Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Doctor Who

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  571 572 [573] 574 575   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Doctor Who - 30/3/2013 7:30:13 PM   
Rgirvan44

I remember RTD saying that the series openers were always the hardest because you had to do so many things to ensure that the pieces were on the table for subsequent episdes. St. Johns is an example of why I loved that the Ponds stayed for as a long as they did - the team just jumped into adventures by the end, barely questioning how absurd things might be.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 17161
RE: Doctor Who - 30/3/2013 7:36:14 PM   
Base

Liked the wi-fi idea, but a lot more could have been made of it. Good touch linking it to the Snowmen, guessing the Intelligence is going to be back this season. That was quite chilling when she reset herself.

If Unit is going to be in it, I want to see the Brig's daughter back!!!!!

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 17162
RE: Doctor Who - 30/3/2013 7:37:51 PM   
Sledge Hammer

I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Jenna Louise Coleman is beyond cute and by far the prettiest of the new companions.

As for the story, it was great in parts (like the random people talking to him) but also had its plothole moments too (how did they download Clara back when the base unit was at the shard?)

The other thing I noticed was that the relationship between Clara and the Doc is much more sexual (if a little schoolboy romance) but still a departure away from the Ponds and Rose.

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 17163
RE: Doctor Who - 30/3/2013 7:44:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

I dunno - Amy seemed much more interested in a sexual relationship with the Doctor than Clara has...

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 17164
RE: Doctor Who - 30/3/2013 7:47:00 PM   
elab49

It was enjoyable enough but I thought it was a bit flat. The whole monk bit didn't work for me and what was the pt of warning them about the Dr and then - well., nada, really. It didn't help that some of the support acting was seriously ropey.

And Clara. She's just a bit too full on - like they tried to create the perfect Mary Sue companion rather than a person who becomes a companion. It's well played so I think the writing is off tbh. I did like the link to her ability to play with computers but it came a bit too easily. Some nice one line ideas (mobile phone) but felt like obvious one-line inserts rather than part of the whole.

INteresting idea Matty - I hadn't thought of that.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 17165
RE: Doctor Who - 30/3/2013 7:50:01 PM   
Rebenectomy

Yeah I thought the relationship was being presented more as one of mutual intrigue, the Doctor certainly seems interested in her for the mental challenge she presents, the enigma. As a result he's protective of her and excited by her as someone would be a new book or game. I'm not saying that sexual relationships can't stem from that initial feeling, but there's also no reason why a purely intellectual friendship can't either.

Re: girv/shifty btw

< Message edited by Rebenectomy -- 30/3/2013 7:53:25 PM >

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 17166
RE: Doctor Who - 30/3/2013 8:44:19 PM   
The Waco Kid

did anyone see James Corden trapped in the wi-fi or was it just me?

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 17167
RE: Doctor Who - 30/3/2013 9:09:45 PM   
Vadersville

First episode of Doctor Who I've enjoyed in ages. Wasn't perfect but as series openers go, it was a good one. Except, its isn't really a series opener is it. (Sorry, I'm still pissed that we got shafted with one series over two years!)

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to The Waco Kid)
Post #: 17168
RE: Doctor Who - 30/3/2013 10:11:25 PM   
giggity

A little detail about Clara,

In the Christmas special, Clara's birthday on her tombstone was listed as the 23rd November. Doctor Who was first transmitted on the 23rd November 1963. The 50th anniversary special is said to be broadcast in November. The 23rd of November this year, just so happens to fall on a Saturday.

Somethings brewing already...

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 17169
RE: Doctor Who - 30/3/2013 10:58:41 PM   
Mister Coe

It's a usual opening episode for me... looked forward to it for ages, found it slightly disappointing but will probably like it better on a second viewing...

My favourite bit was a casual throwaway line, 'Earls Court was an embarassment...' When I go to London, I usually stay in Earls Court. When you come out of Earls Court tube station, the first thing you will see is a big blue police box just like the TARDIS... the only one still standing in London, apparently...

As for the thing about Tennant and Piper coming back for the 50th special... am I the only person giving a great big 'meh?'

Say what now?

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 17170
RE: Doctor Who - 30/3/2013 11:12:57 PM   
Mute

That was alright. It could have done a lot more with the wifi idea and I'm not entirely sure what the point of the bit with the monks was, but it was a good introduction to this version of Clara, who I can tell I'm going to like as a companion, and Celia Imrie made a good villain. And nice to see the Great Intelligence back, though it would have been better (if probably more expensive) with Ian McKellen. I'm guessing we'll see it again, probably in the finale.

PSN: blackout505

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 17171
RE: Doctor Who - 30/3/2013 11:16:16 PM   
Base

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

As for the thing about Tennant and Piper coming back for the 50th special... am I the only person giving a great big 'meh?'

I thought we weren't allowed to mention that

In itself it's a bit meh, I'm hoping it means others are returning too though...!

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 17172
RE: Doctor Who - 30/3/2013 11:39:57 PM   
elab49

Why, when the post before yours specifically assumed the presumption was the opposite?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 17173
RE: Doctor Who - 31/3/2013 7:10:47 AM   
chilipenguin

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. It's going to take a couple of episodes to bed down with the new companion, however, Smith was on top form as always though and it's amazing how many mediocre episodes are rescued by his energy in the role. It's going to be tough for whoever comes along to play 12.

Oh, and did anyone catch the four knocks? Hmmm.

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 17174
RE: Doctor Who - 31/3/2013 7:11:52 AM   
chilipenguin

Also, no one seems to have mentioned the theme tune. I can't remember if its the same as the Christmas special, but I think the new version is outstanding. Great mix of the old and new.

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 17175
RE: Doctor Who - 31/3/2013 10:20:34 AM   
giggity

its the same as the christmas special but yeah i agree, I really like it in the middle when it kicks the into old skool 'bom-bom-bom-boom'.

(in reply to Dozy McGrew)
Post #: 17176
RE: Doctor Who - 31/3/2013 11:36:50 AM   
giggity

Adding to what I posted earlier in the thread about Clara and the 50th Anniversary

quote:

In the Christmas special, Clara's birthday on her tombstone was listed as the 23rd November. Doctor Who was first transmitted on the 23rd November 1963. The 50th anniversary special is said to be broadcast in November. The 23rd of November this year, just so happens to fall on a Saturday.

Re-watching last nights episode again, when the Doctor looks through Clara's 101 places book, it says belongs to clara oswald age 9 which is then crossed out, then says 10 which is crossed out, this goes all the way down to age 24. However, 23 is not there.

Very interesting.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 17177
RE: Doctor Who - 31/3/2013 11:55:14 AM   
elab49

Things I have been made aware of online #23 - the author of the book the boy is reading and the perception of the hub comes from

quote:

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 17178
RE: Doctor Who - 31/3/2013 12:01:52 PM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity

Adding to what I posted earlier in the thread about Clara and the 50th Anniversary

quote:

Re-watching last nights episode again, when the Doctor looks through Clara's 101 places book, it says belongs to clara oswald age 9 which is then crossed out, then says 10 which is crossed out, this goes all the way down to age 24. However, 23 is not there.

Very interesting.

I noticed that too, plays into an existing number 23 obsession we have going in our house thanks to the works of Robert Anton Wilson.

For the record I really liked lasts night's episode. The plot was bobbins, but some lovely one liners, good performances and plenty of spooks and action for the kids. Wee man guessed it was REG making a comeback sooo early on though (he didn't see it til this morning), he kind of freaked me out.

< Message edited by Rebenectomy -- 31/3/2013 12:03:52 PM >

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 17179
RE: Doctor Who - 31/3/2013 12:09:31 PM   
Base

There were a few ages missing, I noticed 16, I just thought it meant she didn't see anything from the book that year.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 17180
RE: Doctor Who - 31/3/2013 7:10:13 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Things I have been made aware of online #23 - the author of the book the boy is reading and the perception of the hub comes from

Yeah I noticed that straight away, as did my daughter (when I rewinded to make sure I'd read it correctly) which surprised me quite a bit. Nice touch although I wonder if it will have any meaning beyond paying some lip service to an established character.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 31/3/2013 7:13:15 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17181
RE: Doctor Who - 31/3/2013 7:17:25 PM   
elab49

Just realised who the Neil Cross is they've brought in. I think Luther is fairly shallow and any way it works is almost entirely on performance ( and his reworking of Whistle! didn't work and Mama isn't brilliantly reviewed), so I'm a little worried about what's to come. Fingers crossed I guess.

quote:

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 17182
RE: Doctor Who - 31/3/2013 8:25:40 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Just realised who the Neil Cross is they've brought in.

Eh? How many Neil Crosses are there?

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17183
RE: Doctor Who - 31/3/2013 8:30:30 PM   
elab49

I'd no idea he was anyone - I read an article that referred to him as wonderful (I think - something like that) and I couldn't place the name.

quote:

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 17184
RE: Doctor Who - 31/3/2013 8:59:30 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Ah. In all honesty, as much as I enjoyed The World Wide Web of Fear last night the next bit of Dr Who I'm really looking forward to is Neil Gaiman's. The rest I'll take as I find.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17185
RE: Doctor Who - 31/3/2013 9:09:56 PM   
elab49

Pretty much ditto for me. Even if Gaiman's chosen a subject I've not been fond of in any of the Nu WHo episodes I still can't wait

Two Gatiss wasn't very good news either - he's still not hit the nail in his Dr Who writing.

quote:

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 17186
RE: Doctor Who - 1/4/2013 3:32:54 AM   
Musefan

I guess I'll be in the minority opinion here, but I'm really feeling that Smith's performance is getting worse & worse in the show. I find him to be a very likable person on screen, and am sure if he was portraying a companion character I would think him great, but to me he's just lacking that authority for the Doctor that Tennant & Eccleston had. They had the comic silly side too (Tennant very much so), but when they switched to serious I really felt it, whereas I just don't buy it with Smith anymore. When I think back to an episode like 'Midnight', which is all about Tennant's performance.. well i just can't see it really working with Smith.

For the most part I thought he was great in Series 5, and Series 6 he had some great moments too, but in this last Series he's just felt flat alot of the time to me. Of course, alot of the blame lies in the writing which I think has gone very much downhill aswell, but when I think back to something like Series 4 of the Tennant years I remember that Tennant & Tate's performance kept me watching even during the rather poor episodes in the run - I just enjoyed tuning in to watch them each week. Whereas I'm feeling very much with the Smith era now that I only really tune in for the good writing - something that even Moffat can't be counted on for anymore....

...I did like the bit with the plane though.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17187
RE: Doctor Who - 1/4/2013 9:59:08 AM   
matty_b

I think Smith is approaching the point that Tennant did with his years of special - the hectic schedule is starting to take its toll on him. When I last rewatched the RTD era, it was pretty clear that the natural ending point for Tennant was with Journey's End - everything in the specials afterwards was, as a friend bluntly put it, Tennant working his notice.

I'm not suggesting that Smith is bored with the show, but I do think there's a natural shelflife for actors in the role before they take it as far as they can, and Smith is approaching his.

It also doesn't help that he hasn't been given a truly great script yet to challenge him. Consider that Tennant had the Human Nature/Family of Blood double episode and Midnight to really attack - has Smith been given anything of a similar ilk? I would say not, which isn't helped by a showrunner seemingly more interested in a supporting character than the lead.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Musefan)
Post #: 17188
RE: Doctor Who - 1/4/2013 12:41:14 PM   
Sledge Hammer

disagree with both of the above points.

Firstly, trying to compare the Docs is pointless. Its like comparing Roger Moore with Daniel Craig - different characters with the same name almost. And that applies to the scripts as well. As far as I am concerned, the stories are written to try and fit with Matt as an actor. If David/ Matt were to appear in each others episodes, they wouldnt work (although I would have liked to have seen Matt in Midnight just to prove he is the better actor!).

Matt is doing just fine and I don't get a sense of boredom that I got towards the end of Tennants reign. If anything, I thnk he is only now hitting his stride. The introduction of JLC (Jenna Louise not Justin Lee) has refreshed the doc and made him watcheable again. I for one couldnt stand to see him mourn over the Ponds in the same way DT mourned over Rose. The way that the Ponds were written out makes it okay for the doctor to move on - they are happy together in their own world.

I have high hopes for the new partnership and last weeks episode is only touching the surface of how good the show is likely to become with the new companion.

And finally - I really enjoyed the beginning of the episode with the monks and for that matter the clever title of the show.

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 17189
RE: Doctor Who - 1/4/2013 12:57:46 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I think Smith is approaching the point that Tennant did with his years of special - the hectic schedule is starting to take its toll on him. When I last rewatched the RTD era, it was pretty clear that the natural ending point for Tennant was with Journey's End - everything in the specials afterwards was, as a friend bluntly put it, Tennant working his notice.

I'm not suggesting that Smith is bored with the show, but I do think there's a natural shelflife for actors in the role before they take it as far as they can, and Smith is approaching his.

It also doesn't help that he hasn't been given a truly great script yet to challenge him. Consider that Tennant had the Human Nature/Family of Blood double episode and Midnight to really attack - has Smith been given anything of a similar ilk? I would say not, which isn't helped by a showrunner seemingly more interested in a supporting character than the lead.

This is something that's really annoyed me with Moffat's reign; he's far too focused on the companions. It's only since they've gone that I've realised how much the Ponds overstayed their welcome, don't miss them at all and am not overly excited about their inevitable return for the 50th birthday bash.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 17190
Page:   <<   < prev  571 572 [573] 574 575   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  571 572 [573] 574 575   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI