Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Doctor Who

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  555 556 [557] 558 559   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 9:45:27 PM   
elab49

He had just been copiously kissed by him. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16681
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 9:48:16 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

There have been a couple of interviews with Gillan where she has said she won't be back because it will take the impact of the exit away. Not even for the 50th anniversary. Although, as well as that, in Sci-Fi Now she also said-

"When I left, I wanted it to be done. I want people to to go and re-watch the final moments and actually feel sad but not like 'Oh, they're coming back, so it's fine!' So, probably not, but you should never say never. Anything is possible with time travel"

They won't come out and admit it - where would the fun in that be?

Amy and the Doctor are so wrapped up with each others lives, that I find it hard to believe this is where it ends. The final scene of young Amy just reinforced that point to me.

You know, I started to type that post then answered the phone and made myself a cup of tea, I had no idea you were actually talking about this, I was replying to the very first time you said it.

I don't really give a shit either way but that interview does say 'never say never'. It could be possible that she hasn't actually made the decision yet, she wants to move on but given the right story, she could come back. I don't think anything is planned yet but I don't deny that there is every possibility that they will return at some point.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16682
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 10:05:17 PM   
Shifty Bench

Oh, I didn't mention it but last week's logo was-

and this week's was a Statue Of Liberty type deal-

That's from the Doctor Who site but that is usually what they look like on the actual episode minus the DW.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 29/9/2012 10:06:40 PM >

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 16683
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 10:21:07 PM   
Shifty Bench

The last days of the Ponds, behind the scenes- click

EDIT: Watching that video, it has dawned on me that Matt Smith is an amazing looking human being, very unique. It only took me three years, eh?

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 29/9/2012 10:32:08 PM >

Post #: 16684
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 10:39:15 PM   
Vadersville

Why did Rory get zapped? The weeping Angel appeared behind him once he turned to face Amy, which was odd, but i can settle that she blinked at some point when he turned to face her but then, he turned back round and saw it before it zapped him. So what? Despite both knowing the rules, and despite Amy lasting ages by winking not blinking in Series5, they both blink at the same time???

Thought this was crap. Terrible farewell to two of the best companions and a piss poor episode anyway. Lots of ideas but no execution. (so I guess it was like Alien3)

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 16685
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 10:40:25 PM   
Vadersville

Also, if the Doctor can just randomly heal River with his regeneration powers, why couldn't he heal Amy so she could have children again?

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 16686
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 10:42:44 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Also, if the Doctor can just randomly heal River with his regeneration powers, why couldn't he heal Amy so she could have children again?

I doubt it works unless you have a bit of Timelord DNA...

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 16687
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 10:43:04 PM   
elab49

He didn't turn around and see it before it zapped him - he had his back to it looking at the tombstone. When Amy saw it it had already gotten to him. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 16688
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 10:45:42 PM   
Base

Brought a tear

Much as I'd like to see them again, I hope the interview is correct, that should be it, one of the best exits ever...

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16689
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 10:59:50 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

He didn't turn around and see it before it zapped him - he had his back to it looking at the tombstone. When Amy saw it it had already gotten to him. 

Ah true, but still, why does Amy blink then! She didn't blink when it was her own skin on the line but Rory's she blinks straight away? Murderer! Also why does Rory even go back and look at the grave? it's not like its even in the corner of his eye. he just randomly walks backwards and looks straight at it.

Why can't The Doctor visit them? I get the whole, oh it's a fixed even t now they have to die because they've seen their own grave stone, but why can't he visit them? The time energy that was stopping him landing before has been erased by the paradox and if its the paradox stopping him then how come he was okay staying in Martha's time after the Master's year had been undone in Series 3. Come to think of it, do fixed points have any real meaning now since last series finale when The Doctor cheated his own death?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16690
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 11:06:37 PM   
elab49

Amy didn't see it till after it got Rory - there wasn't a gap in time and a scene playing out, she turned to see what he was looking at and caught the angel when it was already too late for Rory (you can check on iplayer now).

The Dr said the paradox had time-locked New York between the two dates I think unless he meant the period was now time-locked and he couldn't go back within it at all?

quote:

Post #: 16691
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 11:10:02 PM   
matty_b

quote:

Also why does Rory even go back and look at the grave? it's not like its even in the corner of his eye. he just randomly walks backwards and looks straight at it.

I thought one of them had dropped something and he'd gone back to pick it up.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16692
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 11:13:29 PM   
elab49

I think it did seem as if he sensed something - he was looking over his shoulder and not quite seeing anything when he glanced down and saw the stone. 

quote:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 16693
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 11:13:45 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

Amy didn't see it till after it got Rory - there wasn't a gap in time and a scene playing out, she turned to see what he was looking at and caught the angel when it was already too late for Rory (you can check on iplayer now).

The Dr said the paradox had time-locked New York between the two dates I think unless he meant the period was now time-locked and he couldn't go back within it at all?

Yes there was. It appears behind him as a stone statue and then Rory gets zapped. They only stop and become statuers when theyre being watched, meaning Amy saw the statue behind Rory (it is clearly visible behind him and then it got him).

But that doesn't make any sense within the logic of the show. Previous paradox(s) have never time-locked the time period in which they occur. Actually, why do the writers even bother making it so companions can't come back in new who? e.g. Rose, being trapped in a parallel universe, Donna forgetting the Doctor or dieing. Especially when they almost always bring them back anyway. Would have much preferred for them to have left last series or even last episode. This was just naff and a terrible ending. It's not even like they met their end at the hands of a big bad. Just a half dead weeping angel.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16694
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 11:16:11 PM   
elab49

I watched it again before I posted - I do think she saw it as it got him. She may have frozen it but it was already too late - it was touching him. 

I think it's part of the way they get into the lives of these companions that the only way to let them leave is to make it almost irrevocable - it's part of the way Nu Who works. Which is kind of unfortunate  - not in the sense of companions going but because it does force a kind of story onto the exit.

quote:

Post #: 16695
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 11:18:15 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

Also why does Rory even go back and look at the grave? it's not like its even in the corner of his eye. he just randomly walks backwards and looks straight at it.

I thought one of them had dropped something and he'd gone back to pick it up.

No, it catches his eye when he's walking towards the Tardis so then he goes back, I assume to see if it really did have his name on it. He definitely glances at it before turning back though (thank you iPlayer)

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 16696
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 11:21:29 PM   
matty_b

quote:

I think it's part of the way they get into the lives of these companions that the only way to let them leave is to make it almost irrevocable - it's part of the way Nu Who works. Which is kind of unfortunate - not in the sense of companions going but because it does force a kind of story onto the exit.

As much as her time on the show was generally rubbish, that was the good thing about Martha's exit - choosing to leave of her own accord because it was better for her.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16697
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 11:24:22 PM   
Hood_Man

Amy looks down, presumably looking at the back of the gravestone Rory is looking at, and when she looks up it cuts to the shot of Rory's face with the Angel behind him out of focus.

It must be during that quick glance down that the Angel appears behind Rory and pokes him, and I guess there's a slight delay between making contact and warping away.

Also with the gravestone, when Rory walks back to look at it, it's actually the second time he sees it. Moments earlier, as the Doctor says "I want to go to the pub right now," Rory takes a clear glance to his right as he and Amy walk toward the TARDIS, and maintains his gaze for a good second or two as they walk.

So it must be one of those "Did I just see...?" moments when he went back to check

[EDIT]

Just seen the above posts.

Well bloody bugger to you you beastly buggers for getting in there before me

(changed for not wanting to call anyone a bastard, even if it is just a film quote )

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 29/9/2012 11:26:11 PM >

Post #: 16698
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 11:25:01 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

I think it's part of the way they get into the lives of these companions that the only way to let them leave is to make it almost irrevocable - it's part of the way Nu Who works. Which is kind of unfortunate - not in the sense of companions going but because it does force a kind of story onto the exit.

As much as her time on the show was generally rubbish, that was the good thing about Martha's exit - choosing to leave of her own accord because it was better for her.

Have to agree. The only "tragic" ending they got right imo is Donna's and i'm still torn over that. At last that had some emotional weight to it. This just felt... empty.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 16699
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 11:26:54 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Amy looks down, presumably looking at the back of the gravestone Rory is looking at, and when she looks up it cuts to the shot of Rory's face with the Angel behind him out of focus.

It must be during that quick glance down that the Angel appears behind Rory and pokes him, and I guess there's a slight delay between making contact and warping away.

Also with the gravestone, when Rory walks back to look at it, it's actually the second time he sees it. Moments earlier, as the Doctor says "I want to go to the pub right now," Rory takes a clear glance to his right as he and Amy walk toward the TARDIS, and maintains his gaze for a good second or two as they walk.

So it must be one of those "Did I just see...?" moments when he went back to check

Quit making excuses for it. Was there ever a slight delay in Blink?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 16700
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 11:27:45 PM   
elab49

Donna's still makes me angry because it was a cop-out. And horrible. And wrong. But mostly the cop-out - they'd have done better to let her die. 

quote:

Post #: 16701
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 11:28:55 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

quote:

Quit making excuses for it. Was there ever a slight delay in Blink?

Dramatic license then?

Post #: 16702
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 11:30:05 PM   
elab49

I've looked at the damn thing 3 times now and I still don't see what Vadersville is seeing 

quote:

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 16703
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 11:39:21 PM   
matty_b

Not to digress too much, but I think it's overstated how selfish Donna is in The Runaway Bride. Once she gets beyond the initial shock of being snatched away on her wedding day, she's not that different to how she reappeared.

But, yes, as emotional as it was, she deserved better.

quote:

Post #: 16704
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 11:43:17 PM   
Hood_Man

I didn't mind Donna's End too much, but I wish The Doctor had left after telling her family, without her walking in. It was horrible seeing her barely acknowledge him.

Oh, and elab -
quote:

they'd have done better to let her die. 

If you could hear the evil voice I read this in

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 16705
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 11:55:06 PM   
Mute

Thought that was excellent. I hope the Ponds don't come back after this, because I can't really think of a better exit for them than this. It was tragic and very final and made me cry several times, yet they still got to live a long and happy life together. And Moffat managed the impressive achievement of making the Weeping Angels even creepier, especially the Statue of Liberty Angel - though it bugged me that it didn't really do anything despite the fact that for most of the scene on the roof no one was actually looking at it.

PSN: blackout505

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16706
RE: Doctor Who - 29/9/2012 11:59:43 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mute
though it bugged me that it didn't really do anything despite the fact that for most of the scene on the roof no one was actually looking at it.

Rory had his eye on it the whole time he was standing on the edge of the building, then Amy looked at it, then The Doctor and River, then the paradox happened. There is one momet where it could have done something but then the Ponds dove off the building.

(in reply to Mute)
Post #: 16707
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 12:07:28 AM   
Hood_Man

I'm not sure what it could actually do to be honest, maybe it's the Weeping Angel version of Lenny from Of Mice and Men, big but too dumb to do anything practical

Post #: 16708
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 12:11:12 AM   
Rgirvan44

So what do people feel now we have had a pretty arcless miniseries? Do they want arcs, or are they happy with the format?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 16709
RE: Doctor Who - 30/9/2012 12:11:17 AM   
MovieAddict247

I just finished watching it. It was great.

However, I did not expect to cry that much (I look horrendously pathetic now, red eyes and all). Amy saying "Goodbye, Raggedy Man" really got to me.

quote:

I'm not sure what it could actually do to be honest, maybe it's the Weeping Angel version of Lenny from Of Mice and Men, big but too dumb to do anything practical

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 16710
Page:   <<   < prev  555 556 [557] 558 559   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  555 556 [557] 558 559   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI