Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sick of Star Wars!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> RE: Sick of Star Wars! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 2/8/2006 11:17:28 AM   
on a friday

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS i am sooooooooooo fed up with all this star wars crap...near enough every issue out of 2 has some "new" way to look at star wars....if i wanted a fanzine id buy lucas weekly!
Ohh and putting down a list of OTHER peoples memories is just really lazy journalism
and the only reason it annoys me so much is because when you do write something yourselves about something other than a franchise that ran outta steam over 20 years ago its normally really insightfull and interesting

gods fantastic, he dropped a church roof on 36 of his followers yesterday while they were grovelling to his majesty(manhunter)

(in reply to Joliet68)
Post #: 61
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 2/8/2006 12:08:38 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: RuffKut

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Unfortunately it doesn't matter what I think because when the ORIGINAL ORIGINAL films are released on DVD there will not doubt be more pointless Star Wars writings and yes I will read the article probably forming at the mouth no less.

The "ORIGINAL ORIGINAL films" are being released on DVD in 4 weeks time, that's why the SW Memories piece was written.

Hmm so when the DVD of the Originals are actually on sale there won't be anymore Star Wars pieces? This "Memories" bit is the last?

Yes, always.

(in reply to RuffKut)
Post #: 62
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 4/8/2006 7:30:19 PM   
incredibledisc

quote:

ORIGINAL: simassey

I love the films and enjoy reading the articles in Empire but there has been a hell of a lot of coverage of the films in Empire and for those that dont like it I can see how it gets annoying. I would imagine thought that coverage of these films along with Bond, and Lord of the Rings, gives them a sales bump for those issues where there isn't something else to grab the casual reader.

Have to laugh at those complaining about Lucas releasing the originals over and over. There have only been 2 major releases of the original trilogy in the last 10 years (the SEs in 1997 on VHS and the DVDs in 2004). Hardly again and again and again and with the amount of re-releases of DVDs with the occasional extra, SW hardly stands alone in this. If you are counting the repackaged versions in 2002 and 2005, this is no different 2 any other film (usually tied into the release of a sequel) so not sure why we are singling out SW here ? Do you feel a need to rush out and buy a repackaged version ?? There is also no 3D release next year - it is likely to be 3-4 years at least for that. But can you blame them for considering this ? I doubt it will be the only one - Cameron, Jackson and Zemeckis have all expressed an interest.

This new release however is a major disappointment. Great the he has decided to release the originals, but the lack of anamorphic enhancement and restoration makes it pretty pointless.

Precisely. I'm actually very suprised that a magazine like Empire made no mention of the kerfuffle Lucasfilm have caused with their release of the "original, original." No mention of how the latest release is actually the Special Editions (again! is ther anyone out there who didn't purchase the box set, which, by the way is cheaper) with the ancient laserdisc versions tacked on as a "fun bonus" (that's a direct quote from the LFL press release) however, you could be forgiven for thinking otherwise due to the hugely misleading advertising campaign accompanying the release which claims the release is of the original on dvd for the first time because we demanded it. No anamorphic enhancement, no restoration (despite Robert Harris the man who restored Laurence of Arabia offering his services!) No sale!

Does Lucas need the money that badly? Is he planning on using the proceeds to corner the international gingham market so he can get his shirts cheaper?

(in reply to simassey)
Post #: 63
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 5/8/2006 2:18:48 PM   
Sutty

The orginal trilogy was made 20 odd years ago now, and the new ones were good films but no more (certainly phantom menace and clones were mainly filler, with most of what people wanted to know and see coming in sith) All the films have been celebrated and "given their due" countless times. And as for saying "if you don;t want to read it then don't", I think one of the main points we're trying to make is that these pages could be taken up with other, just as interesting/entertaining articles.

How about "celebrating" some other movies now. As the Star Wars party line is feeling somewhat threadbare.

Note to Empire: Still love the mag tho!

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 64
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 5/8/2006 3:15:53 PM   
Orbital

quote:

quote:

Fuck STAR WARS!

Yes the original changed cinema but please stop focusing on the crippled franchise! Move on get over the bollocks that was Episode I-3! Return of the Jedi isn't even that good...fucking ewoks!
ORIGINAL: Hex

I was just thinking this the other night. I am sick to back teeth of this shit every bloody issue. If there isnt a review of some new edition theres a whole section dedicated to "How Star Wars Changed My Life" or a poster or a free "Everything you needed to know about Star Wars" book.

There is officially nothing new you can say about Star Wars. Give it up!

I agree, its dead although Lucas will refuse to admit it and try to milk the franchise some more with some more ewok cartoons, jar-jar toys, prequels and so on.

I'm a cult scifi fan ( loved metropolis, buck rodgers, 2001 ) and I'm sick of seeing all the crap about this stupid starwars rubbish
Hewitt's five star review of AOTC was bull, it's about time they let Starwars RIP

I'd be saying the same thing if it was Empire putting CaptainKirk/Worf posters in every issue and dedicating endless pages to some trekkie rubbish that came out in the 60s

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 65
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 6/8/2006 5:38:47 PM   
James2183

I think people are failing to see that every other film magazine this month is also featuring Star Wars in one form or another. This months Total Film has a long interview with Rick McCallum, DVD review has a special on it and I do believe HotDog does as well. So it's not like Empire are the only ones featuring Star Wars. 

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 66
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 6/8/2006 6:28:12 PM   
Dick Jones

Bloody James 1138 and his Lucas apologist ways...

'Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small headed man of limited means, who lost a fight with a chicken. '

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 67
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 6/8/2006 6:37:52 PM   
James2183

Lucas bitch all the way. 

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Dick Jones)
Post #: 68
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 6/8/2006 8:32:36 PM   
Axel Foley

Lucas could've released the films on a turd and it would've created excitement. Fact is this is a shameful treatment of the fans that have supported the films over the years. Yes we wanted to see the OT as it was, hence the "by popular demand", but we didn't expect it to be a transfer of the old laserdiscs (which many people already have on DVD/VCD) and as an extra for the shabby re-issues. And then all the cheeky retailers market the DVDs as the first time the original theatrical cut has been availbale on DVD! Contradictory or what?

To be honest the current issue isn't great in general. Yet more ultimate previews (how many forthcoming films features can Empire possibly do in one year, once upon a time we had two for Winter and Summer, now every month seems to have such cheap filler). There are some intersting releases this month, A Scanner Darkly for example, which would've provided perfect material for more detailed features.

The DVD essays are very good though, so it ain't all doom and gloom...

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 69
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 9/8/2006 10:51:21 PM   
Private Hudson

quote:

Fuck STAR WARS!

Yes the original changed cinema but please stop focusing on the crippled franchise! Move on get over the bollocks that was Episode I-3! Return of the Jedi isn't even that good...fucking ewoks!

Is that the biggest understatement of your cyber-life or what?

Star Wars is still the biggest deal in moviedom, like it or not.

BTW ROTJ is pretty good, Ewoks or not. It was a parable about the Vietnam war.... apparently!

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 70
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 10/8/2006 7:26:09 AM   
impqueen

Aliens is a better parable, I can understate a hell of a lot more if you wish

Before 1977 and Star Wars

Save the Tiger - (1973, John G. Avildsen)
Lenny - (1974, Bob Fosse)
Marathon Man - (1976, John Schlesinger)
The Man Who Fell to Earth - (1976, Nicolas Roeg)
The Man Who Would Be King - (1975, John Huston)
The Sunshine Boys - (1975, Herbert Ross)
Cabaret - (1972, Bob Fosse)
Don't Look Now - (1973, Nicolas Roeg)
A Touch of Class - (1973, Melvin Frank)
Klute - (1971, Alan J. Pakula)
The Candidate - (1972, Michael Ritchie)
The Ruling Class - (1972, Peter Medak)
The Godfather - (1972, Francis Ford Coppola)
The Godfather part II - (1974, Francis Ford Coppola)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - (1975, Milos Forman)
Chinatown - (1974, Roman Polanski)
A Clockwork Orange - (1971, Stanley Kubrick)
Taxi Driver - (1976, Martin Scorsese)
Network - (1976, Sydney Lumet)
Patton - (1970, Franklin J. Schaffner)
M*A*S*H - (1970, Robert Altman)
The Exorcist - (1973, William Friedkin)
The French Connection - (1971, William Friedkin)
Mean Streets - (1973, Martin Scorsese)
Blazing Saddles - (1974, Mel Brooks)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show - (1975, Jim Sharmon)
Serpico - (1973, Sydney Lumet)
Young Frankenstein - (1974, Mel Brooks)
Deliverance - (1972, John Boorman)
Barry Lyndon - (1975, Stanley Kubrick)
The Sting - (1973, George Roy Hill)
Dog Day Afternoon - (1975, Sydney Lumet)
Five Easy Pieces - (1970, Bob Rafelson)
The Conversation - (1974, Francis Ford Coppola)
The Last Picture Show - (1971, Peter Bogdanovich)
Nashville - (1975, Robert Altman)
McCabe and Mrs. Miller - (1971, Robert Altman)
All the President's Men - (1976, Alan J. Pakula)
Dirty Harry - (1971, Don Siegel)
Badlands - (1973, Terrence Malick)
Carrie - (1976, Brian De Palma)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - (1974, Tobe Hooper)
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore - (1974, Martin Scorsese)
Bound for Glory - (1976, Hal Ashby)
Bananas - (1971, Woody Allen)  
Sleeper - (1973, Woody Allen)
A Woman Under the Influence - (1974, John Cassavetes)
The Last Detail - (1973, Hal Ashby)

After 1977 and Star Wars- Hollywood lost interest in challenging films and instead threw stupid amounts of moey at  undeserving Blockbusters. The eighties weren’t terrible and produced some great films however hardly any match up to those American films produced prior to 1977 and American cinema has been flagging ever since . Star Wars did change cinema but whether for better or worse is of personal opinion I’d rather read an in-depth article about one of the above than article 1, 564, 978 on Star Wars which was my original point.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 71
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 10/8/2006 1:05:01 PM   
Joliet68

One in the eye for Star Wars (taken from IMBb)

Which of the following mega-popular film series do you love the most? (Suggested by David B.)

Votes

The Lord of the Rings trilogy
(27.8%)

The Star Wars series
(21.7%)

The Godfather trilogy
(14.4%)

The Indiana Jones trilogy
(10.4%)

The Back to the Future trilogy
(9.4%)

Other
(5.3%)

The Die Hard trilogy
(3.7%)

The Matrix trilogy
(3.0%)

The Terminator trilogy

(2.6%)

The Lethal Weapon series

(1.6%)
A total of 3800 votes were collected.

< Message edited by Joliet68 -- 10/8/2006 1:06:20 PM >

Eddie: My Great-Uncle Percy was in the trenches of the first world war. You know what he used to say?
Richie: What?
Eddie: AAH! BLOODY HELL! GERMANS! THOUSANDS OF 'EM! AAAH!

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 72
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 10/8/2006 1:30:02 PM   
words

Urrrrgh, that poll just makes things worse. Those Lord of the Rings films bored the pants off me (I couldn't even face watching the third one!)

(in reply to Joliet68)
Post #: 73
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 11/8/2006 5:20:55 PM   
chris_scott01

quote:

ORIGINAL: words

Urrrrgh, that poll just makes things worse. Those Lord of the Rings films bored the pants off me (I couldn't even face watching the third one!)

You must have the attention span and emotional capability of a hankerchief then.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to words)
Post #: 74
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 11/8/2006 5:46:21 PM   
chris_scott01

Ever since Star Wars there has been Star Wars haters.  You bitch about the fact that everyone keeps going on about the films but all the whining annoys the fans just as much.  Whichever side you're on you're pissed off at someone.

quote:

After 1977 and Star Wars- Hollywood lost interest in challenging films and instead threw stupid amounts of moey at  undeserving Blockbusters. The eighties weren’t terrible and produced some great films however hardly any match up to those American films produced prior to 1977 and American cinema has been flagging ever since . Star Wars did change cinema but whether for better or worse is of personal opinion I’d rather read an in-depth article about one of the above than article 1, 564, 978 on Star Wars which was my original point.

I agree Star Wars did change cinema and yes it's up to opinion whether better or worse, but it is Hollywood's fault for the crappy blockbusters that followed not Star Wars'.  Lucas has every right to make those films without being blamed for every blockbuster that tried to copy his formula.  If you're going to point fingers point them to Hollywood and leave Lucas alone, he's just a man wanting to tell a story. 

I wonder, if you made a film that was a major hit if you wouldn't 'milk' it and make double you're money on merchandise.  Lucas did want to break free of Hollywood and become independant, if merchandise helps you do that what's the problem?  No one was obligated to buy it.  I think many people who criticise Lucas' franchising habits are jealous.  Some may even feel threatened that their favourite films will be forgotten...hardly.  Talk of films like Taxi Driver and Chinatown will always be there.  They're excellent films, they can survive on their own 2 feet, just don't get all testy coz a lot of people happen to like a certain film.  Do you hear masses of Star Wars fans ranting on about how much they hate your favourite films?

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 75
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 12/8/2006 2:53:49 PM   
bigrover20

Please add me to the roll-call of hate.
I have just posted a message on the boards without realising this thread was here.
I thought it was just me!
Yet another massive feature on a dead franchise (where only two of the six films have been watchable anyway) in this months issue.
Empire, you are better than this. PLEASE STOP IT NOW!

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 76
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 13/8/2006 1:22:13 AM   
Artoo02

I'm sick of people slagging off Star Wars all the time. Can we have an article about it please Empire?

"Let us go forth together in search of the treasure of Lapis Lazuli! Have no fear. Space is deformed on the night of the new moon."
----
"Star Wars is Forever, Roger. And you can Suck it."

(in reply to bigrover20)
Post #: 77
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 13/8/2006 1:40:18 AM   
sanchia

I don't hate Star Wars but a break of a year or so would be nice.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 78
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 13/8/2006 6:56:36 PM   
Private Hudson

I nearly pissed myself when that poster put Save the Tiger up as the first film in his line of classics!

post-Star Wars we have some interesting movies also.

But remember, it is just our opinions.

In fact there are too many good movies to mention since Star Wars, but here goes:

1978 - Superman
1979 - Deer Hunter
1980 - Heaven's Gate, Airplane!
1981 - Chariots of Fire, Raiders of the Lost Ark
1982 - ET, The Thing, Star Trek II, Sophie's Choice
1983 - The Right Stuff
1984 - Gremlins, Terminator, Top Secret!
1985 - Big Trouble in Little China, Back to the Future, Witness, The Goonies
1986 - Salvador, Aliens, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Ruthless People
1987 - Last Emperor, The Untouchables
1988 - Die Hard, The Naked Gun!
1989 -
1990 - Goodfellas, Dances with Wolves
1991 -JFK
1992 - Reservoir Dogs, Unforgiven
1993 -
1994 - Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption
1995 - Usual Suspects, The Rock
1997 - Face/Off
2000 - Memento

I can't be bothered trawling through every year...

I shall leave that to others.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 79
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 14/8/2006 2:42:20 PM   
words

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris_scott01

quote:

You must have the attention span and emotional capability of a hankerchief then.

You're a very perceptive person, my wife would agree (mind you she found The Lord of the Rings trilogy boring too! ).

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 80
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 14/8/2006 5:41:15 PM   
Chris Hewitt

Where's that big picture of a merry-go-round that I used to use for threads such as this? I had it a second ago...

Silly Empire man who asks BORING questions!

(in reply to words)
Post #: 81
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 14/8/2006 7:52:20 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

Trust me you didn't miss much.

(in reply to words)
Post #: 82
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 15/8/2006 5:10:41 PM   
words

By the way, since we're on the subject of Star Wars (and I don't want to start another thread on the subject) its always bugged me why they don't have Social Services on Tatooine.

I mean, in TPM, Ani's mother lets this kid who looks about 5 sit on load of rocket fuel and fly around (kind of dangerous), then She lets him go off with a couple of dodgy looking geezers she's only just met! What's wrong with the woman? Don't you find it kind of disturbing when you see little Ani and rather mature Natalie Portman together in TPM that they start having it off in the next film? Or am going too deeply into all this.....

Fell free not to bother responding to this rant, I just had to get it off my chest!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 83
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 15/8/2006 5:19:32 PM   
Joliet68

I'm sorry Chris.  Is the unhappiness of the masses disturbing your sleep up there in your tower?

(before you get all arsey... )

< Message edited by Joliet68 -- 15/8/2006 5:20:07 PM >

Eddie: My Great-Uncle Percy was in the trenches of the first world war. You know what he used to say?
Richie: What?
Eddie: AAH! BLOODY HELL! GERMANS! THOUSANDS OF 'EM! AAAH!

(in reply to Chris Hewitt)
Post #: 84
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 15/8/2006 5:40:42 PM   
jamesharris

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183
What is exactly wrong with being nostalgic about a great set of films?

Not much IF there is anything new to say about it, is there?

Has fans first memories been covered before?

well if they have its pointless to do it again and if they haven't its probably because it sounds like barrel scraping filler

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 85
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 16/8/2006 12:34:44 AM   
Orbital

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

this franchise is one of the most popular ever

So  you mean its bigger than Big-Brother, Transformers, the Muppets, Star Trek, Coranation Street and all the other junk people watch ?
http://www.empireonline.com/features/events/starwars_episode2/review.shtm
Chris Hewitt's Five-Star review of Attack o the Clones has now been erased from the system !!

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 86
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 20/8/2006 1:52:40 PM   
PatBateman

Another thread on Star Wars was just closed by one of the mods because there are plenty of other threads already going. Anyone else see the irony there?

WARNING: I may google your name because I'm a bit nosey.

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 87
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 20/8/2006 2:02:58 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: PatBateman

Another thread on Star Wars was just closed by one of the mods because there are plenty of other threads already going. Anyone else see the irony there?

Yes. Yes I can.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to PatBateman)
Post #: 88
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 20/8/2006 5:03:01 PM   
Henry JW

I thought Empire was bad but DVD Review and Total Film have both included articles this month spanning several pages long on some DVD news - or at least that's what it was meant to be, they found the time to lengthen the article to accomadate more information about how star wars was born...again.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 89
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 21/8/2006 5:38:36 PM   
impqueen

Just a quick question is Empire planning a 30th Anniversary celebration of Star Wars next year? You know any excuse kind of thing?

Yes, always.

(in reply to Henry JW)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> RE: Sick of Star Wars! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI