Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Doctor Who

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  641 642 643 644 [645]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Doctor Who - 7/9/2014 5:57:30 PM   
Captain Black

I liked it!

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 19321
RE: Doctor Who - 7/9/2014 7:40:56 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

I liked it!

Me too. There's a shocker.

I do think it was a MASSIVE concession to kids TV, but in channelling Maid Marian and her Merry Men and Capaldi in fine fettle I was very entertained by it. Robin's men were in high camp, high twattery mode and only the Doctor's peevishness saved this aspect. Favourite moments were asking Robin if he gets punched in the face often, and snarling at Alan that he had six months to live.

None of this justifies a Doctor Who episode and I understand why others didn't like it. The question is, why do a kids TV episode? Hopefully, it was one concession to bring the really young audience along. Episodes one and two (favourably in my opinion) showed no wish whatsoever to befriend this Doctor with a small children fanbase who might still be pining for Matt. I think this is one episode which will bring this around. I'd like to think so. It remains to be seen if this levity is anywhere repeated quite to this extent in the remainder of the series. I liked the episode, I think they took a chance and for my money and a lot of critics it was successful for what they intended. But I'd like them to quit while they're ahead on this front and keep the outre light episodes to a minimum.

I'm looking forward to opening a beer and sitting down with this episode again in 20 minutes time. It's always a good sign to look forward to a rewatch.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 7/9/2014 7:42:36 PM >

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 19322
RE: Doctor Who - 7/9/2014 8:21:46 PM   
Senor Benedict

Loved this episode. Yeah, a bit silly (hell, a LOT silly) but hugely enjoyable. DW doesn't always have to be all dark and shit...

I'll give a special mention to Ms Coleman. Last season, I thought she was a pretty insignificant companion... THIS season, she's great. Yeah, she's bloody gorgeous (I think we all figured that out in Asylum Of The Daleks) but she's really coming into her own now... funny and tough and being our link to a Doctor who isn't always that likeable anymore...

This might not be my favourite season on DW ever, but I think it's the most interesting... looking forward to 'Listen'...

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 19323
RE: Doctor Who - 9/9/2014 10:38:58 AM   
spark1

news of this year's xmas special-

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-09-08/jenna-coleman-i-wont-say-if-im-leaving-doctor-who-itll-spoil-the-surprise-weve-got-coming

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-09-08/doctor-who-christmas-special-begins-filming-in-cardiff?fb_comment_id=fbc_775166569209307_775184629207501_775184629207501

happy birthday to janet fielding. brave heart.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a595197/doctor-who-remastered-classic-episodes-to-air-on-horror.html

< Message edited by spark1 -- 9/9/2014 10:46:26 AM >

(in reply to Senor Benedict)
Post #: 19324
RE: Doctor Who - 11/9/2014 12:02:19 PM   
spark1

RT has online companion special-

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-09-09/doctor-whos-greatest-companions-magazine-free-with-radio-times-ipad-edition

Post #: 19325
RE: Doctor Who - 14/9/2014 10:13:17 AM   
Sledge Hammer

I've read quite a few reviews of last nights episode and they are glowing but for me, it was an episode that I wanted to love but just didn't.

It didn't really make sense. If it's all in your head, then what was under the blanket ? What turned off the tv? What moved the chalk? What was knocking on the hull? If there was a monster, are we supposed to forget about it?

Also, although the twist of going to the young doctor was excellent (or possibly it was the young master?) , how did they get to galiffrey? It's disappeared I thought, hidden. If it's as easy as going back in your own timeline, then the time war lock was pointless!

Also, orson (or was it awesome?) pink was at the end of the world. He claimed to be the great grandson of Danny and Clara. That means the end of the world is in 150 years odd. I'm sure they have travelled further into the future before?

Having said all of that, the acting was great. Didn't hate it but it was not great.

But then again, I enjoyed last weeks robin episode!

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to Dozy McGrew)
Post #: 19326
RE: Doctor Who - 14/9/2014 11:03:07 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer

Also, although the twist of going to the young doctor was excellent (or possibly it was the young master?)

From Moffat's first ever Dr Who episode:

"What's this, then? It's never easy being the only child left out in the cold, you know."

"I suppose you'd know."

"I do actually, yes."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K91dLbiHR14

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 19327
RE: Doctor Who - 14/9/2014 11:18:49 AM   
sam89

quote:

I've read quite a few reviews of last nights episode and they are glowing but for me, it was an episode that I wanted to love but just didn't.

It didn't really make sense. If it's all in your head, then what was under the blanket ? What turned off the tv? What moved the chalk? What was knocking on the hull? If there was a monster, are we supposed to forget about it?

Also, although the twist of going to the young doctor was excellent (or possibly it was the young master?) , how did they get to galiffrey? It's disappeared I thought, hidden. If it's as easy as going back in your own timeline, then the time war lock was pointless!

Also, orson (or was it awesome?) pink was at the end of the world. He claimed to be the great grandson of Danny and Clara. That means the end of the world is in 150 years odd. I'm sure they have travelled further into the future before?

Having said all of that, the acting was great. Didn't hate it but it was not great.

Everything strange that happened was given an alternative rational explanation by the characters on screen. The TV was just broken, the hull was just contracting, etc. Whether there really were monsters is left up to interpretation (was it a monster under the blanket or just one of Rupert's friends?).

As for the end of the world, the Doctor said that Orson ended up accidentally travelling to the end of time.

< Message edited by sam89 -- 14/9/2014 11:19:30 AM >

Post #: 19328
RE: Doctor Who - 14/9/2014 11:26:41 AM   
Vadersville

quote:

I too thought the lack of monster was a bit of a cop out, especially considering how chilling everything that had come before was. At one point I thought there might even be a callback to Midnight with the knocking from outside the air lock! There was the set-up here for a great new Doctor Who baddie. Wasted. I might have preferred it if they had left it more ambiguous...

I didn't think that barn was meant to have been on Gallifrey during the Anniversary special, but thinking back Ten does say something like we shouldn't have been able to travel here due to the Time Lock when he and Eleven are brought to the bar by The Moment. That said, is Gallifrey completely time-locked or just the events of the Time War onwards? I seem to remember Ten ranting at someone that he could just go back in time and see his home again but he mustn't...

Orson was from 100 years into out future but was the first time traveller and was meant to have been sent a week ahead but ended up at the end of the universe on the very last world. (So is that around the same time of Utopia then?)

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 14/9/2014 11:27:02 AM >

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 19329
RE: Doctor Who - 14/9/2014 11:43:50 AM   
Sledge Hammer

If it's around the time of utopia, it would make sense that it was the master they visited as he was there.

If we take the concept that you can cross your own timeline as Matt did in the weeping angels, then perhaps the tardis picked up on the masters timeline?

Check it out!

(in reply to Dozy McGrew)
Post #: 19330
RE: Doctor Who - 14/9/2014 11:48:24 AM   
Captain Black

I thought that was a terrific episode, one of my favourites, even though (perhaps because?) it was basically the same mechanism as the Weeping Angels and The Silence - though the ultimate reveal playing on that knowledge and going against it was another reason it worked for me.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 19331
RE: Doctor Who - 14/9/2014 11:57:30 AM   
Sledge Hammer

Surely, galiffrey is completely locked, otherwise, someone called go terminator on it and destroy it out of existence in the future.

Actually I am way over thinking this!

Check it out!

Post #: 19332
RE: Doctor Who - 14/9/2014 6:25:13 PM   
Senor Benedict

'Listen'... not only the best ep since Mr Capaldi's tenure, but one of the best since the show came back in 2005...

Hell, I'll say it, one of the best since 1963.

And Miss Coleman is playing a bloody blinder right now...

Post #: 19333
RE: Doctor Who - 14/9/2014 7:01:07 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

If it's around the time of utopia, it would make sense that it was the master they visited as he was there.

If we take the concept that you can cross your own timeline as Matt did in the weeping angels, then perhaps the tardis picked up on the masters timeline?

It's made pretty clear that it's The Doctor's past that Clara winds up in. The TARDIS was homing on someone close to her as it did with Danny.

Post #: 19334
RE: Doctor Who - 14/9/2014 11:40:40 PM   
Lang

Easily the best episode so far!

The scene at the orphanage was the scariest WHO has been for a while.

What/Who was under the covers?

No mention of Missy or Promised Land? or did i miss it

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 19335
RE: Doctor Who - 15/9/2014 7:49:30 AM   
demoncleaner

I wonder if the creature (if there was a creature) will be revisited in this arc? I'm intrigued by the question posed in regard to what such a thing, which had hidden for all existence, would do when there was only one other living thing? I wanted to see what was revealed to the Doctor at the end.

I'm slightly confused by Orson's spacesuit. It's DT's from the impossible planet and it's made a few appearances since of course. It's easy to assume that the Doctor kept it in the Tardis but was Orson wearing it when he went on his mission?

Clara continues to be the Impossible Girl, cropping up in his time line even though that aspect seemed to be tied up last series. I like that. If the Eleventh Doctor was irrevocably tied to the life of Amy Pond Clara is (through no fault of her own) insinuating herself into the history of the Doctor. I like that. It's a distinctive trait for a companion that might have just been filler for some. I agree with Senor I think Jenna's been fantastic this series (and I've liked her from the start).

Listen seemed like a more tasteful, less busy version of Day of the Moon. Children's home, "what just happened a second ago", who's in the creepy spacesuit.

(in reply to Lang)
Post #: 19336
RE: Doctor Who - 15/9/2014 6:55:30 PM   
Base

They didn't explicitly state it, but I am assuming that them visiting Gallifrey had something to do with Clara's ability to move around the Doctor's timeline (she went to Gallifrey to visit past incarnations of the Doctor when she stepped into his grave. Not sure about the relevance of leaving him with the soldier though.

The spacesuit seems to be just typical of that era.

Not entirely convinced it was one of Rupert's friends under the blanket, but that was chilling!!!

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

Post #: 19337
RE: Doctor Who - 16/9/2014 11:02:18 AM   
FoximusPrime

I've really been getting into this series - each time I've watched it in recent years, it's been disappointing (probably because I hadn't been following the series arcs, although the resolutions to the episodes often left a lot to be desired), but Capaldi's tenure has been impressive so far.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

They didn't explicitly state it, but I am assuming that them visiting Gallifrey had something to do with Clara's ability to move around the Doctor's timeline (she went to Gallifrey to visit past incarnations of the Doctor when she stepped into his grave. Not sure about the relevance of leaving him with the soldier though.

The spacesuit seems to be just typical of that era.

Not entirely convinced it was one of Rupert's friends under the blanket, but that was chilling!!!

I didn't get the significance of the toy soldier myself although I've just thought: could it have inspired the War Doctor in the same way the twelfth Doctor said he'd hypnotically imprinted 'Dan the soldier man' on Rupert (I haven't gotten around to watching The Day of the Doctor yet so I'm not sure where that incarnation fits into the Doctor's past, so I could be way off).

Like others, my thought at the time was that the young future Time Lord could actually have been the Master, not the Doctor.

Whatever was under the blanket, I got the impression it wasn't human from the blurry view we got through the window...

< Message edited by FoximusPrime -- 16/9/2014 11:03:28 AM >

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 19338
RE: Doctor Who - 16/9/2014 2:21:39 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

I'm sure I read somewhere that the toy soldier with no gun who leads the others could have been a representation of what The Doctor becomes himself.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 19339
RE: Doctor Who - 17/9/2014 12:29:59 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: FoximusPrime
Like others, my thought at the time was that the young future Time Lord could actually have been the Master, not the Doctor.

It's unequivocally the barn from Day of the Doctor - Clara recognises it and refers to it in her speech to the kid Doctor.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 19340
RE: Doctor Who - 19/9/2014 11:54:33 AM   
spark1

details of this week's DWM-

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/09/dwm478-180914210008.html

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/09/the-caretaker-time-confirmed-for-830pm.html

Post #: 19341
RE: Doctor Who - 19/9/2014 9:37:58 PM   
spark1

nick frost and. michael troughton join the. xmas special.

Post #: 19342
RE: Doctor Who - 20/9/2014 9:30:22 PM   
Captain Black

That was some top quality 'let's just change the lighting to make it look like we've only got one corridor set' action and no mistake.

Another really good episode.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 19343
RE: Doctor Who - 20/9/2014 11:34:21 PM   
demoncleaner

I thought it was very good. It's my least favourite so far. 5 episodes in and my least favourite episode was "very good", I couldn't be happier.

I'm a Nu-Whoer and tried to get into it pre-Blink but found at least sixty percent of it unwatchable. I judge every episode ever since on its re-watchability. I feel at odds with a lot of fans because I've an exaggeratedly high threshold for facile joy episodes like Robot of Sherwood, Curse of the Black Spot and Dinosaurs on a Spaceship...and I kind of feel chill in light of general well-reviewed episodes like Midnight, God Complex, Listen and Time Heist. All high quality episodes, and I'm delighted when they're received well. I like that immensely. But feel kind of numb with the content itself.

On another note...my Dad has started watching Doctor Who! He despises it and lives to slag me about it. With the advent of Capaldi I've used The Thick of It on lazy Saturdays as the foreplay and post-coital afterglow of Doctor Who (creepy when put like that) and my Dad loves Malcolm...so he now knows that Saturday is Capaldi day. Last week after Listen I came into the sitting room and he said in baffling earnest "so that was him as a wee fella?" I did a double-take and said "yes...absolutely." I came in tonight and he said "I didn't like that one...I don't like the monster thing." I said I was delighted he watched it, but suggested if he didn't like monsters maybe Doctor Who wasn't made with him in mind. He shrugged and said "I know that. But I like yer man."

So there you go, Capaldi has caused an almighty revolution in our house already. If it keeps going like this we could be watching the Christmas episode as a family.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 20/9/2014 11:46:32 PM >

Post #: 19344
RE: Doctor Who - 21/9/2014 7:33:04 PM   
Sotto Voce

Okay, 2 good ones in a row. Now we're getting somewhere.

I like how Capaldi is developing, but he still has a fair bit of that Tennant/Smith quirkiness that I wish he would lose. I think he would be better playing it straighter and with more dry wit.

All things digested have a similar hue.

Post #: 19345
RE: Doctor Who - 21/9/2014 7:54:02 PM   
Senor Benedict

I'm finally am getting into this new series after two episodes I liked in a row...

Love Capaldi as an actor but after the initial excitement of him being cast, I felt a bit let down by him being so damn unlikeable... yes, I like the idea of a darker / untrustworthy Doctor, but not one who actively alienates the viewers...

But now he's thawing out and his companion seems to like him again... more to the point, he's becoming sympathetic and not someone who shouts at people because he's 'scottish' and can get away with it...

'Time Heist' was a fun romp that I really enjoyed. And I think that this series-arc might be the best one ever...

BTW, Jenna in a Reservour Dogs suit..? Hot as all hell...

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 19346
RE: Doctor Who - 21/9/2014 8:47:36 PM   
Reidy

I found that last night to be most enjoyable. Wasn't sure when I read the synopsis, but it was very watchable.

Post #: 19347
RE: Doctor Who - 21/9/2014 9:19:21 PM   
Senor Benedict

OK, The Doctor hates to be hugged... but when Jenna leaves (which will surely be the case in the Christmas special, she's done her two-year stint and doubtlessly has those gorgeous eyes on Hollywood...) I suspect that he will finally give her a great big snuggly hug... and there won't be a dry eye in the house...

(in reply to Reidy)
Post #: 19348
RE: Doctor Who - 22/9/2014 10:25:44 AM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: Senor Benedict

OK, The Doctor hates to be hugged... but when Jenna leaves (which will surely be the case in the Christmas special, she's done her two-year stint and doubtlessly has those gorgeous eyes on Hollywood...) I suspect that he will finally give her a great big snuggly hug... and there won't be a dry eye in the house...

No, I think they'll have a massive fight and never speak to each other again. Or possibly he will talk her into killing herself.

But seriously, I hope its not that sappy.

All things digested have a similar hue.

Post #: 19349
RE: Doctor Who - 22/9/2014 8:35:53 PM   
Senor Benedict

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: Senor Benedict

No, I think they'll have a massive fight and never speak to each other again. Or possibly he will talk her into killing herself.

But seriously, I hope its not that sappy.

It probably will be... I don't mind it too much. Certainly better than the current HAT bouncing around the internet...

(I have to ask, am I the only person on WHO forums who didn't know what HAT meant? Half-assed-theories, in case you were wondering... dammit, as a younger man I used to be on top of these expressions...)

< Message edited by Senor Benedict -- 22/9/2014 8:36:38 PM >

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 19350
Page:   <<   < prev  641 642 643 644 [645]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  641 642 643 644 [645]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI