Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Great Raid - The Greatest War Film Never Seen

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Great Raid - The Greatest War Film Never Seen Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Great Raid - The Greatest War Film Never Seen - 30/4/2010 11:48:38 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

I thought The Great Raid was an excellent movie, with a good cast (even James Franco was watchable!).  More to the point, it told the true tale of what was, for me, a hitherto unknown war story (the Raid at Cabanatuan), where a small band went deep behind enemy lines to liberate 500 POWs from a Japanese camp.

Just watched it. I honestly believe it's The Greatest Modern War Film Never Seen.

I can't believe it never got a wide theatrical release, at least not in this country. I understand the problems Miramax and Disney were having, but this is a gem of a film and the cast has wide appeal - James Franco, Benjamin Bratt, Joseph Fiennes, Connie Nielsen, Craig McLachlan (of Neighbours and Bugs fame), Marton Csokas, the legend that is Dale Dye AND a pre-Avatar Sam Worthington!

I was recently reading about the occupation and the brutality caused by the Japanese in Manila, and although this film briefly touches on it, I thought the scenes featuring the Resistance were a nice addition to the main story about the raid on the camp.

Also, for what was a relatively cheap film (in the scale of things), it looked amazing and it's nice to see a modern day war film where you can see the action and what is happening, even if it is set at night something that some of the battles in The Pacific have failed in.

Plus it's nice to see the Fillipino guerrilas get some recognition.

I rented this from LoveFilm but I enjoyed it so much, I'm going to pick it up on R1 Collectors DVD. Strongly recommend for every war film fan and anyone that fancies seeing a decent Pacific theatre film that doesn't skimp on the brutality, but delivers up the action goods and isn't too po-faced (like To End All Wars).

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 331
RE: The Great Raid - The Greatest War Film Never Seen - 10/5/2010 12:15:42 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Just seen Windtalkers again. Been about 3 years since I last saw it, and I still don't think it's that bad.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 332
RE: The Great Raid - The Greatest War Film Never Seen - 11/5/2010 9:42:57 AM   
Timon

Metrodome have announced the UK DVD release of 'Axis Of War: The First Of August' for the 10th May, 2010. The film is the first in a three-part series that takes place during the Nanchang uprising of the Chinese Civil War in 1927. The cast includes Liu Jin, Hou Youg, Wu Waidong, and Zhang Zaixin.
Synopsis
The year is 1927 and the Alliance moves triumphantly from victory to victory in an epic and bloody civil war campaign against the uprisings of brutal warlords and feudal barons that has left the country on the brink of total collapse. With the nation’s fate hanging in the balance, a rebel revolt in the stronghold city of Nanchang threatens to give the insurgents the upper hand and as the first day of August dawns, the Alliance, led by some of the bravest soldiers and greatest tacticians the world has ever seen, face their deadliest and most monumental battle yet. Artwork and trailer are below, and you can preorder the DVD now from Amazon.co.uk.  

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 333
RE: The Great Raid - The Greatest War Film Never Seen - 11/5/2010 9:57:54 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Metrodome have announced the UK DVD release of 'Axis Of War: The First Of August' for the 10th May, 2010. The film is the first in a three-part series that takes place during the Nanchang uprising of the Chinese Civil War in 1927. The cast includes Liu Jin, Hou Youg, Wu Waidong, and Zhang Zaixin.
Synopsis
The year is 1927 and the Alliance moves triumphantly from victory to victory in an epic and bloody civil war campaign against the uprisings of brutal warlords and feudal barons that has left the country on the brink of total collapse. With the nation's fate hanging in the balance, a rebel revolt in the stronghold city of Nanchang threatens to give the insurgents the upper hand and as the first day of August dawns, the Alliance, led by some of the bravest soldiers and greatest tacticians the world has ever seen, face their deadliest and most monumental battle yet. Artwork and trailer are below, and you can preorder the DVD now from Amazon.co.uk.  

I saw this in the shop today. There seems to be a lot of these foregin war films with similar covers out at the moment. Is there a single company behind these releases?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 334
RE: The Great Raid - The Greatest War Film Never Seen - 11/5/2010 2:53:17 PM   
Timon

Just saw the trailer for this, which looks good.

It's the 'Oskar Schindler of the Nanking Massacre' if you will.

Based on a true story, John Rabe tells the story of a German businessman who rescued more than 200,000 civilians during the so—called “Nanking Massacre” in China. Drawing from John Rabe’s 1937 diaries as source material, Academy Award ® Winner Florian Gallenberger has crafted a portrait of a man revered as a saint in China to this day and yet never rewarded for his courage during his lifetime.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 335
RE: The Great Raid - The Greatest War Film Never Seen - 13/5/2010 1:04:43 PM   
Timon

Where the hell are all these war films coming from?!?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 336
RE: The Great Raid - The Greatest War Film Never Seen - 15/5/2010 2:51:53 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I was tempted to get this in Asda yesterday, but reading a bit more about it makes me glad I didn't. A TV movie based on a German film from 1959. But it was on a shelf with about 4 other war films that seem to have popped up from nowhere.

Anybody ever seen this.

A 1966 film about the German invasion of England. Even with the low budget, non-professional actors and poor dialogue it's a fascinating idea and an intriguing final film.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 337
RE: The Great Raid - The Greatest War Film Never Seen - 15/5/2010 1:28:47 PM   
Deviation

Anyone seen this? Trailer made it look great.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 338
RE: The Great Raid - The Greatest War Film Never Seen - 15/5/2010 8:45:25 PM   
hampstead bandit

MaxManus is a fantastic war film with an unusual perspective on WWII - well worth watching!

"Patton" is another highly recommended WWII movie

and HBO's "The Pacific" if you have not caught it yet!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 339
RE: The Great Raid - The Greatest War Film Never Seen - 15/5/2010 8:53:01 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: hampstead bandit

MaxManus is a fantastic war film with an unusual perspective on WWII - well worth watching!

"Patton" is another highly recommended WWII movie

and HBO's "The Pacific" if you have not caught it yet!

The Pacific isn't really up to much-very disappointing really.
Saving Private Ryan in Blu-Ray(if you can get one that works) is the best war movie ever!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 340
RE: The Great Raid - The Greatest War Film Never Seen - 15/5/2010 9:38:26 PM   
Scott_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Anyone seen this? Trailer made it look great.

Sweet! You saved me from having to google a picture.

Anyway, I bought that today and look forward to giving it a watch and I just ordered The Great Raid which sounds umm...great.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 341
RE: The Great Raid - The Greatest War Film Never Seen - 25/5/2010 7:57:16 AM   
peebottom

quote:

Just saw the trailer for this, which looks good.

It's the 'Oskar Schindler of the Nanking Massacre' if you will.

Based on a true story, John Rabe tells the story of a German businessman who rescued more than 200,000 civilians during the so—called "Nanking Massacre” in China. Drawing from John Rabe's 1937 diaries as source material, Academy Award ® Winner Florian Gallenberger has crafted a portrait of a man revered as a saint in China to this day and yet never rewarded for his courage during his lifetime.

Manage to watch this the other night. Great Film that portrayed events I knew nothing about, I highly recommended it. When I rented it it came under the title of "City of War". The DVD had a different cover image than the one posted above. Can't seem to paste it on here though

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 342
RE: The Great Raid - The Greatest War Film Never Seen - 25/5/2010 8:33:27 PM   
hampstead bandit

have you seen the entire 10 episode mini-series?

I'll admit its not as consistent as Band of Brothers, but some of the early episodes, and most of the latter episodes in the series are very, very good

(in reply to peebottom)
Post #: 343
RE: The Great Raid - The Greatest War Film Never Seen - 27/5/2010 12:53:18 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: hampstead bandit

have you seen the entire 10 episode mini-series?

I'll admit its not as consistent as Band of Brothers, but some of the early episodes, and most of the latter episodes in the series are very, very good

Almost all of them.To clarify,it's not bad,but hyped up as the most expensive mini-series ever,you'd expect more.
No?
hard to compare,but it lacked the emotion/sentiment of Saving Private Ryan or Letters To Iwo Jima.
Think the cast were poor.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 344
RE:Battleground! - 1/6/2010 12:52:33 PM   
Timon

Saw Battleground! at the weekend, and wasn't impressed. It was a bit cliche ridden personally, and all of the soldiers feel into the typical catogries - The Religious One, The Old Man, The Cynic, The New Guy....

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 345
RE: - 20/7/2010 2:11:39 PM   
Timon

Coming soon.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 346
RE: The Great Raid - The Greatest War Film Never Seen - 20/7/2010 4:28:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Where the hell are all these war films coming from?!?

They must be TV movies or something. Everytime I am in the shop, there seems to be five new war movies that have similar covers.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 347
RE: The War Film Thread - 2/8/2010 11:46:46 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I have a question which the good folk of this thread may be able to help me with, but it's a bit of a long shot. I saw a book a few weeks back and for the life of me I can't find it online to buy. Called "The Second World War" (I think), it was a thick hardback, first written (I think) in the 70s, and this edition had a blurry picture of a soldier on D-Day on the front cover. The author (I think!) had a double barrelled surname which might have sounded European. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Sorry for the vagueness

Found it!!!

Well I was partially correct in my description. It is thick (766 pages) and was written in 1970.

Much more better!

Post #: 348
Only The Brave - The War Film Thread - 19/8/2010 9:25:53 AM   
Timon

quote:

One film I'm determined to check out is this - Only the Brave

The most decorated army unit in the US WWII army - and they were Japanese American.

Ironically only the other day, I was talking about the 442nd regiment to my girlfriend because (bare with me) we were watching The Karate Kid and she asked how Mr Miyaki would have served in the US army during WWII to win the Medal of Honour when chances are he would have been internered. I knew vague things abut the 442nd regiment, but Wikipedia gave me the answers and I only just discovered this film. Clearly the fates are with me.

A searing portrait of war and prejudice, 'Only the Brave' takes you on a haunting journey into the hearts and minds of the forgotten heroes of WWII - the Japanese-American 100th/442nd. In 1941, when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, overnight Japanese Americans were put into internment camps for the duration of the war. Determined to prove their loyalty, 1400 Japanese Americans successfully petitioned the government to serve becoming the 100th Infantry Battalion. They were sent to North Africa, Italy and finally France were they performed an impossibly-dangerous rescue of the Texas 36th Division. During their two years of combat these men received an unparalleled 21 Medals of Honor, 9,486 Purple Hearts, 8 Presidential Citations, 53 Distinguished Service Crosses, 588 Silver Stars and 5,200 Bronze stars - making them the most decorated unit of their size in American military history. This is their story

Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJKHhDGNMgE

Ok, saw this last night. Staring, written, produced and directed by Lane Nishikawa (who appears to be a bit of a WWII buff looking at his CV), this takes an interesting story of a regiment and hampers it with a drab script and zero budget.

Nishikawa fills out his cast with the likes of Mark Dacacos, Jason Scott Lee and the bully from The Karate Kid II and then gives them nothing to do.

You barely know any of these soldiers apart from the odd pointless flashback before they're killed in badly shot battle where 800 men were apparently killed but you only see 20.... and about two Germans.

Still, it was cool to see Lost's Jeff Fahey as the CO of the stranded Texas battalion.

The 442nd has an epic story waiting to be told of their exploits, the camps they came from and the racism they overcome.... but this isn't it. In fact, it barely touches on any of it.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 349
RE: Only The Brave - The War Film Thread - 31/8/2010 11:50:08 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I re-watched 'A Bridge Too Far' on Sky Anytime this weekend, looked great in HD and I'd forgotten how great the film actually is. It's now on my Blu-Ray 'to buy' list.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 350
RE: Only The Brave - The War Film Thread - 31/8/2010 12:43:12 PM   
DazDaMan

In the coming couple of weeks, I'm going to try to watch as many Battle of Britain films as I can.  Hopefully, this will culminate in the BBC flick "First Light", which is based on the book of the same name.  Can't wait...

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 351
The War Film Thread - 20/1/2011 1:45:56 PM   
Timon

There's a Brit WWII film currently in pre-production called Above And Beyond. They're looking for extras.

Could be quite cool - http://abovebeyond.tv/

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 352
WAR MOVIE THREAD - 25/1/2011 5:08:50 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Just seen Windtalkers again. Been about 3 years since I last saw it, and I still don't think it's that bad.

I remember when I first heard about WINDTALKERS - John Woo reunited with his FACE/OFF buddy Nic Cage. Doing a WWII film. What could possibly go wrong....?

EVERY F**KING THING! This was one of the BIGGEST disappointments I've ever been subjected to! Shoulda known better than to accept the ticket to a FREE screening!

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

Post #: 353
RE: WAR MOVIE THREAD - 25/1/2011 5:38:21 PM   
DazDaMan

Yeah, it was pretty dire as I recall. I mean, Pearl Harbor is generally regarded as bad, but Windtalkers took that crown...!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 354
RE: WAR MOVIE THREAD - 25/1/2011 5:41:56 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

Yeah, it was pretty dire as I recall. I mean, Pearl Harbor is generally regarded as bad, but Windtalkers took that crown...!

PEARL HARBOUR was a FANTASTIC action sequence book-ended by puke-inducing romantic pap!

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 355
RE: WAR MOVIE THREAD - 25/1/2011 5:48:16 PM   
DazDaMan

Can't argue with that!

Plus, it had some serious warbird porn in it....

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 356
RE: WAR MOVIE THREAD - 25/1/2011 5:53:11 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

Can't argue with that!

Plus, it had some serious warbird porn in it....

ABSOLUTELY!!

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 357
Paradox Soldiers - 26/4/2011 12:58:25 PM   
Timon

I saw Kim Newman review this in Video Dungeon last month and it has peaked my interest.

Apparently it's a Russian film which sees four men "ripped from the future and thrown tumbling back to 1940s war-torn Europe, where they become embroiled in a pitched battle against an elite German invasion force. In a furious race to find a way home before the time portal closes, they must make the ultimate decision between returning to their safe future lives or staying to fight in one of the bloodiest and most pivotal battles of WWII. By committing to the fight, they will save their country from destruction by the Nazi war machine but they could also remain trapped in the past forever."

Apparently it's a sequel to a Russian film and as a standalone film is quite confusing, but it's also meant to be very good.

Anyone seen it?

Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rybQp4rKKb8

Cool poster!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 358
RE: Paradox Soldiers - 12/9/2011 3:40:33 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Are we lacking war movie releases lately? I can't seem to remember any coming out for a while and I'm in the mood for one....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 359
Saints And Soldiers II: Airborne Creed - 14/12/2011 8:04:21 PM   
Timon

quote:

I started a thread on this on the old forum in Movie Musings but like most, was lost over the depths of time. Saints and Soliders was a film about the masscare at Malmedy, which occured during the Battle of the Bulge when several hundred US p.o.ws were shot by the SS. The film is about a group of soldiers who survive and have to work their way back to their lines as well as protect a British agent who has vital intel for the Allied forces. I've only seen the trailer, but i have been excited about this film for quite a while.

You can download the trailer - here - and i strongly suggest you give it a look.

It has the same look as Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers and looked awesome BUT it never got a release at the cinema in this country. I was going to fork out and get it on R1 DVD and still might...but DVDanswers has stated that it's coming to R2 DVD on the 9th of January 2006, priced at around £15.99. The disc will feature a director's commentary and 'The Making of Saints and Soldiers' featurette. You can see the artwork - here

http://www.saintsandsoldiers.com/

So, what does everyone think? Has anyone here seen it?

And Saints And Soldiers has a sequel!

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/teaser-trailer-for-ryan-littles-new-wwii-film-saints-and-sinners-airborne-creed/

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Great Raid - The Greatest War Film Never Seen Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI