Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sick of Star Wars!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> RE: Sick of Star Wars! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 31/7/2006 4:29:52 PM   
sanchia

I was actually just flipping through the magazine to see if I could find another article deserving of the banner headline on the front cover.  Seems to be a bit of a slow month so I think I can forget my previous comment.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 31
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 31/7/2006 4:31:28 PM   
theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: punchdrunk

Im bloody sick of you lot complaining.

Hey where the hell do you get off telling us what we can and can't say, if you're sick of the "complaining" then don't read it. This is a forum, people have the right to post their opinions as long as they do it in a civil manner. Some people believe that the whole Star Wars thing has been done to death, and they might be right.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 32
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 31/7/2006 4:34:47 PM   
BobaJango

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobaJango

quote:

Should they approve the articles with you before they print them? 

No. Just stop doing Star Wars related ones!

That would fit your approval system then Boba?

Well i am a reader of the magazine, so maybe it's worth mentioning my opinions on it once in a while.

< Message edited by BobaJango -- 31/7/2006 4:35:09 PM >

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 33
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 31/7/2006 4:36:29 PM   
Ed Wood

quote:

we pay for the mag, were entitled to complain of the constant coverage of one film franchise.

< Message edited by Ed Wood -- 31/7/2006 4:37:14 PM >

PICK FLICK

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 34
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 31/7/2006 5:09:33 PM   
Cruisecontroller

I suppose some Star Wars fans haven`t got video players anymore and may prefer the old version trilogy so there probably is a demand for those versions on DVD with new versions for film collectors too. Empire has to cover all the big DVD releases by reviewing them which is fair enough but that feature is overkill! OK we don`t have to read it if we don`t want too but when it takes up a fair space in the mag even for a fan of the movies like myself it`s a bit much! You have to be a Lucus stalker to want that much coverage!

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Ed Wood)
Post #: 35
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 31/7/2006 5:15:02 PM   
punchdrunk

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

2. Empire magazine is in a cut throat industry. Without articles like these on a regular basis Total Film & such like will seize the upper ground. Like it or lump it a magazine aimed exclusively at movie snobs is going to go out of business.

Sight & Sound has been around for a bit...

Funded by the BFI there directorscut, but i see your point.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 36
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 31/7/2006 5:27:56 PM   
Sutty

Star Wars, Star Wars, Star Wars.

Has Lucas got shares in Empire or something? Yes they redefined cinema and had a great marketing franchise blah blah blah, but movies have been release since then, you know?

The Lord of the Rings trilogy for one. Which to my mind is a much more involving and accomplished piece of movie making.
Star Wars has become over saturated in recent years. What with the tinkering by Lucas ("The Special Edition I did while on the toilet on a monday" whatever), the various video's and boxsets released ("now with thx" "if you haven't seen star wars widescreen you aint seen it!" "the one where the storm trooper doesn't bang his head" ooohh how exciting!) and the new trilogy which will no doubt be rejigged and fucked around with in an effort to make more money for a man who is by his own description a one man studio. And let's face it, Phantom Menace and Attack of the clones could have been covered in a chapter crawl at the start of Sith. But no, let's milk it for all it's worth. You can practically see Lucas rubbing his beard and twirling his ridiculously coiffed hair.

Let's put star wars to bed now shall we, Empire? Most of us own it on dvd (yeah yeah me too) and can watch it whenever we choose. Surely there are more interesting things to write about that some numpty called anakin hutt from alabama who's got a tattoo of boba fett on his gonads and thinks we care.

And just to prove that Lucas is a greedy, money grubbing toe-rag, all (yes all 6 of them) the star wars films are being release at the cinema AGAIN over the next 2/3 years on hi-def or Imax or something.
Lucas should concentrate on doing something new (or even the supposed indy sequel) rather than milking his main cash cow again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again.........

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 37
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 31/7/2006 5:36:59 PM   
sanchia

I thought maybe I should actually read it prior to making any other comments.  A little bit dull and it does come across a bit as filler (at least to me) and 8 pages!  At least there is a nice layout to the pages even if the content is a bit lacking.

How about something different like Ghostbuster memories or Back to the Future memories. Both beloved films by many people but not with the same exposure.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 38
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 31/7/2006 7:18:59 PM   
Cuchulainn

Love Star Wars but will we be seeing all this old shite again in 3D when the 3D edition comes out next year?

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 39
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 31/7/2006 7:38:24 PM   
Sutty

a new version coming out? there's a suprise!

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 40
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 31/7/2006 7:46:16 PM   
malamatijm

Yep, it says in this issue that a 3D re-issue is in the works, which i admit  is something which perhaps deserves an article (and that doesnt mean an 8-page article with a cover picture... and a new booklet!!!). The re-issues however could be covered solely in the review of the DVDs, not the months leading up to it.

And if you have to - and with that i mean absolutely, positively HAVE to - bum Lucas how about something on his future projects. I'm still waiting for him to prove himself a 'Great' director. American Graffitti was fantastic, as was 4 and 5, however they were 26 years ago!! Give us something new, non-star wars and still good, really good - I can't admit to be particularly confident myself but maybe, just maybe (he did at least help on Indy)! Otherwise he's end up simply as a second-rate Francis Ford Coppola.

Perry: He called her a... well, a bad word.

[pause]

Perry: Cunt.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 41
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 1/8/2006 9:34:01 AM   
Cuchulainn

He's still planning to make Red Tails...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to malamatijm)
Post #: 42
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 1/8/2006 12:37:30 PM   
darth silas

to all you moaners complaining about star wars..SHUT UP!!!.this franchise is one of the most popular ever in the history of cinema,so its only appropriate that empire give it its due regularly.if you dont like star wars then just dont read the article! thank you empire for the great star wars coverage over the years and dont let these spoilsports tell you how to run your magazine! do a star wars article whenever you see fit,we fans appreciate it! how about a celebration of the prequel trilogy at some point in the near future? despite what the spoilsports say,the prequels were AWESOME! lets give them their due

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 43
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 1/8/2006 1:04:06 PM   
words

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

to all you moaners complaining about star wars..SHUT UP!!!.this franchise is one of the most popular ever in the history of cinema,so its only appropriate that empire give it its due regularly.if you dont like star wars then just dont read the article! thank you empire for the great star wars coverage over the years and dont let these spoilsports tell you how to run your magazine! do a star wars article whenever you see fit,we fans appreciate it! how about a celebration of the prequel trilogy at some point in the near future? despite what the spoilsports say,the prequels were AWESOME! lets give them their due

I enjoyed the recent Star Wars bit but the words 'CELEBRATE' and 'PREQUAL TRILOGY' don't belong in the same sentence as far as I'm concerned.. 

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 44
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 1/8/2006 1:33:04 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

quote:

Hey where the hell do you get off telling us what we can and can't say, if you're sick of the "complaining" then don't read it.

Of course, that works the other way as well. If you're sick of the Star Wars coverage, don't read it.

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 45
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 1/8/2006 1:40:05 PM   
RuffKut

quote:

ORIGINAL: malamatijm

The re-issues however could be covered solely in the review of the DVDs, not the months leading up to it.

The 're-issues' are released in September, so surely there's nothing wrong with them being discussed in this issue as it is the September issue?

Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies...

(in reply to malamatijm)
Post #: 46
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 1/8/2006 5:16:50 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

Of course, that works the other way as well. If you're sick of the Star Wars coverage, don't read it.

But they're paying for the magazine so it's not quite the same thing.

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 47
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 1/8/2006 5:18:53 PM   
theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

You made my point wonderfully FB

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 48
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 1/8/2006 5:28:41 PM   
sanchia

quote:

quote:

quote:

Very true people tend to dislike paying for a magazine where large chunks of it appear to be filled with overdone filler.  (Tried to read it again, and it really is quite dull).  As I said before lets get some coverage of some other classics rather than the same films on a relatively regular basis.  I tend to think the size of the article also has made people concerned, if it was a couple of pages I would not really have minded skipping it but at 8 pages that is quite a chunk of magazine and I am someone who tends not complain about the contents usually.   I did like the Alan Smithee article though.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 1/8/2006 5:31:48 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 49
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 1/8/2006 5:44:00 PM   
Wilbert

I thought the article was decent. I liked the angle they took but I do agree that enough is enough (at least for a few years). I remember at least once picking up the latest issue and thinking "another Star Wars cover?".

Anyway, I think in general people should try and move on from Star Wars. It's not that good. Sure it revolutionised a lot of things but it was also pretty much the death knell for 1970's cinema. The 1970's is still seen as the golden age of modern cinema and Star Wars put an end to that. After that there was more emphasis placed on spectacle than story and the kind of films that were being made before Star Wars (Godfather, Apocalypse Now, Dog Day Afternoon, Exorcist, The Conversation) were a lot thinner on the ground afterwards.

I'm not blaming Star Wars or Lucas, I'm blaming the way Hollywood reacted to its success.

If you look at any of the Star Wars films as a film and not a cultural phenomenon and try to be objective they are not very good films (apart from Empire which is a genuinely good and satisfying movie and Episode IV is really good too).

The success lies in the fact that so many people connected with it and that is truly impressive.

So, I reckon two of the 6 movies are undeniably good. The rest have problems ranging from minor (Jedi) to major (any of the prequels). Lucas should have left them as the original trilogy and not tarnished the memory.

I'm sure many will disagree but thats what I think.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 50
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 1/8/2006 6:24:39 PM   
punchdrunk

quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually my comment was purley a gut response to the thread starters "F*ck Starwars" opening and was not aimed at the constructive arguments made by other users.sorry kids.

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 51
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 1/8/2006 7:10:25 PM   
Ed Wood

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

George Lucas paying you off like Empire?

PICK FLICK

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 52
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 1/8/2006 7:19:47 PM   
impqueen

My "Fuck Star Wars" was also gut related.

As a film fan I enjoy reading about films, I like the first Star Wars film and love "The Empire Strikes Back" from there on I try to ignore Return of the Jedi and would rather blind myself than watch the horror of Episode I-III ever again.

I am a Star Wars original Fan; I even bought Empire the first time because Darth Maul was on the cover! My point was that I believe Empire have focused too much on one film franchise when many would agree that 2/6 films isn’t good enough to warrant so much attention.  

I don’t care what people ate the first time they watched Jedi on VHS!  I pay for the magazine because I like it and read it cover to cover, but an 8 page article about strangers “Star Wars Memories” was over kill and really pissed me off, when there are far more deserving films and franchises.  

Unfortunately it doesn’t matter what I think because when the ORIGINAL ORIGINAL films are released on DVD there will not doubt be more pointless Star Wars writings and yes I will read the article probably forming at the mouth no less.

And when Lucas releases all the films back into the cinema no doubt again and again there will be more Star Wars bollocks.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 1/8/2006 7:35:05 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 53
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 1/8/2006 8:06:18 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

quote:

Then - shock horror - don't buy it. That was the easiest solution for me.

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

Post #: 54
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 1/8/2006 8:28:33 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't see that as an easy solution. An easy solution would be if Empire cut back on the persistant Star Wars coverage. People buy the magazine, presumably, to keep themselves up to date with the movie world and read the reviews and articles. As paying customers, they have a right to complain if they feel the money they are paying for the magazine is being used for trifling or repetitve articles. Of course they can skip over the articles and ignore it but when it happens again and again and again, its understandable if it causes them frustration. Why not use those eight valuable pages for something fresher and informative? Perhaps some sort of LOTR feature...

Post #: 55
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 2/8/2006 1:59:32 AM   
simassey

I love the films and enjoy reading the articles in Empire but there has been a hell of a lot of coverage of the films in Empire and for those that dont like it I can see how it gets annoying. I would imagine thought that coverage of these films along with Bond, and Lord of the Rings, gives them a sales bump for those issues where there isn't something else to grab the casual reader.

Have to laugh at those complaining about Lucas releasing the originals over and over. There have only been 2 major releases of the original trilogy in the last 10 years (the SEs in 1997 on VHS and the DVDs in 2004). Hardly again and again and again and with the amount of re-releases of DVDs with the occasional extra, SW hardly stands alone in this. If you are counting the repackaged versions in 2002 and 2005, this is no different 2 any other film (usually tied into the release of a sequel) so not sure why we are singling out SW here ? Do you feel a need to rush out and buy a repackaged version ?? There is also no 3D release next year - it is likely to be 3-4 years at least for that. But can you blame them for considering this ? I doubt it will be the only one - Cameron, Jackson and Zemeckis have all expressed an interest.

This new release however is a major disappointment. Great the he has decided to release the originals, but the lack of anamorphic enhancement and restoration makes it pretty pointless.

Post #: 56
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 2/8/2006 9:39:51 AM   
RuffKut

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Unfortunately it doesn't matter what I think because when the ORIGINAL ORIGINAL films are released on DVD there will not doubt be more pointless Star Wars writings and yes I will read the article probably forming at the mouth no less.

The "ORIGINAL ORIGINAL films" are being released on DVD in 4 weeks time, that's why the SW Memories piece was written.

Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies...

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 57
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 2/8/2006 10:27:42 AM   
sanchia

quote:

quote:

quote:

How does that work if you have a subscription? Other than cancelling the subscription.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 58
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 2/8/2006 10:57:45 AM   
Joliet68

Star Wars spawned an influx of space rip off films such as Highlander 2. 

Reason enough to boycott the whole thing if you ask me!

Eddie: My Great-Uncle Percy was in the trenches of the first world war. You know what he used to say?
Richie: What?
Eddie: AAH! BLOODY HELL! GERMANS! THOUSANDS OF 'EM! AAAH!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 59
RE: Sick of Star Wars! - 2/8/2006 11:12:31 AM   
punchdrunk

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia
quote:

quote:

quote:

How does that work if you have a subscription? Other than cancelling the subscription.

Cut it with pages of "Total film" and Sell it to school kids? you'd make a fortune.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> RE: Sick of Star Wars! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI