Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 29/6/2012 7:56:49 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: hitchcock

Got Double Indemnity and Lost Weekend yesterday may have aWilder double as ive never seen a Wilder film but DI looks great.

DI is an amazing place to start for Wilder: I rewatched it this week and forgot just how fantastic the film is. Lost Weekend is my favourite of his too, but I'm saving that for the weekend!

(in reply to hitchcock)
Post #: 1261
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 30/6/2012 8:08:53 AM   
hitchcock

A lost weekend perhaps? im sorry that was uncalled for. Didnt watch either last night i opted for Robocop 2 instead.
the 3 hr Arena doc on LW should be a great watch as well.

''Are you watching closley?'' The Prestige

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 1262
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 30/6/2012 11:43:33 PM   
directorscut

Lost Weekend is generally on par with Double Indemnity but without the distracting flickering.

Half the booklet is taken up with an essay filled with typical film school wankery bollox, featuring their favourite hobby of ascribing homosexual subtext to films.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to hitchcock)
Post #: 1263
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 30/6/2012 11:48:09 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

A lost weekend perhaps?

I made that exact same joke to my wife earlier! It was more to do with the fact that the 3 hour doc would be taking up our Sunday afternoon, but the sentiment was the same!

(in reply to hitchcock)
Post #: 1264
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 1/7/2012 12:00:49 AM   
hitchcock

great KNB effects in double indemnity where Edward G Robinson got his dick cut off.............oh shit wait im mixing a film i really want to watch ( but was too tired tonight) with a crap film, Hostel 2 on channel 5.

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 1265
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 1/7/2012 2:32:41 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

The PQ is a couple of notches below the best Blu-rays of that era - there's distracting flickering in the first and final reels, and a blotchy effect in some shadows that looked like a bad compression artifect.

But it's certainly perferable to a Universal DNR hackjob.

True, true. City Girl for instance is way better (although it being older). It`s not the best for sure but it`s for sure the best that the film looks and probably will ever look

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 1266
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 6/7/2012 11:37:09 AM   
hitchcock

Finally watched double indemnity and what a great film it is, especially the dialogue and EGRs suicide speech in particular.
btw adam you say birth of a nation is on its way at some point ( late this year, next maybe?) but do you think we'll see MoC do intolerance? and/or battleship potemkin?

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 1267
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 6/7/2012 6:43:35 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

btw adam you say birth of a nation is on its way at some point ( late this year, next maybe?)

It`s gonna be out before the christmas of this year
can`t wait to see what they`re going to do with that one

(in reply to hitchcock)
Post #: 1268
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 13/7/2012 12:47:13 PM   
TheGodfather

From their facebook page:

At least we`ll get The Birth Of A Nation. Curious to see the other titles...

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 1269
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 15/7/2012 8:31:08 PM   
hitchcock

watched lost weekend and really enjoyed it another great MoC release.
regarding the announcement over on the binary forums people are calling Die Nibelungen as a release as well as the already mentioned BON.
Citizen Kane maybe still not had a uk release.
btw did/do MoC have the licence for Godzilla?

Post #: 1270
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/7/2012 12:05:01 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

regarding the announcement over on the binary forums people are calling Die Nibelungen as a release as well as the already mentioned BON.

Die Nibelungen was unofficially confirmed a while back. Expecting to see that for sure. Hopefully it will be spine #40, which was the one initially given to it for the DVD release which never happened. This was the artwork for that.

quote:

Citizen Kane maybe still not had a uk release.

Kane would be one hell of a way for them to close out the Universal agreement. I own the US Box-set, but would be eager to see what MoC do with it. I do still think that Ambersons is more likely tho.

quote:

btw did/do MoC have the licence for Godzilla?

The BFI released it on DVD. Presumably they maintain the rights for any future home video release over here, as their DVD is still in print.

(in reply to hitchcock)
Post #: 1271
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/7/2012 7:26:29 AM   
hitchcock

cheers adam.
i meant bluray forums not binary.
I want the us Kane set but a bit pricey currently. Intolerence would be a nice addition to go with birth of a nation.

Post #: 1272
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/7/2012 12:10:46 PM   
elab49

I love Park Row and all - but when did it become Fuller's supreme masterpiece? It's, reportedly, his favourite film and all but the Kane stuff was hyperbole based on subject matter surely? Far too personal for that. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to hitchcock)
Post #: 1273
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/7/2012 2:03:50 PM   
adambatman82

An interesting bunch of releases, although once they'd announced that JOAN was getting an earlier release than scheduled they could have packed up and gone home as far as I was concerned!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1274
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/7/2012 3:04:02 PM   
elab49

Don't you have the Criterion? I do like the music. Ditto Trouble in Paradise, Criterion.

Of the others, Floating Weeds is one of my least favourite Ozu so not a taker for that. Gate of Hell is interesting though - I've never seen anything to upgrade from VHS for it. Page of Madness would have been interesting though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 1275
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/7/2012 3:56:45 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Don't you have the Criterion? I do like the music.

I do yeah, but I'm really eager to see the new restoration.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1276
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/7/2012 4:01:36 PM   
elab49

I think I said 'interesting though' a few times too many there!

quote:

Post #: 1277
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/7/2012 4:22:05 PM   
chris_scott01

So..

Die Nibelungen (BD, DVD)
Park Row (DVD)
Trouble in Paradise (DVD)
The Passion of Joan of Arc (BD, DVD & Dual Format SB)
Floating Weeds (DVD, Dual Format)
Gate of Hell (DVD, Dual Format)

Plus
Soul Power (Dual Format)
RoGoPaG (DVD)
Oedipus Rex (DVD)
Cleopatra (DVD)

I'm most excited about Die Nibelungen as that has been a long time coming.

EDIT: Sorry the original Bfi announcement was 32 of Ozu's films. But still April 2013 for the next release!!

< Message edited by chris_scott01 -- 16/7/2012 4:30:57 PM >

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1278
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/7/2012 4:27:23 PM   
elab49

I thought Gangster FIlms was December - I added it to my Xmas list. 

quote:

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 1279
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/7/2012 4:29:32 PM   
chris_scott01

Hmm Amazon have it April and Moviemail have it for Dec...there is hope then.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1280
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/7/2012 4:31:22 PM   
elab49

Fingers crossed, then.

quote:

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 1281
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/7/2012 5:21:57 PM   
directorscut

Wow, Trouble in Paradise on DVD only? What a crushing disappointment. I would have been all over a Blu-ray release in a Parisian minute.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1282
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/7/2012 5:28:11 PM   
elab49

I think they said the existing film simply won't support a Blu Ray release for Trouble in Paradise. 

quote:

Post #: 1283
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/7/2012 5:48:47 PM   
directorscut

That sounds bogus to me. The Criterion DVD was mastered from a 35mm fine grain preservation print so high quality elements are out there. Seems like penny-pinching to me.

I won't be surprised if Criterion come out with a Blu-ray in the near future, which will of course be region locked.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1284
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/7/2012 6:01:50 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

That sounds bogus to me. The Criterion DVD was mastered from a 35mm fine grain preservation print so high quality elements are out there. Seems like penny-pinching to me.

Traditionally MoC only work with existing transfers, unlike Criterion who produce their own. Saying that, MoC have ventured in to the world of "proper" restoration with JOAN, so I guess thats liable to change.

Post #: 1285
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/7/2012 7:11:55 PM   
hitchcock

Im unaware of some of these films so off i go to further investigate.
Shame theres no Birth of a Nation, whats the release schedule for the new titles, is this it for 2012?

Post #: 1286
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/7/2012 7:21:15 PM   
elab49

These are 4th quarter releases, so Oct through to Xmas I guess. 

quote:

(in reply to hitchcock)
Post #: 1287
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/7/2012 10:20:01 PM   
efc91

I know I'm late to the party but I recently started to collect these I have three so far. Excited about todays new announcements certainly going to order The Passion of Joan of Arc and Die Nibelungen when they become available.

Post #: 1288
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 8/8/2012 10:52:37 PM   
TheGodfather

Ruggles of Red Gap
This film by Leo McCarey (Make Way For Tomorrow) gets its home-video debut thanks to Masters Of Cinema, right onto blu-ray. And for that we can thank them on our bare knees. What a gem this is!

The story about a butler, played by Charles Laughton, who is the bet in a poker gamble and is "lost" by his boss to an American is for the biggest part a comedy but has dramatic parts in it as well. It`s a story about humanity and hope, about class differences (wich Laughton hated in real life) and going after that would you really want. Indeed, a story about The American Dream.
In the middle of that is a brilliant scene in wich Laughton, as Englishman, recites President Lincoln`s historic Gettysburg Address to a bar full of Americans. That is the best scene of the whole film and gave me goosebumps all over.
A film that gave me a big smile on my face and left me behind with a wonderful and joyous feeling.

The Masters Of Cinema blu-ray is one of brilliant quality, with a transfer that is almost right up there with their City Girl release.
A must-own.

9,0/10

(in reply to efc91)
Post #: 1289
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 11/9/2012 9:46:32 PM   
TheGodfather

Exciting news:

Stanley Kubrick's Fear and Desire to Appear in the Masters of Cinema Series

Eureka Entertainment has announced that it is planning to release on Blu-ray director Stanley Kubrick's rarely seen first feature film Fear and Desire. The release is expected to be available online and in shops across the United Kingdom in late January 2013.

This upcoming release, which will feature the new restoration of Fear and Desire, carried out by The Library of Congress in conjunction with Kino Lorber, Inc., will be the first ever official release of the film in the United Kingdom.

Independently financed with contributions from Kubrick's family and friends in an era when an "independent cinema" was still far from the norm, FEAR AND DESIRE first saw release in 1953 at the Guild Theater in New York thanks to the enterprising distributor Joseph Burstyn. Its exhibition led Kubrick to the dazzling career and near-complete artistic freedom which to this day remains unparalleled in the annals of Hollywood history.

The film tells the story of a war waged (in the present? in the future?) between two forces... In the midst of the conflict, a plane carrying four soldiers has crashed behind enemy lines. From here out, it is kill or be killed: a female hostage is taken on account of being a potential informer; an enemy general and his aide are discovered during a scouting mission... What lies in store for this ragtag group of killers, between their perilous landing in the forest, and the final raft-float downstream... this is the tale of Kubrick's extraordinary picture.

Note: In the U.S., Fear and Desire will be released on Blu-ray by Kino Classics on October 23rd.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9485

Official press release:
quote:

Eureka Entertainment announced today for release as part of its world-renowned and award-winning Masters of Cinema Series a glorious presentation of Stanley Kubrick's rarely-seen first feature film, FEAR AND DESIRE, in a new restoration carried out by The Library of Congress in conjunction with Kino Lorber, Inc. This is the first time the film will officially appear on home video in the United Kingdom, and will be released in Blu-ray and DVD editions in late January 2013.

This edition will mark the first wide-release of the only other Stanley Kubrick film which has remained nearly impossible to see in the United Kingdom -- since the 1999 re-release of the notorious A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, following the director's death.

The film tells the story of a war waged (in the present? in the future?) between two forces... In the midst of the conflict, a plane carrying four soldiers has crashed behind enemy lines. From here out, it is kill or be killed: a female hostage is taken on account of being a potential informer; an enemy general and his aide are discovered during a scouting mission... What lies in store for this ragtag group of killers, between their perilous landing in the forest, and the final raft-float downstream... this is the tale of Kubrick's extraordinary picture.

Ron Benson, Managing Director of Eureka Entertainment stated "It is an unbelievable privilege to be able to make this thrilling film available in such an extraordinary restoration as carried out by Kino Lorber and the Library of Congress, and to present it in a form which will 'do right' by Kubrick -- that director whose exacting standards, more than any other, warrant a conscientious and superb presentation."

Post #: 1290
Page:   <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI