Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Doctor Who

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  581 582 [583] 584 585   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Doctor Who - 6/5/2013 8:17:53 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

One thing amongst many that bothered me in this ep...

How can a dinosaur era parasite enable a woman to build a rocket in the mid 19th Century - did I miss something there?

It wasn't supposed to be a long term thing. it was just a big rocket that was supposed to go up a few hundred feet into the air and then explode. Just a big firework, basically.

And if that's a bit too much to ask... well, it's WHO logic! None of it makes much sense nowadays...

I'm more puzzled about how everyone wasn't incinerated when that rocket went off in an enclosed space, just a few feet around them...

But, again, WHO logic...

Say what now?

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 17461
RE: Doctor Who - 6/5/2013 8:27:14 PM   
paul_ie86

I was really glad to see the old woman from Game of Thrones turn up in something else. She's great.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 17462
RE: Doctor Who - 6/5/2013 9:29:05 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

I was really glad to see the old woman from Game of Thrones turn up in something else. She's great.

By old woman I'm guessing you mean Dame Diana Rigg?

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 17463
RE: Doctor Who - 6/5/2013 9:35:19 PM   
elab49

I'm guessing he's funning tbh.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 17464
RE: Doctor Who - 6/5/2013 9:36:14 PM   
elab49

Also, I'm so nicking your av at some point in the future.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17465
RE: Doctor Who - 6/5/2013 9:43:29 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

quote:

Yeah, according to IMDb that's her name.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 17466
RE: Doctor Who - 6/5/2013 10:01:58 PM   
musht

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, according to IMDb that's her name.

I didn't recognise her with those Yorkshire teeth

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 17467
RE: Doctor Who - 7/5/2013 11:32:37 AM   
demoncleaner

The Crimson Horror is now my current second favourite episode behind The Snowmen.  Entertaining, demented, self-confident and self-enjoyed in a good way.    Fainting fella, Matt’s Frankenstein walk and the sonic cure-all shower cubicle were the only slightly naff things in it but I feel these are really slight next to the splendid toy box we got emptied out at our feet here.  What can you say about Dame Diana?  One of the most lurid, colourfully exploited turns I’ve seen in the show offset with a fitfully soulful rendering from real-life daughter Rachel Stirling.  My favourite moment was Ada battering her mum with a poker while The Doctor and Clara looked on with a “it’s a fair cop guv” look of complete passivity. When you add Vastra, Jenny and Strax (the Paternoster gang?) I think you raise the entertainment levels by proxy of almost simple cheat mode but bringing Jenny to the fore was a really nice touch and Catrin Stewart completely upheld her part admirably.   

I think Gatiss just unashamedly enjoyed himself here.  The arrival of the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movies may have made any notion of adapting Mark’s Lucifer Box novels redundant, but here he definitely reclaims the colour and tone of those books with this Industrial Age madcap conspiracy.  The dialogue bled gothic “perfidious virago!”. The moment when Mrs Gillyflower pulled the gun was half Lucifer Box, half Naked Gun, but you know, it worked, it really, really worked.  The final squishing of the parasite is also a gag of much needed anti-dote to the current irritating trend of doing right in the end by the monster.   This was fantastic, I can’t see it being topped, I just hope the next two are half as good.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 17468
RE: Doctor Who - 7/5/2013 11:37:50 AM   
AxlReznor

Surprised that so many people enjoyed that episode. I thought it was one of the most awful I've ever seen, and am really hoping that Gaiman's episode next week is something really special to make up for the poor quality of most of this year's episodes (with the ghost episode and 'Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS' being notable exceptions).

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 17469
RE: Doctor Who - 7/5/2013 11:51:54 AM   
elab49

For me, it stood out as being quite fun BUT it was too truncated and, annoyingly, like the submarine one a decent attempt sunk by poor direction. Something is just badly off with the pacing off the directing behind these ones - it might be the case in others, but I've not thought much of them anyway so it's not primarily come to notice. But when it's almost sinking the better episodes, they need to look closely at the technical stuff behind the camera.

I want a pet Sontaran.

quote:

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 17470
RE: Doctor Who - 7/5/2013 7:02:46 PM   
Rgirvan44

Yeah, the direction of the show seems to have taken a step back - I quite enjoyed how they did it in series 5.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17471
RE: Doctor Who - 7/5/2013 8:50:00 PM   
SadFace

I enjoyed this episode but some of the lines and the humour seemed so forced. Also, am I the only one who can't stand Strax? His character annoys me to the point where it pisses me off.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 17472
RE: Doctor Who - 7/5/2013 8:58:08 PM   
elab49

Strax is great and you are wrong

quote:

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 17473
RE: Doctor Who - 7/5/2013 9:08:52 PM   
SadFace

He just seems like a parody of himself now. I completely disagree with people saying that he and Vastra stole the show. If anyone stole it, it's Jenny. Vastra and Strax are an often embarrassing attempt at an alien Holmes and Watson.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17474
RE: Doctor Who - 7/5/2013 9:17:47 PM   
elab49

Vastra felt as if she was barely in it. Ditto it was Jenny's show - but I still loved Strax. And the horse. And turning up with the gun

quote:

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 17475
RE: Doctor Who - 7/5/2013 9:24:13 PM   
Shifty Bench

I like Strax but he certainly is a one joke character. I would start to really hate his shtick if we had it every week in a spin-off. Also, I think Jenny is pretty cute.

And I still think the Tom-Tom gag was cringeworthy.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 17476
RE: Doctor Who - 8/5/2013 12:37:16 PM   
wombathog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

I like Strax but he certainly is a one joke character. I would start to really hate his shtick if we had it every week in a spin-off. Also, I think Jenny is pretty cute.

And I still think the Tom-Tom gag was cringeworthy.

Yes it was heavily signposted (boom and indeed boom).
I have never understood the appeal of Strax until his last couple of appearances to be honest. I think he only works as a silly character. When he was treated more seriously it just didn't work - or maybe that's just why the Sontarons haven't worked...in my opinion.

Being chased by new potatoes just isn't that threatening.

'Would you mind dear sir if I asked you a question, If music be the food of love are you the indigestion?'

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 17477
RE: Doctor Who - 8/5/2013 11:32:37 PM   
Rgirvan44

Strax is great - and the point of him is that under the Doctor someone born for war, actually now fights for peace (although it still takes a bit of restraint)

When he admits to Rory that "he is just a nurse" - that is the key to it all.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to wombathog)
Post #: 17478
RE: Doctor Who - 10/5/2013 12:53:56 PM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: SadFace

I enjoyed this episode but some of the lines and the humour seemed so forced. Also, am I the only one who can't stand Strax? His character annoys me to the point where it pisses me off.

I agree. Pretty much every line he has is a gag. He is Jar Jar Binks. A bit of subtlety and restraint with the humour would be good.

I didn't get the Thomas Thomas joke. Is it a Dickens reference or something?

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 17479
RE: Doctor Who - 10/5/2013 1:10:44 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce

I didn't get the Thomas Thomas joke. Is it a Dickens reference or something?

He gave some really detailed directions and his name is Tom Tom.

I thought the episode was alright. I like Vastra and Jenny and I don't mind Strax but I dunno it just felt rushed again. Plus the badass Jenny scene was pretty pathetic, I really think that could have been better. Someone touched on it above but I think the direction this series may be what's causing this apathy. Most of the single parters have always been fast paced but this season they feel rushed and it hurts the storytelling for me.

Can' wait till this weeks episode though.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 17480
RE: Doctor Who - 10/5/2013 2:03:37 PM   
spark1

BAFTA celebrates 'who' 50 this sunday-

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a480221/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-to-be-celebrated-at-bafta-tv-awards.html

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 17481
RE: Doctor Who - 10/5/2013 6:48:05 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Someone touched on it above but I think the direction this series may be what's causing this apathy. Most of the single parters have always been fast paced but this season they feel rushed and it hurts the storytelling for me.

Can' wait till this weeks episode though.

Indeed. Neil Gaiman! Cybermen! Star Wars legend Warwick Davis! Hurrah!

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 17482
RE: Doctor Who - 11/5/2013 1:18:27 PM   
paul_ie86

Seeing as this is The Sun - how much of this can I take as being true and how much is utter bollocks?

POSSIBLE 50TH ANNIVERSARY SPOILERS
www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4921644/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-special-spoilers.html

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 17483
RE: Doctor Who - 11/5/2013 1:35:19 PM   
matty_b

Well, it's in The Sun for a start and uses the ever-reliable source for another thing. Probably the same source that told us Donna was going to be the Master, and David Morrissey was definitely the next Doctor.

There's quite possibly a grain of truth in it somewhere, and probably twisted out of shape, but it's worth remembering that a) from what I understand, a lot of false information is put out there deliberately by the production team to throw people off the scent* and b) if that were to be truth, that would be Moffat changing an entire segment of the mythos of the show and would enrage thousands of fans in the process. Fun as that second part would be, I'm not convinced he would do that.

*obviously the BBC can't lie about stuff, but there's ways around that. For instance, I know of an insider source who was adamant that a flashback to Paul McGann and Genghis Khan attacking his TARDIS was going to be in one of the specials a few years back. Never, ever true and the BBC never officially said that was going to happen, but the same rules don't apply to leaks I would imagine.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 17484
RE: Doctor Who - 11/5/2013 1:35:28 PM   
rawlinson

That particular spoiler is one that's been floating around for a few weeks, so it's either genuine or it's something a fanboy pulled out of their arse and The Sun has run with it.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 17485
RE: Doctor Who - 11/5/2013 1:41:04 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

b) if that were to be truth, that would be Moffat changing an entire segment of the mythos of the show and would enrage thousands of fans in the process. Fun as that second part would be, I'm not convinced he would do that.

I'm not reading the spoiler but I've kind of gotten the impression that Moffat isn't overly interested in the mythos of the show. Did the Dr popping through a time hole to pass on info to himself in Journey to the Centre not seem a bit off to anyone else?

quote:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 17486
RE: Doctor Who - 11/5/2013 1:43:25 PM   
elab49

Also, I did read a separate report (unspoilered in time, but I shouldn't have read the article at all) in which John Hurt reportedly made a direct comment to another newspaper about his role. I'm guessing a lot of interps have gone into that.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17487
RE: Doctor Who - 11/5/2013 1:51:37 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

b) if that were to be truth, that would be Moffat changing an entire segment of the mythos of the show and would enrage thousands of fans in the process. Fun as that second part would be, I'm not convinced he would do that.

I'm not reading the spoiler but I've kind of gotten the impression that Moffat isn't overly interested in the mythos of the show. Did the Dr popping through a time hole to pass on info to himself in Journey to the Centre not seem a bit off to anyone else?

Well, without going into the spoiler, it's not like RTD's decision to restart the show with the Doctor as the only Time Lord. This is more like the TV movie's decision to make the Doctor half-human, except bigger I would say.

I think there's levels of mythos and this is pretty high up there. On one hand, brave and potentially interesting IF it's true, but I remain to be convinced.

As for the second thing, McCoy was doing that as far back as Battlefield so it didn't bother me.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17488
RE: Doctor Who - 11/5/2013 1:52:23 PM   
rawlinson

For those who've read the story, what do you think about it if it is true? I quite like it for two reasons.

Spoilered

1. Because it makes Matt 12, which brings the regeneration limit even closer to being dealt with.

2. People are already losing their mind just over the possibility, if it's actually true then the meltdowns will be glorious.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 17489
RE: Doctor Who - 11/5/2013 2:01:35 PM   
matty_b

I would laugh because of the second reason.

But overall...hm, not keen. Without getting spoilerific about it, I think it messes with something that should be dealt with on screen.

But it is potentially interesting.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 17490
Page:   <<   < prev  581 582 [583] 584 585   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  581 582 [583] 584 585   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI