Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The League of Gentlemen

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The League of Gentlemen Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The League of Gentlemen - 24/10/2005 12:28:19 PM   
The Reverend James Sweet

Who's your favourite character? For me, it has to be Pop, closely followed by Herr Lip. The way Pop goes off the rails when trying to convince Gary to sign the lease on his flat has me and my flatmate in stitches everytime.

"Then SHOW me! Prrrrrrrrrrove it to meeeeeeeeeeee, sign your name .... that's who you are!"
Post #: 1
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 16/2/2006 3:44:28 PM   
JIm R

Just got the full box set myself, what a show !! 

Brilliantly written and acted.  For me the Christmas special is the definitive small screen single episode ever.

Along with Spaced is the finest televison this country has ever produced.

Regards to favourite character has to be Papa L 'Hello Dave'

Well recommend the film as well if you haven't seen it.
Post #: 2
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 16/2/2006 4:00:07 PM   
Twizzle

Mickey M 'fire engine' Michaels & Papa Lazarou.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 3
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 16/2/2006 5:11:17 PM   
Smirken

Papa Lazarou scares the shit out of me! The best have to be Pauline and Mickey, very closely followed by Edward and Tubbs. The movie rocked! I'm so jealous you're seeing them in December tbird!

So, tell me, homeboy, how 'bout the baggy clothes we kids are wearin' these days? Aren't they phat and stupid and poppin' fresh?

(in reply to Twizzle)
Post #: 4
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 16/2/2006 5:14:32 PM   
tbird

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smirken
so jealous you're seeing them in December tbird!

I actually saw it December just gone. It was amazing!! Apparantly it's coming out on DVD in the winter...
I  met Mark Gatiss afterwards as well. He's such a lovely lovely man!

"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain"

(in reply to Smirken)
Post #: 5
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 16/2/2006 5:17:01 PM   
Smirken

quote:

ORIGINAL: tbird
I actually saw it December just gone. It was amazing!! Apparantly it's coming out on DVD in the winter...
I  met Mark Gatiss afterwards as well. He's such a lovely lovely man!

It's so unfair! *stamps feet in anger*  I'd rather meet Reece Shearsmith though. Mmmm, Reece ...

So, tell me, homeboy, how 'bout the baggy clothes we kids are wearin' these days? Aren't they phat and stupid and poppin' fresh?

(in reply to tbird)
Post #: 6
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 17/2/2006 1:42:21 PM   
tbird

quote:

I'd rather meet Reece Shearsmith though. Mmmm, Reece ...

Me too, but he sped away in a car before I had the chance. I did get a wave though!

He's appearing in the musical show of The Producers soon, did you know?

"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain"

(in reply to Smirken)
Post #: 7
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 17/2/2006 3:08:16 PM   
theappleman

Great show, Have still not seen the movie is that anygood anyone????
I read Trey Paker from southparks a fan to.

(in reply to tbird)
Post #: 8
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 17/2/2006 3:29:58 PM   
tbird

The movie is a bit of a disappointment. I still lvoe it cos I'm a big fan, but it just has too much going on in it at times and it's a bit muddles.

That said there are some genius moments in it though (I won't spoil them for you)

Geoff Tipps, Herr Lipp and Hilary Briss' characters are developed so well in it though that you just can't help but love them even more. Worth a watch!

(in reply to theappleman)
Post #: 9
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 17/2/2006 3:34:51 PM   
Joedini

I think i'm one of a very small group not to find anything about this show remotely funny. I really should give it another chance but I can't bring myself too. Is there a standout episode that might do the trick?

(in reply to tbird)
Post #: 10
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 17/2/2006 3:44:17 PM   
tbird

My favourite episode is The Lesbian and the Monkey from series 3 but I don't think that's the best place to start...

I would simply suggest either the first episode of the first series or the first episode of the second series cos they are quite good introductory ones.

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 11
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 17/2/2006 3:52:40 PM   
theappleman

It is a very dark comedy and you have to have a bit of a fucked up sense of humor for some of it.
It is really funny, give it another chance.

(in reply to tbird)
Post #: 12
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 18/2/2006 12:32:13 AM   
Joedini

I like most kinds of humour, this show just comes across as moronic, a show that shocks just for the sake of shocking.

But I will give it another go, can't really slag something off if I haven't tried it properly

Post #: 13
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 18/2/2006 3:46:26 PM   
Zaphod121

I hate this, it's crap

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 14
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 18/2/2006 3:53:52 PM   
theragingbull

So what would you call good zaphod???
You proberly dont understand it.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 15
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 18/2/2006 3:58:44 PM   
Joedini

I find it very strange that Appleman got a bit of a blasting yesterday, remained off line and now Raging Bull has appeared, types exactly the same way as appleman and has all the same opinions and posts in the same threads..... hmmmmm. These coincidences are pesky aren't they?!

Zaphod I can see 100% why you dislike it, i may still give it a second chance though

(in reply to theragingbull)
Post #: 16
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 18/2/2006 4:54:55 PM   
theappleman

That is strange. The blasting (as you say) will not stop me from coming on a site to debate about things. I have
clealy been the bad guy since i started coming on here, im fine with that, having many aguments and a few enermys, but i dont mean anything serious by it. All  i asked Ruffcut to do was say he dident mean it , which he wouldent, he was not even man anough to say if he meant it or not. So i said to him if he wants to say that to me for real lets meet up. Calling someone a silly ####### #### is asking for trouble dont you think.  I have just seen that short film of him anyway and if thats him im not surprised he is not up for meeting up.
Oh and Mozza i clearly said i did not want to be a mod even if i was asked because i want to argue with people about  movies and other things.

< Message edited by theappleman -- 18/2/2006 4:59:12 PM >

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 17
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 18/2/2006 4:59:35 PM   
Joedini

quote:

That is strange. The blasting (as you say) will not stop me from coming on a site to debate about things. I have
clealy been the bad guy since i started coming on here, im fine with that, having many aguments and a few enermys, but i dont mean anything serious by it. All  i asked Ruffcut to do was say he dident mean it , which he wouldent, he was not even man anough to say if he meant it or not. So i said to him if he wants to say that to me for real lets meet up. Calling someone a silly ####### #### is asking for trouble dont you think.  I have just seen that short film of him anyway and if thats him im not surprised he is not up for meeting up.

Im not getting into all this again. And asking someone to meet up makes the board sound like a teenage chat room.
Anyways debate over, enjoy the rest of your day

Post #: 18
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 18/2/2006 5:16:00 PM   
furrybastard

What the hell are you guys talking about, sounds awfully interesting!

I loved the LOG show. I can see why some peolpe wouldn't like it as the humour was quite grotesque at times and played off on all those old horror movie clichés. I think it was a really original show thuogh and completely different from everything out there. It could be terrifying, disgusting, hilarious and sad.

I really liked the film as well, especially what they did with Herr Lipp and how he was just a one joke character. Its amazing what they did with that character in the film and how sad it was too.

Anyway great series. I also think they should be commended for completely changing tack on the third series instead of just repeating themselves (hello, Little Britain) - it really did pay off.

Anyone know what they're going to do next now that they're done with Royston Vasey?

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 19
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 18/2/2006 7:38:12 PM   
Smirken

quote:

ORIGINAL: tbird

quote:

I'd rather meet Reece Shearsmith though. Mmmm, Reece ...

Me too, but he sped away in a car before I had the chance. I did get a wave though!

He's appearing in the musical show of The Producers soon, did you know?

Woah, I didn't know that! Shame I don't live in London, otherwise I would be there!  *blubs uncontrollably*

Loving your av tbird! Very nice indeedy!

(in reply to tbird)
Post #: 20
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 18/2/2006 9:28:19 PM   
RuffKut

quote:

ORIGINAL: theappleman

All  i asked Ruffcut to do was say he dident mean it , which he wouldent, he was not even man anough to say if he meant it or not. 

Jeez, are you still whining on about that? I didn't get chance to reply to you because (rightly so) your thread got locked when you went off on one.

Kid A kindly explained to you the meaning of my post. I didn't call you a silly c*nt, I mearly pointed out that if someone did call you a silly c*nt then their post would be edited - which Kid A then did to my post to illustrate the point.

I have no idea whether you're a silly c*nt or not.

I'm sure you're lovely.

quote:

I have just seen that short film of him anyway and if thats him im not surprised he is not up for meeting up.

That was a mate of mine in the film...I've told him what you said about him and after laughing his ass off for a while he asked me to let you know that he doesn't want to meet up with you because you sound like a silly c*unt.

Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies...

Post #: 21
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 18/2/2006 9:39:09 PM   
Mozza

quote:

ORIGINAL: theappleman
Oh and Mozza i clearly said i did not want to be a mod even if i was asked because i want to argue with people about  movies and other things.

What does this have to do with anything? At all?

Anyway, I noticed the League of Gentlemen box-set (1, 2, 3 and the Christmas Special) in HMV, and was wondering if it was worth a blind buy.

Is it a sitcom or a sketch show?

Post #: 22
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 18/2/2006 10:35:14 PM   
Kid A

Can everyone just stay on topic. Mods have the situation under control. Thanks.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 23
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 19/2/2006 11:37:53 AM   
theappleman

Anyway great series. I also think they should be commended for completely changing tack on the third series instead of just repeating themselves (hello, Little Britain) - it really did pay off.

Anyone know what they're going to do next now that they're done with Royston Vasey?

[/quote]Hopefully there going to do a sitcom or something, who knows. the main guy seems to be in quite alot of movies
These days.

PS; Forget about it Ruffcut, Just tell your freind his short movie was crap.Thanks

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 24
RE: The League of Gentlemen - 19/2/2006 12:49:24 PM   
Twizzle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozza

Anyway, I noticed the League of Gentlemen box-set (1, 2, 3 and the Christmas Special) in HMV, and was wondering if it was worth a blind buy.

Is it a sitcom or a sketch show?

It's a bit of both really, Moz.  I'd say buy it b/c I think you'd probably like it and if not, you can always sell it on.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The League of Gentlemen Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI