Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 12/6/2007 10:24:11 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pherlygwen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri

They do a good job at dvdbeaver but sometimes you've got to laugh,is there really anybody that watches a film that's almost 80 years old that gives a toss about some scratches and flickering ? I'd be surprised if there's anybody who watches this stuff and isn't just happy that Eureka and MoC are putting a bit of effort into bringing these films to dvd,At least they give a bit of credit for the 40 page booklet,dvdtimes described it as barebones.

I couldn't agree more. The most important is that somebody actually release these titles. Let alone in the great condition that some of these labels are capable of. And with a 40 page booklet included, I wouldn't exactly call it a barebones, either. The booklets MoC and Criterion supply are superb. On my bedside table I now have two - belonging to the films Sansho The Bailiff (I'm in the middle of reading Ogai Mori's 1915 "Sansho Dayu") and The Naked Island. Two brilliant films!

dvdbeaver are great for judging the caps with your own eyes but their reviews can be inconsistent. Several times they credit DVDs as being "pristine" or "spotless" and yet I see dirt and scratches in nearly every shot when looking for them.

However, I don't think the review of Diary of a Lost Girl is being negative, just laying down the facts of the situation.

The disc is barebones however and regardless of how good a booklet is it shouldn't be a substitute for disc supplements. For these prices it is certainly not a crime to expect at least a commentary.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 91
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 12/6/2007 11:20:10 PM   
Jasiri

I don't think the review was being negative either,my point was it talks about the scratches and flickering then says that most people will find this visually acceptable.The idea of someone watching an 80 year old film and finding the scratches and flickering unacceptable is ludicrous to me.

As for the other point I'd take a booklet over on disc text every time and I know I'm not alone in thinking that,it's much more convenient and easier to read.Haven't seen Diary of a Lost Girl so don't know about that specifically but not every film really needs or benefits from a commentary,good essays and interviews can be just as informative if not more so than a commentary and "these prices" are £10 which is what it's been selling for online since release.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 92
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 12/6/2007 11:29:38 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

"these prices" are £10 which is what it's been selling for online since release.

I was about to say the same thing. It isn`t that expensive really.

Just ordered 3 more titles: Nightmare Alley, Sunrise and Kwaidan.
Looking forward to them

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 93
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 12/6/2007 11:33:55 PM   
Jasiri

Did you get them from Bensonsworld,Godfather? They're selling all the MoC titles for £10.You can usually get most of them for around that anyway if you look about but that's the cheapest I've seen Kwaidan.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 12/6/2007 11:40:10 PM >

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 94
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 12/6/2007 11:39:58 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

Did you get them from Bensonsworld,Godfather? They're selling all the MoC titles for £10.You can usually get most of them for around that if you look about but that's the cheapest I've seen Kwaidan.

I only got Kwaidan over there. There`s £ 1 added for shipping costs cause I`m in The Netherlands but that`s still the cheapest I`ve seen it so far.
The other 2 I got over @ cdwow for £ 9,49 each

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 95
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 12/6/2007 11:44:35 PM   
Jasiri

Cheapskates,charging you £1 for postage. 

Post #: 96
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 13/6/2007 12:03:33 AM   
directorscut

quote:

As for the other point I'd take a booklet over on disc text every time and I know I'm not alone in thinking that,it's much more convenient and easier to read.Haven't seen Diary of a Lost Girl so don't know about that specifically but not every film really needs or benefits from a commentary,good essays and interviews can be just as informative if not more so than a commentary

A booklet is certainly better than onscreen text from an eyesight point of view. Most of the essays I have read so far are excellent (exception being the Teshigahara music essays which I found disappointingly dull [thankfully there were commentaries on the discs to soften the blow]). However there is information you just can't get in essay form.

I think Bey Logan has proved that any film can benefit from a commentary. All the films MoC have released could especially benefit from a commentary considering the talent who worked on them and their cinematic and social context. There are many actors and people who worked on the films that most of us will know nothing about and it would be great to be guided through the films and told more about them. Personally I am disappointed whenever a "classic" film doesn't get a commentary - from any studio. I think every one deserves a recorded document.

And when you consider the budget constraints MoC state they are under a commentary (which requires next to nothing to produce) would be a much better investment than interviews. I believe MoC's problem is that they think (it seems to me) that if they can't get get a film schloar or someone in the public eye (who will probably cost money to hire) it's not worth doing. As someone who has recorded a commentary and has recieved nice e-mails regarding it this attitude disheartens me. I'm sure that are many fans who would happily give up their time to contribute for nothing.

quote:

and "these prices" are £10 which is what it's been selling for online since release.

£9.99 for a new release is exceptionally good. But MoC discs rarely fall below this even years after a release. £9.99 is $20. I just bought the Dawn of the Dead 4-Disc set for that price. Fully loaded R2 discs (even from other independent studios) can be found online frequently for £5.99-£7.99. MoC aren't near as bad as BFI and Criterion in this regard though.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 97
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 13/6/2007 9:46:12 AM   
TheGodfather

quote:

Cheapskates,charging you £1 for postage. 

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 98
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 13/6/2007 7:15:56 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut
A booklet is certainly better than onscreen text from an eyesight point of view. Most of the essays I have read so far are excellent (exception being the Teshigahara music essays which I found disappointingly dull [thankfully there were commentaries on the discs to soften the blow]). However there is information you just can't get in essay form.

I think Bey Logan has proved that any film can benefit from a commentary. All the films MoC have released could especially benefit from a commentary considering the talent who worked on them and their cinematic and social context. There are many actors and people who worked on the films that most of us will know nothing about and it would be great to be guided through the films and told more about them. Personally I am disappointed whenever a "classic" film doesn't get a commentary - from any studio. I think every one deserves a recorded document.

Like anything else the relative value of extras differs from people to people.I enjoyed the essays about Toru Takemitsu in the Teshigahara releases,it's a good example of what the booklets are useful for,he's possibly the most noteworthy composer in post-war Japanese cinema so it was nice to get some background on him. 

I'm not convinced about the need for everything to be given a commentary although you have a point in that the kind of stuff that probably benefits most is older/world cinema as it can give more detailed historical /cultural context than essays probably can.Even for things which would probably really benefit there's still no point in spending time and money on the recording and on bringing someone in to do a commentary just for the sake of it,unless you get someone with sufficient knowledge to provide context and insight into the film and also be able to communicate that to the viewer it's pointless.The commentary from Kent Jones and Phillip Lopate on Mikio Naruse's Sound of the Mountain being a case in point,the book with the set provides a wealth of background and information and includes writing from Lopate whose knowledge and passion for Naruse's work is obvious but the commentary adds little or nothing to the appreciation of the film.

In an ideal world then maybe we'd get worthwhile commentaries on everything but in reality it's not a feasible option and it's up to them to make the judgements on how to use their resources,the most important thing is that they continue to release films.If they've got commentaries,documentaries etc then great but if some of them don't I personally couldn't care less,I'm just happy for the chance to see the films.
I'd rather look at the positives of their so far excellent efforts at trying to provide quality films in the best way they can rather than nitpick over what I imagine they could of or should of done.The people behind MoC are after all primarily just film fans who ran a website and got into a collaboration with Eureka to set up the label.I don't doubt for a second where Nick & Co's motivations lie but their ambitions have to be balanced with financial realities,it has to be run as a viable business or Eureka will pull the plug.

quote:

£9.99 for a new release is exceptionally good. But MoC discs rarely fall below this even years after a release. £9.99 is $20. I just bought the Dawn of the Dead 4-Disc set for that price. Fully loaded R2 discs (even from other independent studios) can be found online frequently for £5.99-£7.99. MoC aren't near as bad as BFI and Criterion in this regard though.

You can only compare like with like,comparing what most of MoC's releases are which is classic/world cinema from outside of what are the critically 'canonised' classics with Dawn of the Dead,a film with a massive cult following and built in market is senseless.The same with other independent R2 labels perhaps you could enlighten me but I don't know of any labels releasing extra packed discs of comparible product at rock bottom prices,people like Second Run for example are doing a great job releasing East European cinema but they aren't regularly packed out with extras.If you wait you can pick up all of MoC's titles at some point for around the £10 I don't see how anybody can grumble with that.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 13/6/2007 7:20:54 PM >

Post #: 99
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 15/6/2007 3:54:42 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Even for things which would probably really benefit there's still no point in spending time and money on the recording and on bringing someone in to do a commentary just for the sake of it,unless you get someone with sufficient knowledge to provide context and insight into the film and also be able to communicate that to the viewer it's pointless.

This is my problem. Why record in a studio? It costs an awful lot of money to do that and when you're on a budget obviously this will lead to picking and choosing over what to do it on. As you say MoC is a website for fans of these directors. It would be very easy for people to record comments and send them over the net. One of the my favourite commentaries was recorded over a phone. The quality was awful but the information was terrific (ironically this commentary probably cost a lot to record considering the phonebill).

quote:

The commentary from Kent Jones and Phillip Lopate on Mikio Naruse's Sound of the Mountain being a case in point,the book with the set provides a wealth of background and information and includes writing from Lopate whose knowledge and passion for Naruse's work is obvious but the commentary adds little or nothing to the appreciation of the film.

I haven't heard this commentary (boxset too expensive at the moment) but it strikes me as the tye of extra I objected to. Why bring in film critics who probably cost a lot when an enthusiastic fan would do a better job for nothing?

quote:

I'd rather look at the positives of their so far excellent efforts at trying to provide quality films in the best way they can rather than nitpick over what I imagine they could of or should of done.The people behind MoC are after all primarily just film fans who ran a website and got into a collaboration with Eureka to set up the label.I don't doubt for a second where Nick & Co's motivations lie but their ambitions have to be balanced with financial realities,it has to be run as a viable business or Eureka will pull the plug.

Although my posts are probably negative (though I would consider it hopeful at what could be done) I do think MoC and Eureka do an excellent job and really hope they continue to put out quality films for a long time. But I think if you have disappointments about something you should voice them. Nothing but praise can cause people to become complacent, like Warners.

quote:

You can only compare like with like,comparing what most of MoC's releases are which is classic/world cinema from outside of what are the critically 'canonised' classics with Dawn of the Dead,a film with a massive cult following and built in market is senseless.The same with other independent R2 labels perhaps you could enlighten me but I don't know of any labels releasing extra packed discs of comparible product at rock bottom prices,people like Second Run for example are doing a great job releasing East European cinema but they aren't regularly packed out with extras.If you wait you can pick up all of MoC's titles at some point for around the £10 I don't see how anybody can grumble with that.
]

Maybe being on a budget has made me selfish or maybe it has given me a heighten sense of value for money but I find it extremely hard to put down £9.99 for a 2-Disc set never mind a single barebones disc. When it comes down to it if I can buy two films I'm interested in for £12.99 I'd buy them rather than the one for £9.99.

It can be said that MoC covers a niche market and that is why the prices remain high but it is a vicious circle. Far less people give the films a chance because of the relatively high price. I would personally own every single one of them if I could find them for the £5.99-£7.99 price range. At £9.99+ I only buy one every once in a while when I can don't find bargains that appeal to me. 

I have read that a number of their titles haven't been selling well. Usually if something isn't coming off the shelf you lower the price point to entice people. But I don't see that happening with MoC. I'm sure they would still make a tidy profit from a lower price point. And a tidy profit is better than none at all.

Maybe they should threaten each release with OOP status as I picked up The Savage Innocents (which I still haven't watched) pretty damn quickly after learning about that.

PS. I would assume that a title like Dawn of the Dead would be more expensive to license and produce because they know it will sell well (to a certain audience). If there are less companies bidding to release something it should be cheaper and easier to acquire. 

Tartan, Anchor Bay and Hong Kong Legends DVDs can be found in the £5.99-£7.99 (some even less) and a lot of them have commentaries and other material. Yes these would probably have a wider audience than most MoC titles but they are still niche titles.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 100
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 15/6/2007 11:39:23 PM   
Pherlygwen

quote:

Maybe they should threaten each release with OOP status as I picked up The Savage Innocents (which I still haven't watched) pretty damn quickly after learning about that.

Where did you find that out?

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

Post #: 101
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/6/2007 9:34:11 AM   
Jasiri

quote:

quote:

The commentary from Kent Jones and Phillip Lopate on Mikio Naruse's Sound of the Mountain being a case in point,the book with the set provides a wealth of background and information and includes writing from Lopate whose knowledge and passion for Naruse's work is obvious but the commentary adds little or nothing to the appreciation of the film.

I haven't heard this commentary (boxset too expensive at the moment) but it strikes me as the tye of extra I objected to. Why bring in film critics who probably cost a lot when an enthusiastic fan would do a better job for nothing?

The thing is he probably seemed like a good choice at the time,there's no doubting his knowledge or enthusiasm for Naruse's film but the commentary is just pretty dull,my memory of it's pretty vague but I think it's things like too much time spent talking about plot and on comparisons/differences with Ozu.There are two short discussion things for the other two films but they don't really get beyond stating the obvious either.
That's the problem I suppose you can bring someone you think will do a good job but if they don't you're stuck with it,ideally they would kidnap Tony Rayns & Donald Richie and force them to do commentaries on all their Japanese films but I don't see it happening. Tony Rayns is on board in some shape for the Mizoguchi films though so that good.

quote:

Although my posts are probably negative (though I would consider it hopeful at what could be done) I do think MoC and Eureka do an excellent job and really hope they continue to put out quality films for a long time. But I think if you have disappointments about something you should voice them. Nothing but praise can cause people to become complacent, like Warners.

You're absolutely right and if I had a problem with something they released I say so too but I've bought around 15 of their titles and the Naruse & Keaton box sets and been very happy with everything.I've had minor quibbles like the Sound of the Mountain commentary and I would have loved a commentary for Humanity and Paper Balloons but the brilliance of the films themselves far outweighs all that.

quote:

I have read that a number of their titles haven't been selling well. Usually if something isn't coming off the shelf you lower the price point to entice people. But I don't see that happening with MoC. I'm sure they would still make a tidy profit from a lower price point. And a tidy profit is better than none at all.

PS. I would assume that a title like Dawn of the Dead would be more expensive to license and produce because they know it will sell well (to a certain audience). If there are less companies bidding to release something it should be cheaper and easier to acquire.

There was something mentioned about sales the other week and it obviously varies things like F for Fake,Kwaidan,Metropolis were the ones that did the best where Michael,Tartuffe,Abhijan struggled.Somebody asked about more Satyajit Ray titles a little while back and Nick said then that they'd like too but because Abhijan struggled Eureka weren't keen.

I really don't have a clue about the ins and outs of licensing but again I think it's something that's very variable but I'd think you're right that it would cost more for a Dawn of the Dead as opposed to an Asphalt for instance.In regards to MoC there are a couple of examples that perhaps show the variability,going back to Satyajit Ray it was also mention that the various Indian producers that own the rights to his films weren't interested in getting royalty payments they want paid upfront,something like that can obviously makes a big difference.Another is with F for Fake,there was talk of some supplementary material that they looked at but whoever held the rights wanted more than they had paid for the actual film itself .

That's another thing where MoC deserve credit they are very open and willing to communicate and do ask for input in regard to different aspects of forthcoming releases.

Good news for anybody that pre ordered Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Silence de la mer ,it's ready ahead of schedule,really looking forward to seeing this.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 16/6/2007 9:47:00 AM >

Post #: 102
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 17/6/2007 2:05:28 PM   
mafyou

quote:

Good news for anybody that pre ordered Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Silence de la mer ,it's ready ahead of schedule,really looking forward to seeing this.

Is there any news on Die Nibelungen? Is that ahead of schedule?

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 103
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 17/6/2007 2:43:48 PM   
Jasiri

Not that I've heard,Le Silence de la mer was due around the end of the month so it's a week or two early.They work on a bunch of titles at the same time but I've no idea if they have even started to work on Die Nibelungen yet,I suspect not.Last December it was announced as coming this year then the cover art appeared on the site recently which usually means it's coming relatively soon but there was no mention of it in the rough release schedule for the rest of the year that they gave out most recently.Like I said earlier it's looking like it's slipped into next year but you never know.They've become understandably a little more cagey in giving release details too far in advance because when they had some delays last year with the Buster Keaton and Mikio Naruse box sets they were getting people moaning because they said they would be out by a certain date and weren't.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 104
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 17/6/2007 4:09:25 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pherlygwen

quote:

Where did you find that out?

At the beginning of the year they had legal problems with the release. The cover was darkened on their website and it was pulled from most stores (though I found it on cdwow for £8.99). Another company brought out a really terrible pan/scan version. I'm not sure what the situation is now but a few online shops have it in stock.

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 105
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 17/6/2007 4:18:42 PM   
directorscut

quote:

You're absolutely right and if I had a problem with something they released I say so too but I've bought around 15 of their titles and the Naruse & Keaton box sets and been very happy with everything.I've had minor quibbles like the Sound of the Mountain commentary and I would have loved a commentary for Humanity and Paper Balloons but the brilliance of the films themselves far outweighs all that.

I also would have loved a commentary for Humanity and Paper Balloons. I can't help be feel I'm missing something from it be it from a historical or social context. An excellent film but I didn't feel it was quite the masterpiece I read from other people. I preferred Tange Sazen and the Pot Worth a Million Ryo which I thought was masterful. Apparently Criterion are releasing Humanity with commentary, though I won't double dip just for that. Maybe if they release a boxset Yamanaka's films.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 106
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 18/6/2007 2:02:46 PM   
Jackie Boy

I'm expecting to receive my copies of The Naked Island & Twenty-four Eyes pretty soon the latter of which i've never seen, but i was wondering what the latest news was on the Mizoguchi (Vol.1) & Naruse (Vol.2) boxsets?

"If you're not against me,don't cross this line! If yes,do."

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 107
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 18/6/2007 9:29:11 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jackie Boy

I'm expecting to receive my copies of The Naked Island & Twenty-four Eyes pretty soon the latter of which i've never seen, but i was wondering what the latest news was on the Mizoguchi (Vol.1) & Naruse (Vol.2) boxsets?

No word on the Naruse Vol. 2 set yet
Mizoguchi should out in november/december. I hope... No word on what titles are in the set though....

(in reply to Jackie Boy)
Post #: 108
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 20/6/2007 11:54:26 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

quote:

I also would have loved a commentary for Humanity and Paper Balloons. I can't help be feel I'm missing something from it be it from a historical or social context. An excellent film but I didn't feel it was quite the masterpiece I read from other people. I preferred Tange Sazen and the Pot Worth a Million Ryo which I thought was masterful. Apparently Criterion are releasing Humanity with commentary, though I won't double dip just for that. Maybe if they release a boxset Yamanaka's films.

Haven't seen Tange Sazen.... although I recently watched Hideo Gosha's remake which I imagine is vastly different.I know there's a good fan subbed bootleg but I've been holding off hoping for a legitimate release and it looks like it's going to happen,MoC won't be releasing this or his other remaining film because someone else is.That seems to fit with with what you said,looks like a Three Films By Sadao Yamanaka set could be a real possibility.
I'm with those that think Humanity and Paper Balloons is a masterpiece,one of the best films I've seen in a long time,absolutely flawless and truly remarkable especially for such a young director.The historical context in which the film was made is an important point,I think one of the essays in the booklet touches on it but 1937 is a time where I think the right wing nationalists and military are really gaining control,just a year earlier was the February 26th Incident where a group of junior army officers lead a large group of troops in attacking governments buildings and killing several politicians and 1937 itself saw the the second Sino-Japanese War (in which Yamanaka would lose his life) and all the horrors that entailed really grow into a full scale war when Japan pushed further into China from the already annexed Manchuria.
With that backdrop a jidai geki which is so far from a traditional good old days type portrayal of the Edo Period is very noteworthy,but leaving that and all the tragedy that surrounds the film because of him dying so young aside it's still a really interesting,moving and very well made film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

quote:

No word on the Naruse Vol. 2 set yet
Mizoguchi should out in november/december. I hope... No word on what titles are in the set though....

They've hinted that there is some kind of change in the original plan for the Mizoguchi films but the important thing is they are working on them now and everything going to plan all 8 Mizoguchi titles will be released by the end of the year (puts a huge smile on my face typing that I never thought I'd see something like this) as G said,early Nov then early Dec.The titles are Miss Oyu,Ugetsu Monogatari,Gion Festival Music,Sansho Dayu,The Woman of Rumour,Chikamatsu Monogatari ,The Empress Yang Kwei Fei and Street of Shame.

Post #: 109
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 25/6/2007 11:52:03 PM   
TheGodfather

As we probably know, somewhere around christmas there`ll be a Mizoguchi box from Masters Of Cinema.
This was written on the Criterion forum, posted by the MoC dvd producer:

[quote="peerpee"]In consultation with a number of Mizoguchi scholars, we have decided to use the following naming strategy (original Japanese title, followed by the English translation and any other well-known English names):

[01] OYU-SAMA [Miss Oyu] (1951)
[02] UGETSU MONOGATARI [Tales of the Rain and Moon] (1953)
[03] GION BAYASHI [Gion Festival Music, aka A Geisha] (1953)
[04] SANSHO DAYU [Sansho the Bailiff] (1954)
[05] UWASA NO ONNA [The Woman in the Rumour] (1954)
[06] CHIKAMATSU MONOGATARI [A Tale from Chikamatsu, aka The Crucified Lovers] (1954)
[07] YOKIHI [Imperial Concubine Yang, aka Yang Kwei Fei] (1955)
[08] AKASEN CHITAI [Red Light District, aka Street of Shame] (1956)[/quote]

Post #: 110
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 27/6/2007 9:58:12 PM   
TheGodfather

New cover:

looks really, really gorgeous
Criterion eat your heart out!

Description of the film:

quote:

Based on the award-winning novel by Shusaku Endo (1923-1996) – widely regarded to be his masterpiece, and about to be remade by Martin Scorsese – Shinoda’s 1971 colour feature film adaptation explores the difficulties faced by Christian missionary priests in Japan. Set in the early 17th century, Silence concerns the suppression of Christianity in Japan as seen from a fugitive Portuguese priest’s point of view. Critical of both “foreign” expansionism and of Japanese society at the time, Shinoda’s film is one of his most riveting and was nominated for the Palme D’Or at the Cannes Film Festival.

sounds good. This`ll be a purchase again

Post #: 111
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 27/6/2007 10:57:05 PM   
elab49

quote:

I'm expecting to receive my copies of The Naked Island & Twenty-four Eyes pretty soon the latter of which i've never seen, 

I rented the latter cold and found it quite wonderful. Hope you enjoy it,.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Jackie Boy)
Post #: 112
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 27/6/2007 11:10:19 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

sounds good. This`ll be a purchase again

Me too,watched quite a few of Masahiro Shinoda's films in the last year or so and this will be a welcome addition to my collection.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

I'm expecting to receive my copies of The Naked Island & Twenty-four Eyes pretty soon the latter of which i've never seen, 

I rented the latter cold and found it quite wonderful. Hope you enjoy it,.

Totally agree it's a beautiful film.

Post #: 113
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 1/7/2007 8:55:46 PM   
TheGodfather

Le Silence De La Mer @ dvdbeaver

Post #: 114
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 3/7/2007 7:18:59 PM   
TheGodfather

New release announced:

Post #: 115
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 3/7/2007 9:03:16 PM   
TheGodfather

Le Silence De La Mer @ dvdtimes

Post #: 116
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 4/7/2007 12:57:45 AM   
Harry Lime

Watched both the "Masters of Cinema" DVD's of The Prisoner Of Shark Island and Le Silence de la Mer this evening.

The Ford film was pretty good although the cinematography and Mr. Ford's construction of key scenes were far more impressive than alot of the performances. That said, John Carradine really makes an impression as the sadistic prison officer and you can see how far Ford had evolved as a filmmaker since the enjoyably knockabout piece of Americana that is Judge Priest a couple of years earlier. I've got The Informer winging its way towards me as I type (I hope) so I shall be interested to see how this sits between those two.

Although the weakest of his films that I've seen thus far, Le Silence de la Mer was nonetheless excellent and has pretty much sealed Melville's extremely high standing in my estimation. Although, like Shark Island, it is an evidently more primitive work compared to what was to follow for the director, Melville fashions an earnest and even-handed adaption that is thoroughly engrossing despite it's natural constraints; a war film with no violence that plays out mostly in one room and that developes slowly through the devices of narration, monologue and the occassional flashback. The subtle expressiveness of the three leads must be noted too; particularly from Stéphane and Robain whose whole roles virtually rely on gesture alone.

I'd rate The Prisoner Of Shark Island a solid 3.5 and Le Silence de la Mer a strong 4.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

Post #: 117
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 6/7/2007 9:29:18 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Lime

Watched both the "Masters of Cinema" DVD's of The Prisoner Of Shark Island and Le Silence de la Mer this evening.

The Ford film was pretty good although the cinematography and Mr. Ford's construction of key scenes were far more impressive than alot of the performances. That said, John Carradine really makes an impression as the sadistic prison officer and you can see how far Ford had evolved as a filmmaker since the enjoyably knockabout piece of Americana that is Judge Priest a couple of years earlier. I've got The Informer winging its way towards me as I type (I hope) so I shall be interested to see how this sits between those two.

Although the weakest of his films that I've seen thus far, Le Silence de la Mer was nonetheless excellent and has pretty much sealed Melville's extremely high standing in my estimation. Although, like Shark Island, it is an evidently more primitive work compared to what was to follow for the director, Melville fashions an earnest and even-handed adaption that is thoroughly engrossing despite it's natural constraints; a war film with no violence that plays out mostly in one room and that developes slowly through the devices of narration, monologue and the occassional flashback. The subtle expressiveness of the three leads must be noted too; particularly from Stéphane and Robain whose whole roles virtually rely on gesture alone.

I'd rate The Prisoner Of Shark Island a solid 3.5 and Le Silence de la Mer a strong 4.

Sounds good

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 118
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 13/7/2007 9:27:31 AM   
chris_scott01

#51 announced

rapidite! rapidite!

Post #: 119
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 13/7/2007 10:05:19 AM   
Pherlygwen

Nice. A film about a fellow countryman. Though I'm not a fan of Munch's work, I might have to check this out as I've heard the film is supposed to be good. But it was originally made for TV, wasn't it?

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI