Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

NeverEnding Story , The

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> NeverEnding Story , The Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NeverEnding Story , The - 28/7/2006 3:14:24 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Empire needs to retrieve its childhood - 28/8/2006 11:14:44 PM   
claudemg

This film brings back so many memories for me its easy to speak of bias. Objectively though, this fantasy film from the eighties is as good as they come - well untill LOTR came. The music score alone elevates this to a 3 star. 2 stars???? Empire did u have a toothache when u reviewed this? you gave Princess Bride a 5 star review and i kinda saw where u were coming from - kinda. but this film deserves the 5 stars surely!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Brilliant...pure surreal fantasy - 25/2/2008 1:18:00 PM   
blaud

I agree with claudemg. Where's your childhood, Empire? Wake up! This film is a gem of filmmaking, and should be treated as one

Post #: 3
Childhood Classic - 1/10/2008 9:41:24 PM   
olixander

This film does something that hardly any film has done either before or after, and that is the death of the lovable character (i.e. Mufasa, or Bambi's mother). Not to give anything away but this scene is a huge tear jerker for little kids and this is what is needed nowadays! Cotton wrapped modern kids fantasies never have anything that question morals, kids really are more clever than they are given credit for.
The music score is iconic, it was even parodied in Family Guy, meaning it must have been half decent to be present in modern day pop-culture. The acting by the kid as the main character is really good, and believable, showing weakness and temptation.
If Empire is arguing that this has outdated since its 1984 release, surely you could say the exact same thing about Citizen Kane? I know comparing these two films is a bit nonsensical BUT giving a lower score simple becuase it's not as good as today's films is unfair. A film doesnt get worse over time, just the new films get better as they know what they have to beat! Make up higher ratings for newer films then, rather than slagging off the older ones.
This review may be a bit biased, due to my huge childhood obession with this film...

Post #: 4
nes - 6/11/2009 2:46:10 PM   
FanaticalAboutFilm

Absolutely has something classical! Music and creatures of Fantasia are both really cool!!
Though it's already more than 20 years old it's still enjoyable.

< Message edited by FanaticalAboutFilm -- 6/11/2009 2:50:38 PM >

Post #: 5
Not as I remembered! - 7/2/2011 10:18:38 AM   
fraser1978

Watched this movie yesterday on Blu-Ray. I have to say I agree with Empire. Not as great as I remembered. If I'm honest, a bit dull. Some things are best left in the mind and kept as fond childhood memories!

Post #: 6
Likeable but dated eighties kids film - 19/9/2011 6:11:19 PM   
trainedasninja

Although tarnished by age, the Never-Ending story is an excellant trip into childhood fantasy nostalga. As Empire has said, these type of films are much smarter these days which doesnt help. However you cant help but admire the old school eighties production and effects. This isnt so much a film that can compete with todays releases but must be enjoyed as a product of its time.

Post #: 7
It is dated, yes, but it is still a classic! - 31/1/2013 7:41:51 PM   
SebMModerns

Considering how we have CGI instead of puppets as special effects now, the film may look quite dated now. Imagination is a very happy thing, and this film teaches us that we need to keep dreaming. If you are into nostalgic fantasy (THIS, H.R.Pufnstuf, etc), you will probably enjoy this! (4/5)

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> NeverEnding Story , The Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI