Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Doctor Who

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  558 559 [560] 561 562   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 9:21:51 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

Karen Gillan's first interview on a US talk show (Conan) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b1DXpaUpSw

It's not her first, she's been on Craig Ferguson's show.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 30/9/2012 9:24:25 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 16771
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 9:22:21 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

I don't know if this has been mentioned but what actually makes me sad is the fact that Amy died five years after Rory

I was more pleased she got to live out her whole life time with him.

Good for you? I guess

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 16772
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 9:22:43 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

It's not her fist, she's been on Craig Ferguson's show.

Post #: 16773
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 9:22:52 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

True, but that's more US/Scottish. I thought she came across surprisingly well on Conan.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

Post #: 16774
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 9:24:01 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker
I thought it was a pretty dark ending actually, the only bit of comfort to be drawn from it is the fact that they lived together. Their lives would have been tinged with a real sadness knowing everything they did and everyone they lost.

Indeed. Amy never saw her parents again and Rory never saw his dad. Add to that the fact they couldn't have kids either, it's pretty bleak. But, as has been said, they did have each other.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 16775
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 9:28:19 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

I thought it was a pretty dark ending actually, the only bit of comfort to be drawn from it is the fact that they lived together. Their lives would have been tinged with a real sadness knowing everything they did and everyone they lost.

Indeed. Amy never saw her parents again and Rory never saw his dad. Add to that the fact they couldn't have kids either, it's pretty bleak. But, as has been said, they did have each other.

I thought the choice of Mark Williams as Rory's dad was excellent - really did look like it could be his father. I think Dr Who should really go to his dad and explain what happened, definately not as bad as wondering what happened to his son for the rest of his tortured life.

Post #: 16776
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 9:28:50 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Oh well.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

Ha. In fact, that's not even rude. Anyway, it has been changed

quote:

True, but that's more US/Scottish. I thought she came across surprisingly well on Conan.

No, it's an American show made in America for an American network co-written by Americans and shot by an American crew. And why 'surprisingly well'?

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 16777
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 9:30:00 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

I think Dr Who should really go to his dad and explain what happened, definately not as bad as wondering what happened to his son for the rest of his tortured life.

But....that's not his name!

Post #: 16778
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 11:59:48 PM   
originalcynic

His names Malcolm. Or so the Daily Mail said

Post #: 16779
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 1:23:47 AM   
musht

Only watched the episode there and I'm not going to read back over the last few pages (I tries but it's really late).

Two Things!!

1. There's no way that a hundredth of a second goes by without someone looking at the Statue of Liberty, and certainly not enough time for it to stroll into Manhattan (That really annoyed me)

2. Am I right in thinking that the Doctor can only not visit Manhattan, so surely all the Ponds have to do is catch a train to Boston (or anywhere outside Manhattan) and he'd be able to rescue them?

< Message edited by musht -- 1/10/2012 1:25:27 AM >

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to originalcynic)
Post #: 16780
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 1:27:52 AM   
themightyhutch

Hated it. It was a good episode in places, creepy in the right places and generally entertaining but the ending, good god that wasn't the right ending. It just didn't work. As someone who's enjoyed the whole series and have absolutely loved Amy and Rory I just felt a bit short changed by it. Amy's farewell was sad, and I liked how she absolutely chose to spend her life with Rory rather than have continued adventures but what happened to Rory's? It was really bad storytelling. Rory notices that someone with the exact same name died (which we'd seen before) and then he's gone. Just gone. No payoff with the Doctor, no payoff with his daughter (although I could have left that as I find it jarring when River says Mother/Father) and most importantly, no payoff with the viewer, especially those who like me have loved Rory and thought he was consistently the best character on the show. Even if Moffat was going for a situation with shock at his exit he didn't need to signpost it. Like Rgirvan I believe it isn't the end because it just felt so unfinished. Even if it was a cop-out I would have been so much happier if they just chose to leave for their life together rather than that. I just know that Moffat can do better because we've seen him do better.

I'm going to watch it again and I hope I'm wrong and there was something hidden but generally I didn't really like it.

(in reply to originalcynic)
Post #: 16781
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 1:36:19 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

Am I right in thinking that the Doctor can only not visit Manhattan, so surely all the Ponds have to do is catch a train to Boston (or anywhere outside Manhattan) and he'd be able to rescue them?

No, it's the whole "He's already become part of events" situation a la Girl in the Fireplace.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 16782
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 1:45:11 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

Am I right in thinking that the Doctor can only not visit Manhattan, so surely all the Ponds have to do is catch a train to Boston (or anywhere outside Manhattan) and he'd be able to rescue them?

No, it's the whole "He's already become part of events" situation a la Girl in the Fireplace.

Oh, I get it. The Doctor can absolutely change things but not if he has already done so because he can't be involved if he is already involved. That made little sense typing it out but I think I get it now!

Post #: 16783
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 1:48:08 AM   
Olaf

Surely the scene beforehand with Rory on the ledge encapsulated everything about his character and gave the audience the emotional payoff they needed. It did for me. and three dramatic emotional farewell scenes stacked on top of each other (Rory and Amy, Rory, Amy) would have been shallow melodrama on an RTD-esque scale - the way it was structured meant that the effect of the ledge scene wasn't cancelled out by basically doing it again less than five minutes later.

and speaking as a massive Rory fanboy, Amy's personal relationship with the Doctor needed to be placed at the centre of the show for that scene. The two key relationship dynamics of the last three seasons have been Amy/Doctor and Amy/Rory, and they both got their own send-off.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 16784
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 1:52:27 AM   
paul_ie86

Was River still under arrest when they were at the Byzantium?

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

Post #: 16785
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 1:55:43 AM   
musht

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, I get it. The Doctor can absolutely change things but not if he has already done so because he can't be involved if he is already involved. That made little sense typing it out but I think I get it now!t

Rrrrrrright, I'm still confused but I'll take your word for it. I'll have to rewatch 'Girl in the Fireplace'

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

Post #: 16786
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 1:58:41 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, I get it. The Doctor can absolutely change things but not if he has already done so because he can't be involved if he is already involved. That made little sense typing it out but I think I get it now!t

Rrrrrrright, I'm still confused but I'll take your word for it. I'll have to rewatch 'Girl in the Fireplace'

I think I understand it now. It confuses me too.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 16787
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 2:00:31 AM   
Hood_Man

What if he visited Manhattan during a time when the Pond's are alive, but he just avoided meeting them?

Post #: 16788
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 2:22:16 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

and speaking as a massive Rory fanboy, Amy's personal relationship with the Doctor needed to be placed at the centre of the show for that scene. The two key relationship dynamics of the last three seasons have been Amy/Doctor and Amy/Rory, and they both got their own send-off.

Absolutely agree with this one.

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

Was River still under arrest when they were at the Byzantium?

Yep - she says at the end of that adventure "I might have done enough to earn a pardon this time".

quote:

What if he visited Manhattan during a time when the Pond's are alive, but he just avoided meeting them?

If he ever visits Manhattan during that period again, he will never meet them. Because the fact that he never did* has already happened for Amy and Rory.

*Going off Amy's final note in the book, at least.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 16789
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 12:50:44 PM   
Vadersville

Still not getting how Amy and Rory seeing their grave makes them dieing back then a fixed point. I mean if its the same as how in Blink, The Doctor was always going to make it back to present day because he was reading the transcript given to him from Sally Sparrow that she wrote after she had been saved. Fine. But then couldn't it have just as easily gone the other way? Why wasn't it a case of The Doctor was alaways going to back and save them so the gravestone is just a marker. In fact, why couldn't The Doctor have gone back, saved them, then arranged for a gravestone to be made and put in that spot, so that rory still saw it and the timeline was still maintained? In the logic of the show, time is supposed to consist of moments that can be changed and are continually in flux and fixed points which must not or cannot be changed. What I struggle to grasp is what exactly makes this event a fixed point? I mean in Series 1 (newWho), The Doctor was fine taking Rose back to be there for her father whilst he died, despite her mother already telling her that he died alone. So they could change that. (Granted its not the best example as Rose then fucks up the timeline by trying to save her dad, but still) I also don't buy into The Doctor just giving up so easily on them. A series ago he messed with a supposed fixed point to save his own life yet here he just gives in straight away. What happened to last episode's "I will defend them to my last breath." Or promising Rory's dad that he wouldn't let the die and would always bring them home safely. In fact, has he even bothered to let mark Williams where/when they are??? What a load of bollocks.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 16790
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 12:53:09 PM   
jobloffski

Was okay. Character stuff good enough, but reuse of angels bit lame, Hopefully the new blood will bring new life to the show, but it;s now so hit and miss I can take or leave it.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

Post #: 16791
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 6:59:54 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Still not getting how Amy and Rory seeing their grave makes them dieing back then a fixed point. I mean if its the same as how in Blink, The Doctor was always going to make it back to present day because he was reading the transcript given to him from Sally Sparrow that she wrote after she had been saved. Fine. But then couldn't it have just as easily gone the other way? Why wasn't it a case of The Doctor was alaways going to back and save them so the gravestone is just a marker. In fact, why couldn't The Doctor have gone back, saved them, then arranged for a gravestone to be made and put in that spot, so that rory still saw it and the timeline was still maintained? In the logic of the show, time is supposed to consist of moments that can be changed and are continually in flux and fixed points which must not or cannot be changed. What I struggle to grasp is what exactly makes this event a fixed point? I mean in Series 1 (newWho), The Doctor was fine taking Rose back to be there for her father whilst he died, despite her mother already telling her that he died alone. So they could change that. (Granted its not the best example as Rose then fucks up the timeline by trying to save her dad, but still) I also don't buy into The Doctor just giving up so easily on them. A series ago he messed with a supposed fixed point to save his own life yet here he just gives in straight away. What happened to last episode's "I will defend them to my last breath." Or promising Rory's dad that he wouldn't let the die and would always bring them home safely. In fact, has he even bothered to let mark Williams where/when they are??? What a load of bollocks.

This is a very good post....

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 16792
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 7:16:16 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Or promising Rory's dad that he wouldn't let the die and would always bring them home safely. In fact, has he even bothered to let mark Williams where/when they are??? What a load of bollocks.

Well, to be fair, the episode ended........

I'm guessing his dad will be told off-screen this could be for a number of reasons. It could be because they couldn't get Mark Williams for the episode (they are shot out of order) or Moff thought it would have slowed the episode down or they couldn't fit it in due to running time. Also, we don't have to see everything, I think it's safe to assume the Doctor will take care of that. Who knows how long it is for him between losing Amy and the upcoming Christmas ep?

Post #: 16793
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 7:55:45 PM   
jobloffski

Better on a second viewing. Guess the 'drama' of the things said to Rory's dad is also for repeat viewings: he sounds determined to save them no matter what, but he will fail. Would quite like to see his dad again, in a storyline type I can't remember seeing in Who...Brian, grief stricken loses all the doddery dadness and uses the amiability of the Doctor to lead him into a trap set by a baddie, helped by Brian who simply wants revenge, and wont be changing his mind, perhaps killed in the plot...

Brian...why?

My son is dead. Because he met you. I don't care how sorry you think you are. You don't know the meaning of the word. But you will. Because you met me.

etc.

No reason why 'the effect the doctor has on the people he meets' thematic stuff can't lead to people wanting vengeance on him and future continuty, and because of the circumstances, he'd agree he'd deserve it, so good acting opps for all concerned.

In the past, the continuity of the show wasn't soap like, week to week, it was standalone adventures with recurring baddies now and then to create a broader canvas. Hopefully that's where things are heading, cos the standalones are beginning to get tedious.

TATM was a 'necessary' standalone bringing an iteration of the core cast grouping to an end. Can;t help feeling that a bigger version of the story, as a two parter, opening the series, or at least the secnd tale could have allowed ALL the character beats between the main group that featured in the first five eps to be covered more cogently and affectingly, because the beats would have followed one another and been contained within one plot. Much of the first 5 eps felt like treading water, waiting for the big finish, and as such, can't help thinking the standalones would have been better for a new companion, settling in, rather than having Rory and Amy present, sometimes almost as dead wood.

Who has had worse runs than the recent 5 eps. But week to week, there was no WOW factor because the hype trailing the departure of the Ponds/Williams/whatever meant for me at least, a strangely sterile run of episodes reliant on gimmicky content, the fun neutered by the knowledge of imminent departure, the drama diluted by having Matt Smith acting his arse off in the context of hackneyed American cinematic tropes. Frankly, if I want to see dinosaurs, I can look elsewhere, I can see westerns if I want, and the film noir/detective stylings were basically shite.

If the 'in the style of a particular genre of film' stuff continues, I'll probably be taking a Wholiday. I'm not obsessive enough to watch it no matter what, and wont be over-arsed to tune in if the unlimited possibilities of the series set up, which cant be matched by any other show, ever, aren't to be the seed for the style of the show. Yes the show has done 'genre' before, but in the olden days, the focus still remained the title character in the scenario. Of late the doctor can tend to seem like a passenger, rather than the pilot of his own plane. Shite metaphor, but there you go.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 1/10/2012 8:22:47 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

Post #: 16794
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 8:31:04 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

quote:

This is a very good post....

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 16795
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 8:37:36 PM   
Hood_Man

You know Fluke, if he was disagreeing with you he'd be typing in blue font

Post #: 16796
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 9:24:54 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

You know Fluke, if he was disagreeing with you he'd be typing in blue font

Yes Vadersville I agree with what you're saying. I would have had Amy turned into a Cyberwoman and Rory having to kill her - that would have been fucked up

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 16797
RE: Doctor Who - 1/10/2012 11:41:34 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

If they ever did they better do it in the way they added Rose to Partners In Crime after the previews - had that been left off the press copies too?

IIRC yes, Rose didn't appear on screen in PiC until actual transmission.

Post #: 16798
RE: Doctor Who - 3/10/2012 12:13:24 PM   
themightyhutch

Rewatched it and actually it's much much better than I thought. The bit on the rooftop was beautiful, some of the best writing the show has ever had. The episode for all its plot holes (Statue of Liberty moving, why don't they meet Rory in a nearby city and bring him home) is still very good and classic Doctor Who.

I just can't get rid of that niggle that Rory's exit could have been so much better played. Why did he go back? There was literally no cause for him to go back. That is still whichever way you look at it poor storytelling and the dialogue is really clunky to go with it.

Post #: 16799
RE: Doctor Who - 4/10/2012 1:18:29 PM   
spark1

looks like the doctor will be in need of xmas cheer this time.

the aussie p m wants new who down under-

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2012/09/dwn041012130511.html

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 16800
Page:   <<   < prev  558 559 [560] 561 562   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  558 559 [560] 561 562   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI