Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Doctor Who

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  572 573 [574] 575 576   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Doctor Who - 1/4/2013 2:53:23 PM   
elab49

I think Rose and family started that rather than the Ponds - but they were, I think, one of the problems with the last series.

I think Sledge's point about the difficulty of putting one Dr in another's story is pretty interesting though.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 17191
RE: Doctor Who - 1/4/2013 3:11:08 PM   
matty_b

That's not the same as what I'm saying, though. My point is that I don't think Smith has been given a story of the quality, or one that will stretch him as an actor, as Human Nature/Family of Blood or Midnight - unless anyone disagrees that he has, and I'd be interested in hearing which ones.

And I should say that I'm a huge fan of Smith, and probably rate him higher than Tennant.

I think the closest he's been given in terms of quality would be The Doctor's Wife or The Girl Who Waited, but even those don't give him the range of stuff that Tennant was given.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17192
RE: Doctor Who - 1/4/2013 3:20:03 PM   
elab49

I'd have to think. There have been some moments I think - like the dicussion in Vampires of Venice with McCrory.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 17193
RE: Doctor Who - 1/4/2013 3:29:59 PM   
matty_b

But is that down to Smith's quality as an actor, or the material itself? I'd argue the former.

And that's my overall point, I don't think he's been given as great material as Tennant was which is a shame.

Although maybe the dual role in The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People comes close.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17194
RE: Doctor Who - 1/4/2013 4:57:24 PM   
musht

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I agree with what Matty is saying about Smith not getting good enough material.. I believe this feeds from Moffat's obsession with the companions, as the Ponds got all the emotional stuff in my opinion whereas the Doctor was just there to guide them through it a bit like a Gandalf figure. I don't think this was as much a problem with Rose, I haven't watched the Rose episode in ages and it was only the once but I don't remember her having such an integral connection to the over arcing story of the series. The fact that there were two Ponds competing with The Doctor also didn't help. Hopefully they won't introduce Oswyn's boyfriend or someone like that.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 17195
RE: Doctor Who - 1/4/2013 5:46:20 PM   
Captain Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I'm not suggesting that Smith is bored with the show, but I do think there's a natural shelflife for actors in the role before they take it as far as they can, and Smith is approaching his.

Do you mean specifically for this role or as a general rule for TV? I guess it's probably a cultural (or money) thing: actors seem a lot happier to stay on American shows (even if they're British actors ) for longer periods.

I liked the episode well enough whilst watching it, but after reading a few other comments I guess overall I found it to be fairly disposable.

quote:

It also doesn't help that he hasn't been given a truly great script yet to challenge him. Consider that Tennant had the Human Nature/Family of Blood double episode and Midnight to really attack - has Smith been given anything of a similar ilk? I would say not, which isn't helped by a showrunner seemingly more interested in a supporting character than the lead.

I hadn't thought of it that way ("more interested in the supporting character") but I do agree: indeed, the Ponds exit always had a distinct whiff of Moffatt's attention already moving on to something else, to me.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 17196
RE: Doctor Who - 1/4/2013 5:49:29 PM   
matty_b

To be honest, rather than the Ponds, I did mean River bleedin' Song.

quote:

Do you mean specifically for this role or as a general rule for TV?

I specifically meant the role of the Doctor. You could be right, maybe it is a cultural thing. Or maybe other shows can have their characters grow and develop a lot more, which you can't really do here.

quote:

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 17197
RE: Doctor Who - 1/4/2013 6:45:58 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

I'm not suggesting that Smith is bored with the show, but I do think there's a natural shelflife for actors in the role before they take it as far as they can, and Smith is approaching his.

I've always shared this opinion - it amazes me that fans still hope that someone will stick around as long as Tom Baker did.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 17198
RE: Doctor Who - 1/4/2013 7:57:06 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

That's not the same as what I'm saying, though. My point is that I don't think Smith has been given a story of the quality, or one that will stretch him as an actor, as Human Nature/Family of Blood or Midnight - unless anyone disagrees that he has, and I'd be interested in hearing which ones.

And I should say that I'm a huge fan of Smith, and probably rate him higher than Tennant.

I think the closest he's been given in terms of quality would be The Doctor's Wife or The Girl Who Waited, but even those don't give him the range of stuff that Tennant was given.

I'm slightly inclined to agree with you, though I rate Smith more than Tennant (who, despite having some fantastic scripts, had so much dross to read I couldn't help but feel sorry for him). Smith's finest acting moments, for me, have been his non-dialogue bits - his expressions are so much more expressive (duh), and what he shows in them is far more complex than his scripted lines show. Does that make sense?

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 17199
RE: Doctor Who - 1/4/2013 8:03:05 PM   
matty_b

Oh, totally.

There's two (maybe three) moments that I can think of that are great examples of that.

The Wedding of River Song when he makes the phone call to discover the Brigadier has passed away. Now considering that Smith has never shared a scene with Courtney, yet still has to convey that the Doctor has lost his best friend, he absolutely nails it in his body language.

Then there's The Girl Who Waited - there's a scene right at the end where old Amy is hammering on the doors to be let in, and it cuts to Smith looking unbelievably haunted by the decision he's had to make. And at the end, when 'our' Amy has woken up, and the Doctor pokes his tongue out at her to make her laugh is both brilliant and chilling, considering what he's just done.

quote:

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 17200
RE: Doctor Who - 1/4/2013 8:52:42 PM   
matty_b

Um, so a certain readthrough happened today and this happened -

MASSIVELY SPOILERY IF YOU'VE SOMEHOW AVOIDED THE NEWS THREE PAGES BACK.

SERIOUSLY

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGykc7DCcAAosDh.jpg:large

I'll admit - it made me grin.

< Message edited by matty_b -- 1/4/2013 8:56:54 PM >

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17201
RE: Doctor Who - 1/4/2013 9:10:46 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

SERIOUSLY

That excites me. Not in a Doctor Who fan way though.....

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 17202
RE: Doctor Who - 1/4/2013 9:32:11 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

SERIOUSLY

I can't look at that photo without thinking the guy on the left is singing "I'm gonna be the man who's coming hoooome... to you."

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 17203
RE: Doctor Who - 2/4/2013 7:00:37 AM   
Sledge Hammer

surpirsed it hasnt been mentioned about the book that JLC was reading was written by Amelia Williams (isnt that Pond?)

Didnt she say something that the 11th chapter always makes her cry - Matt being the 11th Chapter of the Dr Who story?

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 17204
RE: Doctor Who - 2/4/2013 9:13:14 AM   
matty_b

Yeah, I need to watch the episode again to pick up on these things.

quote:

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 17205
RE: Doctor Who - 2/4/2013 10:13:28 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer

surpirsed it hasnt been mentioned about the book that JLC was reading was written by Amelia Williams (isnt that Pond?)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Things I have been made aware of online #23 - the author of the book the boy is reading and the perception of the hub comes from

Inivisibility cloak off?

Last page - post was even responded to.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 2/4/2013 10:14:42 AM >

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17206
RE: Doctor Who - 2/4/2013 4:21:39 PM   
Rgirvan44

In a move which will bug the hell out of Elab the BBC have printed a pic of the baddie that will appear in the 50th.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17207
RE: Doctor Who - 2/4/2013 4:28:30 PM   
matty_b

SPOILERISH DISCUSSION FOLLOWS

Interesting, if not unexpected. If anything, I thought we would have seen them back before by now.

And Tennant must be doing a little dance of joy - didn't he say they were his favourite monster? Maybe that was instrumental in getting him back.

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 17208
RE: Doctor Who a bit of fun - 2/4/2013 6:19:43 PM   
The Waco Kid

for anyone creative i thought you all might like this

http://www.deviantart.com/morelikethis/192910997?offset=72

not sure if this breaks Empire Guidelines if so please pull it down otherwise have some fun with a printer and some cardboard and glue.

i'm sorry i missed that, my racoon had hepatitis.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 17209
RE: Doctor Who - 2/4/2013 9:15:32 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

In a move which will bug the hell out of Elab the BBC have printed a pic of the baddie that will appear in the 50th.

It did. Seriously bloody hypocritical every time they open their mouths about spoilers. One damn surprise would be a feckin' miracle these days.

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 17210
RE: Doctor Who - 2/4/2013 9:32:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

They were shooting it outdoors so suspect didn't have much of a choice.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17211
RE: Doctor Who - 2/4/2013 10:35:37 PM   
Vadersville

Quite surprised to see comments on here saying they feel Smith is tired with the role. I definitely got that with Tennant during the specials, (his time in the role should have ended with Journey's End) but for me Smith's performance has been the one consistent thing during the last series and a half of increasingly disappointing Who.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 17212
RE: Doctor Who - 3/4/2013 10:24:15 PM   
Joedini

Finally finished Being Human, really gonna miss that show. But my plea for Damien Maloney to be the 12th Doctor starts now. I truly think he would be fantastic!

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 17213
RE: Doctor Who - 3/4/2013 10:58:39 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joedini

Finally finished Being Human, really gonna miss that show. But my plea for Damien Maloney to be the 12th Doctor starts now. I truly think he would be fantastic!

Now you say it, that would actually be pretty great. Although I think I'd like someone older next, Bill Nighy would be great although he'd probably just have an 'older-Matt-Smith' take.

Question: If Maloney were to get it would he have to do an English accent? Is a non-English Doctor a black Bond issue or would people care? Am I wrong presume we didn't have a Scottish Doctor for a reason

Actually I haven't watched any old Who so I'm just assuming they were all English or used English accents

< Message edited by musht -- 3/4/2013 11:05:27 PM >

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 17214
RE: Doctor Who - 3/4/2013 11:17:01 PM   
Joedini

Sylvester Mccoy kept his accent as Doctor 7 so I don't think it would be an issue. Not sure the reasoning behind Tennant changing his

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 17215
RE: Doctor Who - 3/4/2013 11:21:06 PM   
musht

quote:

Sylvester Mccoy kept his accent as Doctor 7 so I don't think it would be an issue. Not sure the reasoning behind Tennant changing his

Well now I just feel silly

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 17216
RE: Doctor Who - 3/4/2013 11:41:28 PM   
Joedini

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

Well now I just feel silly

No need to feel silly, just get some old school Who in your life

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 17217
RE: Doctor Who - 4/4/2013 9:36:35 AM   
Musefan

quote:

I think Smith is approaching the point that Tennant did with his years of special - the hectic schedule is starting to take its toll on him. When I last rewatched the RTD era, it was pretty clear that the natural ending point for Tennant was with Journey's End - everything in the specials afterwards was, as a friend bluntly put it, Tennant working his notice.

I dunno. I guess Tennant did seem a bit tired in the specials, but for me it worked because the idea for the specials was that the Doctor had been travelling alone for quite some time and was facing his death, etc...

I guess part of the problem for Smith is that his Doctor is a lot less clear a character than Tennant's was. With Tennant's Doctor you basically knew what he'd gone through (we got the impression that the bits of his life we saw in the series were pretty much the most important parts of his life), and that time for him passed in approximately the same fashion as it did for us (by that I mean he basically aged 4 years in the 4 series we had of him).

Smith's Doctor is all over the place. Firstly he's aged around 200 years in 3 years for us - something that I've found has really thrown me off the character since the end of Season 6 (it just seems really odd to me that we've seen so little of his recent life now - even the 10 or so years he spent with the Ponds is an incredibly small part of his life). But more than that I just feel that as lazy and shoddy as some of the writing was in RTD era, the one thing he always had a very strong grasp on was the characterization of The Doctor. Tennant's character always felt very consistent to me. With Smith I never really know what I'm gonna get. Eccentricity's one thing, but too often to me is just feels like a new quirk, a new piece of costume each week, without it quite adding up to a full character.

All personal opinion at the end of the day, but one of the things i always liked the most about RTD's vision of the show was that it kinda felt like a social-realist drama that happened to be feature a magic man in a blue box. The characters always felt grounded in reality. Moffat's vision often feels alot more like a comic book to me - more action, faster pacing and lots of cool moments, but lacking that believable human core that made us care about it all. But again, just personal opinion at the end of day.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 17218
RE: Doctor Who - 4/4/2013 9:42:11 AM   
Rgirvan44

I dunno - I think the scene at the end of The Girl Who Waited where the Doctor goes from pretty much killing someone, to sticking out his tongue at Amy, summed up Moffat's idea of him, and is something I could not see Tennant pulling off. The child-like side of 11 is just a shield, and it was never better seen than in that moment.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 4/4/2013 10:31:26 AM >

(in reply to Musefan)
Post #: 17219
RE: Doctor Who - 4/4/2013 10:06:05 AM   
matty_b

Yeah, one of Smith's best and defining moments.

And wasn't the reason for Tennant's non-Scottish accent supposed to be that post-regeneration, the Doctor 'copied' Rose's accent? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

I think it was dropped fairly early on, which is good because it was a stupid idea - it's not as if Colin Baker had an American accent, is it?

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 17220
Page:   <<   < prev  572 573 [574] 575 576   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  572 573 [574] 575 576   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI