Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Spanglish - 29/7/2006 6:40:23 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Good - 29/7/2006 6:40:23 PM   
Caster

Great performances but doesn't really add up to anything satisfying. Vega is amazing.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Good - 2/8/2006 8:01:43 PM   
Daniel Kelly

I enjoyed it and felt it retained Brooks reputation for making quality films. Adam Sandler was a real surprise I didn't think he could churn out a performance as convincing as the one in this movie

www.danlandmovvies.blogspot.com

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 3
Spanglish - 25/8/2006 11:01:33 AM   
jncorbett

Saw it a couple of days ago on a rental, and thought it was amazing. Such a refreshing change to the genre of romances, and nice to see Adam Sandler in a completely different role too. Tea Leoni was excellent, playing one of the most unpleasant people I've seen on screen in a long time, but the whole story felt so very real, much more so than your typical romance, comedy or romantic comedy, because the emphasis was (as Empire has already pointed out) on the drama of the situations.

An excellent film, and one I will certainly be re-watching.

Post #: 4
- 26/2/2008 7:45:53 PM   
ukedge87

This film falls slap in the middle of Adam Sandler’s transitional period, somewhere between his ‘dumb’ comedy films (think Billy Madison to Big Daddy) and his ‘acting’ gigs (Punch Drunk Love, Reign Over Me), and despite this film never really getting started, it probably wasn’t a bad idea. It proved he could handle emotionally complex characters and non-character driven pieces (plus his trademark screech of anger is, for the first time, missing); without this he could not have gone for the scripts that have added his name to the list of silly comedians who have proved they can act.

Sadly, despite that sugar coating in hindsight, this film is still a bitter pill to swallow. It’s not the bloated running time, the snail pace script or the unfunny jokes that make it a frustrating watch; it’s the fact that as a viewer you can tell there is a good film buried underneath the mess that makes it so frustrating. The tale of losing one’s culture and the constant compromises immigrants make in a foreign land is lost somewhere in this drab portrayal of affluent America.

The redeeming aspects are slim, Cloris Leachman‘s quick witted and best-line-hogging mother in law is spot-on, as are the lead cast’s attempt to wiggle a good film out of the script. However, the over-all effect of this film is frustration, frustration that there is a good film many layers below. But as I said in my opening paragraph, perhaps this was a necessary evil to show Hollywood that Sandler can do more than yell, punch people and act drunk really well.

4/10

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Spanglish Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI