Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Doctor Who

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Doctor Who - 19/1/2006 12:23:03 PM   
DiscoBoy

Haven't read any of the books, just watch the show, so I can't say I'm bothered either way.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 91
RE: Doctor Who - 19/1/2006 12:28:08 PM   
Mozza

I wasn't even aware of any books existing!

(in reply to DiscoBoy)
Post #: 92
RE: Doctor Who - 19/1/2006 12:35:14 PM   
DiscoBoy

Which time line are you in?

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 93
RE: Doctor Who - 19/1/2006 12:35:45 PM   
V!nc3nt

I'd like to just add my name to the list of Dr Who fans on here. I loved the latest series (although the 7th Doc is my fave) and I'm looking forward to the new series. The Christmas Invasion was superb!

When Chuck Norris has sex with a man, it won't be because he is gay. It will be because he has run out of women.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 94
RE: Doctor Who - 19/1/2006 12:48:22 PM   
dr. salvador

Just brilliant, and the Christmas Invasion was amazing. Can't wait for the new series!

"Say hey Johnny boy, the battle call.
United we stand, divided we fall.
Together we are what we can't be alone,
We came to this country, you made it our home."

(in reply to Dozy McGrew)
Post #: 95
RE: Doctor Who - 19/1/2006 12:59:17 PM   
Rebel scum

I am an official Doctor Who fan.
Now that's out of the way-The Christmas Invasion was the best thing on over Christmas (Excluding films). The humour and the dark parts fitted together well. In fact, the only low point was Earth becoming the Death Star.
Roll on the new series!!

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

Post #: 96
RE: Doctor Who - 19/1/2006 9:18:52 PM   
Ripper

quote:

ORIGINAL: DiscoBoy

It's all started to fall apart - Bring back K-9 & Friends, that's what I say!!

From its one episode?? And the fact (spoiler - ish) K9 and Sarah Jane Smith are in season 2 althogh if youve seen the xhristmas invasion thats moot point

I think we can all agree, history is in the past

- George Dubya Bush

Some say he only knows two things about ducks .... and both of them are wrong

(in reply to DiscoBoy)
Post #: 97
RE: Doctor Who - 19/1/2006 10:07:55 PM   
mumblin sumpthin

quote:

ORIGINAL: V!nc3nt

I loved the latest series (although the 7th Doc is my fave)

Sylvester McCoy? I thought he had the potential to be a fantastic Doctor and was really good casting, it's just a shame he was let down by really poor material and the fact that it seemed like the BBC had given up on the show by then.

"Oh fine! Let's just haul out our swords and start banging away at each other! That will solve everything!"

"Please don't interrupt me when I'm asking rhetorical questions."

"Death is...whimsical today"

(in reply to V!nc3nt)
Post #: 98
RE: Doctor Who - 19/1/2006 11:21:40 PM   
DiscoBoy

I saw him in Zorro - The Musical...he wasn't Zorro, but fairly entertaining. I've met him on a couple of occasions too and he's a very pleasant guy. Has all the quirkiness of his Doctor.

I think Tennant's Doctor could be a lot like McCoy's.

(in reply to mumblin sumpthin)
Post #: 99
RE: Doctor Who - 20/1/2006 9:32:32 AM   
V!nc3nt

quote:

ORIGINAL: mumblin sumpthin

quote:

I loved the latest series (although the 7th Doc is my fave)

Sylvester McCoy? I thought he had the potential to be a fantastic Doctor and was really good casting, it's just a shame he was let down by really poor material and the fact that it seemed like the BBC had given up on the show by then.

He had his fair share of excellent stories mixed in with some dross though. Paradise Towers, The Happiness Patrol, Remembrance of the Daleks and Ghostlight being shining examples of just how good Who can be.

When Chuck Norris has sex with a man, it won't be because he is gay. It will be because he has run out of women.

Post #: 100
RE: Doctor Who - 21/1/2006 12:06:59 PM   
Dragonfall 5

quote:

I saw him in Zorro - The Musical...he wasn't Zorro, but fairly entertaining. I've met him on a couple of occasions too and he's a very pleasant guy. Has all the quirkiness of his Doctor.

I think Tennant's Doctor could be a lot like McCoy's.

Actually, I thought his performance was closer to Tom Baker's.

++++++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR ++++++

Please reinstall the universe and reboot

(in reply to DiscoBoy)
Post #: 101
RE: Doctor Who - 21/1/2006 12:45:39 PM   
DiscoBoy

Maybe it's the Scottish thing

(in reply to Dragonfall 5)
Post #: 102
RE: Doctor Who - 21/1/2006 2:13:56 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozza

I wasn't even aware of any books existing!

And you call yourself a fan?

Apparently there was a lot of anger among hardcore fans because Rose's first time on an alien world happens in one of the books not the actual episodes.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 103
RE: Doctor Who - 21/1/2006 3:58:00 PM   
mumblin sumpthin

That's understandable, I waited the whole series to see the Doctor and Rose on an alien world and it never happened. If I was a hardcore (you know the score) fan rather than just a fan then I would probably be a bit pissed off too. I think Christopher Eccleston's Doctor was the first one that we never actually saw set foot on an alien world which is a shame.

"Oh fine! Let's just haul out our swords and start banging away at each other! That will solve everything!"

Post #: 104
RE: Doctor Who - 22/1/2006 11:44:22 AM   
Dragonfall 5

Slightly off topic, but nice avatar mumblin. Where did you get it?

Post #: 105
RE: Doctor Who - 22/1/2006 11:45:40 AM   
Vadersville

I don't see why the couldn't do it? They had a big enough budget and besides in the story from the book they're on the planet for about five minutes before they get arrested and sent to a prison!

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 22/1/2006 11:46:18 AM >

Post #: 106
RE: Doctor Who - 22/1/2006 12:18:44 PM   
V!nc3nt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

I don't see why the couldn't do it? They had a big enough budget...

From what I read, RTD wanted to ground the first series in as much reality as possible. That's why it's set on (or around) earth.

Post #: 107
RE: Doctor Who - 22/1/2006 12:40:46 PM   
Dragonfall 5

quote:

quote:

From what I read, RTD wanted to ground the first series in as much reality as possible. That's why it's set on (or around) earth.

Unfortunately this does mean that some of the episodes may date quite badly.  Just look at a lot of the Pertwee stuff from the 70's, where he was exiled on Earth.

(in reply to V!nc3nt)
Post #: 108
RE: Doctor Who - 22/1/2006 12:45:36 PM   
Indio

I think the Pertwee stuff hasn't dated THAT badly, sure the effects are as ropy as hell, and some of the synths on the soundtrack are a bit too over the top, but just look at some of the later Tom Baker and Peter Davison episodes for examples of stuff that was probably dated when they were FIRST shown.

Loads of awful glittery costumes that look like left-overs from a roller disco, and even aliens with Boney M hairstyles.

'Think about the future.'

Post #: 109
RE: Doctor Who - 22/1/2006 6:53:12 PM   
V!nc3nt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dragonfall 5

quote:

quote:

Unfortunately this does mean that some of the episodes may date quite badly.  Just look at a lot of the Pertwee stuff from the 70's, where he was exiled on Earth.

I don't see that as a bad thing though...the Pertwee 70's stuff looks like he's on Earth in the 70's because it's set in the 70's. If that makes sense.

Does it matter that Rose and the 9th Doctor look like they're on earth in 2005 seeing as that's when it's supposed to be set?

Post #: 110
RE: Doctor Who - 23/1/2006 12:08:02 PM   
Dragonfall 5

quote:

I don't see that as a bad thing though...the Pertwee 70's stuff looks like he's on Earth in the 70's because it's set in the 70's. If that makes sense.

Does it matter that Rose and the 9th Doctor look like they're on earth in 2005 seeing as that's when it's supposed to be set?

Not really, I suppose.  I just meant that because they are making an effort to ground the programme in a contemporary setting it will look old fashioned in ten or twenty years time whereas the historical stuff, or even the future stuff,  won't date so badly because it's supposed to be out of it's time already, if that makes sense.

Mainly, I just want to see more aliens.

(in reply to V!nc3nt)
Post #: 111
RE: Doctor Who - 23/1/2006 3:48:09 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

quote:

Not really, I suppose.  I just meant that because they are making an effort to ground the programme in a contemporary setting it will look old fashioned in ten or twenty years time whereas the historical stuff, or even the future stuff,  won't date so badly because it's supposed to be out of it's time already, if that makes sense.

Mainly, I just want to see more aliens.

I think the exact opposite. Stuff set in present day won't date at all because it is set in a time we already know exisits. Whereas people's views or ideas of the future constantly change and evolve and technology never seems to move as fast as people expect. Just check out Space 1999.

Post #: 112
RE: Doctor Who - 24/1/2006 5:22:04 PM   
DiscoBoy

The only problem with setting it in present day is that it is running on a completely alternate time line to ours and that could make it look dated...if that makes sense...not sure it makes sense to me actually...oh well.

Post #: 113
RE: Doctor Who - 24/1/2006 6:23:03 PM   
Dozy McGrew

quote:

The only problem with setting it in present day is that it is running on a completely alternate time line to ours and that could make it look dated...if that makes sense...not sure it makes sense to me actually...oh well.

Nerd.

No really.

It's not set on a different timeline it's called "FICTION." Look just think of it this way everytime something none linear and inexplicable happens in any sci fi show...just accept this answer. A Wizard did it.  (c) the simpsons circa 1998

Whatever happened to a willing suspension of disbelief?

We're in the stickiest situation since sticky the stick-insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

(in reply to DiscoBoy)
Post #: 114
RE: Doctor Who - 24/1/2006 8:25:17 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dozy McGrew

quote:

Nerd.

No really.

It's not set on a different timeline it's called "FICTION." Look just think of it this way everytime something none linear and inexplicable happens in any sci fi show...just accept this answer. A Wizard did it.  (c) the simpsons circa 1998

Whatever happened to a willing suspension of disbelief?

POSSIBLE SPOILER:

Apparently in one of the episodes they some how end up on a parallel universe Earth. Rose's dad is still alive and is leading some sort of resistance against aliens french resistance style.

(in reply to Dozy McGrew)
Post #: 115
RE: Doctor Who - 24/1/2006 10:38:51 PM   
mumblin sumpthin

quote:

Thank you. A very kind person made it for me.

Post #: 116
RE: Doctor Who - 25/1/2006 10:23:03 AM   
Dragonfall 5

quote:

I think the exact opposite. Stuff set in present day won't date at all because it is set in a time we already know exisits. Whereas people's views or ideas of the future constantly change and evolve and technology never seems to move as fast as people expect. Just check out Space 1999.

It's not so much that fact that it's set in the 00's, it's the fact that it's a contemporary setting just as a lot of Pertwee's stories where in a contemporary setting.  Times change, and technology changes, so anything filmed in the seventies is naturally going to date.  Computers in the 70's were always big filing cabinets with spinning tape reels at the top.  Now they are small things that sit on desks.  In twenty years time they'll look like something else.  I take your point about stories set in the future, but the historical stuff (the walking dead, the empty child etc) won't date as badly, beacause they are meant to be historical.  It doesn't mean that I don't enjoy those stories though.  I still love watching the Pertwee stuff.

To take this point further, if you set a story on an alien planet with no common reference to Earth, it can't date in the same way because the writers/designers can always argue that it's meant to look that way.

Does that make sense.

Post #: 117
RE: Doctor Who - 25/1/2006 10:24:40 AM   
Dragonfall 5

quote:

ORIGINAL: mumblin sumpthin

quote:

Thank you. A very kind person made it for me.

Ooooh, don't suppose they couold be persuaded to make me one?  If not, can I have that one when you get bored with it?

Post #: 118
RE: Doctor Who - 25/1/2006 1:36:53 PM   
V!nc3nt

quote:

Computers in the 70's were always big filing cabinets with spinning tape reels at the top.  Now they are small things that sit on desks.

Like I said before, I don't see that as a problem...look at them as 'historical' pieces then (like Empty Child etc). I reckon the alien world stuff dates far worse than the contemporary stuff - I'd rather see a 1970's computer than an alien world that's so obviously made of cheap foam and bubble-wrap.

Post #: 119
RE: Doctor Who - 25/1/2006 2:14:20 PM   
Dragonfall 5

quote:

quote:

Computers in the 70's were always big filing cabinets with spinning tape reels at the top.  Now they are small things that sit on desks.

Like I said before, I don't see that as a problem...look at them as 'historical' pieces then (like Empty Child etc). I reckon the alien world stuff dates far worse than the contemporary stuff - I'd rather see a 1970's computer than an alien world that's so obviously made of cheap foam and bubble-wrap.

Hmmm      I suspect we aren't going to agree on this point.   

(in reply to V!nc3nt)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Doctor Who Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI