Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The War Film Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The War Film Thread Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The War Film Thread - 21/8/2009 9:13:11 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Not sure if this has been mentioned - a cracking little film starring Dennis Quaid and produced by Oliver Stone -

Set during the Bosnian War, it's a very harrowing and sad tale with an uplifting ending. Has a funny line that I always remember - "Don't any of the Tits work in this country?!"

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 271
RE: The War Film Thread - 27/8/2009 3:12:34 PM   
peebottom

Again I don't know if anyone has already mentioned it but Generation Kill (a HBO mini series) was a brilliant little show.

It follows the start of the 2003 Iraq conflict from the eyes of the US 1st recon marines, and is based on the rolling stones reporter Evan Wrights expierences living amongst them. After serving in Iraq although not during this time and not with the US marines, it felt very realistic and gave what I thought was a true depiction of what life out there was like.

It's worth a look if war films is your thing.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 272
RE: The War Film Thread - 4/9/2009 6:30:05 PM   
MI Cruise

Just watched Tropic Thunder, and although it's not technically a war film, it is sort of a spoof, it was very good 4/5.

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to peebottom)
Post #: 273
RE: The War Film Thread - 11/9/2009 2:24:12 PM   
Nostromo.

Sounds interesting Snake-Eyes, thanks for the heads up. Going to see if I can acquire it.

No Time To Bleed

What Do You Use For Bait? Paypal?

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 274
RE: The War Film Thread - 11/9/2009 2:30:14 PM   
Nostromo.

quote:

ORIGINAL: peebottom

Again I don't know if anyone has already mentioned it but Generation Kill (a HBO mini series) was a brilliant little show.

It follows the start of the 2003 Iraq conflict from the eyes of the US 1st recon marines, and is based on the rolling stones reporter Evan Wrights expierences living amongst them. After serving in Iraq although not during this time and not with the US marines, it felt very realistic and gave what I thought was a true depiction of what life out there was like.

It's worth a look if war films is your thing.

Generation Kill is indeed fantastic, absolutely loved every episode. Waiting for it to land over here on Blu Ray.

PS I'm pretty sure there was another thread floating about similar to this but about historical epics? I can't for the life of me find it though? Did I dream it?

< Message edited by Nostromo. -- 11/9/2009 2:36:38 PM >

No Time To Bleed

(in reply to peebottom)
Post #: 275
RE: The War Film Thread - 12/9/2009 1:35:39 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Bing!

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=519945

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Nostromo.)
Post #: 276
RE: The War Film Thread - 13/9/2009 1:27:36 PM   
Nostromo.

Ah thats the one, many thanks Gimli. 

No Time To Bleed

Post #: 277
RE: The War Film Thread - 16/1/2010 12:42:45 PM   
Timon

Has anyone seen Man of War - a Norweigan Resistance film made recently... sort of the Norweigan Flame and Citroen... which I still need to see. I've been stocking up on Nazi resistance films recently - Female Agents, The Counterfeiters etc

I also keep meaning to get Red Baron.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Nostromo.)
Post #: 278
RE: Pacific War Films - 8/2/2010 11:08:50 AM   
Timon

So, to generate a bit of pre-The Pacific build-up, I was going to start watching some Pacific theatre war films.

I have the likes of;

The Bridge of the River Kwai
Letters from Iwo Jima/Flags of our Fathers
Too Late The Hero
Kokoda

and have seen all the usual suspects: Battle of Midway, Tora Tora Tora.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any - namely any featuring on the Fall of Singapore, or the Burma campaign etc

Oh and has anyone else seen To End All Wars with Kiefer Sutherland and Robert Carlye. What did you think?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 279
RE: Pacific War Films - 8/2/2010 11:35:57 AM   
Rgirvan44

One Pacific War thing that I have always remembered since seeing it as a kid was the the TV miniseries Heroes II: The Return.

It was about the story of Operation Rimau, one of the most daring raids of WW2. In September 1944 Ivan Lyon and 22 Australian and British troops attempted to blow up Japanese ships in Singapore. Just 10 miles away from the target they were discovered and began a long and desperate bid to escape to Australia.

Without spoiling anything I recall the ending of the series staying with me even as six year old. Not well known at all, I would love to revisit the series.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099765/

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 280
RE: Pacific War Films - 8/2/2010 11:42:25 AM   
Timon

Sounds like a crazy Pacific-based version of the Raid on St. Nazaire!

I've heard None But The Brave (with Frank Sinatra) is rather good. A sort of en mass Hell In The Pacific.

Also, I've still yet to see the Children of Huang Shi.. despite the bad reviews, I thought it looked quite good.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 281
RE: Pacific War Films - 9/2/2010 1:23:07 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

So, to generate a bit of pre-The Pacific build-up, I was going to start watching some Pacific theatre war films.

I have the likes of;

The Bridge of the River Kwai
Letters from Iwo Jima/Flags of our Fathers
Too Late The Hero
Kokoda

and have seen all the usual suspects: Battle of Midway, Tora Tora Tora.

Good films all. Kokoda is my least favourite. I mentioned I'd bought it ages ago but only saw it a few weeks back. Still good though.

Guadalcanal Diary, The Great Raid, Merrill's Marauders, Objective Burma! The Long and the Short and the Tall, King Rat, A Town Like Alice and Paradise Road are all worth seeing, but they're more general than what you're after I think.

Have you ever seen To The Shores Of Iwo Jima? A 20 minute documentary that was Oscar nominated in 1945. Some great colour footage and just interesting overall. It's up on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elgziFn-6_c&feature=related

Back to war film in general, I recently saw two of the best submarine films I've sever seen. Run Silent, Run Deep and The Enemy Below. Both great cat and mouse WWII films, I can't believe I'd never seen them before.

I've also bought Female Agents recently, but again not seen it yet. Any good, Timon?

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 9/2/2010 1:29:59 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 282
RE: Pacific War Films - 9/2/2010 8:39:44 AM   
Timon

Female Agents is a good little Resistance film... one of several, like The Counterfeiters, I've been watching in recent months. Still have to see Black Book and Flame and Citroen.

Love The Enemy Below, it's actually the film that the Star Trek original episode The Balance of Terror is based on.

Might pick up The Great Raid at some point.

Also, haven't seen To The Shores Of Iwo Jima, but my Flags of our Fathers/Letters of Iwo Jima boxset came with a 5th disc with an excellent feature length Iwo Jima documentary narrated by Gene Hackman.

Post #: 283
RE: Pacific War Films - 10/2/2010 12:25:52 PM   
sharkboy

Ti, if you're after Pacific Theatre movies have you considered the following?

Bataan - deals with the Battle of Bataan on Luzon in the Philipines and is a much more harrowing telling of events than the John Wayne-starring Back To Bataan (though that's also worth a viewing).

The Thin Red Line - I'd be amazed if you haven't got this already, but if not it does well to capture the horror of the island fighting.

Guadalcanal Diary - I know Gimli has recommended this already, I'm just adding my two thumbs up!

Three Came Home - the tale of female POWs taken after the Japanese invasion of Borneo.  Better still, it's now in the public domain and can be viewed for free! http://www.archive.org/details/ThreeCameHomeClaudetteColbertHankrip

Flying Leathernecks - more gung-ho action from John Wayne as the commander of a bunch of marine aviators who see action at Guadalcanal and Okinawa

A Town Like Alice - another POW tale, this time of  prisoners captured at Singapore.

The Naked And The Dead - the movie version of Norman Mailer's great work.

Midway - star-studded retelling of the Battle of Midway, as seen from the perspective of each side.

To End All Wars - I remember catching this one shortly after its release about 10 years ago.  Robert Carlyle and Keifer Sutherland are POWs building the Burma Railway

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 284
RE: Pacific War Films - 10/2/2010 12:39:39 PM   
Timon

I'll check them out... but I really didn't like To End All Wars much.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 285
RE: Pacific War Films - 12/2/2010 2:50:27 PM   
sharkboy

Anyone heard anything about this movie?  I saw in the papers that it's out on DVD and blu on Monday, and it hadn't even come onto my radar.  It appears to be a Russian production with a bit of international talent in the cast and as its about part of the Russian campaign that IMO often gets overshadowed by that other Russian siege (even though it lasted much longer and had as many casualties) it's kinda got my attention.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 286
RE: Pacific War Films - 12/2/2010 3:03:12 PM   
Timon

Gabriel Byrne eh? Looks good, but they seem to be emulating The Red Baron cover art.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 287
RE: Pacific War Films - 12/2/2010 3:03:23 PM   
DazDaMan

Not heard of that one, but here's the IMDB entry: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0432314/

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 288
RE: Pacific War Films - 14/2/2010 1:41:10 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy
Three Came Home - the tale of female POWs taken after the Japanese invasion of Borneo.  Better still, it's now in the public domain and can be viewed for free! http://www.archive.org/details/ThreeCameHomeClaudetteColbertHankrip

I'll give that one a try. I've heard it's similar to A Town Like Alice, which I liked a lot. There seems to a whole little sub-genre of WWII films about females POW in the east. Paradise Road is another good one. Women of Valor, Susan Sarandon's TV movie is the only one so far I didn't like.

I saw The Battle Of The River Plate the other day which I thoroughly enjoyed. One of the few naval WWII films I can think of that features a lack of submarines, but also interesting in that it portrays one of the main actions from the Phoney War, the battle between the German destroyer the Admiral Graf Spee and three British Cruisers. It seems to come across as a relatively bloodless game on a jolly boys outing, but that doesn’t stop the central battle scene being both intensely thrilling and fascinating, as are the shenanigans one the action becomes politically motivated in Montevideo, and the likes of Peter Finch and Anthony Quayle ensure a fine standard of acting. . Saying that, I think my main memory with be of a young Christopher Lee as a Uruguayan bar owner, deeply unhappy that his place of business has been taken over by reporters

Did anyone see the recent BBC4 show, Shooting The War? I haven't got around to watching it all yet but it was filled with amateur footage. Looked very interesting.

Much more better!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 289
RE: Pacific War Films - 15/2/2010 9:15:01 AM   
Timon

I watched this at the weekend - Michael Caine, Denholm Elliot and Cliff 'Uncle Ben' Robertson. Good movie.

Post #: 290
RE: The War Film Thread - 17/2/2010 6:35:27 AM   
AcE_3000

Band of Brothers is a great miniseries: it deserves to be much much more appreciated, the battle scenes are entirely realistic and the quality of the acting and character developed blooms with authenticity. I recommend it.

"Who left the fridge open?"

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 291
RE: The War Film Thread - 17/2/2010 10:15:11 PM   
DazDaMan

I bought Attack on Leningrad today, and have just put it in the DVD player for a spin. Will let you know what it's like.

However, there are two trailers for war films on the disk. One for a WW2 film called Flame and Citron, and another (first World War, this time) called The Admirial. They both look worth a watch....

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to AcE_3000)
Post #: 292
RE: The War Film Thread - 18/2/2010 8:51:14 AM   
Timon

Yeah, Flame and Citroen is on my list to watch. Never heard of The Admiral.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 293
RE: The War Film Thread - 22/2/2010 4:50:05 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Watched this on Blu Ray today and must say I was impressed. I didn't go into it thinking it would be up to much but I was pleasantly surprised. Paul Gross does well in the lead role and it's nice to see some of the First World War from the Canadian perspective. Obviously it won't be to everyones tastes and it's not the best war film out there by far, but I enjoyed it and that's what counts

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 294
RE: The War Film Thread - 25/2/2010 7:54:52 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Out on Monday, I'm wondering if it's worth a blind buy?

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 295
RE: The War Film Thread - 25/2/2010 7:56:06 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

I bought Attack on Leningrad today, and have just put it in the DVD player for a spin. Will let you know what it's like.

Worth getting?

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 296
RE: The War Film Thread - 25/2/2010 10:15:36 PM   
DazDaMan

I haven't had a chance to watch it fully yet, but I'm not proud that I bought it from what I've seen....

Post #: 297
RE: The War Film Thread - 1/3/2010 3:29:55 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I think I'll give it a rent first then

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 298
RE: The War Film Thread - 4/3/2010 7:36:09 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Out on Monday, I'm wondering if it's worth a blind buy?

I spent two hours of my life I'll never get back watching this today, bloody awful. Avoid.

Post #: 299
RE: The War Film Thread - 7/3/2010 8:46:42 PM   
jabscab

I recently watched Man of War and I thought it was good and very well acted. Female Agents is a solid film if a little cliched at times. I've just finished watching Downfall for the second time and I have to say it is a remarkable piece, Corinna Hafouch performance as Magda Goebbels is chilling.

Just got Red Baron, been looking forward to this one.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The War Film Thread Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI