Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 3/8/2006 3:35:57 PM   
Gwilly

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Rambo - 3/8/2006 5:27:19 PM   
Atomhammer

I actually really enjoyed this and the older i get the more i seem to enjoy. Not just for the fantastic orchestral score that builds rumbling under the unfold scenes.

The cartoon ultraviolence of the sequels has diluted this movies impact but i find it an unforgettable and emotional rollercoaster of a movie. Its not for everyone but its got fine drama, dennehey especially good turn as the sherrif who pushes to hard. Credit to stallone also for a rather subtle performance buy his standards.

Then comes the action - ill never forget the mountain chase and jump scene and the escape from the police station is still gripping even now. Its a pity the sequels were so so so bad!
For my tastes this is an endlessly rewatchable movie and so i give it 5.

< Message edited by Atomhammer -- 3/8/2006 5:30:02 PM >

~ Do We Believe What We See or See What We believe ~

Post #: 3
RE: First Blood - 4/8/2006 7:44:22 AM   
Dr Geek

First Blood is a hughly entertaining film. I think the trick is not to take it too seriously its a Saturday night 'popcorn' movie, with enough explosions and death scenes to make 'the Governor Of California' cringe.
I watched it for the first time only a few years ago and I loved every second of it. I know people give it a bad rap sometimes but I think its one of the finest action films. Raw, gritty and plenty of kick ass fight scenes.  ****

'I don't want to belong to any club that would have someone like me as a member.' Woody Allen quoting Groucho Marx
'That Rabbits Dynamite....Brother Maynard, bring
us the Holy Hand grenade' King Arthur
Power to the people who punish bad cinema!

Post #: 4
RE: First Blood - 4/8/2006 3:51:48 PM   
MOTH

And underrated action movie and much more low key than Rambo's reputation would suggest (that was based more on the woeful sequels anyway).
Stallone is actually very good in this, especially in his partly incoherent but still quite affecting final outburst and there's good support from Dennehy. Pity they didn't finish like the book where, in quite a sad ending, both Teasle and Rambo die.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Dr Geek)
Post #: 5
RE: First Blood - 4/8/2006 4:22:06 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

First Blood makes some pretty serious points about the treatment of Vietnam vets. I think it's an excellent movie - the sequels are a joke compared to this one.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 6
Rambo rules! - 21/3/2008 5:24:23 AM   
nc_jj

Sylvester Stallone fu***** rules. Well, back then, ruled.

Post #: 7
First Blood - 9/8/2008 9:41:13 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Easily Stallone's finest hour. The first RAMBO outing is, of course, the best but it also still serves as a blueprint for a lot of modern action cinema. I hate it when people slag Stallone off as a non-thinking neanderthal when he quite clearly has carved out a career and screen legacy that most could only dream of. to hell with yer Bales and Depps - Sly's haunted Vietnam Vet is the original and the best! Jerry Goldsmith's beautiful score is probably one of the greatest ever written. A true classic from a time when action movies kicked serious nuts and made no apologies for it.

Post #: 8
The birth of a legend - 20/9/2009 2:39:47 PM   
Smootle

How could they have known what they were up against? Ifmonly they could have somehow been shown rambo 2,3 and 4 before they decided to give him that fateful haircut and de-lousing. This mans a war vet - a trained killer - that's all he knows. And he happens to love his hair - on his head.

The best bit of the movie is sly's speech at the end. what a piece of acting. You might take it all in the firast time if you speak 'blubbering sly;' but it'll probably take a couple of watches. A slighty miore serious film then the others in the serious. A tad more believable at least.

Post #: 9
RE: The birth of a legend - 10/11/2009 9:46:49 PM   
hampstead bandit

GREAT FILM - POOR BLU-RAY

had not seen this film for some years, although had fond memories of it

recently bought "Rambo" (film #4) on Blu-Ray and loved it

found First Blood on Blu-Ray, and duly purchased it

the film itself was great, with some bits I did not remember from memory

but I was quite disappointed in the HD quality - perhaps because its an old film, or the transfer was done without due care?

it seemed very murky, and lacking sharpness, quite flat in places and the sound seemed a bit inconsistent

maybe we are spoiled by more recent films being transferred, and older films just don't have the resolution and lighting contrast of the recent films?

I got the feeling that if I had bought First Blood on DVD (about half the price of the Blu) I would not have noticed ANY difference considering my Blu-Ray player is quite nifty at upscaling DVDs

anyone else seen First Blood on Blu?

< Message edited by hampstead bandit -- 10/11/2009 9:47:34 PM >

(in reply to Smootle)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> First Blood Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI