some highly effective set-pieces, screenwriter Yuri Korotkov works it on an emotional level. That said, it doesnít bring much to this genre that we havenít seen before.
Verdict
Full of good intentions and scattered with more than a few gob-smacking scenes, this could have really taken it to Hollywood if only it had a little more to say than "war is hell here too."

Reviewer: Sam Toy

3 stars.

Just curious, did anyone get to see this? Thoughts? Impressions? Was going to get the upcoming DVD.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/9th-company.html

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 35
RE: Unknown War Films - 9th Company - 16/5/2007 8:18:19 PM   
Taffy

Cracking thread, will def check out all the recommendations, and for those interested the brotherhood is now only £3.99 on HMV, a frikkin steal......

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 36
RE: Unknown War Films - 9th Company - 16/5/2007 8:40:13 PM   
Lydia_H

I've had 9th Company for ages but haven't watched it yet, I was so excited about it, I'll have to watch it soon

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to Taffy)
Post #: 37
RE: Unknown War Films - 9th Company - 18/5/2007 1:40:32 AM   
Lydia_H

I watched it but sadly it's a big disappointment, I only gave it 5/10. Although there is so much promise it's too polished and stylized, with no thoughts to realism, and about half way through the director realizes he has a big list of cliches that he'd been ignor and tries to tick them off as quickly as possible. Whilst the first half, the training, shows great promise and is quite involving, with charming performances, the whole thing collapses once the action gets going, all the soldiers pretty much disappear and reappear at random, the fighting is pretty laughable with lots of posing and no coherance, it's all very confusing, it's more like some posse milling about

It's a shame because they had so much in terms of scale with spectacular scenery and tons of massive Russian tanks and helicoptors and planes, all very impressive. It all turns into a big mess, I really wanted to love the film since it's Russian and it's about time wars like these were covered in cinema.

Also they fudge in a female character called Snow White whose only function is to shag literally every single soldier they send to Afghanistan, it's ridiculous and I was offended. Then they have a scene where they're told how muslim women are treat like sub human

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 38
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 18/5/2007 9:57:13 AM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Brotherhood is very good indeed although I do prefer Saving Private Ryan. Of the two, I find Ryan the more emotional. 

Paths of Glory pisses on both from a great height...

Sure, it may be Kubrick, but in many ways it's Kubrick's least known film. Here's a stock review I wrote some time ago...

When a director of the stature of Stanley Kubrick dies unexpectedly, film critics and audiences are forced, even if many were critical of what they considered a cold and unemotional filmmaking style, to recognise how much modern-day cinema owes to him. Whilst he only made 11 feature length films in 33 years, each bestows an undeniable quality in style, story-telling, impact and imagery which few other directorís today, or even beforehand, possessed. In many ways he was unique, indeed more fortunate than the similarly talented Orson Welles (each shared considerable technical and visual skill), by having enough clout to make the intelligent films he wanted to make, without compromising his stoic vision for the interfering hands of Hollywood studios.

Paths of Glory is one of Kubrickís lesser known works, although it is perhaps one of his greatest cinematic achievements. An undeniable classic about the barbarity and ridiculousness of war, it is very much the equal of his similarly themed Full Metal Jacket, and knocks the spots off most recent offerings featuring anti-war motifs (usually stuffed down the audiences throats with their overt imagery and symbolism) such as Platoon and The Thin Red Line. Unclouded by the essential pessimism or colder fascination with the logistics of film-making that featured in later works, Paths of Glory has a simplicity about it that renders its argument as powerful today as it was in 1957. Combined with a deliciously dark and biting script (throughout Kubrickís films runs the craft of a comedy genius) and a technical nous that produces a visually engaging film, it is also perhaps the most easily accessible and enjoyable of all his movies.

Safe in their picturesque chateau many miles behind the front lines of war ravaged France in 1916, the French General Staff pass down a direct order to Colonel Dax (Kirk Douglas) - take the heavily fortified Ant Hill, at any cost. A blatant suicide mission, the attack is doomed to failure when half of Dax's men are unable to make it out of the trench due to the presence of heavy German fire. Covering up their fatal blunder, the Generals order the arrest of three innocent soldiers, charging them with cowardice and mutiny to set an example to the rest of the troops for the Ant Hill debacle. Dax, a lawyer in civilian life, rises to his men's defence but realises that unless he can prove the Generals' culpability for an ill-conceived attack in the first place, nothing less than a miracle will save the three men from the firing squad.

A simple premise, but a powerful one in the hands of a master craftsman. The clever title, originally taken from a Thomas Gray poem that reads ďthe paths of glory lead but to the grave,Ē is indicative of the message Kubrick wishes to highlight. Representative of the ambition and success of the generals in command, it is the avenues to self-advancement they seek, with the utmost indifference to the fate of the men in the trenches, that provides the films underlying theme regarding military incompetence. The issue is handled in a refrained and subtle way, allowing the script to play out logically without ever feeling the need to dabble in trite sentimentality or unnecessary exploitation. From the brilliant choice to shoot the film in black and white (thus giving a gritty, darker feel to the entire story, and refraining from sugar-coating the hellish experience of trench warfare), to the effective use of zoom-ins, to the short poignant dialogues and the generally minimalist approach to the anti-war message of the screenplay - it all mixes together incredibly well. Kubrick could have spent hours of celluloid on the finer illogical points of military court martial trials, as well as elaborating on the horrors behind the deluded decision making preceding battle. Instead he wrapped the total package in a fast-paced 87 minutes that doesnít miss a beat. A film doesnít need to be three hours long in order to be profound.

Of course, Paths of Glory is suitably aided and packed to the brim with other aspects that make it a masterpiece. The battle sequences early on are visually stunning and fluid. The long tracking shots through the trenches as General Mireau (George MacReady) does a routine inspection are exceptional, as is the attack when the troops are caught in No Manís Land. The lavish living of the Generalís in their Chateauís is perfectly captured, a suitable antithesis to the hell on earth of the trenches. There are small images that capture the ridiculous nature of the attack that need few words - the use of binoculars allowing the military command to look on the horrifying consequences of their orders without suffering the moral responsibility of physical involvement, contrasted with Dax stuck in the middle of No Manís Land with the Ant Hill still seeming an impossible target to reach, with his men dying all around him. The build up to the attack on the Ant Hill and the possible executions later are exceptional examples of taught direction. They provide a masterly unnerving and tense atmosphere which tells us everything, and more, of what Kubrick wants the audience to understand.

There are many memorable scenes. The kangaroo court is expertly played out by all and features some ripe dialogue that should raise a knowing smile. The priestís trite comments as he administers the last rites to those expecting execution are also quintessentially hilarious, albeit in a shocking way. It isnít too fanciful to say that Dr Strangelove, which mined the same themes but turned them into farce, isnít a million of miles away from Paths of Glory. Mireau and General Broulard (Adolphe Menjou) actually seem only one step away from the wheelchair bound, nazi saluting Dr Strangelove (or even Blackadderís General Melchiot). Indeed every scene that MacReady and Menjou fill is a pure delight. Their scenes spark with a misplaced frivolity at odds with the men on the front. Calculating and malicious, devious yet charming, they take great delight in espousing the wondrous, darkly refined dialogue placed before them. Lines like ďthere are few things more fundamentally stimulating than watching another man die,Ē are simply dynamite. Add to this a uniformly excellent Kurt Douglas as the bewildered Dax, an understated presence as a soldier never left to indulge in self-pity or bleed his heart over the injustice being done to his men, and a quality supporting cast (featuring Ralph Meeker, Joe Turkel and Timothy Carey as the condemned men) and you have the veritable icing on the cake.

In almost every film Kubrick made, it was the frailties of the human condition faced with an often ridiculous and dangerously exploitative system that were Kubrickís main concern. Paths of Glory is possibly his most emotional film (to which the ending will testify, a rare glimpse of humanity) and thatís why it remains one of his best, if not one of the best within the entirety of the war film genre.

Overall Ė In a career that spanned across some fifty years, Stanley Kubrick made many masterpieces. Maybe we should start considering whether Paths of Glory is his masterpiece amongst masterpieces. A classic which is enjoyable, shocking, sad and funny, beautifully rendered and, most importantly of all, will make you a better person for having watched it.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 39
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 18/5/2007 11:59:34 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Paths Of Glory is superb. Fantastic review, Clownie

(I do prefer SPR though. Sorry!)

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 40
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 18/5/2007 12:08:53 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

Finally got round to watching Saints and Soldiers about a week ago. It's a pretty decent war film with some nice touches. I'd give it 3 stars, personally.

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

Post #: 41
RE: Saints And Soldiers & Other Unknown War Films - 20/5/2007 9:03:40 AM   
adamdavidsmith

Went the Day Well?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 42
RE: Saints And Soldiers & Other Unknown War Films - 1/6/2007 11:49:06 AM   
Timon

Well I'm off to see FLYBOYS tonight!

After flopping in the US, it's finally been released over here but in 19 cinemas! Luckily my Cineworld is showing it so I'm off to see it before it's pulled due to lacklustre reviews (2 stars from Empire, 3 from Total Film).

Still really want to see 9th Company as well despite Lydia's damming review.

(in reply to adamdavidsmith)
Post #: 43
RE: Saints And Soldiers & Other Unknown War Films - 2/6/2007 9:49:46 AM   
Timon

Well, I saw it and really enjoyed it. Of course, it's not the best film ever but I will say this, it was a hell of a lot more entertaining than the lacklustre Spider-man III.

Flyboys was a flop in the US after costing 60 million but only taking 12 million. As many reviews have said, it is hard to know what audience the film-makers were aiming at and it seems like they're trying to hit every demographic with something for everyone. Because of this, the film ends out being a tad ridiculous and overlong but still great fun.

I while back I mused whether it was possible to make a 'Boy's Own' war film anymore. A film where war is made to look really easy and quite fun a la Where Eagles Dare, The Great Escape and The Dirty Dozen. Flyboys, I was suprised to see, is the closest thing to these films I've seen in a long time. While it has it's serious and brutal moments it also has some of the most ridiculous things I've seen in a while that you wouldn't see in a 'serious' war film - one man dashes across No Man's Land, slamming the brakes on a biplane and ripping of an German fokker's wings with your undercarriage etc.

The thing is though, in a summer full of sequels where the same old thing is brought on to the big screen but with more bells and whistles (apart from Transformers), it's refreshing to see something that one hasn't seen on the big screen before. These days there are very few films about The Great War and even fewer with biplanes attacking zepplins and personally it's something I'd like to see more often. Of course, it's probably not the most realistic dogfights in the world (think Top Gun in Sopwith Camels) but christ it's fun and stunning to look at. In a summer where Spiderman 3 cost 250million, it was astounding to see that Flyboys made my jaw hit the ground more with the quality of the FX and innovation in the dog fighting scenes. They were simply stunning. Forget Sandman, for me you can't beat the sight of a dozen 'Huns' coming out of the sun and engaging an Allied air squadron. Amazing.

As I said, it IS overlong and rather cliche ridden. You have the bog standard, cut and paste bunch of pilots - the one with a shady past, the one with something to prove, the coward, the pompous ass etc and the love story goes on FAR too long with some ill conceived ideas (the horse riding scene) and some of the costumes look a little too clean and ironed but apart from that, Flyboys is not worthy of the critical mauling it's taken.

James Franco must be wondering if he's cursed because apart from the Spiderman series, his films have generally disappeared without a trace - Flyboys, The Great Raid,  Tristan + Isolde (which I liked) and Annapolis. Here he does a sound performance as Rawlings the 'Maverick' of the Lafayette Escadrille but it's really Martin Henderson who's the star of the film as Cassidy the vetran of the war who's seen friends come and go and is simply out to deal out his own brand of justice in the air. Jean Reno phones in his performance but seeing as the man can do nothing wrong in my eyes - he's great.

On the whole, a decent enough film although one that doesn't know when to end. Spectacular set pieces but cliched sub plots makes Flyboys a solid film for the summer but one I feel will be out of the cinemas by the end of the week.

3.5/5

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 44
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 19/6/2007 6:33:53 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

The Great Raid is definitely worth tracking down, especially knowing how much you love your "based on a true story" tales of war heroics!

I've just found it for 18.49 on CDwow. The 2 disc Director's Cut Collectors Edition! Have been waiting for it to be a reasonable price for fucking ages.

Also just got the R1 5 Disc Flags Of Our Fathers/Letters From Iwo Jima set off Amazon marketplace for 23 quid. Bargain! Wish it had come in a tin though like the R2 4 discer....oh well.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 45
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 20/6/2007 12:10:53 PM   
Deviation

I disliked Saint and Soldiers, bad acting and an unspectacular climax all the way long, shame. Nothing to do with Band of Brothers.

The Bunker and Deathwatch are a bit underwhelming, but are qiute good horrors.

I really want to see Days of Glory and 9th Company.

Below is another great horror film.

The best mentioned here are Paths of Glory and Brotherhood. Never seen The Keep.

Are Hamburger Hill and Battle for Britian any good?

By the way, no mention of A Very Long Engagement?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 46
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 20/6/2007 2:09:07 PM   
Mozza

The keep is quite amazingly barmy.  I think that's all that can be said on it.

I enjoyed 9th Company as well, but I'm avoiding flyboys on a matter of principle.  World War I movies haven't been great in a long time (exception is Deathwatch, which I am quite partial to).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Clownfoot

I have nothing to add. Mozza rules...

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 47
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 20/6/2007 2:46:53 PM   
Mojo

I really wanted to see Flyboys but I couldn't find it being shown anywhere.

Can't wait to see Rescue Dawn with Christian Bale, saw the trailer for it and it gave me shivers all over.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 48
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 20/6/2007 2:49:12 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozza

The keep is quite amazingly barmy.† I think that's all that can be said on it.

I enjoyed 9th Company as well, but I'm avoiding flyboys on a matter of principle.† World War I movies haven't been great in a long time (exception is Deathwatch, which I am quite partial to).

I think you should give Flyboys a chance, I did and was pleasantly suprised and The Great War in my opinion needs more cinematic screentime.

< Message edited by Timon -- 20/6/2007 2:58:04 PM >

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 49
RE: Future & Unknown War Films - 27/6/2007 9:16:12 AM   
Timon

New war films alert!

William Wisher (Terminator 2: Judgment Day) has been set by 20th Century Fox to write and produce Escape of The Pacific Clipper, says Variety.

The film is a fact-based adventure about a race to get a Boeing B-314 back from New Zealand after the attack on Pearl Harbor in WWII.

Wisher did uncredited writing work for Fox on Die Hard with a Vengeance and Live Free or Die Hard and he is an executive producer on the latter. He most recently scripted Pilgrim, a contemporary Middle East espionage drama, which John Moore will direct for Endgame.

In "Pacific Clipper," a ragtag crew of 11 is ordered to take the aircraft, which had just dropped passengers in New Zealand when Pearl Harbor occurred, to Hong Kong. When they arrive and discover that Hong Kong has been overrun by the Japanese, the crew is ordered by Pan Am chief Juan Trippe to fly a secret mission around the world. The U.S. did not want the design to fall into the hands of the enemy. The secret mission soon becomes public, and the crew races against the Japanese and Nazis to make it home.

Sounds great fun.

Another war film on the horizon is a bit more fantasy based. Think Castle Wolfenstein though as opposed to GI Joe.

LOST SQUAD!

When a mission is too weird for the U.S. Army, the brass calls in the Lost Squad! It's 1942 - and the seemingly unstoppable Wermarcht is on the march. As the Nazis swallow more and more of Europe, Hitler's scientists perfect a mechanism that could guarantee his ultimate victory! The U.S. Army has only one place to turn to stop this from happening: the mysterious unit known as the Lost Squad! It's the Dirty Dozen by way of the "X-Files" - weird war tales created for a new audience!

Stephen St. Leger and James Mather will write and direct The Lost Squad for Rogue Pictures, says The Hollywood Reporter. Adrian Askarieh and Daniel Alter are producing.

"Squad" is based on a Devil's Due comic written by Chris Kirby and drawn by Alan Robinson. The miniseries revolved around the supernatural action-adventures of a squad of U.S. soldiers who take on weird missions during World War II, fighting Adolf Hitler's occult agents and other threats.

Devil's Due Josh Blaylock is co-producing.

There's an article all about the comic series - here

Looks great fun. Like the beginning of Hellboy when the army storms the Nazi's occult plans on the Scottish isles. Could be the nearest thing, we see to a Wolfenstein film, which would also be great.

< Message edited by Timon -- 27/6/2007 9:36:39 AM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 50
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 27/6/2007 12:23:04 PM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozza

The keep is quite amazingly barmy.  I think that's all that can be said on it.

I enjoyed 9th Company as well, but I'm avoiding flyboys on a matter of principle.  World War I movies haven't been great in a long time (exception is Deathwatch, which I am quite partial to).

I think you should give Flyboys a chance, I did and was pleasantly suprised and The Great War in my opinion needs more cinematic screentime.

I've been wanting to see this for a while - some members on an aviation forum were lucky enough to be involved in some of the flying aspects.

Most of my war films are aviation-orientated, and a clear favourite has to be:

Along a similar vein to Pearl Harbor but on a much smaller budget - and a hundred times better!  Anyone else seen this?

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 51
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 27/6/2007 12:28:49 PM   
Timon

You'll definately like this thread;

Favourite Fighter Pilot Films!

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 52
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 27/6/2007 8:20:03 PM   
DazDaMan

I'm there.... 

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 53
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 28/6/2007 5:24:44 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I saw Flyboys and thought it was an ok 3 star effort. The flying scenes are good quality and would most likely be a WW1 fighter fan' s wet dream. However I didn't find any of the characters that engaging, and even though the film didn't shy away completely from the more violent aspects they didn't sit that comfortably with the general tone of the movie. Plus it was a touch overlong - overall worth a rental.

I full intend to watch 9th Company at the earliest opportunity however - as far as I know there haven't been that many movies on the Afghan war. I was watching Rambo 3 the other day and thinking about this - and I quite respected the way the highlighted the plight of the Afghans. Things like machine gunning and bombing of women and children did take place under the Soviets so it was good to see (even though it was an easy cold war target from Hollywood's point of view).

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 54
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 29/6/2007 1:27:33 PM   
Timon

I'm still waiting for my DVD of The Great Raid to show up. Ordered it from CDWOW on the 19th June and it's still 'pending'. Wanted to watch that this weekend.....

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 55
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 30/6/2007 8:55:35 PM   
captain jack harknes

100 greatest war films on Channel 4 at the moment

"The arctic has no respect for fashion, Vince"

"I ain't no one's trophy."

"You got it, Allison. You got it RAW!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 56
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 24/7/2007 8:52:18 AM   
Rafer Janders

Not heard of this one before:

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3359812/The-Fallen/Product.html

Plus this: http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3363012/Saints-And-Soldiers-Special-Edition-Steel-Tin-Packaging/Product.html   typical

< Message edited by Rafer Janders -- 24/7/2007 9:30:32 AM >

"You killed my horse you son of a bitch".

(in reply to captain jack harknes)
Post #: 57
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 24/7/2007 9:13:37 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rafer Janders

Plus this: http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3363012/Saints-And-Soldiers-Special-Edition-Steel-Tin-Packaging/Product.html†† typical

Limited Special Edition Steel Tin Packaging
Disc 1: All new actor's feature commentary
All new military advisor's commentary
Director's commentary
The Making of Saints & Soldiers
Disc 2: "Massacre at Malmady" - an original History Channel documentary tracing the tragic events that inspired this powerful and acclaimed film

Nice!
I'll be getting that. Wil go nicely next to my Band of Brothers tin

< Message edited by Timon -- 24/7/2007 9:19:45 AM >

(in reply to Rafer Janders)
Post #: 58
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 24/7/2007 3:41:43 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I'll certainly be getting it, what a great little film it is.

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 59
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 24/7/2007 3:44:42 PM   
Deviation

Is Heaven and Earth by Oliver Stone any good? Just rented it......................................................

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI