Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The War Film Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The War Film Thread Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The War Film Thread - 29/3/2010 6:34:14 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I've seen a couple of great older war films recently. Battleground and Battle Cry.

With the exception of Band Of Brothers, Battleground is probably the best thing I've seen that deals with the Battle Of The Bulge, and Battle Cry is a fantastic films about a group of marines who end up fighting in the Pacific.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to jabscab)
Post #: 301
RE: The War Film Thread - 29/3/2010 11:26:14 AM   
Timon

Man of War was suggested to me by Amazon so I've been thinking about getting that....

I really should just join LoveFilm.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to jabscab)
Post #: 302
RE: The War Film Thread - 29/3/2010 11:34:46 AM   
sharkboy

Battleground is indeed a wonderful movie and defnitely worth checking out.  After watching the first 2 episodes of The Pacific, I'd a burning desire to rewatch Guadalcanal Diary and managed to turn up this nice little box set (under 7 on Amazon!):

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 303
RE: The War Film Thread - 29/3/2010 11:40:44 AM   
Timon

All my 'stories' are downloading at home. As I've been in the US for 2 weeks, I've yet to see any of the Pacific. Hopefully, I'll see the first two episodes (maybe even the third tonight).

We'll see. Can't wait.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 304
RE: The War Film Thread - 30/3/2010 6:24:48 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

It'll be a DVD release before I see the Pacific

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 305
RE: The War Film Thread - 2/4/2010 8:57:24 PM   
hampstead bandit

I've recently seen the first 3 episodes of "The Pacific" - simply stunning - and a great partner to the sublime "Band of Brothers" which I own on Blu-Ray

I've just seen "Tears of the Sun" on Blu-Ray which left me very shocked

and finally got round to watching "The Thin Red Line" on DVD, its a big shame its not available on Blu-Ray as its beautifully shot and a very powerful film

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 306
RE: The War Film Thread - 8/4/2010 9:33:35 AM   
Timon

I was in Asda last night and saw this film on the shelf.

Anyone seen it? Any good?

One film I'm determined to check out is this - Only the Brave

The most decorated army unit in the US WWII army - and they were Japanese American.

Ironically only the other day, I was talking about the 442nd regiment to my girlfriend because (bare with me) we were watching The Karate Kid and she asked how Mr Miyaki would have served in the US army during WWII to win the Medal of Honour when chances are he would have been internered. I knew vague things abut the 442nd regiment, but Wikipedia gave me the answers and I only just discovered this film. Clearly the fates are with me.

A searing portrait of war and prejudice, 'Only the Brave' takes you on a haunting journey into the hearts and minds of the forgotten heroes of WWII - the Japanese-American 100th/442nd. In 1941, when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, overnight Japanese Americans were put into internment camps for the duration of the war. Determined to prove their loyalty, 1400 Japanese Americans successfully petitioned the government to serve becoming the 100th Infantry Battalion. They were sent to North Africa, Italy and finally France were they performed an impossibly-dangerous rescue of the Texas 36th Division. During their two years of combat these men received an unparalleled 21 Medals of Honor, 9,486 Purple Hearts, 8 Presidential Citations, 53 Distinguished Service Crosses, 588 Silver Stars and 5,200 Bronze stars - making them the most decorated unit of their size in American military history. This is their story

Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJKHhDGNMgE

Post #: 307
RE: The War Film Thread - 8/4/2010 4:23:50 PM   
DazDaMan

Jeez, that's a fascinating bit of history right there!

Mind you, the RAF had at least one German flying for them (Ken Adam, later famous as set designer on the James Bond films).

Even more unusually, Hermann Goering's own nephew, Werner Goering, flew bomber missions with the USAAF during World War 2 - attacking targets in Germany itself!

I shit you not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_G._Goering

AND he's still alive....

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 308
RE: The War Film Thread - 8/4/2010 4:27:20 PM   
DazDaMan

If you click that link, you'll find that Hitler had a nephew who enlisted in the US Navy, too!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 309
RE: The War Film Thread - 9/4/2010 10:18:48 AM   
Timon

I like the fact he had a 'qualified co-pilot' who would shoot him if he ever tried to land in Germany...

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 310
RE: The War Film Thread - 10/4/2010 1:49:46 PM   
Timon

Ok, so I need more war films. After browsing Amazon marketplace, I'm going to get the cheapest ones I can find;

These are the ones on my shortlist thus far. Anyone seen the following - thoughts?

Battleground!
Miracle at St. Anne (Region 1)
Flame and Citroen
Man of War
Red Baron
Katyn
Only the Brave
The Great Raid
Good

Post #: 311
RE: The War Film Thread - 10/4/2010 4:18:41 PM   
DazDaMan

Red Baron isn't bad in terms of dogfights and aerial footage, but the story is very convoluted, and heavily fictionalised. It doesn't try to be a historic film about Von Richthofen at all, which is a shame.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 312
RE: The War Film Thread - 10/4/2010 9:47:07 PM   
hampstead bandit

some more to check out

84 Charlie Mopic (Vietnam through the eyes of a cinefilm cameraman embedded with an Army unit)

The Beast of War (Soviet-era Afghanistan - about a Soviet tank-crew deserter)

Come and See (legendary WWII film - will mess up your head!!)

and of course the insane box-set that is "World at War" (narrated by L. Oliver)

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 313
RE: The War Film Thread - 11/4/2010 6:28:54 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Battleground is fantastic. I'd recommend that to anyone. Good is worth watching for the acting but what should be quite a powerful film tends to come across as preachy with a poor script.

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 314
RE: The War Film Thread - 20/4/2010 6:48:02 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I have a question which the good folk of this thread may be able to help me with, but it's a bit of a long shot. I saw a book a few weeks back and for the life of me I can't find it online to buy. Called "The Second World War" (I think), it was a thick hardback, first written (I think) in the 70s, and this edition had a blurry picture of a soldier on D-Day on the front cover. The author (I think!) had a double barrelled surname which might have sounded European. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Sorry for the vagueness

Much more better!

Post #: 315
RE: The War Film Thread - 20/4/2010 8:34:50 AM   
Timon

Sounds like my version of Ambrose's book on D-Day....

Post #: 316
RE: The War Film Thread - 20/4/2010 8:36:22 AM   
DazDaMan

Not a clue, Gimli!

However, I was at the pub last night, and there just so happened to be an old gent there (who was still drinking a lot of the younger folk under the table, I might add!) who was a veteran of the Burma campaign. He came over and was having a natter to me and my mate. That was all kinds of awesome.

Post #: 317
RE: The War Film Thread - 21/4/2010 1:22:13 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Nope, not D-Day. A great book that!

This has been driving me barmy!

Impressive, Daz. I'd have been tempted to just ask him questions all night long.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 21/4/2010 1:23:12 AM >

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 318
RE: The War Film Thread - 21/4/2010 1:43:05 PM   
sharkboy

Was it this one?  Double-barreled surname, pic of allied infantryman on the cover?

Actually, while we're discussing the classic war histories, has anyone read John Hersey's Hiroshima?  I've managed to *ahem* acquire a copy of the audio book that I've been listening to on the way to work in the mornings, and it is a very compelling and remarkably human recounting of this horrific event.  Highly recommended. 

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 21/4/2010 1:54:23 PM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 319
RE: The War Film Thread - 21/4/2010 1:51:52 PM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Ok, so I need more war films. After browsing Amazon marketplace, I'm going to get the cheapest ones I can find;

These are the ones on my shortlist thus far. Anyone seen the following - thoughts?

Battleground!
Miracle at St. Anne (Region 1)
Flame and Citroen
Man of War
Red Baron
Katyn
Only the Brave
The Great Raid
Good

I watched Katyn recently and was a bit disappointed. It's worthy film-making about an aspect of WWII I didn't know a lot about (it sent me scurrying to the history books for a bit of background reading), but the film is rather choppy and strangely uninvolving, at least until the final sequence which does pack a wallop. Fine, but not as good as the director's famous War trilogy

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 320
RE: The War Film Thread - 21/4/2010 11:55:44 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Nope, Sharkboy, not that one either

I'll be pulling my hair out before long!

Much more better!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 321
RE: The War Film Thread - 24/4/2010 8:35:08 AM   
Snake-Eyes

A reminder. SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (a.k.a. Snake-Eyes' Favourite War Film Ever) blu-ray is on sale Monday 26th April.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

Post #: 322
RE: The War Film Thread - 26/4/2010 8:15:30 AM   
sharkboy

I've got Flame & Citron coming from Lovefilm, so I'll post my opinion once I've watched it.  And come pay day, SPR is definitely getting added to the blu ray collection! 

WWLD?

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 323
RE: The War Film Thread - 26/4/2010 9:48:49 AM   
Timon

Let me know what you think of Flame and Citroen.

I really should get LoveFilm... so many films I want to see, but don't really want to buy. Are there any free trial offers around?

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 324
RE: The War Film Thread - 26/4/2010 10:44:58 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

They have a 14 day free trial and that'll give you an idea of how good they are. I'm not sure if there's a limit as to how many you can have in that period. But for 16 a month you can get about 20 discs a month (depending on how fast you watch them!!)

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 325
RE: The War Film Thread - 26/4/2010 10:47:18 AM   
sharkboy

Ti, take a look in the Joypad forum - there's a thread about getting free 3-month trials from LoveFilm

WWLD?

Post #: 326
RE: The War Film Thread - 29/4/2010 9:27:45 AM   
Timon

Got a 2 month trial so have queued up a bunch of movies.

War films are The Great Raid, Assembly, Battleground, Flame and Citron and Only The Brave.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 327
RE: The War Film Thread - 29/4/2010 9:44:45 AM   
sharkboy

You're welcome!

Still haven't had a chance to watch Flame and Citron, I hope to rectify that later.  I thought The Great Raid was an excellent movie, with a good cast (even James Franco was watchable!).  More to the point, it told the true tale of what was, for me, a hitherto unknown war story (the Raid at Cabanatuan), where a small band went deep behind enemy lines to liberate 500 POWs from a Japanese camp.

WWLD?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 328
RE: The War Film Thread - 29/4/2010 9:51:58 AM   
Timon

I've been trying to see it for ages. The Collector's Edition DVD has been pretty expensive, but if it's a good movie I'll pick it up.

Oh and cheers!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 329
RE: The War Film Thread - 29/4/2010 10:37:53 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Tuesday night was war movie night for me. I watched Kokoda (2006), an Australian war drama centering on a small group of weary and sick Australian soldiers desperately defending an unexpected onslaught of 10,000 Japanese soldiers. Fighting illness, the cruel elements of the terrain and the sadistic and deadly attacks of their enemy this is morbid, suspenseful and gritty stuff. One scene involving a bayonet being thrust into a soldier's eyeball is particularly nasty. Perhaps the movie fails on building up character development and structure but it is still gripping for a good 90 mins or so. 6/10

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The War Film Thread Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI