Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 4/2/2007 1:42:44 PM   
Zatoichi

Looking forward to the Mizoguchi box-sets. I've heard Sansho the Baliff is an incredible film, and I've wanted to see Ugetsu for a long long time.

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 61
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 15/3/2007 8:35:21 PM   
Jasiri

I love MoC,another wish fulfilled.

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 62
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 16/3/2007 7:13:41 PM   
TheGodfather

And how about this one?

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 63
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 17/3/2007 8:33:11 AM   
Jasiri

I'm not too sure about Diary of a Lost Girl,something I'll  rent rather than buy.The Silence of the Sea on the other hand I don't need to think twice about,of Melville's film that are still unavailable it's the one I want to see the most.
When the sneaky announcement was made that films from Melville,Dreyer and Visconti were to be added,I thought there was a good chance it could be this but didn't know who holds the rights to it,any more of his films that Studio Canal have we can probably forget about coming from MoC or BFI since the take over of Optimum.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 17/3/2007 8:38:21 AM >

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 64
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 30/3/2007 10:51:08 PM   
TheGodfather

Excellent news:
Naruse Vol. 2 announced!!

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 65
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 31/3/2007 9:08:24 AM   
Jasiri

AGGGGHH!

Got my hopes up for nothing there Godfather ,check the date.That's the announcement for the release of Vol.1 where it mentions they hope to release another set,like Nick said at the time,they would have to see how the sales of Vol.1 went to see if the plans for a second set were financially viable.

Post #: 66
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 31/3/2007 7:28:19 PM   
TheGodfather

d`oh 

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 67
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 20/4/2007 7:04:04 PM   
TheGodfather

Artwork for Die Nibelungen:

Post #: 68
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 20/4/2007 7:50:22 PM   
Pherlygwen

Lovely! I like Kino On Video's artwork too, but this is nicer. When is it being released?

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

Post #: 69
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 20/4/2007 9:02:50 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pherlygwen

Lovely! I like Kino On Video's artwork too, but this is nicer. When is it being released?

I don`t think that a release date is available already, but hope it`ll be released soon

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 70
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 20/4/2007 9:59:01 PM   
Pherlygwen

Yeah, me too. I can't wait to see this film(s) again! In a hopefully (and probably) better transfer. It will be my next MoC purchase for sure, unless it takes a while before it comes out.

Post #: 71
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 21/4/2007 9:35:17 AM   
Jasiri

There are quite a lot of releases announced for this year that I'm really looking forward to and Die Nibelungen is near the top of that list.I can't see it coming before August at the earliest though,hope I'm wrong but they seem really busy.The two Maysles Brothers docs are due for the end of this month,they've squeezed that Idi Amin documentary in for May and Diary of a Lost Girl is scheduled for then too.Le Silence de la mer is lined up for June and Nick mentioned something the other day about Masahiro Shinoda's Silence coming July/August and that it looked like Murnau's Tabu would be coming before Die Nibelungen.I'm sure it will be an improvement on the Kino disc because it's coming from a new restoration by the Murnau Foundation.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 21/4/2007 9:36:03 AM >

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 72
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 21/4/2007 11:44:32 AM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri

There are quite a lot of releases announced for this year that I'm really looking forward to and Die Nibelungen is near the top of that list.I can't see it coming before August at the earliest though,hope I'm wrong but they seem really busy.The two Maysles Brothers docs are due for the end of this month,they've squeezed that Idi Amin documentary in for May and Diary of a Lost Girl is scheduled for then too.Le Silence de la mer is lined up for June and Nick mentioned something the other day about Masahiro Shinoda's Silence coming July/August and that it looked like Murnau's Tabu would be coming before Die Nibelungen.I'm sure it will be an improvement on the Kino disc because it's coming from a new restoration by the Murnau Foundation.

Sound like May and June will be some really, really expensive months
Will be getting: Diary of a Lost Girl, Le Silence de la mer and a lot of new Criterion`s as well. Also, later on I`ll be getting Shinoda's Silence and Tabu
I think I need to go and find my self another job

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 73
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 4/5/2007 7:56:58 PM   
Pherlygwen

I don't know if this is a stupid question, but... I have for a long time wondered why there are holes in the release order? I mean, why is there no #23? Or #25? While a lot of higher spine numbers are released and #46 has already been announced?

Does anyone know? It just puzzles me...

Post #: 74
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 4/5/2007 8:07:46 PM   
Jasiri

I don't really see the point but it's to try and group films by certain directors with successive spine numbers,23 & 25 are going to be the next two Murnau releases Nosferatu & Tabu,so they go either side of Faust.

Just remembered something else concerning Murnau,in a post the other day discussing using original titles for films Nick casually dropped in news of a forthcoming MoC release of Der Letzte Mann.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 4/5/2007 8:17:43 PM >

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 75
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 5/5/2007 11:18:28 AM   
Pherlygwen

Thanks Jasiri, I should have thought of that, it makes a lot of sense (let alone order ).

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 76
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 11/5/2007 7:26:27 PM   
TheGodfather

Salesman @ dvdbeaver

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 77
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 12/5/2007 6:36:55 PM   
Jasiri

Got the Buster Keaton Complete Short Films today and it's another stellar release.32 films spread over 4 discs,packaged the same as the Mikio Naruse Vol.1 set,3 cases (discs 3&4 share a case) and a gorgeous 184 page book in a nice thick slipcase.The book has an interview with Buster and excerpts from his autobiography but most of it is made up of a three way discussion of Keaton and the films in the set and looks like an excellent addition.If your a fan of the little maniac's films you can't go wrong with this outstanding set.

more pics and details here.

Post #: 78
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 13/5/2007 8:15:53 PM   
Jackie Boy

It is indeed a fine looking set. I'd be tempted to purchase it myself if i didn't already own The Buster Keaton Chronicles. It features 28 of his movies & a documentary spread over a 6 disc set. The differences between the two sets are negligible but i'd advise those who are new to this particular kind of comedy to check out Chronicles first, as it features many of his full length masterpieces including The General.

< Message edited by Jackie Boy -- 13/5/2007 8:32:02 PM >

"If you're not against me,don't cross this line! If yes,do."

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 79
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 13/5/2007 9:12:41 PM   
Pherlygwen

I am greedy and have BOTH these sets on the way! It means I will have to sell off some of the films that I owe already, but I came across the 6-disc Chronicles set not long ago for only 13.99 and couldn't resist since I didn't have all the films and wasn't able to find them as single releases anyway. To say I look very forward to both these sets is putting it mildly!

(in reply to Jackie Boy)
Post #: 80
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 13/5/2007 9:54:58 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

Got the Buster Keaton Complete Short Films today and it's another stellar release.32 films spread over 4 discs,packaged the same as the Mikio Naruse Vol.1 set,3 cases (discs 3&4 share a case) and a gorgeous 184 page book in a nice thick slipcase.The book has an interview with Buster and excerpts from his autobiography but most of it is made up of a three way discussion of Keaton and the films in the set and looks like an excellent addition.If your a fan of the little maniac's films you can't go wrong with this outstanding set.

more pics and details here.

That set looks georgous.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 81
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 14/5/2007 10:20:55 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jackie Boy

but i'd advise those who are new to this particular kind of comedy to check out Chronicles first, as it features many of his full length masterpieces including The General.

Purely in terms of what's on the set the Chronicles one has the advantage of having almost all his silent features,in regard to the shorts the MoC set has the 13 or so Roscoe Arbuckle films that Keaton's in but out of his own films Chronicles only seems to be missing the first two The High Sign and Hard Luck,the ending of the latter being considered lost until a few years ago.The Chronicles set being so cheap it offers reasonable value for money and is a decent way of checking out Buster Keaton's films if you're not familiar with them but that has to be balanced with them presumably being unrestored and from public domain prints.
The MoC set should be invaluable to fans of Keaton though,even putting extras aside it's sourced from Lobster Films new restorations of the best materials available collected from around the world so you can be confident that barring some Passion of Joan of Arc like miraculous discovery of unfound material this is as good as they are ever likely to look.

Just been reading Nick's latest post about the Mizoguchi releases,sounds good but a little cryptic.Basically they're working on it now but won't give a detailed annoucement till nearer release date which should be Oct-Dec,but does give a little teaser saying that Tony Rayns will be involved and there will be commentary tracks then gets all cryptic saying that the 52-55 Mizoguchi Vol.1 thread name will have to be changed,don't know what to make of that part,unless it's simply just that they are changing the number of films in the set.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 15/5/2007 7:23:04 AM >

(in reply to Jackie Boy)
Post #: 82
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 20/5/2007 10:59:31 PM   
Jasiri

Some more news in regards to a rough release schedule and looks like a bit of a wait for some things,seems that Die Nibelungen won't appear this year afterall as there's no mention but Nov-Dec should be awesome.

Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Silence de la mer is still set for June but then there won't be anything else released until September which should be Silence (Masahiro Shinoda) and Bellissima (Luchino Visconti).October Frau im Mond (Fritz Lang) and two previously unannouced titles,I would guess one will probably be the unnamed C.T. Dreyer title possibly the very strange Vampyr.Then saving the best till last,8 Kenji Mizoguchi titles Miss Oyu,Ugetsu Monogatari,Gion Festival Music,Sansho Dayu,The Woman of Rumour,Chikamatsu Monogatari,The Empress Yang Kwei Fei and Street of Shame coming Nov and Dec.
Still no idea what Nick's hint about the Mizoguchi name change means but at least they are all still coming one way or another,shame that some things that were originally lined up for this year like Die Nibelungen seem likely to have slipped into next year but it's inevitable that it happens sometimes when they give out information so far ahead.There could also be some of the Murnau titles released before the end of the year with Der Letzte Mann and Phantom added to the previously announced Nosferatu and Tabu,looks like they are pushing to get all Murnau's surviving films into the series.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 20/5/2007 11:02:00 PM >

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 83
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 31/5/2007 12:36:44 AM   
TheGodfather

Vengeance Is Mine MOC - 5.47

http://www.thehut.com/hut/100742.product

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 84
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 4/6/2007 8:36:09 PM   
TheGodfather

Cover for Luchino Visconti's Bellissima:

Looking good.  Might be getting it

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 85
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 6/6/2007 11:11:38 AM   
TheGodfather

Diary Of A Lost Girl @ dvdbeaver

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 86
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 6/6/2007 11:42:46 AM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

Artwork for Die Nibelungen:

I can't get enough of that artwork. I will buy it just for that. Hopefully the film's alright too!

Edit: It doesn't have a release date does it? Also will it be the same as the region 1 release, all 290 odd minutes?

< Message edited by mafyou -- 6/6/2007 1:44:08 PM >

Et In Arcadia Ego

Post #: 87
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 6/6/2007 8:52:28 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

I can't get enough of that artwork. I will buy it just for that. Hopefully the film's alright too!

Edit: It doesn't have a release date does it? Also will it be the same as the region 1 release, all 290 odd minutes?

No there's no release date yet,the sooner the better though as I'm really looking forward to this,but as I mentioned somewhere above it's looking like it could be into next year before it's released.Nick never mentioned it in his recent rough release schedule although if that is the case it does strike me as strange that they put the artwork up so early,in the past they've only done that with things which are reasonably close to being finished.
Yes,like the R1 it will include both parts but with the added advantage of a new restoration and the MoC treatment,if you've picked up any of their other releases you'll have an idea of what to expect in terms of quality.

quote:

A film of this age, and condition, has obvious issues for a digital transfer. There are plenty of scratches, both light hairline and heavier, some flickering contrast, other more prominent marks, but the bottom line is that most will find this visually acceptable considering... and very watchable.

They do a good job at dvdbeaver but sometimes you've got to laugh,is there really anybody that watches a film that's almost 80 years old that gives a toss about some scratches and flickering ? I'd be surprised if there's anybody who watches this stuff and isn't just happy that Eureka and MoC are putting a bit of effort into bringing these films to dvd,At least they give a bit of credit for the 40 page booklet,dvdtimes described it as barebones.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 6/6/2007 8:53:25 PM >

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 88
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 6/6/2007 10:01:38 PM   
Pherlygwen

quote:

They do a good job at dvdbeaver but sometimes you've got to laugh,is there really anybody that watches a film that's almost 80 years old that gives a toss about some scratches and flickering ? I'd be surprised if there's anybody who watches this stuff and isn't just happy that Eureka and MoC are putting a bit of effort into bringing these films to dvd,At least they give a bit of credit for the 40 page booklet,dvdtimes described it as barebones.

I couldn't agree more. The most important is that somebody actually release these titles. Let alone in the great condition that some of these labels are capable of. And with a 40 page booklet included, I wouldn't exactly call it a barebones, either. The booklets MoC and Criterion supply are superb. On my bedside table I now have two - belonging to the films Sansho The Bailiff (I'm in the middle of reading Ogai Mori’s 1915 "Sansho Dayu") and The Naked Island. Two brilliant films!

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 89
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 12/6/2007 9:53:08 PM   
Jasiri

A few more forthcoming releases,Peter Watkins again with Edvard Munch and some more animation with another couple of titles from Rene Laloux Les Maitre du Temps and Gandahar.

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI