Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Sylvester Stallone

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Sylvester Stallone Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sylvester Stallone - 27/7/2006 7:12:16 PM   
Sutty

One Actor who does not get enough credit or kudos, in my opinion, is Sylvester Stallone.
In the past he has been ridiculed, partly due to his "macho" image in the 80's, mainly because of some filmic faux pars in the 90's (Stop or my mom'll shoot?!)

However, let's look at this in slightly more detail. His "breaking" movie, Rocky, earned him Oscar nominations for both Best Actor and Best Original Screenplay. Making him only the third Actor behind Orson Welles and Charlie Chaplin to achieve this. This movie (and it is certainly stallones movie in more ways than one) also earned Oscar nominations for Burgess Merideth, Burt Young, and Talia Shire. It also gave Carl Weathers a career, and was one of Frank Capra's favourite films.

He then made a couple of left turns by making F.I.S.T and Paradise Alley, having a hand in both screenplays. In both films he gave great acting turns, particulary F.I.S.T.

Rocky II, III, and IV, are great boxing flicks with some fantastic fights, big charactures, and some great acting moments, and in total made just short of $700 million dollars. Not bad for movies made in the late seventies and early eighties. He also written, directed, and choreographed these films.

His portrayal of a vietnam vet returning home after the war in First Blood rivals anything done by Tom Cruise or Jon Voight. Before Rambo became more a superhero than a war hero, he was a lonely, sad, haunted man on the edge of psychosis. His speech at the end is a killer, and the downbeat ending right on the button. The two sequels are great action films in their own right, as proved by their box office and there intergration into popular culture and language.

Other films where Stallone shows us his acting chops is Lock Up, D-Tox, Daylight, and Copland.
Lock Up is another under-rated gem and one of my favorites. D-Tox is a movie of two halves.
The first half being taut with suspence and some cracking acting, the second descending into a I Know What You Did Last Summer type mess. Again, Stallone gives a great, worn, performance.
And as for Copland, how he never got an Oscar nom i'll never know!!!

I could go on and on but hey!

Oh, and Oscar, Cliffhanger, Night Hawks, Demolition Man, Daylight, Judge Dredd, and Assassins are cool movies too!!

What do you guys and gals think? Me, i think sly should get a feature on his goodself in this very magazine. Maybe even a supplement!

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"
Post #: 1
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 28/7/2006 2:05:48 PM   
Ti

I've been saying this for years, nice to see there are a few fans who agree! The man is a legend for good reason, he should get his dues from Empire! What are they waiting for?!

I am hoping that with Rocky Balboa coming out in December, we'll get a nice interview/profile just like the one we got for Kurt Russell...PLEASE, EMPIRE, DO IT!!!

< Message edited by Ti -- 28/7/2006 5:23:56 PM >

It's true, I'm a rageoholic! I just can't get enough RAGEOHOL!

My books

My Blu-ray collection

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 2
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 28/7/2006 3:22:42 PM   
tbird

To be honest, I quite like Sylvester Stallone. He's got this lovely aura of dumb charm about him.

And you can't beat Rambo really.

Pissed me off by remaking Get Carter though. What was the man thinking???

"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain"

(in reply to Ti)
Post #: 3
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 29/7/2006 12:21:31 AM   
Sutty

Nice to see there are some sly fans. with regards to the get carter remake, nothing is sacred and at least he didn't go for a typical rehash. i thought it had some nice idea's. and anything with john c mcginley is worth a ride!

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.

(in reply to tbird)
Post #: 4
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 31/7/2006 6:06:39 PM   
malamatijm

I'm a big fan of all the 80's (and 90's) action movies, Stallone, Schwarzeneggar, Willis and Segal (yes him too!) are all amazing. I think the younger people going to the cinema are completly missing out on the heroes that always used to play, and I disagree with empire (the old heoes feature couple of issues back) that the audience today needs more intellectual action films, i think there just havn't been actors with as much charisma and charm to make such films appealing. Their films may not have had much plot or characterisation but you wanted to watch it just because it was Stallone or Schwarzeneggar, there's noone who does that anymore.

Perry: He called her a... well, a bad word.

[pause]

Perry: Cunt.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 5
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 1/8/2006 1:44:39 PM   
lord of the pies

He's great in Demolition Man:

'You're gonna regret this the rest of your life... both seconds of it.'

'I'm going to go down there. I'm gonna find Phoenix and I'm gonna put him in a hurt locker.'

Taco Bell Patron: What would you say if I called you a brutish fossil, symbolic of a decayed era gratefully forgotten?
John Spartan
: I don't know... thanks?

Join The Church of JJ today!

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=527670&mpage=23&key=&NID=0#2414995

(in reply to malamatijm)
Post #: 6
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 5/8/2006 7:40:08 AM   
Chrisdee

Sly is okay, not that great in my opinion, he does come off as a jerk, but wow, for 60! He has kept himself in excellent condition and I am awed and applaud him for this.

Enjoy this moment

(in reply to lord of the pies)
Post #: 7
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 6/8/2006 2:06:59 PM   
Ti

How and why does he come off as a jerk?!

- This vexes me. I'm terribly vexed.

My books

My Blu-ray collection

(in reply to Chrisdee)
Post #: 8
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 7/8/2006 7:14:05 PM   
stuieboy

In Copland there is just something so watchable about his performance and certainly went up in my opinion after that and a crying shame he did'nt go on a Travolta style career resurrection.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"

(in reply to Ti)
Post #: 9
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 8/8/2006 3:29:07 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I really enjoyed his role in Assassins, He's a great actor who is Highly under-reated IMHO.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to stuieboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 8/8/2006 1:11:12 PM   
TheMadFatChickKiller

A new Rocky and Rambo could spell the start of new things for old Sly. God knows, we really need some good ol' fashioned action superheros who aren't Marvel comic adap's and therfore subject to the legions of fanboys who demand he act like this, or that that supervillian isn't very good etc etc. Fuck. Them.

I too really liked Demolition Man - it was the film Arnie's Last Action Hero so desparately wanted to be - the gentle piss take of the action genre whilst at the same time playing up to the cliche. Sly can do irony, poor old Arnie can't.

Not wanting to sound subversive, but check out Total Film's 'Eighties' special edition out now. It has a terrific piece on Ahhnald and Sly and the track of their careers through the 80s heyday and beyond.

It's my way, or the highway...

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 11
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 27/8/2006 4:39:37 PM   
Sutty

I saw that and thought it was a great read. But i'm sure Empire could do much better.
I always thought that Sly was much, mcuh better than Arnie. Other than the first two terminator movies I'm not really a fan. Oh, I thought Twins was good. But Stallone is far superior is my opinion. He can act, he can write, direct, produce, do fight choreography. And people obviously like working with him (Rockys cast of Shire, Ward, Weathers, Meredith all returned several times)

I recently watched First Blood and the original Rocky again. Boy, that guy can act. In Rocky he reminded me of a young Brando, particularly in the scenes where he takes adrian ice skating and kisses her later on for the first time. And to think he wrote these scenes too.
I hope (and feel) that the upcoming Rocky Balboa will be a terrific movie. And i agree with a previous post that it'll be nice to have an "everyman hero" again, rather than someone in tights and a cape, etc.

ROCKY! ROCKY! ROCKY! ROCKY! ROCKY!

(in reply to TheMadFatChickKiller)
Post #: 12
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 5/9/2006 7:00:15 PM   
Ti

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheMadFatChickKiller

A new Rocky and Rambo could spell the start of new things for old Sly. God knows, we really need some good ol' fashioned action superheros who aren't Marvel comic adap's and therfore subject to the legions of fanboys who demand he act like this, or that that supervillian isn't very good etc etc. Fuck. Them.

I too really liked Demolition Man - it was the film Arnie's Last Action Hero so desparately wanted to be - the gentle piss take of the action genre whilst at the same time playing up to the cliche. Sly can do irony, poor old Arnie can't.

Not wanting to sound subversive, but check out Total Film's 'Eighties' special edition out now. It has a terrific piece on Ahhnald and Sly and the track of their careers through the 80s heyday and beyond.

I wanted to buy that magazine, but the price scared me. TWENTY FRICKIN' BUCKS FOR A MAGAZINE?! What are they smoking over at TF?! It's barely 130 pages! I would pay $20 for a special Stallone magazine, like the one put out by the German CINEMA back in 90, when Sly was king. Now that's a magazine no Sly fan should be without. Here's the cover for it:

My books

My Blu-ray collection

(in reply to TheMadFatChickKiller)
Post #: 13
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 14/9/2006 1:45:49 AM   
Slyce

Sly's the man! He's 60 & he just keeps goin'! His Rocky & Rambo franchise has gone thru the roof & Sly's laughin' all the way to the bank!
He took his shot & went the distance. He came up & kept climbin' & he hasn't stopped yet.
Sure, he's made some mistakes in his personal like ('Gitte, among others) & his professional life (Stop!, Rhinestone)
but we Sly fans forgive him becuz we just LOVE the guy!
I've been following his career since the early '70's when The Lords of Flatbush came out.
(Being female, I think it's those BIG brown heavy-lidded eyes that got to ME!!)
His best piece of acting was in ALL the Rockys & the end of First Blood when he breaks down.
In Get Carter, he was DEFINITELY the MAN cuz he was ALL business in that one!
But his scenes with his "niece" showed the tender "slyce of Sly".
Yeah, he can act. He just brings along alot of baggage with him.

< Message edited by Slyce -- 26/10/2006 10:24:56 PM >

A Slyce of Sly!

(in reply to Ti)
Post #: 14
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 14/9/2006 3:38:48 PM   
tenacious k

sylvester stallone is a legend rocky 1-4 where absolute inspirin films an 5 was a bit of a meh. Judge Dredd would be crap if any other actor played him an rambo are a great collection of films 

< Message edited by tenacious k -- 14/9/2006 3:40:45 PM >

In case I dont see ya, good afternoon, good evening and good night.

(in reply to Slyce)
Post #: 15
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 18/9/2006 10:33:12 PM   
Sutty

I agree. Thought he was pretty good in Judge Dredd.
Not to mention Cliffhanger and Demolition man
I even thought he was pretty good in Oscar. But even I can't justify Stop! Or my mom'll shoot!

(in reply to tenacious k)
Post #: 16
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 21/10/2006 8:06:35 PM   
Sutty

And on top of everything else, the guy has a fantastic sense of humour and self deprecation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn3KwnCT2iQ

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 17
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 21/10/2006 10:13:47 PM   
tenacious k

I heard that when Sly handed in the script for Rocky back when he was a nobody the producers loved the script and they where thinkin great but who could play rocky. Sly was like.."err me hint hint" but he wasn't beefy enough. So he said hang on a sec went off beefed up an came back as the famous Rocky Balboa thank god as well. Burt Reynolds auditioned for it, what would the Rocky anthology be with Burt Reynolds? Absolute bollocks is the answer

Anyway that was just a snippet of information of how Sly made his name

< Message edited by tenacious k -- 21/10/2006 10:14:41 PM >

In case I dont see ya, good afternoon, good evening and good night.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 18
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 21/10/2006 11:34:14 PM   
Sutty

Yeah, they wanted anyone but Sly. I know that Burt Young auditioned too - he eventually played Paulie - and I think James Caan was another they spoke to. But good ol' Sly kept his cool and had faith in himself.

(in reply to tenacious k)
Post #: 19
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 22/10/2006 1:20:49 AM   
JIm R

Hugely underated actor.  Great talent.  The misconception on this guy is so way off target.

Compare him to his contemporaries and he stands held and shoulders above them.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 20
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 22/10/2006 5:32:45 PM   
evil bill

Sylvester Stalone is good actor/director and has proven this with his various roles over the years.He is not in the same league as Pacnio,De Niro and Depp,but he is up there with Nickilson,Eastwood and Caan.It's a shame a lot of people only think of the Rambo and Rocky movies when they hear his name but it's there loss!

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 21
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 22/10/2006 6:00:58 PM   
Sutty

I know. You've only got to look at the likes of F.I.S.T and Copland to see that the guy can act.
Even in D-Tox, a movie that was ruined by a poor second half which was forced upon it by a studio and a weak director, he gave an excellent emotional performance. Even when the film decends into I Know What You Did In Rehab, he keeps his character on track. You can certainly see there was a misssed opportunity with that movie.

Unfortunately he became a victim of his own success. In Rocky he found a voice that everyone wanted to hear, but when he wanted to do other things, the public didn't want to know. Until Rambo.
The guy has created two landmark movie icons. One especially of which - and just to clarify i'm talking Rocky here - will be remembered long after Schwarzeneggers Terminator, or Willis' John McClane, have been forgotten.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 22
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 22/10/2006 6:03:38 PM   
Empitomezzo

He's crap.

http://zummer.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 23
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 22/10/2006 6:20:26 PM   
Sutty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Empitomezzo

He's crap.

i believe this is an appreciation thread. Coming on and just saying "he's crap" shows a huge amount of ignorance on your part. Back it up, tell me why you think he's crap. Or are you really that bored, you just write obstructive, gormless comments.

(in reply to Empitomezzo)
Post #: 24
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 22/10/2006 10:34:48 PM   
Art Vandelay

quote:

He's crap.

Cheers for that. Anywho, i think he's a darn good actor. His breakdown at the end of Rambo proves that alone.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

Post #: 25
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 23/10/2006 2:46:01 AM   
Maria Noir

Great thread Sutty! I'm sick of Sly getting so much stick, I wish people would leave him alone.

He hammered out his script for Rocky in two days.

He insisted that he played the title role, even though producers offered him $150,000 to let Ryan O'Neal play the part. Tell me what other aspiring actor/screenwriter has done that? 

Stallone really did punch the frozen meat in the training scene in Rocky. In fact he did it so many times in many different takes that after filming was finished, he noticed the shape of his hands was different. His knuckles were left completely flattened and they remain that way to this day. Now that's dedication!

Sly gained 40 pounds to add realism to his portrayal of the police officer in Copland. He also was only paid SAG minimum wages. Okay it was 20 pounds less than De Niro in Raging Bull but dammit it's still alot.

He is in fantasic physical shape for his films. Take Rocky IV, The Specialist or the upcoming Rocky Balboa for example.

Okay so Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot was pants, but's Schwarznegger's made worse (see Junior).

His speech at the end of First Blood was very moving and a quality piece of acting.

The opening sequence to Cliffhanger is one of my favourites because of the tension and panic evoked by the characters (except for the old geezer who looks like he's laughing his head off through the whole ordeal)

Stallone rocks!

< Message edited by Maria Noir -- 23/10/2006 2:54:34 AM >

The Empire Script Challenge: Month 19 - Look Through The Looking Glass

"And our bodies are earth. And our thoughts are clay. And we sleep and eat with death."

"- Are we going to let politics get in the way of our friendship?
- Friendship? You told people I lured children into my Gingerbread House!
- Haha. Yeah. That was just a lie."

(in reply to Ti)
Post #: 26
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 23/10/2006 2:52:25 AM   
Maria Noir

quote:

He's crap.

I-must-break-you

The Empire Script Challenge: Month 19 - Look Through The Looking Glass

"And our bodies are earth. And our thoughts are clay. And we sleep and eat with death."

"- Are we going to let politics get in the way of our friendship?
- Friendship? You told people I lured children into my Gingerbread House!
- Haha. Yeah. That was just a lie."

Post #: 27
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 24/10/2006 6:15:47 PM   
Joe Buck

Pretty damn good in Cop Land.

Y'all know me.

You gonna do some prayin' for me, boy and you better pray good.

This is this. This ain't something else. This is this.

(in reply to Maria Noir)
Post #: 28
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 24/10/2006 7:41:27 PM   
evil bill

Looking forward to ROCKY BALBOA,but have my doubts on RAMBO 4.Would realy like to see him in a cop movie/thiller for to exorsise those acting mussles,maybe even direct it?

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Joe Buck)
Post #: 29
RE: Sylvester Stallone - 24/10/2006 7:55:12 PM   
Sutty

New pic from Rocky Balboa (left)

The above pictured book is released stateside on december 18th 2006, and is the comprehensive guide to the Rocky movies. Already putting my order in!!

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Sylvester Stallone Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI