Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Please make it stop!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Please make it stop! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Please make it stop! - 9/10/2009 9:23:44 AM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

Please make it stop!

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

(in reply to mlavagna)
Post #: 91
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III Update - 9/10/2009 9:49:45 AM   
Alistair

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Still hate this whole "passing the torch" nonesense.

Agreed. Just sounds like an excuse to kick-off a new franchise to me. HOLLYWOOD, DROP DEAD!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 92
GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 13/1/2010 8:58:29 PM   
Snake-Eyes

It's looking promising...!  

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43624

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/01/13/ivan-reitman-will-direct-ghostbusters-3/

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 93
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 13/1/2010 9:18:06 PM   
Sphinx

I was kinda hoping for a passing the torch thing but it's a reunion - INDY 5, face it we're scarred cos of that. How many new editions are you gonna be scared about now? Hell I'm nervous about Mad Max 4 EVEN WITH THE NEW GUY!

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 94
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 13/1/2010 9:31:11 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sphinx
I was kinda hoping for a passing the torch thing but it's a reunion - INDY 5, face it we're scarred cos of that. How many new editions are you gonna be scared about now? Hell I'm nervous about Mad Max 4 EVEN WITH THE NEW GUY!

I guess that is another thread but we REALLY don't need INDY 5!  and believe me Sphinx, NO-ONE is more pissed off about MAD MAX IV than me! I ain't even gonna watch the sodding thing (as with Terminator Aggrevation - I won't bother!).  done properly, GHOSTBUSTERS III could be awesome!  

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 95
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 14/1/2010 10:21:50 AM   
Marwood

Well apparently Iavn Reitman is directing again according to Aint it Cool News. From a nostalgic point of view that's good news but on the other hand he hasn't exactly been knocking them out of the park in the last...well a long time anyway.

I was kind of hoping that now he's left Spider-Man Sam Raimi might have been snapped up - I think he'd be a perfect match for Ghostbusters if they really have to go through with this thing.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 96
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 14/1/2010 4:32:10 PM   
The Hooded Man

After the Frighteners I thought Peter Jackson would have been great directing a Ghostbusters film.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 97
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 14/1/2010 6:56:28 PM   
Sphinx

....Course I meant Indy 4 but you know Indy 5 might scar - Shia in Indy's clothes, Harrison Ford in a cameo, getting some swoony love interest for Mutt worse than Willie Scott

.......You know, basically your worst possible nightmare

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 98
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 14/1/2010 6:58:06 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

....Course I meant Indy 4 but you know Indy 5 might scar - Shia in Indy's clothes, Harrison Ford in a cameo, getting some swoony love interest for Mutt worse than Willie Scott

.......You know, basically your worst possible nightmare

I hear ya. Directed by Stephen Sommers - now THAT is the stuff of nightmares.

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 99
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 14/1/2010 9:31:06 PM   
TheSpleen

I'm hoping Rick Moranis unretires. As for the rumours of Bill Murray being in it as a ghost i'd prefer just the original four.
If new blood is deemed necessary how about introducing them as a rival ghost catching company with a forced team up in the 3rd act against something unstoppable. A giant pork chop perhaps.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 100
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 14/1/2010 9:38:36 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheSpleen

A giant pork chop perhaps.

What...?

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 101
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 14/1/2010 9:43:01 PM   
TheSpleen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

What...?

Tried to think of something more iconic than the giant marshmallow man or the Statue of liberty, couldn't think of one so just went with a huge porkchop. Any suggestions anyone?

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 102
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 15/1/2010 8:17:34 AM   
Sotto Voce

Do it, I say. Definately with the original cast. I could deal with a couple of newcomers, but they shouldn't be the focus.
It doesn't really need Sigourney Weaver or Rick Moranis, but it would be good.
I thought Evolution was pretty good.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 103
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 15/1/2010 12:32:14 PM   
fuzzy

When this was mooted (good word that) a couple of years ago I remember posting that I don't want the image of some middle-aged, out of shape actors in boiler suits running around the streets of New York sullying the memory of the first 2 films.

But I've changed my mind now I think. As long as the original cast and director are up for it , why not? Hopefully the chemistry is still there, and if the banter in the recent video game is anything to go by, it just might be. Plus, it's a comedy after all so middle-aged, grey haired guys with beer bellies could be a rich seam for jokes - just don't over-play it. Hell, it can't be much worse than an athritic 60 year old Indy trying to run about.

Just don't do anything stupid with it, be honest to the originals and listen to what the fans would like/expect to see. The film's core audience would be 30+ by now, so no kiddie friendly crap like Star Wars prequels. Not saying it needs 'adult' material but a few grown up jokes or innuendos would'nt go a miss (much like the originals).

< Message edited by fuzzy -- 15/1/2010 12:33:04 PM >

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 104
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 15/1/2010 2:08:35 PM   
jobloffski

Made up on the spot...You'll be able to tell

But the following contains one daring joke of epic proprtions

1) No time wasted with a plot to reunite the team. Start with the boys still having been working the whole time. Perhaps a fully fledged busting opening sequence. No effort made to hide portliness, in fact. focus on it, with perhaps parody of Bay slo-mo heroes walking shots. Shoot sequence as though it's totally straight action sequence, with ludicrously heroic facial expression close ups.

Ludicrously enthusiastic hi-fiving when ghost is busted...this cues up the theme song...

slightly obvious twist, it's a dream Ray is having about how amazing the GBs are to him, but worth a little obviousness to create a nod to the iconic status GBs have to the fans, then have Ray wake up, they're as fractious as they ever were, and being older, they're as likely to have people call them Gutbusters as Ghostbusters.

2) To be honest, they're mostly a bit tired of the work, bit jaded, a joke is used about the fact nobody can tell if Venkman is jaded, he always seems jaded about everything...blah blah bah...

3) Some suggestions that maybe the time has come to retire and let rival companies take up the slack. Hell, they can't even be bothered to continue legal action to try and stop a rival using the name GhostDusters'. Only Ray still has the enthisiasm he has always had. Blah blah blah...

4) Main plot arc, build up to the usual end of the world scenario, this time involving Shangaloria, a minion of Death, who covets Death's job. So much so that he's just going to do it. All in one fell swoop. Collect every single mortal soul, without the tedium of having to wait for people to die...He does it. There is nobody left. Nobody left but the Ghostbusters and their rivals, dealing as they do with materials crossing the borders betwen life and death, their equipment has emanated waves that their bodies have absorbed and protected them from the incantations of shangaloria.

5) The shakedown...Ghostbusters and rivals have to cross portals of mortality to face down death and all his minions, none of whom are ghosts in the traditional sense. But that's okay, having crossed the portals of mortality, GBs and rivals are not alive in the traditional sense (for the time being. They have to reverse the effect of Shangaloria's incantations, by either finding the appropriate ass to kick, or by blowing up whatever needs to be blown up to achieve the reversal. A wrong turning on the roads of mortality leads them to hell. Naturally, they need to go through hell to get to their goal (ahem)

random sample lines:

Why does hell look like new york? (gotta keep the iconic setting, people)

Winston: I knew something like this would happen

Venkman (dry). Oh, yeah, me too...I called it...(getting bit more panicky but still well within deadpan range) this very actual specific thing...hah, you guys don't know shit. Do ya? Uh? Do Ya...Who are WE gonna call?'

Ray? GhostDusters?

Venkman: Those pricks? Those two bit, no grit, dumb shit jugmeisters? Those buttfaced monkey humpin...

Pause, because Ray has starting wincing at the comments

V: They're behind me, aren't they, Ray?

R: No.

Slight relief from Venkman,

R: They're just slightly to your left

(cut out of the close up used for the insult delivery to wider shot. Yup. There's the GhostDusters).

V: Er...hiya fellas.

GDs: (sullen but awakward, not combative) Venkman....

ETC.

Anyway, all's well that ends well, Weaver/Murray banter present and correct,

Slimer features as a necessary evil, to partially open the portals of mortality (but in no way should slimer be able to communicate,with them, they just work out how he can help and have to tempt him to where they need him to be. All but Venkman get slimed. He's chuffed).

The Ghostbusters get the heroic facial expressionstuff going on again at the end. But not before Ray has made ludicrous attempts to wake himself up, due to the similarity between the showdown scenario and his dream. The solution to the situation is in his dream. Egon has to hypnotise Ray to access the solution, which happens as apparently infinite numbers of deaths minions converge on the heroes...closer, ever closer, with quips from venkman as he gets more deadpan, the more scared he gets...The incantation reversed (via Ray 'speaking in tongues' with an attendant joke/what's he saying/he always sounds like that to me). Maybe Death himself helps, in order to keep himself in work when its over.

In a daring joke of epic proprtions, this story allows future stories to be told of the GhostDusters, thereby passing on the franchise torch, but without having to make heading over the mantle of the franchise the story, so the original crew can dominate proceedings during their final shot at the big screen.

Total bollocks perhaps, but a partial recipe for a potential having cake/eating it type deal.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 15/1/2010 2:32:28 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 105
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 15/1/2010 6:06:29 PM   
Sotto Voce

They sound like some pretty good ideas. I would say kill the 'Ghost Dusters' off, though. They get done in by the bad guy, thus giving GB the main share of the market again.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 106
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 15/1/2010 6:27:04 PM   
jobloffski

That's probably better, Sotto. Would also allow for a cool switch in tone from jokey backbiting to...OMG...actual darkness in a GB film, and the threat to the lives of the GB's is now real...I think a third film could benefit from such a jolt, just so it wouldn't be an attempt to replicate what worked previously too slavishly.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 107
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 16/1/2010 7:54:40 PM   
Sphinx

quote:

quote:

quote:

What...?

Tried to think of something more iconic than the giant marshmallow man or the Statue of liberty, couldn't think of one so just went with a huge porkchop. Any suggestions anyone?

The Haribo kid, the cola santa clause, grumpy bear? Oh the potential ad endorsements are endless!!

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 108
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 16/1/2010 9:12:03 PM   
TheSpleen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What...?

The Haribo kid, the cola santa clause, grumpy bear? Oh the potential ad endorsements are endless!!

Awesome idea, how scary would that be! Or maybe Ronald Mcdonald that would shit me up!!

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 109
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 16/1/2010 11:15:57 PM   
kumar

quote:

quote:

quote:

What...?

Twinkys. Im sure Egon compared ghosts to twinkys at some point in the films.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 110
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 17/1/2010 11:22:07 AM   
TheSpleen

That's a big twinky!

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 111
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 17/1/2010 11:56:45 AM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

That's probably better, Sotto. Would also allow for a cool switch in tone from jokey backbiting to...OMG...actual darkness in a GB film, and the threat to the lives of the GB's is now real...I think a third film could benefit from such a jolt, just so it wouldn't be an attempt to replicate what worked previously too slavishly.

Come to think of it, did anyone actually get killed in the original 2 films? Wouldn't want to get too dark. You can always have peoples' souls returned to them, or some such thing.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 112
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 17/1/2010 12:31:10 PM   
jobloffski

Given the fact they're bustin dead people, it shouldn't be too dark to have death in the film. Or perhaps even have the big bad as someone who blames the ghostbusters for his death (with the ghost Dusters actually being to blame) or something.

However judging from what I read last night (can't be arsed to look for the news link again) the word is that the torch will be passed to 'hot chick' ghostbusters.

That's possibly even a bigger mistake than next gen bloke 'busters and even further away from the real reason the orginal worked, the banter between the original personalities of the original film counterpointed with the hokey craziness of the scenario.

Unless they are going to allow the originals to dominate, they may as well start off with new ghostbusters in the first place and either not have the guys back at all or have the merest of cameos for the guys (eg, they're in a bar together new as busters pass, one coment about the new busters such as 'who are those pricks?' and leave it at that. And if it's chick 'busters, have Venkman perve as they pass...Venkman: Four of them, four of us, you thinking what I'm thinking?/Rest: No...we're thinking you cause a scene, we go to jail/Venkman: Oh come on, how many times did that happen?/Rest: Three)

Passing the torch storylines don't do the older characters or the newer characters any favours, because it makes the older characters half arsed self parodies and the newer ones not as iconic as the older ones who are disappointing us in the new film USED to be. Plus the old balance between characters is knocked off beam by the addition of further characters (the scrappy doo effect), so there's little chance of recapturing whatever old feeling made the earlier movies work.

So why bother? Other than the studio having a golden opportunity to exploit an established property and make a lot of money without having to come up with new ideas.

I'd really like to see a Ghostbusters III. But any passing the torch stuff, if it has to feature at all should not be a main thread running through the film, not IMO. because the foursome banter of sarcastic Venkman, goofy Ray, Brainbox Egon, laconic Winston, with the final third of the film shifting the character mode to slightly more heroic for the final shakedown (but still with fractious tension between characters) is what has resulted in anybody still wanting more.

So do that with the guys, or rework the basic formula for a new team from the off. And how to tell the story of how of how any new team came together? Don't bother. Look at how MIB2 was ruined by the screen time wasted bringing Tommy Lee Jones back when all they needed to do was have him back at work, have Smith furrow his brow when he sees him, ask what he's doing there, have Jones say 'No time to explain, Slick, we got work to do', then get on with the film and never explain his return at all.

Re passing the torch movies...Look upon Indy 4, (with it's efforts to add youth to the mix rather than making a more subtle use of Indy's age for the whole film and it's 'let's get Marion back but basically dump all over her characteristics as earlier established' malarkey). And tremble.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 17/1/2010 1:20:43 PM >

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 113
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 17/1/2010 1:46:52 PM   
Sotto Voce

Absolutely. Without the original core cast, not worth it. No doubt there will be some gorgeous young thing and sad attempts to get her attention, but that's okay. There have to be some peripheral characters not from the previous movies.
Hopefully yhe report of passing the torch to 'hit chicks' is bull.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 114
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 17/1/2010 6:33:35 PM   
mlavagna

INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE GHOSTBUSTERS III 1 Do not make it a passing of the torch story. People have been waiting more than twenty years to see the characters that we all know and fondly remember. If the film introduces new Ghostbusters characters it will remove the spotlight from Aykroyd, Murray, Ramis and Hudson, and that's the last thing we want to happen, especially having not seen them for so very long. When you're reunited with an old friend you that you've missed dearly you want to spend quality time with them not just have a quick chat. The other thing is that these actors work extremely well as an ensemble. I very much doubt they'll be able to recreate the same formula by diluting the mix with a new group of characters. The originals have a unique group dynamic and compliment eachother perfectly. The spotlight should firmly be plased on them as it was in the previous two films. 2 GHOSTBUSTERS III should be the last one. The End. Finished. No fourth or fifth film. It should stop at three. I don't want Ghostbusters to turn into a long succession of films which, let's face it, will obviously get progressively worse. It's always better to leave the audience wanting a little more rather than try to keep going until the whole thing runs out of steam. Make the third film the last film. Finish on a high note. Go out on top. End it with quality and dignity by making a satisfying and worthy sequel. 3 Do not saturate the film in computer generated effects. Yes creating special effects is far easier and far cheaper than it was back in the 80s but just because something can be done it doesn't mean that it should be done. Special effects are a part of Ghostbusters but they were only a very small part of what made Ghostbusters, particularly the original Ghostbusters film, so entertaining. The original film actually had very few special effects in it. 4 For the scenes that do require special effects, do not generate all of them by computer. There's something special, something endearing about the special effects which have been created physically. Matte paintings, puppetry, animatronics, minatures, stop motion building sets...it's a lost art which for this film should be reintroduced. Why? Firstly it will give the film a nostalgic look and feel which I think is important for this particular film. I also think that creating the special effects this way will give the film some uniqueness and originality that will be unlike other special effects movies. The other reason why I think that they should revert back to these older methods is because in my opinion, when done right, they look even better than todays computer generated effects. I think that the only effects that should be computer generated are the proton streams. 5 Use the original no ghost logo. It's the second most recognisable logo in the world, right after Coca Cola. No need to replace it. 6 Ghostbusters should smoke just as they did in the original. Ghostbusting is a stressful and demanding job. There's something about the smoking of a cigarette that adds to a films realism. 7 Do not try to disguise the fact that its been twenty years since Ghostbusters II. Ghostbusters III should be set in the present and the fact that the characters are all twenty years older shouldn't be hidden in any way. They're much older, they've put on weight, they ache in places that never used to ache but they still manage to get the job done. It's just harder than it was since we last saw them. 8 Slimer is a pest not a pet. He should make an appearance some time in the film but not hanging about the fire station. He also must look like the ugly menace that he appeared as in the first film not the cute lovable character from the second film. 9 Elmer Bernsteins score. Elmer Bernsteins sadly passed away a few years ago however I think that his score should be brought back. They must find a talented composer who can recreate Bernsteins sound in older to make it sound as though Ghostbusters III has been scored by the man himself. 10 Use Ray Parker Jrs original theme. No covers or remixex. No need. 11 Do not have any credits at beginning of the film. The previous two didn't. 12 Do not change their equipment. The proton packs, traps, ecto goggles, pke meter etc should be kept. Perhaps the introduction of some new equipment on top of what they already have would be good. 13 Keep the Ecto 1. 14 Do not have the characters needlessly reference the previous films. 15 The story should be entirely original and not connected to either of the previous two films. An entirely new villain, enemy, mythology should be created. 16 The Ghostbusters need to be given a personal motivation for saving the day. In the first it was to avoid prison, in the second it was to save a baby, perhaps in the third it could be to correct a mistake that they have the responsibility of putting right.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 115
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 18/1/2010 8:43:24 AM   
Sotto Voce

Pretty comprehensive. I think I agree with most of it. If this one is good, surely we can at least toy with the idea of another one.....

(in reply to mlavagna)
Post #: 116
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 20/1/2010 12:01:54 AM   
mlavagna

A fourth film? I don't think that that's such a good idea. I think making a third film is pushing it as it is. I think that whenever a sequel is made it should always tell a story which is original and offer something new and different. I can understand the appeal of nostalgia but in terms of freshness I don't really see what more they can offer in making a third film never mind a fourth. Ghostbusters is a great premise but I don't think that it has the range of possibilities that films like Indiana Jones, James Bond or Star Wars have. I think it's much more restrictive storywise. The passing the torch to a new team idea sounds extremely unoriginal and predictable. It doesn't interest me at all. I love Ghostbusters but I really don't see what more they can do with it without it feeling like a movie which is traipsing over old ground, ground may I add, which has already been walked over twice.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 117
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 20/1/2010 12:11:51 AM   
Sugarman Treacle

Well, if they're going to make Ghostbusters III there's only one man who can direct it. With Reitman onboard it can be all bad.

I'm turning turning turning turning turning around, and all that I can see is just a yellow lemmon-tree...

(in reply to mlavagna)
Post #: 118
RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! - 20/1/2010 1:31:30 AM   
mlavagna

Reitman directed Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters ll. I don't see why he shouldn't direct the third one.

(in reply to Sugarman Treacle)
Post #: 119
GHOSTBUSTERS III - 30/8/2010 10:32:08 PM   
Snake-Eyes

some sort of news - http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/21486

(in reply to mlavagna)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Please make it stop! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI