Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Doctor Who

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  573 574 [575] 576 577   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Doctor Who - 4/4/2013 10:33:08 AM   
Rebenectomy

I always assumed, the standing next to Rose explanation aside, that DT went for the English accent was because his only really big TV role before that was Casanova, where he also had the English accent, and it simply helped familiarise and ingratiate him to the audience. Or else he was, and quite rightly too, ashamed of being Scottish.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 17221
RE: Doctor Who - 4/4/2013 10:44:21 AM   
elab49

I don't think the middle pt scans though - the audience being British, not English? I can't think that would really have factored. Not sure about the Rose thing either - then where did Smith get his accent? Or why didn't it adjust on meeting Amelia?

Is it possible that Davis expected the English accent because that's what he saw Tennant using elsehwere, on stage eg? Although I think he was using his normal accent in the Deputy PM thing he was in before Dr Who. And he must have seen Takin' Over the Asylum (still Tennant's best TV role IMO).

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 17222
RE: Doctor Who - 4/4/2013 10:54:00 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I don't think the middle pt scans though - the audience being British, not English? I can't think that would really have factored. Not sure about the Rose thing either - then where did Smith get his accent? Or why didn't it adjust on meeting Amelia?

Is it possible that Davis expected the English accent because that's what he saw Tennant using elsehwere, on stage eg? Although I think he was using his normal accent in the Deputy PM thing he was in before Dr Who. And he must have seen Takin' Over the Asylum (still Tennant's best TV role IMO).

Well like I say, they dropped it as an explanation.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17223
RE: Doctor Who - 4/4/2013 10:55:39 AM   
Rebenectomy

I was thinking more along the lines of people already having a perception of him with an English accent that they didn't want to interfere with. I assume Casanova was a highest pre Who audience figures for Tennant, it was certainly what most of my friends and family recognised him from.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17224
RE: Doctor Who - 4/4/2013 11:01:24 AM   
elab49

Good question. The reason I think it might not (and this might be entirely wrong) is - wasn't it a BBC3/4 job rather than the main channels? I'm pretty sure his biggest role pre-Dr Who would have been Blackpool, which got a hell of a lot more publicity. And featured one of the most excruciating scenes I've ever had to turn away from on my TV set,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 17225
RE: Doctor Who - 4/4/2013 11:02:14 AM   
Rebenectomy

Btw, did anyone manage to get the 50th anniversary stamps presentation pack from Royal Mail. I've been to two POs, both sold out. They we're meant to be a birthday gift for my son and I'm worried I'm going to have to pay through the nose to get some now.

Post #: 17226
RE: Doctor Who - 4/4/2013 11:08:57 AM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Good question. The reason I think it might not (and this might be entirely wrong) is - wasn't it a BBC3/4 job rather than the main channels? I'm pretty sure his biggest role pre-Dr Who would have been Blackpool, which got a hell of a lot more publicity. And featured one of the most excruciating scenes I've ever had to turn away from on my TV set,

It was BBC 3 originally, but on BBC 1 about a month later. It also had a successful DVD run and the performance is cited by RTD as being the one that secured him the Doctor roll. I guess that's why I've always made the accent association between the two.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17227
RE: Doctor Who - 4/4/2013 11:11:37 AM   
elab49

My experience of PO presentation sets is that you're lucky if any PO other than a cities main PO get them and they don't get many as they assume most will order online. I'd a quick check and it still seems to be in stock in their online shop for the normal price.

quote:

Post #: 17228
RE: Doctor Who - 4/4/2013 11:16:43 AM   
elab49

They have a Tom Baker signed first 5 doctors set!

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17229
RE: Doctor Who - 4/4/2013 12:23:06 PM   
Rebenectomy

Stamps ordered. Would have been nice to have gotten them in time for half pints birthday, but this will be a nice surprise/bribery for good behaviour for next week.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17230
RE: Doctor Who - 4/4/2013 3:51:34 PM   
Musefan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I dunno - I think the scene at the end of The Girl Who Waited where the Doctor goes from pretty much killing someone, to sticking out his tongue at Amy, summed up Moffat's idea of him, and is something I could not see Tennant pulling off. The child-like side of 11 is just a shield, and it was never better seen than in that moment.

That was a strong moment - I agree. But that episode was a good example of this trend i mentioned of stretching character's believability during the modern era. Too much happened with too little repercussions. Already a few episodes previously we've got the huge emotional issue of Rory & Amy having lost their baby - now the Doctor & Rory allow Amy to be murdered (an older version of her, but her nonetheless). This would have been a character altering moment in the show during the RTD era of the show, but is never mentioned again, and is just part of a series of crazy things that happen to Amy Rory, with them returning to their same standard selves at the beginning of the next episode.

This is one of my biggest problems with Moffat's version of the show - whether going through a lost baby, a future death, a parallel universe existence, 1000 years as a roman, a divorce, or many other crazy experiences Rory & Amy never really felt emotionally effected. Whereas RTD had the Doctor bring Rose home for chips after her first space adventure.

quote:

And wasn't the reason for Tennant's non-Scottish accent supposed to be that post-regeneration, the Doctor 'copied' Rose's accent? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

I think I actually heard an interview with Tennant about this where he claimed that when trying out for the part RTD had been imaging the Doctor with a southern English accent, so that's what he went for - I think he said he liked the idea of the Doctor acquiring Rose's accent, but it was more of a post-episode rationalisation, than the actual reason for the choice.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 17231
RE: Doctor Who - 4/4/2013 4:29:56 PM   
Vadersville

I'm sure I read that in the original script for The Christmas Invasion that Ten explains his new accent is due to it being imprinted on him at regeneration by Rose, with a gag like Ten being like a chick hatching from an egg and thinking rose was his mother. Wasn't there also going to be a running gag throughout where he keeps trying to say 9's catchphrase(word) of Fantastic and only finally managed at the end?

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Musefan)
Post #: 17232
RE: Doctor Who - 5/4/2013 10:32:42 AM   
spark1

ice warriors feature in this month's DWM-

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/04/dwm-040413214508.html

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 17233
RE: Doctor Who - 5/4/2013 10:35:31 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

I'm sure I read that in the original script for The Christmas Invasion that Ten explains his new accent is due to it being imprinted on him at regeneration by Rose, with a gag like Ten being like a chick hatching from an egg and thinking rose was his mother. Wasn't there also going to be a running gag throughout where he keeps trying to say 9's catchphrase(word) of Fantastic and only finally managed at the end?

I think they said further up they moved away from that because it didn't fit the rest of the series

quote:

Post #: 17234
RE: Doctor Who - 5/4/2013 1:56:08 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

Stamps ordered. Would have been nice to have gotten them in time for half pints birthday, but this will be a nice surprise/bribery for good behaviour for next week.

You may be in luck - I placed an order when I checked yesterday and mine has just arrived. It seems they send them Parcelforce 24 - so the one thing they can deliver reliably is their own stuff!

quote:

Post #: 17235
RE: Doctor Who - 6/4/2013 12:40:22 PM   
spark1

bfi's 3rd dr panel-

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/04/bfi-third-doctor-panel-050413173917.html

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 17236
RE: Doctor Who - 6/4/2013 7:05:30 PM   
Vadersville

Just found this on a friend's timeline. Clicky. Interesting although i do think that another year would have definitely been too much for Tennant.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 17237
RE: Doctor Who - 6/4/2013 8:11:49 PM   
Base

Usually a stream of comments straight after an episode, guess it says a lot about this one that there's tumbleweed in here!!

An apt way to celebrate the 50th anniversary though, rubber masks and wobbly scenery!!!

On the other hand, someone needs to make a meme about it managing a better love story in 90 seconds than all of twilight!!!

Think another mention of his Grand daughter was the highlight of the episode, that has to be leading somewhere!!!! I'm beginning to wonder if Clara is Susan (we didn't see her Mum pregnant so could well be adopted)????

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

Post #: 17238
RE: Doctor Who - 6/4/2013 8:28:13 PM   
Harry Tuttle

The first half with Clara's backstory (creepy stalker Doctor aside) was great as was the maketplace scene. Everything that came afterwards was risible. The section where the Doctor started channelling Roy Batty was extremely bizarre, I was half expecting a mention of the Tannhäuser Gate during his speech.

Smith is carrying this half of the series so far much as he did with the last one.

Also, nice job destroying the Sun of the system and then just leaving.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 6/4/2013 8:39:36 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 17239
RE: Doctor Who - 6/4/2013 8:36:14 PM   
Base

True, I'd have preferred the whole episode exploring Clara's background. If they are her natural parents, then possibly the whole speech her Dad gave about so many tiny events occurring in order for them to meet could have more significance than just an elaborate come on...?

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 17240
RE: Doctor Who - 6/4/2013 8:41:19 PM   
matty_b

So, some stuff happened, there were a couple of incidents, Smith was great and then it ended. I didn't care about any of it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 17241
RE: Doctor Who - 6/4/2013 8:42:33 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I think the fact that the TARDIS wouldn't let her in will turn out to have some significance but it's really bugging me that the Doctor never even seems to bother closing the TARDIS's doors anymore. Also it rang a bit false that he'd keep disappearing out of sight of Clara on what was her first trip to an Alien planet and a busy, bustling one at that. I mean seriously, come on.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 17242
RE: Doctor Who - 6/4/2013 9:27:36 PM   
Mister Coe

Rather a dull episode IMO, it looked pretty nice (much of it was very reminicent on 'The End Of The World', one of my favourite DW episodes), but it's not one I'll rush back to for a second viewing like so many others in the past.

As for the loose ends that people are mentioning... in a perfect world, they would all be leading somewhere but I've got very little faith nowadays in the current showrunners... don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy the show but it seems like they come up with ideas and say 'that's really cool!' but then forget all about it in subsequent episodes... I mean, we've never found out how Amy had never heard of the Daleks when they destroyed half of London...

One more thing that I find slightly distracting... I'm really liking Jenna-Louise as the new companion, but her accent is all over the place! I know she's a Lancashire girl in real life, but sometimes she sounds like she's from the South, sometimes the North, sometimes bloody anywhere!

No matter. The Ice Warriors are back next week! I'm not old enough to see them the first time round, but what a brilliant monster design! I've been looking at Youtube clips and I'm thinking that they might be the best returning monster yet...

Say what now?

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 17243
RE: Doctor Who - 6/4/2013 10:14:26 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe
I mean, we've never found out how Amy had never heard of the Daleks when they destroyed half of London...

Cracks

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 17244
RE: Doctor Who - 6/4/2013 10:56:32 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

No matter. The Ice Warriors are back next week! I'm not old enough to see them the first time round, but what a brilliant monster design!

I don't think any of us are!

....Jonson doesn't watch DW, does he?

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 17245
RE: Doctor Who - 7/4/2013 9:21:08 AM   
Sledge Hammer

It was alright but it ended very quickly. I did like the singing and music throughout.

It seemed like that the fate of the God/ Planet were incidental - this was all about Claras story.

I liked some of the throwbacks and bigger ideas (like the doctor mentioning travelling with his grand daughter and the TARDIS not liking Clara). Average episode lifted by how good Smith and JLC continue to be.

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 17246
RE: Doctor Who - 7/4/2013 10:41:23 AM   
MovieAddict247

I enjoyed it, though I do wonder about the fate of the planet - as well as destroying their sun (and the huge ecological etc issues that would cause), they destroyed their entire belief system. But I liked the idea of a currency based on sentimental value.

Smith was fantastic - he really does succeed at the "Old Man/Young Body" thing, far more than Tennant or Ecclestone did.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 17247
RE: Doctor Who - 7/4/2013 11:36:19 AM   
spark1

'unearthly' reunion on radio 4-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rqgz3

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 17248
RE: Doctor Who - 7/4/2013 3:00:14 PM   
Sotto Voce

Bit of a nothing episode. Seemed to go by pretty quick without much happening. Pretty thin plot when you think about it.
As soon as I saw the market scenes I thought "Someone's been watching Hellboy 2".

With the mention of the Doc's granddaughter and the god-thing also referred to as 'grandfather', think there might be a theme there? Foreshadowing an appearance by Susan?

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 17249
RE: Doctor Who - 7/4/2013 4:03:25 PM   
Base

I think that would make a great anniversary story, bringing Susan back. Was it ever established that she was also a Time Lord? Would make re-casting a lot easier!!!

I'm still hoping for an 11 doctor story, even with re-casts or old footage, but looking increasingly unlikely. Maybe something like Hartnell's appearance in the Three Doctors, and have the classics as advisors rather than full roles, wouldn't be such a stretch to obscure faces then and make the aging less obvious.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 17250
Page:   <<   < prev  573 574 [575] 576 577   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  573 574 [575] 576 577   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI