Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 28/9/2006 1:55:37 AM   
adambatman82

id like to see the collection add some classic 70s us cinema, like they did with punishment park. the films of monte hellman could be an interesting addition.

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 31
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 29/9/2006 2:35:51 PM   
Jasiri

I would hope they don't,there's a vast amount of far more interesting rarely/never scene cinema that's crying out for the MoC treatment.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 32
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 1/10/2006 4:14:20 PM   
adambatman82

theres a vast amount of rarely/never seen cinema thats crying out for the MoC treatment that stems from the us tho. i like the treatment they gave punishment park and i think it would be great to see a couple (not many, just a few) of other obscure titles. i dont think they should be discounted just because of country of origin. for example, a film like anthony harvey's they might be giants will never see a decent edition dvd from a major distributor and would fit alongside the rest of the MoC collection nicely. enough of this anti american nonsense.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 33
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 1/10/2006 4:38:28 PM   
Jasiri

Because I would rather MoC continued to mainly concentrate on seriously neglected areas of cinema,that's anti American nonsense?

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 1/10/2006 4:41:45 PM >

Post #: 34
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 1/10/2006 5:10:51 PM   
adambatman82

nope but nor should MoC dismiss a title just because its american. that seems to be what you were suggesting. plus id hardly call asian cinema 'seriously neglected', nor would i use that term to describe most european cinema. there are neglected areas of cinema from all over the world, including america.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 35
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 1/10/2006 7:41:49 PM   
Jasiri

There are a few American films in the series already and there are a more coming,country doesn't come into it but quality and/or importance certainly does and I don't think Monte Hellman comes under either.What I'm suggesting is I'd rather see directors like Ichikawa,Shimizu,Ozu,Gance,Sukarov and Shimazu added before someone like Hellman.They are certainly  more interesting and more in the spirit of both the MoC site and the subsequent dvd label,if you see that as being anti American that's up to you.

I don't know what your opinion that silent and certain other periods of  European and all classic Japanese cinema are not seriously neglected on subtitled dvds is based on but you're very wide of the mark.Thankfully the announced forthcoming titles which should take up most of 2007 continue to concentrate largely on these under represented areas and long may it continue.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 2/10/2006 12:15:15 AM >

Post #: 36
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 2/11/2006 8:00:43 PM   
Jasiri

Final artwork for the Mikio Naruse set and looking at the small pictures of the artwork for the discs,glad they didn't go with the gaudy poster idea,this looks much better.
Best thing about it though is the change of title to Naruse Vol.1

larger image where you can read the details here

Also the catalogue page for Shoah is now up on the site,the essay isn't there yet but the trailer is.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 2/11/2006 8:08:15 PM >

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 37
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 3/11/2006 9:16:41 AM   
TheGodfather

That looks damn fine 

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 38
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 3/11/2006 9:27:45 AM   
elab49

I'd recommend Kuroneko and Onibaba as an interesting double bill - seems the mother/Daughter-in-law thing is an ongoing bugbear for these filmmakers. Naked Island is next on my list - thank heavens for DVD rental. I've been working through most of them.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 39
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 20/12/2006 6:52:05 PM   
Jasiri

Mikio Naruse set finally arrived today and I'm over the moon,my long wait to see Naruse's work is over,well almost.Had a quick look at a couple of the disc and the image quality looks as good as you could possibly expect,little bit of flickering and scratches now and again but that comes with the territory,the book looks interesting with Audie Bock among the contributors.For me this pushes Criterion's Seven Samurai reissue off top spot for release of the year,another outstanding release from MoC,fingers crossed that it sells well enough for them to go ahead with the planned Vol.2 next year.

dvdbeaver review

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 40
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 20/12/2006 7:00:35 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri

Mikio Naruse set finally arrived today and I'm over the moon,my long wait to see Naruse's work is over,well almost.Had a quick look at a couple of the disc and the image quality looks as good as you could possibly expect,little bit of flickering and scratches now and again but that comes with the territory,the book looks interesting with Audie Bock among the contributors.For me this pushes Criterion's Seven Samurai reissue off top spot for release of the year,another outstanding release from MoC,fingers crossed that it sells well enough for them to go ahead with the planned Vol.2 next year.

dvdbeaver review

Oh that`s great to hear! really looking forward to receiving it. I`m guessing it`ll arrive tomorrow or friday.
Can`t wait

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 41
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 6/1/2007 1:42:37 PM   
Jasiri

A little teaser from MoC,a few grabs from the forthcoming release of Sansho the Bailiff which will form part of the 4 film Mizoguchi Vol 1 boxset.

The print looks good,haven't watched the Films Sans Frontieres release for a while but from what I remember it looks at least as good as that,there should be an improvement though as the source is presumably the newly restored prints Daiei used for their box sets that came out late 2006.No word on what else will be in Vol 1 but if it's in chronological order it means Ugetsu Monogatari will be in the same set along with Miss Oyu and Gion Festival Music.
Hopefully this means that Mizoguchi Vol 1 will be next up after Shoah,can't wait.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 9/1/2007 8:51:48 PM >

Post #: 42
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 6/1/2007 4:42:32 PM   
TheGodfather

Sounds good 
already own the Criterion release of Ugetsu Monogatari. Brilliant film, brilliant release. MoC has hard job on beating that. But looking forward to the other films

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 43
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 9/1/2007 7:47:45 PM   
Jasiri

Agreed, Ugetsu Monogatari is outstanding and the others that I've seen from the 8 mentioned for release are all very good also.I slightly prefer Sansho the Bailiff to UM and Street of Shame and Chikamatsu Monogatari (supposedly Akira Kurosawa's favourite Mizoguchi) are of the same kind of high standard as the first two with  The Empress Yang Kwei Fei just a notch below.

My memory of the FSF release of Sansho in comparison to the MoC grabs was way off,it doesn't come close.I took a couple of grabs from the same scenes to show the difference.

MoC-top  FSF-bottom

Very apparent how much improvment there is in the MoC shots compared to the FSF disc which is the only English subtitled dvd release of Sansho the Bailiff at present.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 9/1/2007 8:49:38 PM >

Post #: 44
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 9/1/2007 8:24:05 PM   
TheGodfather

Only 2 of the MoC caps are viewable 

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 45
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 9/1/2007 8:42:08 PM   
Jasiri

Do you mean there's only two in the second post of pictures ? If so that's right ,they are the FSF grabs I took,compare them with the same pics in the one above it.

Scratch that I'll edit the post and put them together in a dvdbeaver styleee.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 9/1/2007 8:44:00 PM >

Post #: 46
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 9/1/2007 8:48:07 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

Do you mean there's only two in the second post of pictures ? If so that's right ,they are the FSF grabs I took,compare them with the same pics in the one above it.

Scratch that I'll edit the post and put them together in a dvdbeaver styleee.

Ah ok, my bad
I thought you already put them together

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 47
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 24/1/2007 8:57:18 PM   
Jasiri

Couple of little bits of news,on the MoC site (not the dvd label site the other one) there's a piece about the label's recent and forthcoming releases and there are a few directors mentioned for 2007 that haven't been previously announced Carl Dreyer, Luchino Visconti and Jean-Pierre Melville.Really happy to see Melville mentioned,fingers firmly crossed for Silence of the Sea or failing that Second Breath.
Second piece of news is from Nick Wrigley via criterionforum and concerns the Kenji Mizoguchi sets,Tony Rayns is pencilled in to do a commentary for Sansho the Bailiff and he says they are planning some serious extras for the box sets. Good news about Tony Rayns and can't wait to see what else they come up with.

Post #: 48
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 28/1/2007 10:20:20 AM   
Nexus

I watched Shoeshine last night, it's fantastic. I'd really like Moc (or Criterion) to release De Sica's Two Women because apparently there isn't a decent copy of that anywhere.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 49
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 28/1/2007 10:14:25 PM   
Jackie Boy

quote:

Final artwork for the Mikio Naruse set and looking at the small pictures of the artwork for the discs,glad they didn't go with the gaudy poster idea,this looks much better.
Best thing about it though is the change of title to Naruse Vol.1

larger image where you can read the details here

Looks very interesting indeed, i've read much about but seen precious little from him. I'd have to check out the trailers before i parted with any cash however, it is a little pricey. Any ideas what may appear in volume two?

"If you're not against me,don't cross this line! If yes,do."

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 50
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 30/1/2007 11:33:34 AM   
Jasiri

No idea about what could be in Vol.2 and since they were saying it would probably depend on sales as to whether a Vol.2 would be financially viable or not,I'm not sure even they would have given it a great deal of thought yet.I know BFI have picked up Late Chrysanthemums,Floating Clouds & When a Woman Ascends the Stairs so they won't be in it if it's released but that doesn't narrow it down much.

(in reply to Jackie Boy)
Post #: 51
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 1/2/2007 5:17:44 PM   
Jackie Boy

With such a large body of work i agree it would be very difficult to pinpoint just what might be included in volume two. With volume one Masters Of Cinema have celebrated Naruse's best work from the fifties. Hopefully Yearning/Midareru (1964) will be earmarked for release in a best of his sixties work for vol two, as i've wanted to see this for some time now. Fingers crossed it will get the go-ahead.

"If you're not against me,don't cross this line! If yes,do."

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 52
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 1/2/2007 7:26:05 PM   
Jasiri

I hope they go the other way and we see some films from the 30's.I find it so disappointing that so little of what survives from that first golden age of Japanese cinema has come to dvd with subs,MoC's release of Humanity & Paper Balloons and a few of Ozu's films is all I'm aware of.I do think that there is far more chance of it being films from the 50's/60's though and I'll be more than happy with whatever is released. 

(in reply to Jackie Boy)
Post #: 53
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 1/2/2007 8:26:51 PM   
elab49

It would be nice to see them expand to even Hollywood to be honest - directors like Mitchell Leisen - who finally got a season at the EFF this year - have virtually no DVD releases.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 54
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 2/2/2007 9:16:24 AM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

It would be nice to see them expand to even Hollywood to be honest

They all ready have ,F.W.Murnau's Sunrise was made at Fox and I would presume that Prisoner of Shark Island and Nightmare Alley were made for Hollywood studios.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 55
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 2/2/2007 11:29:39 AM   
elab49

Welcome though they are, Ford is hardly ignored by other releases (although his writer has got to have one of the most varied careers in cinema - it was a shock when I found out the man who wrote the Mudlark also wrote the Dirty Dozen!) and I thought Nightmare Alley was one of the Studio Classic lot (I'm sure my copy has got that cover they use with the original poster).

Not people who are rarely remembered that worked in more classic Hollywood style like the better class of romantic comedy - it has only been recently that Lubitsch has finally got a release for Shop Around the Corner, the opposite of the saccharine stuff people like Capra could come out with and surprisingly hard edged for its day. But it took Criterion to release Lubitsch. I am particularly surprised Leisen's work with Sturges hasn't been given a release. 

quote:

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 56
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 2/2/2007 2:35:57 PM   
Jasiri

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ernst Lubitsch added at some point but whether it would be from his Hollywood period or earlier I don't know.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 57
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 2/2/2007 3:39:22 PM   
elab49

It would be wonderful it they did. I feel quite lucky with these to be honest - I think I am about the only one that rents them from Blockbuster so I get them almost immediately on release!

quote:

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 58
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 4/2/2007 9:17:21 AM   
Jasiri

Looks like your wish has been granted,Nick Wrigley has confirmed a 6 disc set of early Ernst Lubitsch.When I saw that Kino had released these titles I thought it was the kind of thing that MoC might pick up for release here.They have already announced a lot of titles for this year though,so it might be quite a wait.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 59
RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles - 4/2/2007 1:32:36 PM   
elab49

Good grief - that was quick! I shall keep an eye out for this, thank you.

quote:

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Masters of Cinema Titles Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI