Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The War Film Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The War Film Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The War Film Thread - 26/10/2005 2:12:59 PM   
Timon

I started a thread on this on the old forum in Movie Musings but like most, was lost over the depths of time. Saints and Soliders was a film about the masscare at Malmedy, which occured during the Battle of the Bulge when several hundred US p.o.ws were shot by the SS. The film is about a group of soldiers who survive and have to work their way back to their lines as well as protect a British agent who has vital intel for the Allied forces. I've only seen the trailer, but i have been excited about this film for quite a while.

You can download the trailer - here - and i strongly suggest you give it a look.

It has the same look as Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers and looked awesome BUT it never got a release at the cinema in this country. I was going to fork out and get it on R1 DVD and still might...but DVDanswers has stated that it's coming to R2 DVD on the 9th of January 2006, priced at around £15.99. The disc will feature a director's commentary and 'The Making of Saints and Soldiers' featurette. You can see the artwork - here

http://www.saintsandsoldiers.com/

So, what does everyone think? Has anyone here seen it?

< Message edited by Timon -- 27/6/2007 10:59:30 AM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 23/12/2006 9:10:37 PM   
Castor Troy

I bought this today and watched it tonight and I was pleasantly suprised. I think it was because my expectations were low but I thought it was a great little film, especially as Timon said, considering the budget and the 'amatuer' team behind it. Some of the acting wasn't great and there were a few cliches but the story was great and so were some of the scenes.

You can buy it for £3.99 from HMV website and I recommend that you do if you want an extra unofficial episode of Band Of Brothers.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.
Post #: 2
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 23/12/2006 11:54:11 PM   
Cuchulainn

I got an ex-rental of this ages ago for €5,and had forgotten all about it until I saw this thread.And I still haven't watched it...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 3
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 24/12/2006 4:49:16 PM   
porter83

My girlfriend works in HMV and she brought this home the other week, not got round to watching it yet.

On August 29th, 1997, its gonna feel pretty fucking real to you too. Anybody not wearing 2 million sunblock is gonna have a real bad day. Get it?

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 4
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 13/1/2007 4:20:09 PM   
Timon

I'm a huge fan of War films and recently there have been several that looked great, got decent reviews but performed badly at the box office. As soon as I financially can, I plan to get the below war films. I was wondering if anyone has seen them and their thoughts are on them.

For those of you that have no idea about them, the trailer is attached to the pic just right click and save on the poster.

What is it with James Franco at the moment?! He appears to be in every decent looking box office flop. Does that say something about him? He was also in the poorly received Tristan & Isolde (which for the record, I really enjoyed - Kevin Reynolds should make more period action film. Great fun).

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to porter83)
Post #: 5
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 13/1/2007 8:34:16 PM   
Cuchulainn

I'm seriously considering picking up Flyboys too Timon...
And these guys seemed to like it a lot too... clicky

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 6
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 13/1/2007 9:52:46 PM   
Timon

Yeah I saw those reviews. People also seem to be pretty positive on imdb.com which I was suprised at. Read a review by some guy who flies old WWI planes at carnivals and is an WWI expert and he loved it citing it as having the most realistic dogfights ever put on screen.

Either way, WWI films are too far apart for me not to pick this up so as soon as I see the Collectors Edition around more cheaply, I'll get it. Same goes for The Great Raid.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 7
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 18/1/2007 11:22:45 PM   
Art Vandelay

Got it today from HMV for 5 quid. Can't wait to watch it!

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 19/1/2007 1:38:13 PM   
Timon

Continuing the theme of introducing unknown recent war films....I really want to see this. DAYS OF GLORY.

According to the trailer (click on the below pic), the film caused such a stir at Cannes that the French government changes its laws on how it viewed the French North African troops that fought for their country. Looks like powerful stuff.

This is definetly now on my watch list. Anyone know if it's to get a UK release?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 9
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 14/2/2007 12:15:02 PM   
Timon

Was going to start a thread on unknown war films but I thought i'd keep using this.

With news of War of the Dead starring James Van Der Dawson...or whateverhisnameis about zombie nazi ghosts things I thought I'd get people interested in this.

The Bunker.

I saw this a few years ago and I remember enjoying it albeit a tad disappointed. Had Jack Davenport and Jason Flymeng in it and was very psychological as a group of German soldiers (with English accents) are haunted by images of dead soldiers in an abandoned bunker.

Thinking about buying the DVD so i thought i'd get people's thoughts on it.

Regarding that Nazi-Zombie film...there are actually two.

WORST CASE SENARIO - Trailer

And the one that James Van Der Beek is in - STONE'S WAR - Promo Reel

< Message edited by Timon -- 14/2/2007 12:43:08 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 10
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 14/2/2007 2:05:57 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuchulainn

I'm seriously considering picking up Flyboys too Timon...
And these guys seemed to like it a lot too... clicky

The R1 is now listed on Amazon.co.uk...but it's 16 quid. I'll wait till it's a tad cheaper

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 11
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 14/2/2007 3:28:24 PM   
Wedge

Cool thread Timon.  Too many movies and not enough time!  

Is The Bunker better than Deathwatch, a film that had a similar 'soldiers and ghosts' premise? 

How about R-Point?

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 12
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 14/2/2007 4:04:13 PM   
Timon

Never saw Deathwatch so can't comment.

Is R-Point any good? Keep meaning to get that.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 13
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 14/2/2007 4:15:21 PM   
Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I've seen Deathwatch, was that good.  Fairly unsatisfying.  Haven't seen R-Point.  Did I imagine it or did they recently start on a sequel?

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 14
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 15/2/2007 8:22:51 AM   
i007_Bond_007i

quote:

I quite enjoyed R-Point. It's a little bit strange, and not much 'action' as such. But a good horror.

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 15
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 15/2/2007 3:18:23 PM   
sharkboy

Word of advice Ti - avoid Flyboys like a dose of the clap.  It basically sets itself up to be Top gun with biplanes and fails to even reach those low standards.  The only redeeming factors are some half-decent dogfights, a nice performance from the female interest (whose name I forget) and another french stereotype scenery-chomping show from Jean Reno.  I challenge you to find a more cliché-strewn work this side of Armageddon. An awful awful movie, and not even in a "so bad it's good" way.

The Great Raid is definitely worth tracking down, especially knowing how much you love your "based on a true story" tales of war heroics!

(BTW, both can be...ahem...borrowed if you're interested...)

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 16
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 15/2/2007 3:24:11 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Word of advice Ti - avoid Flyboys like a dose of the clap.  It basically sets itself up to be Top gun with biplanes and fails to even reach those low standards.  The only redeeming factors are some half-decent dogfights, a nice performance from the female interest (whose name I forget) and another french stereotype scenery-chomping show from Jean Reno.  I challenge you to find a more cliché-strewn work this side of Armageddon. An awful awful movie, and not even in a "so bad it's good" way.

The Great Raid is definitely worth tracking down, especially knowing how much you love your "based on a true story" tales of war heroics!

(BTW, both can be...ahem...borrowed if you're interested...)

I like Armageddon!

Either way, I still think i'll track it down. Still looks like fun even with it's "I didn't know war could be like this etc etc".

The Great Raid will be harder to get. The Collector's Edition I'm after is 30 quid + on Amazon marketplace. I want to get it off somewhere like Caiman.com but I only have a Switchcard so i need to find a UK distributor.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 17
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 15/2/2007 11:13:14 PM   
Fivefur

quote:

Ok, thanks to Sharkboy i finally got round to watching it.

Now i like my war films. I like them big and i like them epic and here is where Saints And Soldiers falters....there's not much you can squeeze into 88mins and a $780,000 budget. But i enjoyed it and here's why.

I liked the little moments.

With 4 US and 1 Brit soldiers trying to get back to friendly lines after the Malemdy massacre, there's opportunites for little character moments in such a small film which could be lost on a bigger epic. Of course some of them are a tad cliched and i won't spoil the film for anyone by mentioning them, but i still really enjoyed them none the less.

The thing is, if this film was made by someone like Spielberg or Stone, i would be disappointed by the odd cliche and slow moment but because it's made by amateurs and war re-enacotors i have nothing but respect for what they've done. With the budget they had, they've made a decent little film and the last 15 mins looks good enough to be in the likes of Band of Brothers albeit on a smaller scale.

I would recommend this film to friends - don't expect Saving Private Ryan, but see it as a war film made by war film fans and first time film makers and you'll really appreciate what they've done.

Jeezz timon the stuff you know. I watched this the other night and cant believe they spent ONLY $780,000 on it. It looks way more than that. I've seen $30,000,000 movies that dont even come close (The Thin Red Line never did for me).

this was engaging on so many fronts, firstly you did feel "involved" with the characters particularly as the movie developed in the later stages. the acting whilst not A list material (just to confuse matters, in my opinion not all A listed actors are good!), it certainly passes muster, the action scenes are more than adequate (even more so now that I know the Budget). Downsides are the pilot (played to the nth english degree by I presume a Yank) poor just really poor.

In summary tho - i would recommend it based simply on its merits and budget. You get way more than that from the movie. HMV has it for a £5 in the war movies section. Damn people thats less than a trip to the movies! when you add popcorn, hot dog, large Diet Coke and a packet of minstrels, value for money is bargain basement.

Satipo: Let us hurry. There is nothing to fear here.
Indiana: That's what scares me.
Post #: 18
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 16/2/2007 12:20:34 PM   
Timon

Not many people have heard of this one....judging from the lack of responses in Favorite Films so i thought i'd drum up some attention for BELOW.

About 6 years old now it's a film about a 'haunted WWII submarine'. Flopped in the US despite decent reviews and went straight to video here.

Click on the below image to see the trailer

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 19
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 18/2/2007 12:25:01 AM   
Fivefur

quote:

Not many people have heard of this one....judging from the lack of responses in Favorite Films so i thought i'd drum up some attention for BELOW.

About 6 years old now it's a film about a 'haunted WWII submarine'. Flopped in the US despite decent reviews and went straight to video here.

Hey dont bring your wing shit stuff here Timon (much as I love you)

start a thread but get off my patch Kkkkk?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 20
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 18/2/2007 10:29:59 AM   
Cuchulainn

What the Devil are you waffling on about,Fivefur?

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 21
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 18/2/2007 10:31:36 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fivefur

quote:

My wing stuff? Get off your patch?! What the hell are you babbling about?

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 22
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 19/2/2007 4:21:36 PM   
sharkboy

Just ignore him Ti - you'll know from your ex-green days what happens to trolls...

Anyway back on topic - Below is a pretty enjoyable movie from director David Twohy, whose previous effort, Pitch Black, showed what could be done with sci-fi on a budget.  Unfortunately his next movie (Chronicles of Riddick) showed how to fuck up a movie with a decent budget.  Below is an ambitious movie that doesn't always pay off, but is still capable of some major tension and scares.  Worth a look for the curious horror or war movie fan.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 23
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 22/2/2007 10:10:30 AM   
Timon

quote:

Continuing the theme of introducing unknown recent war films....I really want to see this. DAYS OF GLORY.

According to the trailer (click on the below pic), the film caused such a stir at Cannes that the French government changes its laws on how it viewed the French North African troops that fought for their country. Looks like powerful stuff.

This is definetly now on my watch list. Anyone know if it's to get a UK release?

There is a new trailer for DAYS OF GLORY - CLICK HERE

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 24
RE: 9th Company - 22/2/2007 2:05:54 PM   
Timon

Ok, who else is going to try and see 9TH COMPANY?

EMPIRE REVIEW

9th Company (TBC)

Plot
In 1987, four young Soviet men are recruited into the army to fight in the ongoing war with Afghanistan. They will join the legendary 9th Company, and after a brutal training regime, will partake of the last major battle, operation Magistral.

Empire Review

Fyodor Bondarchuk has made good with his debut feature, a story of not-quite-yet-men drawn into one of the toughest units in the Soviet Army. Set in 1987, the tail end of Russia’s conflict with Afghanistan, the timing of this project is impressive — images of ill-prepared young soldiers searching desert caves provides a modern parallel, while an officer reminds us that no-one has ever won a war against this enemy.

It looks big-budget (impressively it cost just $9 million), but despite some highly effective set-pieces, screenwriter Yuri Korotkov works it on an emotional level. That said, it doesn’t bring much to this genre that we haven’t seen before.
Verdict
Full of good intentions and scattered with more than a few gob-smacking scenes, this could have really taken it to Hollywood if only it had a little more to say than "war is hell here too."

Reviewer: Sam Toy

3 stars.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 25
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 2/3/2007 10:24:51 PM   
Fivefur

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fivefur

quote:

My wing stuff? Get off your patch?! What the hell are you babbling about?

way off thread babeeeee...................way off

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 26
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 2/3/2007 11:49:34 PM   
hozay

For any fans of War/Horror films I'd recommend The Keep 1983 (not to be confused with Castle Keep).
Directed by Michael Mann and starring Scott Glenn.

It's not going to make any top 100 lists but it's still an interesting film.The cinematography is excellent,especially the long,slow
opening scene which looked great on the big screen.
It's about a bunch of Nazis who are sent to a remote mountain village in Romania to open a mountain "keep" that's been
sealed for generations but they get more than they bargain for.The acting's not that great but passable and the low budget
special effects are surprisingly good.I wouldn't suggest racing out to buy a copy (unless it's really cheap) but if you see it at
the local video store or if it get's a late night run on telly check it out.I liked it a lot but that was on the big screen when it first
came out,I've not seen it since and not on small screen.

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 27
RE: Saints And Soldiers - For Fans Of Band Of Brothers - 5/3/2007 2:49:49 PM   
HitchHiker

Casualties of War is apretty underrated movie.Great central performance from Michael J Fox

If God had wanted us to fly he would have built the airports closer to the cities.

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 28
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 20/4/2007 1:54:26 PM   
Timon

quote:

quote:

There is a new trailer for DAYS OF GLORY - CLICK HERE

Saw this the other day at the cinema. Really enjoyed it.

A decent war film but none the tour de force I thought it would be.

It's well know how this film has changed policy in France and the final scenes are basically a big 'fuck you' at the French government but all this aside, it's a decent little war film dealing not so much is the men but what they hope to gain from it.

The Algerian corporal unites the other natives with his dream that they, like all other French soldiers, deserve some libertity, equality and fraternity despite the poor way the Army treats them denying them leave and even reading classes. This though barely inspires the other men who are either slumming it as they have nothing better to do or are interested in money and the ladies. It's a pity because Cpl Adelnbaker is the only character that you end up caring for as he sees the bigger picture while the other men seem content with their lot in life.

You feel his frustration and his final scene 60 years later is a gut punch as you realise despite all his sacrifices for France, things haven't changed.

The final battle is gripping and exciting and clearly inspired by Saving Private Ryan but with a quarter of the budget.

A decent film that deserves a larger audience

4/5 stars

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 29
RE: Saints And Soldiers And Other Unknown War Films - 20/4/2007 9:33:55 PM   
Gothzilla

Well Ive just bought the best war film ever made. and its NOT Saving Private Ryan !! In fact it kicks the crap out of SPR on almost every level. For a start its not full of American gung ho and its cast are so belevable you forget they are actors. The plot is better, its far more heartbreaking, its even more realistic, its better paced, its brutal Oh FFS its just better Ok.
The film is called Brotherhood. Its Korean ( subtitled of course ) and is possibly the greatest foreign movie Ive seen this year.
I really cannot tell you how much I love this movie. At the moment HMV have a fantastic 2 disc edition packed with docs and featurettes for the stupidly low price of £5. Please watch this film.

It can't rain all the time.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The War Film Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI