Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

A Bit Of Fry And Laurie

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> A Bit Of Fry And Laurie Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Bit Of Fry And Laurie - 20/7/2006 1:38:27 PM   
TheDudeAbides

I was just scanning the House MD thread when I was reminded of a time when Hugh Laurie was still shrill and gangly. The wonderful era of Fry and Laurie. With a name like a vaudeville act, this show rejuvenated the sketch show and continues to make me laugh like a lunatic whenever I catch it on Paramount Comedy at 2am or whenever. I only started watching a few months back, but I felt immediately at home because I was brought up on 5 year old taped Blackadder episodes. With Fry's wordy and hilarious rhetoric and Laurie's songs and banter, I love this show.

Does anyone else?

Reviews, film chat and the like at http://resilientlittlemuscle.blogspot.com

The Oxford Student - proud home of a film section somewhere between Siskel and Ebert: http://oxfordstudent.com/?cat=11

"Hammy is a stretch, I personally think he was just over zealous."
- IMDb reviewer on Dick Powell

"Good night, Papa. Machs gut."
Post #: 1
RE: A Bit Of Fry And Laurie - 20/7/2006 1:42:24 PM   
Peppermint

Yep, I loved it, but I'm glad they stopped doing it before they became totally unfunny like French & Saunders.

What's your favourite sketch?

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to TheDudeAbides)
Post #: 2
RE: A Bit Of Fry And Laurie - 20/7/2006 4:32:02 PM   
nicholsonsmhead

The funniest sketch, I reckon, was the Neighbours skit in the pilot episode,
'Well then, who am I?'
'I dunno mate, but it's your round' 
or the poem sketch with 'Inked Ravens of Despair Claw Holes In the Arse O f The World's Mind...now what kind of a title is that?'

Then again there's always this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-JDz72jx5w

'Does the codename 'Sapphire' mean anything to you?'

'Hey, what if we cross-circuit the accelerator? Might give us more er...er, ohms or something.'

'Hi, I'm Max Keller. I'm a seagull.'

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 3
RE: A Bit Of Fry And Laurie - 20/7/2006 4:37:46 PM   
Peppermint

They also did those piss takes of the perfume adverts

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to nicholsonsmhead)
Post #: 4
RE: A Bit Of Fry And Laurie - 21/7/2006 12:01:25 AM   
Spackhandy Choptubes

Yes, I'm a big fan of Fry and Laurie and have got most of their shows taped off the telly from 'back in the day' as I believe people say these days. My favourite sketch is probably their inspired Countdown spoof but honourable mentions go to 'Pass the Marmalade' and 'Bushwallyta', a bizarre sport in which the object is to make a picnic chair from whatever materials you have to hand.

I wondered how long it would take before these boards descended into some sort of French hidden buttock agenda.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 5
RE: A Bit Of Fry And Laurie - 21/7/2006 1:14:43 PM   
Spider

Seen the first Series and thought it was absolutely brilliant. Definetely better than any of the sketch shows we get nowadays that rely on constant repetition, here every sketch is a new character and they're all hilarious.

I love the mystery song!

My favourite sketch from Series 1 was when Fry was being a kind of literary critic, it's so funny. "Language, mark it for me, mark it", "theres chess, there's a game of chess". Also love the bit where the guy walks into a bookshop and asks for a history of England v Pakistan in cricket by "E Cunterblast".

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to Spackhandy Choptubes)
Post #: 6
RE: A Bit Of Fry And Laurie - 21/7/2006 1:29:40 PM   
wombathog

YOU WANT ME TO ARSE THE PARLOUR MAID?

...oh my name?  Yes it's L O Pages

They definitely came into their own after the first series, which was very Python-y. 
I'm pleased to say that years ago I got Stephen Fry to sign the 3 Bits of Fry & Laurie script book which I only remembered recently whilst watching the finally released DVDs.

What a quite delightful restaurant

DAMN IT JOHN! 

'Would you mind dear sir if I asked you a question, If music be the food of love are you the indigestion?'

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 7
RE: A Bit Of Fry And Laurie - 21/7/2006 9:15:12 PM   
TheDudeAbides

For some reason, I love the sketch where Fry is reading Laurie's imaginary obituary. Something like: "Hugh Laurie, better known as Hugh Laurie, was born Hugh Laurie in a working class household...which his parents had built onto their large estate in Glocester..." hehehehe

Reviews, film chat and the like at http://resilientlittlemuscle.blogspot.com

The Oxford Student - proud home of a film section somewhere between Siskel and Ebert: http://oxfordstudent.com/?cat=11

"Hammy is a stretch, I personally think he was just over zealous."
- IMDb reviewer on Dick Powell

"Good night, Papa. Machs gut."

(in reply to wombathog)
Post #: 8
RE: A Bit Of Fry And Laurie - 21/7/2006 9:25:09 PM   
nicholsonsmhead

'Where is the lid, where is the lid, where is the, where is the, where is the ,where is the li-i-i-id!'

'Does the codename 'Sapphire' mean anything to you?'

'Hey, what if we cross-circuit the accelerator? Might give us more er...er, ohms or something.'

'Hi, I'm Max Keller. I'm a seagull.'

(in reply to TheDudeAbides)
Post #: 9
RE: A Bit Of Fry And Laurie - 2/8/2006 3:17:25 AM   
Tarbie

I seem to remember a sketch where Stephen Fry plays Hugh Laurie's Edwardian father and is trying to tell him the facts of life:

Fry: "Son, do you ever wonder how you came to be born?"
Laurie: "Well, Papa. I simply assumed you inserted your penis into Mama's vagina and inseminated her ovaries."
Fry: "Hmmmm. That is what we told you, isn't it?"

I also likes Stephen Fry pretending to be Michael Jackson by moonwalking on a treadmill!

Their take on the Two Ronnies' "four candles" sketch also amused, where he was asking for stuff like felching pens.

"Sir is as dogged in his pursuit for the truth as Roy Walker - presenter of the never popular Catchphrase - is dogged in his pursuit for the possession of a thick earlet!".

THIS POST HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO YOU BY TIDYMAN'S CARPETS

'Silvertops' is a charming and witty New Zealand comedy that appeals to all generations. A genuine rib-tickler from start to finish. Well, it bloody will be if I can ever get the fecker made!

(in reply to nicholsonsmhead)
Post #: 10
RE: A Bit Of Fry And Laurie - 24/4/2010 10:13:57 PM   
demoncleaner

“It is now 27 Summers since Comrade Molensky stood slightly to the left of where you are now and told me that one day a man would come into this shop and give notice of his allegiance with the phrase “Good” “Morning”. Upon hearing those words Mr. Dalliard and I were to detonate our relatives and fly to Dover.”

(in reply to Tarbie)
Post #: 11
RE: A Bit Of Fry And Laurie - 25/4/2010 10:31:25 AM   
saturn5

My favourite was Hugh's musical numbers, also him trying to report his car stolen and 'Well I don't call myself a school, no'

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 12
RE: A Bit Of Fry And Laurie - 25/4/2010 3:29:09 PM   
Sotto Voce

Brilliant show, downloaded them all. I quite like the 'Mr. Simnark' sketch. And the two 50s spy-types, Tony Mercheson and 'Control'. Those sketches didn't really have punchlines, but somehow were pretty funny. Also remember their pretty spot-on spoof of 'Neighbours'. I've found loads of their sketches on youtube. It would be awesome they did a special or something together, if they can afford Hugh Laurie.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to saturn5)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> A Bit Of Fry And Laurie Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI