Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Doctor Who

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  557 558 [559] 560 561   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:15:38 PM   
Rgirvan44

What age was Amy in this episode - trying to work out what year she died.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 16741
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:16:15 PM   
Rgirvan44

1994 it seems!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16742
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:16:32 PM   
Shifty Bench

I've never understood that, he changes things all the time. He saved that family in Pompeii and isn't he changing things just by visiting Amelia when he didn't originally anyway? Time travel is confusing

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16743
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:16:51 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

What age was Amy in this episode - trying to work out what year she died.

She died when she was 95 a few years after Rory

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16744
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:19:19 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

I've never understood that, he changes things all the time. He saved that family in Pompeii and isn't he changing things just by visiting Amelia when he didn't originally anyway? Time travel is confusing

Yeah surely if you are a time traveller going backwards who chooses to interact with people you are constantly changing things that have already happened?

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 16745
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:23:22 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

He can break the rules, but tries his hardest not to - Waters of Mars sets this up quite well. When the Timelords were there, you simply couldn't go back into the past and change things as you pleased. But with them gone, the Doctor did change the past and looked what happened?

I think of it like a tapestry - some threads are much stronger and more important than others - those are the fixed points. To remove them would be to risk destorying the fabric of time/space.

Post #: 16746
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:23:35 PM   
elab49

He gave a speech then about what are fixed points - where you know exactly how things happened and those can't change. And with stuff like the great fire although we know it took place, them causing it didn't change history, it just is how it actually happened.

But a fixed point is different but the Pompeii epi discussed it quite a bit. But he can't go back in his own timeline to change things if they didn't go well and cross over things - it's only odd circs where you get the multi-doctor stories.

Edit - or, as Rgirv says, causing fuck-ups as a result.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 30/9/2012 8:26:32 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 16747
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:24:09 PM   
Shifty Bench

Exactly. It only happens that way when the script says so

Post #: 16748
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:25:52 PM   
Rgirvan44

Here is a mystery - how exactly did the Doctor get that book? The point is brushed aside...but something is up there I think.

Post #: 16749
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:31:37 PM   
Shifty Bench

Didn't Amy give him the book? It was sent to her publishing house or whatever job she had this time round.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16750
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:31:59 PM   
elab49

Didn't River imply she got Amy to put it in his pocket (and presumably to act innocent?) - she said she'd have to get Amy to get it published didn't she? 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16751
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:35:37 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

So why did Amy going back in time create a fixed point?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16752
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:35:47 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Didn't River imply she got Amy to put it in his pocket (and presumably to act innocent?) - she said she'd have to get Amy to get it published didn't she? 

Yeah - but present day Amy knew nothing about it, and old age Amy wasn't alive. River knew nothing about it either. How did it get to the Doctor?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16753
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:38:12 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Because she was recorded to have died - as seen on that gravestone. That is now a fixed point for the Doctor - in the same way that Adelaide was recorded as dying on Mars. Now - could the Doctor have attempted something? Maybe - but he was punished before, and due to the paradox from the first time, the time energy around New York in that year is weak - risk of blowing up the city is too great.

Post #: 16754
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:42:41 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Because she was recorded to have died - as seen on that gravestone. That is now a fixed point for the Doctor - in the same way that Adelaide was recorded as dying on Mars. Now - could the Doctor have attempted something? Maybe - but he was punished before, and due to the paradox from the first time, the time energy around New York in that year is weak - risk of blowing up the city is too great.

So the fixed point is them living out their lives and dying in Manhattan - does this prevent him from visiting them and taking them on missions?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16755
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:43:01 PM   
Shifty Bench

I don't know if this has been mentioned but what actually makes me sad is the fact that Amy died five years after Rory

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16756
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:44:25 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

Yeah - but present day Amy knew nothing about it, and old age Amy wasn't alive. River knew nothing about it either. How did it get to the Doctor?

Which'll be why she said she had to right it. And if she got Amy to publish it I'd guess the only out is Amy fibbed (although River had her promise not to read it).

I don't think they can quite do anything. If they do something timey wimey they at least have to try to come up with an explanation that fits into canon or doesn't just seem silly or they'll be called on it. And this fixed pt thing fit into, I think, previous comments on it.It's a closed loop kind of thing.

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16757
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:46:11 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

Which'll be why she said she had to right it. And if she got Amy to publish it I'd guess the only out is Amy fibbed (although River had her promise not to read it).

I don't think they can quite do anything. If they do something timey wimey they at least have to try to come up with an explanation that fits into canon or doesn't just seem silly or they'll be called on it. And this fixed pt thing fit into, I think, previous comments on it.It's a closed loop kind of thing.

I am taking it as another clue that something is up with this episode. The Doctor randomly appears with a book no one else knows about.Feels like a Moffat thing.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16758
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:48:32 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

I don't know if this has been mentioned but what actually makes me sad is the fact that Amy died five years after Rory

Yeah that was bloody sad - can you imagine the poor thing, a gentle old dear in her nineties, memories fading, in ill health - and no one around her having the slightest clue of what a truly amazing life she led...

Post #: 16759
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:53:35 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am taking it as another clue that something is up with this episode. The Doctor randomly appears with a book no one else knows about.Feels like a Moffat thing.

If you start going Prisoner Zero we could kettle you somewhere for your own good

You are kind of going from 'how was the arcless mini-series' to spying things in every corner a bit!

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16760
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:55:33 PM   
Rgirvan44

TRUST NOTHING. QUESTION EVERYTHING.

Just watched that final days of the Ponds doc - if they do come back there will be so many pissed off people.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16761
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:56:43 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

I was more pleased she got to live out her whole life time with him.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 16762
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 8:58:21 PM   
elab49

If they ever did they better do it in the way they added Rose to Partners In Crime after the previews - had that been left off the press copies too?

Note to Moffat - THAT'S the way you avoid spoilers. Lie to people.

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16763
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 9:00:56 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

TRUST NOTHING. QUESTION EVERYTHING.

Just watched that final days of the Ponds doc - if they do come back there will be so many pissed off people.

It's the old mixed emotions - you don't want to accept you're never going to see them again, but having them appear lessens the impact of their departure. I say 'them' but only really mean Amy

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16764
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 9:05:06 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

Good for you? I guess

While it is true she spent the rest of his life with him, I still think its sad that she died in the past, alone, without her family, the Doctor and even without Rory, who she sacrificed herself for. Him dying five years before makes it a tad bittersweet and especially goes against the whole 'together or not at all' deal. This isn't a complaint, I just thought it was a bit sad. Moffat can be a bit cruel sometimes.

Like I say, it was a bittersweet ending.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 16765
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 9:06:52 PM   
giggity

haha yeah not only was last nights episode difficult because It would be the last time I get my dose of Karen Gillan, they go and turn up the hotness by putting a pair of glasses on her, be still my beating heart
Although I did recently find out she's a smoker so the hotness percentage was lowered a bit

(in reply to Dozy McGrew)
Post #: 16766
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 9:12:03 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity
Although I did recently find out she's a smoker so the hotness percentage was lowered a bit

Is she? Dammit!

(like I had a shot anyway )

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 16767
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 9:12:43 PM   
elab49

Just realised I've only been assumed the dates are current on the stone BUT I was also basing the back flip timing based on Blink as well. WHich wasn't massively far back in the past? 

quote:

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 16768
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 9:15:36 PM   
vad3r

Karen Gillan's first interview on a US talk show (Conan) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b1DXpaUpSw

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 16769
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 9:16:54 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

Good for you? I guess

While it is true she spent the rest of his life with him, I still think its sad that she died in the past, alone, without her family, the Doctor and even without Rory, who she sacrificed herself for. Him dying five years before makes it a tad bittersweet and especially goes against the whole 'together or not at all' deal. This isn't a complaint, I just thought it was a bit sad. Moffat can be a bit cruel sometimes.

Like I say, it was a bittersweet ending.

I thought it was a pretty dark ending actually, the only bit of comfort to be drawn from it is the fact that they lived together. Their lives would have been tinged with a real sadness knowing everything they did and everyone they lost.

Post #: 16770
Page:   <<   < prev  557 558 [559] 560 561   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  557 558 [559] 560 561   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI