Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Doctor Who

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  559 560 [561] 562 563   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Doctor Who - 4/10/2012 2:15:21 PM   
The Hooded Man

The five part series was hugely underwhelming and felt very much aimed at American audiences who aren't already familiar with the character.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 16801
RE: Doctor Who - 4/10/2012 4:33:59 PM   
elab49

Currently rewatching the five to give them another chance - that opening story telling voiceover thing is becoming a real cliche in Nu Who.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 16802
RE: Doctor Who - 4/10/2012 9:57:43 PM   
Private Hudson

Will we see Amy Pond in 2013 for the show's 50th anniversary?

I think we will. They have to give Amy a better send off than that.

Also any bets that David Tennant will return in a special, along with the other surviving Doctors? Tom, Colin, Peter, Sylvester, Paul and Christopher?

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16803
RE: Doctor Who - 4/10/2012 10:00:46 PM   
Rgirvan44

Tennant will, cause he has a genuine love for it all.

The rest, not so sure about.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 16804
RE: Doctor Who - 5/10/2012 9:47:50 AM   
jobloffski

Personal geek-re-write of the plot for TATM...

The Angels Take Everything...

Rory gets out of bed one morning, yawning, he's 'in his pants' again...goes to pick up the mail, there's a shape behind the door, he opens the door, mystified, it;s an angel, Rory double takes (comic effect) zap!!! he's gone. Music over upset looking Amy being led by Doctor to a gravestone, Rory's name, Amy mystified, tears, not a word spoken. opening titles.. (set up the key emotional dilemma at once, THEN you start giving context).

Amy in Tardis, distraught, what's happening Doctor (this can be the one time the bravado can slip, now, this once, she finally needs the Doctor to be the hero)...I don;t know...

River investigating time...give her more viciousness, she's trying to find her father...She pieces the puzzle together and the is NO REASON WHATSOEVER THIS STORY HAS TO HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH NEW YORK, WHICH JUST ADDS TO THE SCREENTIME LOCATION SHOTS THAT TAKE AWAY FROM TELLING THE STORY WHEN THERE'S ONLY 45 MINS TO WORK WITH.

Alternate between Tardis (Doctor and Amy) so you have scenes showing what they mean to each other and River getting closer to the truth (don't go for noir stylings, just have her following clues, detective tropes automatically covered). The two paerts of the structure strung onto a series of scenes of Rory, still in his pants (for comic effect) with a more recent date on the screen each time, he is older each time, familiarity with the pants makes it no longer so funny and increasingly horrible that he is so undignified, and getting closer to the date on his gravestone.

River finds equipment that can detect DNA through time and space (or adapts time travel wristband to do this when she finds out how). Overjoyed to have found her father she tells the others, they all head for the location, the three seperate story strands converge. We know they are gonna be shocked, we're prepared, they arrive, together, they all see him at the same time. Rory dies before the word Amy has left his lips.

Emotional crisis, solution found, up the stakes, the reason the Angels are targeting Rory is his long lifespan makes him tasty, so the reason they're after him is he waited for Amy, and that flows naturally/adds to the flow of we're together because you waited for me, don't you dare think I'll let you leave me now, . The can live happily ever after (before?), they just have to die to do it. They all come to terms with it, then Rory and Amy jump. We know they wont die, but its still emotional, dignified. Crossfade to Young Amelia smiling at the sound of the tardis arriving. To keep in with referencing earlier eps, the final decision at the end Would be Amy's choice, she has previously shown she would rather be dead than live in a world without Rory, and she would be being true to established traits if she were make the same choice again, now its not in a dream (although technically dying and still living out their lives is a bit of a have your cake and eat it situation (an alternative could have been Rory making the sacrifice and Amy having to leave the Doctor because. 'The Angels have taken everything from me, I can't look at you any more and not know that...with the living happily ever after (before?) option, the Angels took everything from The doctor, with perhaps a River kiss off line 'Not quite everything' or whatever).

All the exposiiton sorted before the leap, the story strands all leading to that point. Nobody wants it to end, but it has to.

No New York Gimmick, no book motif, no noir stylings, no muffing the dramatic flow by building to more than one emotional climax because the guy with all the ideas apparently can't be script edited by anyone, cos he;s the boss (same issue as RTD days, on that score, and every writer has ideas sometimes that aren't up to par or too masny things going on in a story to its detriment, and should have the sense to know that, not least because it always seems to be the case with OTHER writers!) No self conscious reference to not liking endings, have the realisation for the characters that it is an ending when it is upon them (after all the previous episode ended with the 'let's keep travelling' thing so an ending, as a sucker punch to all main characters who had no idea it was coming, even if the audience do, with us waiting for how it hurts them when it comes, much more effective dramatically.

Or whatever, just had the about thought pop into my head, and jotted it here.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 5/10/2012 1:05:37 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16805
RE: Doctor Who - 5/10/2012 10:16:52 AM   
demoncleaner

I could see the Ponds coming back for a post card cameo, but as far as giving them a proper send-off I think that ship has sailed.  Disappointing; as much I love them we should have saw them dead.  It's the Game of Thrones ethic, if you don't see or read someone actually dead then don't believe they are.

When I think about the 50th anniversary I can't envisage it being all that special, the Mark Gatiss drama thing will be interesting but I can't see the show itself doing anything particularly special.  But I'm not that bothered by that, I'd rather it just maintain the present quality (which I alone seem to believe it's at at the moment)..  In terms of returning Doctors I think everyone who's still alive (apart from Ecclestone) would be more than up for it, but there's an aesthetic issue there and I agree only Tennant (and maybe Paul McGann) would work well in it.  As much as I loved Tennant (at the time) if he did return for a special I'd love to see him given very, very short shrift.  Stealing scenes from Matt would be a criminal enterprise in my book.  He could turn up for 2 minutes, be told by Rory "shut up Ten" and be locked in a cupboard along with Hitler for the rest of the episode. I'm a cruel unapologetic 11th Doctor fanboy so I'd like that.

They should have done a movie for the 50th, with the 8th, 10th and 11th Doctor, with a cgi villain voiced by Tom Baker.  That Harry Potter prick would even have been welcome to do it if he just had the basic nous to acknowledge Moffat and the current show as it's foundation. 

I'm getting seriously unhyped about the 50th.  I think it'll go with a modest whimper, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.  At the end of the day it'll only be expectation that'll make it crap.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16806
RE: Doctor Who - 8/10/2012 1:34:07 AM   
Spider

Can anyone provide a quick explanation as to the "50th" thing for an interested, but not devoted, fan. I feel like I'm really, really, missing something. So much seems to be being built up for the 50th. Has there been any official confirmation that "something" will happen? And why should it? Is it just because Gallifrey Base weirdos are so sanctimonious about the show that the collected power of people saying it over and over again has created this idea that "something" has to happen?

When Bond celebrates an anniversary it equates to a few promotional pieces related to the fact in the papers and business as normal. 50 years is a long time but why are people so obsessed with marking milestones within the continuity of the show?

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 16807
RE: Doctor Who - 8/10/2012 1:52:22 AM   
Shifty Bench

It is the longest running science fiction series on television, I'd say it's a big deal. It made the BBC a lot of money, especially over the past 7 years so they want to celebrate one of their longest running, and most financially successful shows that is popular all over the world. Why shouldn't they?

Plus, where have you been regarding Bond? There is a TV station on Sky launched that only plays Bond films for the 50th. The BBC had a concert of Bond music and Absolute 00s changed its name to Absolute 007 and played Bond themes all day. And of course all the films were released on Blu Ray......

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 16808
RE: Doctor Who - 8/10/2012 1:58:00 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

Can anyone provide a quick explanation as to the "50th" thing for an interested, but not devoted, fan. I feel like I'm really, really, missing something. So much seems to be being built up for the 50th. Has there been any official confirmation that "something" will happen? And why should it? Is it just because Gallifrey Base weirdos are so sanctimonious about the show that the collected power of people saying it over and over again has created this idea that "something" has to happen?

The original run of the series used to celebrate the big milestones with special episodes, hence the discussion - it would be genuinely very strange if the BBC didn't mark it in some big manner (bar the origins of Dr Who drama Mark Gatiss is writing for BBC4). Smith briefly alludes to the team's plans here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/09/20/doctor-who-steven-moffat-matt-smith_n_1899478.html

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 16809
RE: Doctor Who - 8/10/2012 10:14:04 AM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

I could see the Ponds coming back for a post card cameo, but as far as giving them a proper send-off I think that ship has sailed.  Disappointing; as much I love them we should have saw them dead.  It's the Game of Thrones ethic, if you don't see or read someone actually dead then don't believe they are.

When I think about the 50th anniversary I can't envisage it being all that special, the Mark Gatiss drama thing will be interesting but I can't see the show itself doing anything particularly special.  But I'm not that bothered by that, I'd rather it just maintain the present quality (which I alone seem to believe it's at at the moment)..  In terms of returning Doctors I think everyone who's still alive (apart from Ecclestone) would be more than up for it, but there's an aesthetic issue there and I agree only Tennant (and maybe Paul McGann) would work well in it.  As much as I loved Tennant (at the time) if he did return for a special I'd love to see him given very, very short shrift.  Stealing scenes from Matt would be a criminal enterprise in my book.  He could turn up for 2 minutes, be told by Rory "shut up Ten" and be locked in a cupboard along with Hitler for the rest of the episode. I'm a cruel unapologetic 11th Doctor fanboy so I'd like that.

They should have done a movie for the 50th, with the 8th, 10th and 11th Doctor, with a cgi villain voiced by Tom Baker.  That Harry Potter prick would even have been welcome to do it if he just had the basic nous to acknowledge Moffat and the current show as it's foundation. 

I'm getting seriously unhyped about the 50th.  I think it'll go with a modest whimper, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.  At the end of the day it'll only be expectation that'll make it crap.

It would be very easy to use all living Doctor actors, and also use the versions for whom the actors are not available:

Where there are infinite possibilities, and where there is a sci fi show that has, more than once, acknowledged parallel dimensions, each of the 'living' Doctors can be the age they currently are, in a dimension where the event that caused their regeneration did not happen, So Davison, McCoy, Baker, McGann can have had a similar life to the Doctor on 'our' dimension, larglely the same adventures and companions, only without the regenerations. The others, fpr plot purposescan be shoewn 'from behind' in death scenes.

Someone is crossing time, and dimensions, to kill all possible variations of The Doctor. Story can begin with an old white haired man man walking on a foggy night to wards a junkyard. Killed from behind. Regenerates into a dark haired man with a Bowl cut whose face is not seen, who gets up and tries to run. Is killed again. regenerates into a curly white haired man, whose face is not seen, who manages to evade an attempt to kill him. The killer(s) are not properly shown. A communication is made to a 'boss' character, his crackly (over the com) says 'Find The Doctor. Kill him/ Kill them AAAALLLLL!!! (the last word blending with a 50th anniversary special 'scream' note like that of old that leads into the theme tune.

The Doctors from different dimensions, at the age they are now have to combine their similarities and differences to defeat the enemy, Ecclestone's doctor gets the 'killed from behind' treatment, and Maybe during the story Tennants Doctor is killed and regenrates into the twitchy, newly regenerated Matt Smith version, interacting now with the more settled one.

In the final shakedown, anything can happen in the story without affecting continuity, because the other Doctors being parallel, means their timelines are their own, and assuming Matt Smith's Doctor survives, the adventure happens to him in his own timeline, which would not be altered by events. All Doctor Actors get a new challenge, to be from their point of view the Doctor still living, and not brought face to face with the others from their own time line. But still in their trademark costume, save for a gag regarding Baker's costume, that it makes the others feel sick, so he changes it.

The 50th anniversary should be unforgettable, with leeway for humour, but also for darkness. And a plot about 'kill the doctor, kill them all' at least makes for a genuine, plot driven reason, for them to be interacting, and not just a spurious timey wimey malarkey. And the search for who is behind the plot can motivate a bunch of villain cameos, while keeping the plot focus and screen time for interaction between the versions of the title character

So, killing Doctors from behind, they regenerate into their next incarnation, they are aware of something of this nature going on, they seek out other versions of themselves, the living (and available) actors end up being the only versions of the Doctor that are left, so they have to sort it out. Dark drama and gags possible, such as McGann's Doctor being killed and regenerating into an 'ecclestone-alike' before being attacked again before his face is seen, giving us two tennants, One tennant killed gives us two smiths, so the element of farce inherent in the show and occasional viciousness can be similtaneously expressed in the same events.

Not exactly detailed, but that's off the top of my head,

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 8/10/2012 10:33:47 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 16810
RE: Doctor Who - 8/10/2012 6:33:02 PM   
Hood_Man

I imagine this has probably already been posted...

Doctor Who: Buffy Style

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 16811
RE: Doctor Who - 8/10/2012 10:07:33 PM   
Spider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

It is the longest running science fiction series on television, I'd say it's a big deal. It made the BBC a lot of money, especially over the past 7 years so they want to celebrate one of their longest running, and most financially successful shows that is popular all over the world. Why shouldn't they?

Plus, where have you been regarding Bond? There is a TV station on Sky launched that only plays Bond films for the 50th. The BBC had a concert of Bond music and Absolute 00s changed its name to Absolute 007 and played Bond themes all day. And of course all the films were released on Blu Ray......

This is exactly my point, which I either didn't explain very well or you completely missed. I totally understand why there will be a lot of fanfare about the 50th, and some programming to mark the occasion. But what everyone's talking about here is a celebration within the continuity of the show - completely different to the Bond fanfare. I don't see people calling for a multi-Bond reunion, or some kind of acknowledgement of the anniversary within the story of the films - all that happens around them.

I just don't really understand why there's this assumption that 50 years means some major event within the context of the story.

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

Post #: 16812
RE: Doctor Who - 8/10/2012 10:36:28 PM   
jobloffski

The assumption is based on the fact that time milestones in the history of the show have previously been marked by 'event' stories. Multi-Doctor stories fit that bill, and so with half a century being the upcoming milestone, the idea of a multi-Doctor story is something that occurs as a potential event story. Canny readers of my 'humbly expressed' suggestion above will have noted that I suggested events depicting the opening of the entire shebang being interrupted by new baddies.

To clarify, the white haired old man is heading for a junkyard with the name 'Foreman' on it, and the '3rd' Doctor evades capture by ducking into that junkyard. First episode ever material being messed with by the above, with it ultimately transpiring that the suggested events affect new continuity (because of the experience of the current doctor in such a story) without affecting the totality of continuity of the show (because of parallel timelines nature of events).

Referring back to the very first episode in a story marking a 50 year anniversary seems to me to both honour the show and be a little daring.

To be frank, how often does any 'returning drama' get a 50yr anniversary? Assuming such a landmark in time will be responded to with a landmark in the events of the show is not only fair enough, to expect otherwise seems insane (sorry).

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 8/10/2012 10:41:11 PM >

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 16813
RE: Doctor Who - 8/10/2012 10:39:29 PM   
Shifty Bench

^ this.

Doctor Who opens itself up to the possibility of reunion shows. Bond doesn't involve time travel therefore you can't do those type of stories. And 'multiple Doctor' stories aren't new.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 8/10/2012 10:41:43 PM >

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 16814
RE: Doctor Who - 8/10/2012 10:53:11 PM   
jobloffski

There is only one possibility for a multi-bond story, and that is if it becomes canon that James Bond 007 is a designation, not an individual (which then makes the different eras with the same character logical). Then any surviving Bond actor can feature in a tale that for example could just have the same basis as what I've suggested for who: someone is taking out 00 agents, including 007s and so for protection/security purposes the agents are taken somewhere (ostensibly) safe and finally meet. But unless that was taken very, very seriously, it's the province of fan fiction.

As said above, time travel = the possibility of different incarnations meeting (as has happened numerous times in the show already, though in more hokey fashion than I have aimed my thoughts towards).

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 8/10/2012 10:55:25 PM >

Post #: 16815
RE: Doctor Who - 8/10/2012 11:10:08 PM   
Shifty Bench

I always assumed that if there is the whole '007 is multiple people' deal, then the previous Bonds have died, giving someone else the chance to take the number. There are many hints over the years that all the actors are playing the same dude, though, so who knows?

I don't really mind either way

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 16816
RE: Doctor Who - 8/10/2012 11:21:40 PM   
jobloffski

Ah, but it's never been in the stories, but it would be easy enough to get it into the films, just have a Bond die on screen and the mantle passed on, or have a current Bod film with the 'wiping out of previous Bonds' as a plot driver ;-) (on the other hand, since we've had a reboot with Casino royale and a new guy earning his spurs (and finally allowed to cut loose in Skyfall) there is a tacit acceptance that 'it's always the same guy really, regardless of era' so unless/until it is stated otherwise onscreen, what we have is the best example yet of audiences showing their willingness to play along with a franchise.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 8/10/2012 11:27:02 PM >

Post #: 16817
RE: Doctor Who - 8/10/2012 11:34:47 PM   
Shifty Bench

Not really much of a Bond fan, not enough to care about whether Bond is one dude or not

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 16818
RE: Doctor Who - 8/10/2012 11:38:05 PM   
jobloffski

Post #: 16819
RE: Doctor Who - 8/10/2012 11:44:12 PM   
Shifty Bench

So, yeah, I'd like David Tennant at least to make an appearance in the 50th Anniversary

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 16820
RE: Doctor Who - 9/10/2012 6:53:02 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

This is exactly my point, which I either didn't explain very well or you completely missed. I totally understand why there will be a lot of fanfare about the 50th, and some programming to mark the occasion. But what everyone's talking about here is a celebration within the continuity of the show - completely different to the Bond fanfare. I don't see people calling for a multi-Bond reunion, or some kind of acknowledgement of the anniversary within the story of the films - all that happens around them.

I just don't really understand why there's this assumption that 50 years means some major event within the context of the story.

It's kind of as Job says - partly based on the fact the show does that and the makers are fans and want to do it to.

quote:

Ah, but it's never been in the stories

It has in the films. The marriage has been referred to subsequently eg. 007 is a designation, not the name.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 16821
RE: Doctor Who - 9/10/2012 10:09:42 AM   
Invader_Ace

what would be totally class would be if they did get all the Doctors back using manipulated old footage or something similar to that Star Trek Episode where the Next Gen Crew were all inserted into the episode from the Original Series.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16822
RE: Doctor Who - 9/10/2012 4:58:45 PM   
Vadersville

You another thing that pisses me off about the Ponds departure. It was so random! I mean, Moffat has always woven this intricate plots where everything has another meaning or purpose and things that seemed irrelevant suddenly become so significant yet this was just a bland, one off story. Now that could have been fine and could have highlighted the dangers of travelling with The Doctor and how its not always the big thing that gets you but it didn't. After helping bring reality itself back into existence, fighting the worst the universe has to offer, they're offed by one little weeping angel which has no impact on the larger story (if there is going to be one again). They seemed so integral to the past two series arcs' and there have been loads of plot threads left dangling from series 6 that it just feels anti-climatic that they've now left without so much as moving that on a little. Moffat and Gilian have both said they knew well in advance of their departure so had time to plan it out but it doesn't feel planned at all. This was the shit icing on top of a very crappy cake. I seriously don't even know if I can bring myself to try and get excited about the Christmas special or 50th anniversary.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 16823
RE: Doctor Who - 12/10/2012 1:04:48 PM   
Invader_Ace

Here you go.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/oct/12/doctor-who-amy-rory-alternative-ending

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 16824
RE: Doctor Who - 12/10/2012 2:09:24 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

You another thing that pisses me off about the Ponds departure. It was so random! I mean, Moffat has always woven this intricate plots where everything has another meaning or purpose and things that seemed irrelevant suddenly become so significant yet this was just a bland, one off story.

They've been telling the story of the impact of the Doctor on the Pond's life for all 5 episodes and come close to backing out before. And loss is random.

I get you didn't like the episode but they got the same time in moving on, or more, than others. Donna was trailed fairly early on thanks to the Oods,. but it's a thread running through not screaming in your face. Is it just that you're really annoyed at losing the characters maybe?

quote:

Post #: 16825
RE: Doctor Who - 12/10/2012 4:08:12 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

You another thing that pisses me off about the Ponds departure. It was so random! I mean, Moffat has always woven this intricate plots where everything has another meaning or purpose and things that seemed irrelevant suddenly become so significant yet this was just a bland, one off story.

They've been telling the story of the impact of the Doctor on the Pond's life for all 5 episodes and come close to backing out before. And loss is random.

I get you didn't like the episode but they got the same time in moving on, or more, than others. Donna was trailed fairly early on thanks to the Oods,. but it's a thread running through not screaming in your face. Is it just that you're really annoyed at losing the characters maybe?

Dod you read the rest of my post? I said that the shock exit could have been interesting highlighted the dangers of travelling with The Doctor and how its not always the big thing that gets you, but this episode didn't do that at all. I also get tired of people saying there's a thread running through your those five episodes but its not rammed in your face. What thread? Yeah it's made pretty obvious that Amy and Rory are leaving soon and we even get more than one fake exit, as if we haven't had enough of those already!

And as I said the Ponds have been so integral to the ongoing story that started in Series 5 (helping bring reality itself back into existence(twice!), bringing back the Doctor, tracking The Silents, etc) that the fact they've been dropped with so much still left unresolved and unaddressed this series that it just feels like a very anti-climatic exit. Kind of like when a season ends on a cliffhanger and then the next season premiere has to work around a certain character because an actor/actress didn't want to come back. Moffat and Gilian have both said they knew well in advance of Amy's departure so had time to plan it out but it just doesn't feel planned at all.

After the disappointing second half of Series 6, a naff Christmas special and this piss poor mini series, my enthusiasm for Doctor Who has dipped to an all time low. I'll probably still watch this year's Christmas special but on iplayer when I'm looking for something to fill the background.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16826
RE: Doctor Who - 12/10/2012 4:16:18 PM   
elab49

But they're just the latest set of companions - people just like some more than others. I'm a bit confused that you're asking what thread and acknowledging it was clear a distance was being put between them and the Doctor - essentially, he was hanging on to them no matter how Brian put it.

I thought this was a poor run of episodes as well and am in complete agreement with you there. But a lot of this seems to be because favourite companions are leaving. And that's just the way the show works. Rory got a big scene and a bit of bravery and a speech, so did Amy, they got a lot of stuff about their relationship (1st epi and last). That's more than enough for the any companions IMO and a lot more than most.

Just realised though that I'm a bit confused where River is - in the other Angels ep it was still spoilers and now she's pardoned and a professor and presumably near her end because the Doctor doesn't exist. But it didn't feel like they'd properly closed the gap where she was ahead of him and knew what was happening - but it didn't look like she knew what was going on with her parents so it must have been almost contemporaneous for her?

quote:

Post #: 16827
RE: Doctor Who - 13/10/2012 12:44:02 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

Here you go.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/oct/12/doctor-who-amy-rory-alternative-ending

I'm glad we got to see this.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 16828
RE: Doctor Who - 13/10/2012 1:41:23 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, that's lovely.

And also further proof that fatherhood has turned me into an emotional mess.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 16829
RE: Doctor Who - 13/10/2012 4:18:49 PM   
Shifty Bench

Oh, apparently I have something in my eye.....manly tears!

I really wish they had kept that secret, filmed it and stuck in the Christmas special.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 13/10/2012 4:19:36 PM >

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 16830
Page:   <<   < prev  559 560 [561] 562 563   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  559 560 [561] 562 563   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI