Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Halo Director Is Announced

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Halo Director Is Announced Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Halo Director Is Announced - 10/8/2006 9:55:37 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Perfect choice for the visuals.... - 10/8/2006 9:55:38 AM   
Terribly_Mauled

... but I still expect it to suck sadly. At least, until I see the first trailer on a big screen. My faith rests in Peter Jackson's judgement.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 10/8/2006 10:05:35 AM   
TheGreatEye

I'm gonna be using a 'wait and see' policy with this one. I hope it turns out to be amazing, but I'll be happy if it just manages to be very good.

Post #: 3
Master Chief - 10/8/2006 10:50:28 AM   
Tosh

who can play Master Chief?

Post #: 4
RE: Master Chief - 10/8/2006 10:52:48 AM   
Terribly_Mauled

Anyone I'd say, we're assuming the Helmet doesn't come off of course!

(in reply to Tosh)
Post #: 5
"but the current draft – by DB Weiss –... - 10/8/2006 12:17:19 PM   
masterchimp007

Why does this line send alarm bells ringing? Cool, so Alex Garland writes a draft script which actualy as something in common with the game - something (silent hill excepted) the majority of game - film adaptions fail to do, Doom and it's reluctance to actually have any demons and eeek mention the word "hell" for example (actually Dr Who adapted doom far more effectivley).
Maybe I am just being cynical and Peter Jacksons involvment is re assuring and I understand the film needs to be more than a two hour gun battle - but please at least stay true to the game - no trying to make masterchief "more human" and god forbid no love interests.

Post #: 6
- 10/8/2006 2:19:17 PM   
Hughezy

i just don't understand why Jackson wouldn't direct it himself.

Post #: 7
- 10/8/2006 2:26:26 PM   
Keenan

Let's be honest though, Master Chief is a piss poor name. Why not Master Chief Leader Boss Guy In Charge?

Post #: 8
RE: - 10/8/2006 3:34:49 PM   
boove

hahah.  mans got a point!  bobbins name!

(in reply to Keenan)
Post #: 9
RE: RE: - 10/8/2006 5:29:38 PM   
jaxploitation

master chief isnt his name, its his rank and isn't that a real rank thats used in the american army as well? I have to admit this looks promising, Alive in Joburg is a great little short and it does have Peter Jackson as producer so maybe.....

(in reply to boove)
Post #: 10
The MC - 10/8/2006 6:34:35 PM   
thepluginbaby

Post #: 11
The MC - 10/8/2006 6:36:05 PM   
thepluginbaby

Master Chief is a great cheesy name that implies that he's badass. Reminds me of that Simpsons episode: They're not police, they're not cops they're police cops...

Post #: 12
RE: The MC - 10/8/2006 7:20:46 PM   
ctu_special_agent

quote:

ORIGINAL: thepluginbaby

Master Chief is a great cheesy name that implies that he's badass. Reminds me of that Simpsons episode: They're not police, they're not cops they're police cops...

HAHA I remember that so classic, so American, you know that that's what Fox actually has in store for their next big TV venture don;t you?

Anyway, I just hope my favourite video game isn't adapted into a pisspoor B-Movie action movie that Van Damme would pass up.

But I'm fairly confident in Peter Jackson, we all know he has an eye for the grand technical side of things, so if he makes this into a big epic with excellent landscaping, lighting, cinematography, and atmosphere a la LOTR (not exactly like LOTR, but you gget the idea), we could have an amazing movie on our hands

"I get a lot of shit for being quite posh but as the old saying goes: "sticks and stones may break my bones but fuck it, I'm with bupa""

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 13
Fair enough... - 10/8/2006 10:22:12 PM   
britesparc

OK, cool, fair enough. No idea who the bloke is but I've got faith in Jackson and co, and I'm certain the Citroen ad will be better than Bay's Transformers movie. I'm a bit concerned because, well, it's an adaptation of a videogame, and because Alex Garland - who rocks - has had his script re-written, but I've still got faith. Besides which, someone eventually has to make a good game adaptation! So, yeah, bring it on - can't wait!

Post #: 14
- 10/8/2006 10:54:10 PM   
FoxDhoj

I think the Master Chief's real name/rank is Master Chief Petty Officer Spartan John-117...
I think the film will actually do well. At first I thought it would just be for the fans of the Halo games, and therefore seem a little 'geeky'. I myself am an ex-Halo/Halo 2 fan/Xbox Live Mulitplayer user gamer, and can see why this film was made, but it could just turn out to be very gung-ho and just to please the geeks. Hopefully it will be made with a lot of style. I think it should have a very dark feel, like Batman Begins had. The fact that the Master Chief is masked throughout would be great, just like V from V For Vendetta, or, to a lesser extent, Boba Fett in the original Star Wars saga. I really hope they don't cock this up. They have Universal, Fox, Peter Jackson (and partner), Weta Studios, the writer of The Beach and 28 Days Later, and the guy who did the amazing Citroen ads. Maybe even the guy who did I, Robot.

Post #: 15
- 11/8/2006 2:47:54 AM   
Chaos Engine

All video game conversions are arse-clag, apart from maybe Silent Hill, which i ain't seen. It doesn't matter how good the game was, look at Streetfighter for fuck sake! Anyone see Double Dragon with Mark Dacascos & Robert Patrick? Bloody hell!!

Post #: 16
cure gastroparesis - 11/8/2006 10:50:41 AM   
dan8210

awesome game- one of the greats alongside half life, ages of empires gta san andreas supermario 64 and goldeneye. film still gonna b fit for a compost heap. only half decent films based on games & im being generous here are tomb raider & silent hill

Post #: 17
cure gastroparesis - 11/8/2006 10:55:02 AM   
dan8210

i left out some other greats- zelda ocarina of time & shenmue

Post #: 18
Re: Master Chief - 11/8/2006 3:02:17 PM   
scotsdiver

Master Chief is the highest rank given to the ulimate bad-ass non-commisioned officers of the U.S. Navy Seals. So it kind of fits with the HALO concept.......
And so would casting Vigo Mortensen (he was the only highlight as the Master Chief in the very average GI Jane).

Post #: 19
here we go! - 11/8/2006 10:59:55 PM   
clarkkent

why are they doing this? i mean come on, very few games make good movies! And ad HAlo is just people in suits shooting aliens i cant see how people are going to see this unless they spend they're life hooked on a game which i personally think is totally over rated. Seriously, its just another bog standardshoot em up! why is that soooo ground breaking! And no MAster Chief is not a really army rank, and the fact that you know its his rank and not his name is a bit sad Jaxplotation! switch off the console, go out side and make some friends! go on, maybe you could even find a girl whos willing to ahv sex with you!

Post #: 20
Bastardman - 12/8/2006 10:08:40 AM   
monkeywrench

"I was blown away. The Halo he's attracted to is great news to the fans of the game who are into the Master Chief aspect."

The Master Cheif ASPECT!?!?! The Master Chief is the main c**nting character, he's not an ASPECT?!! they're going to screw this one up so badly. unless!!! they pump hella loads of money into this for the cgi.

Post #: 21
RE: Bastardman - 12/8/2006 3:36:59 PM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

Those short films of his are actually quite good and his style already suits what I would expect Halo to look like. Weta on the SFX and the backing of Mr Jackson... assuming the script isn't spoiled by redrafting this COULD turn into something great.

AICN interview Halo-Man
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=24139

You're not going crazy, Arthur. You're going sane in a crazy world!

(in reply to monkeywrench)
Post #: 22
Halo: Combat Devolved - 17/8/2006 2:43:39 PM   
The Jackle

O.K. so the most iconic, hyped, marketable video game in computer games history gets a director who's only real experience is in T.V. special effects, adverts with dancing robots and a short. Surly the potential for this film warrants a more experienced, influential director than Neill Blomkamp? Well it does but that's just the evidence I’ve been looking for to confirm my suspicions about Hollywood's view of the Video Game industry. They see it as the poor relation, the immature cousin. Never mind that for the last 3 years video games have made more money than movies. And as the profits for movies are in steady decline games just keep extending the lead. Their trouble is that they look at computer games and see the b-movie plots the appalling voice acting and that makes them think that the video games cannot be compared to movies. And they are right, and fact is they shouldn't. Games are not creative stories and are not meant to be. Games are designs; we should not be comparing them to movies, or novels or compositions, We should be comparing them to architecture, technology and construction. Sure Blomkamp could (and hopefully will) pull off a Shyamalan or Tarentino and create a classic but even though this is how most Super Directors make there name, most directors ain't all that super. And the fact that he got dropped for Bay on Transformers worries me greatly. However I have faith in Peter Jackson and while this film will no doubt benefit from his vision hopefully him just producing will gat rid of some of the more Pantomimic aspects of his films. Also the script should be good considering Garland's reputation, and provided they hire a guy to play Master Chief who is more Bruce Willis than Seven Segal I’m keeping my hopes up.

Post #: 23
Sigh.... - 31/8/2006 8:55:41 PM   
lordmilo

Why are you so worried? Neill Blomkamp might do a great job of it, with WETA backing at least it'll look good. After all Aliens is just people in the future shooting bugs, and that was an awesome hit!
I say give Halo a chance, after all the game story isn't exactly War and Peace is it? And people bought into that with no problem. Bugs, Humans shoot bugs, bugs die. Sequel set up. Play again?

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Halo Director Is Announced Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI